Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146542 times)

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #750 on: June 22, 2018, 10:13:46 AM »
Fallout 76 is going to be interesting, to say the least.

Haven't seen your avatar in a while, always thought it very cool!
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #751 on: June 22, 2018, 10:24:26 AM »
Currently waiting on Fallout 4:NV, a good weapons mod is millenia's texture mods however I mainly use the m39 emr from this mod
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/47801/

In other news for solokov's gaming career;

• bought and am playing through Prey... Recycled myself on accident within a minute of getting the recycler grenades, I plan to stack and recycle all the thingas in the ballistics lab later today
  • Got aotc Argus in world of Warcrack on tuesday
  • found the upper limit of Skyrim mods my computer can handle and not ctd every five minutes, it's in the ~166 number range... Although I've added another 8gb of ram since then so that number may have changed since then
  • also ordered a Sapphire Nitro+ rx580 8gb GPU yesterday when Newegg had it down to 278$... Gorram miners, but now I can shelve my rx450.

There's also a new one called Folks From Flagstaff that revamps the look of the Legion in a lore-friendly way. Great look overall.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #752 on: June 22, 2018, 02:26:49 PM »
Haven't seen your avatar in a while, always thought it very cool!

haven't been around much the past ~2 years, but ty! here's a source, in case you're curious. I remember I made it my avatar back when re:zero aired.

refract3d

« Reply #753 on: August 11, 2018, 11:42:03 AM »
Oh no, Stardew Valley update is out and so is Monster Hunter World. I actually want to play video games again. Probably should buy a controller for the sake of my poor abused wrist, though. Anyone else playing?
Native language: :usa:
A little :vaticancity: :japan: Korean
Learning :norway: :spain:

Ask me about cuttlefish!

JacobThomsen

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #754 on: August 21, 2018, 04:49:43 PM »
Only a little less than a month until LiS 2 is out, on my birthday even

Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Bhaskara

• Preferred pronouns: He/him
« Reply #755 on: December 01, 2018, 05:16:12 PM »
Currently playing:
Stardew Valley
Rimworld
9th dawn II

Previously playing/replaying:
Baldurs Gate (replaying)
Icewind Dale (replaying)
Pillars of eternity
Shadowrun returns and dragonfall

Always playing:
Dwarf fortress

“What is an anarchist? One who, choosing, accepts the responsibility of choice.”
Ursula K. Le Guin

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #756 on: December 02, 2018, 11:34:38 PM »
I've recently started playing the Rusty Lake game series. They're a bunch of escape room like apps and longer point and click desktop games. The art is good and each game goes further into the creepy, mysterious world. It's really quite dark at times, but I think people who like SSSS will like it. It's definetly in the sci-fi, horror, fantasy category.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Rhynerd

• Ranger
  • Positively Rhynerdy!
« Reply #757 on: December 02, 2018, 11:53:25 PM »
I've recently started playing the Rusty Lake game series. They're a bunch of escape room like apps and longer point and click desktop games. The art is good and each game goes further into the creepy, mysterious world. It's really quite dark at times, but I think people who like SSSS will like it. It's definetly in the sci-fi, horror, fantasy category.
I've heard about this series before, and I've looked a bit into Rusty Lake Hotel. There's temptations to look into the series but something about them makes me scared to look in, and it's not just the mosquito thing I remember seeing in the trailer to Rusty Lake Paradise. Perhaps one of these days I should dedicate a day to diving in and seeing what I become on the other end.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:
This fellow here Is responsible for my current avatar.

Glory

• DeviantArt
  • Learning to sketch. Slowly. Painfully.
« Reply #758 on: December 10, 2018, 01:56:25 PM »
Bit of an older game here, but has anyone else ever played Race the Sun? Picked it up for dirt cheap on Steam after seeing some 4-year-old YouTube videos, been having fun ever since. It's a endurance high-speed racing game, where the objective is to "race the sun" - going fast enough to keep the sun above the horizon line. A very simple game, but beautifully designed, and with workshop support.
Survived: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19:

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #759 on: December 11, 2018, 09:29:19 AM »
Elite Dangerous is about to do a massive update. Looking forward to the updated exploration mechanics.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #760 on: January 06, 2020, 03:40:24 PM »
(This thread is kinda dormant but this is the right place so).

I want to talk about a game I just finished playing:

Before saying anything else, an important note: Mutazione is a mostly narrative game; there is no difficult action/skill sequence, no obtuse puzzle, the game is almost entirely about seeing a story unfold by talking to people (you do have dialogues with multiple options, but I don't think they influence the narrative that much) and exploring the place on a relaxed pace. In fact I think it's impossible to get a game over in this game, and the worst thing that can happen is you rush through the game and miss many details of the story. I'm saying this so that people who don't usually play video games don't automatically pass over it, and so that people who are looking for intense gameplay experiences don't feel tricked if they give that game a try.

Ok, with this out of the way, let's get to the actual thing:

Mutazione is a narrative point-and-click game. You play as Kai, a late teenager/young adult girl who is travelling to the island of Mutazione to visit her ill grandfather. The island of Mutazione is a very peculiar place: struck by a meteor many decades ago, life was reborn there completely changed, and the island now has unique flora, fauna and even people, and seems to obey quite different rules from the rest of the world.

You will get to know the inhabitants, discover the peculiar local flora, and at the prompting of your grandfather, discover a form of musical gardening that might unlock the secrets of the island.

And I really really liked it? The overall story is pretty classic, but the game feels like it's less about that and much more about the little moments, all the interactions with the inhabitants and the island — it's a game that rewards curiosity; you can breeze through the game fairly quickly if you concentrate on your daily "goals", but it's much more interesting to wander around and talk to everyone — and these people have things to say! This game doesn't do the thing where once a character is "done" talking they just repeat the same last line of dialogue over and over; here, as long as you see the dialogue option appear, the character still has lines of dialogues you haven't heard (even if it's just to tell you to let them work now). Through these dialogues you get to know them as rich and complex characters, understand how the little society of their town works, hear about their dreams, aspirations, and difficulties.

As the story unfolds there is a fair bit of drama and adult themes popping up (loss, grief, guilt, lack of communication, trauma), but this is all done very carefully and without unneeded pathos, the game remains safe for all publics, or at least anyone who can handle Dark Crystal or Secret of NIMH will handle this without issue (to say nothing of SSSS readers).

The characters are also on point on the diversity side, in many different aspects of diversity, but I was particularly fond one character who's wheelchair-bound; he is very well written, shown as perfectly useful (he helps you several times during the game), but not reduced to that aspect, as he's also shown to have hobbies and activities of his own that aren't directly relevant to you. At the same time, his infirmity is not brushed asides, as there are frequent references to him needing the help of other people to move around, and he's not shown as perfect, impossibly resilient individual either — he has his own fears and traumas, but those are also not directly connected to his handicap, which is a part of him but doesn't define him. Superb writing here.

The town and its inhabitants feel very genuine, it reminded me of summer vacations as a kid, those long evenings in places both foreign and familiar, all doors and windows open, of small town festivals and food stands, of Miyazaki's quieter movies like My Neighbor Totoro or Kiki's Delivery Service.

And outside of that, the details that went into creating the natural environment of Mutazione are incredible. Animals are mostly in the background, but you can spot many species throughout the island, some of which only show up during certain hours in specific places. But the real strong point is the flora: the main designer of the game created about a hundred species of original plants and mushrooms, each with its own prefered environment and its own ornamental qualities — the game is, among other things, about gardening, so you will get to explore the island to look for seeds and spores of all the flora in order to create beautiful gardens — with music as your gardening tool of choice!

The game is also about spirituality, about music, about different ways to understand things, about not rushing things through, about friendship, about family, about community, about memory… This is a simple game with a simple story yet it feels like there's so much to unpack…

So to conclude, I really really recommend this to anyone who wants a relaxing time and a really well written story. At worst you could watch a playthrough of it on youtube just to get the story.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 07:13:30 PM by Hrollo »
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #761 on: January 07, 2020, 02:05:26 PM »
Hrollo, Mutazione seems very interesting! Just the sort of game I might want to try. I haven’t really played for a couple of decades now.

Except!! I finally got Horizon Zero Dawn for Christmas and I love it! Just like Featherviolas says, it’s beautiful and interesting. So much so that I have learned to play PS4 (I’ve never really played with a handheld controller before, except for some Angry Birds). I also think it could well interest people who are into adventure games and SSSS. The apocalypse is further in the past and Metal World (the old world) buildings are mostly just things in the landscape, and the monsters are robot beasts instead of Rash beasts, but there is some of the same spirit. And it’s very beautiful despite being almost three years old now. Try it!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #762 on: January 07, 2020, 03:45:17 PM »
As some of you might already know, I have recently started playing Darkest Dungeon. It's a side-scrolling dungeon crawler game with a grim, sorta Lovecraftian atmosphere and, of course, brutal difficulty to back it up. Adventurers can and will go insane and die, monsters are as threatening as they are hideous and the narrator doesn't waste any opportunity to spout ominous lines about how doomed you are. Simply put, brilliant. Inventory management is almost a game of its own - a constant struggle to maintain a balance between precious gems and heirlooms to upgrade your hub village with and supplies necessary to survive in the dungeon competing for the same, ever so limited, slots. The combat system is intensely tactical, with positioning being key and a variety of status effects and synergies. Adventurer classes are aplenty, each with a clear role in the party but also customizable to an extent. Every individual adventurer has their own strong points and flaws and can gain more as they continue to survive the missions. And I could go on, but I'm pretty sure you get the idea by now.

I haven't played video games much since I went to university, not just because of the lack of time but also due to the fact that I started to get bored of games very quickly. I picked up Darkest Dungeon on a Steam sale for Christmas and it was kind of a gamble on my part since I had no guarantee I wouldn't just get bored after two days like with everything else. I can confidently say I didn't and I can't wait for the next time I get rid of shovels in order to fit in more gold only to bump into an obstacle in the next hallway. 8.5/10, recommended for masochists.

PS: One of my favorite runs so far was when I went on an easy, short mission in order to level up my newly recruited Crusader. It was also one of the first times I had an Antiquitarian (a class sacrificing combat utility for an increased chance of valuable loot drops) in my party. The Crusader died and I didn't even care because I got back with so much money I didn't have to worry about financing my next few expeditions at all.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #763 on: January 07, 2020, 05:51:16 PM »
Horizon Zero Dawn is much the opposite of what you described Ran :) There the one and only character, you get skill points which you may distribute on a skill tree, but the skills are rather general. I play on the Story mode setting as I cannot fight (I keep frantically hitting the melee controls in the hope she hits, and in story mode she does) but it has several more difficult modes too :)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #764 on: January 07, 2020, 06:15:03 PM »
Horizon Zero Dawn is much the opposite of what you described Ran :) There the one and only character, you get skill points which you may distribute on a skill tree, but the skills are rather general. I play on the Story mode setting as I cannot fight (I keep frantically hitting the melee controls in the hope she hits, and in story mode she does) but it has several more difficult modes too :)
And that's great as well. Not everything needs to be for everyone, right?

I kinda wanted to try Horizon Zero Dawn, but it won't run on my computer and I can't afford a console, so I guess I won't.