Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146561 times)

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #720 on: December 12, 2017, 08:42:21 PM »
I don't even know what Kojima is anymore. I've lost the ability to comprehend.

/>

no wonder you're having trouble with chemistry, that trailer would warp anyone's head ;D
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #721 on: December 12, 2017, 08:52:27 PM »
no wonder you're having trouble with chemistry, that trailer would warp anyone's head ;D

This post made my day.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #722 on: December 15, 2017, 08:01:51 AM »
Zachtronics has just released their latest game, Opus Magnum, an alchemy-themed programming puzzle-game, essentially a highly improved version of their old free flash game The Codex of Alchemical Engineering.

I've already have 6 hours of gameplay on it >_>

Edit:

« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:21:40 AM by Hrollo »
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #723 on: December 17, 2017, 09:13:27 PM »

/>

Snatcher, but with monsters from another dimension.

Basically Half-Life 3.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

yung_chrysanthemum

« Reply #724 on: December 23, 2017, 04:13:44 AM »

/>

i was wondering why the dude in the trailer looked exactly like daryl from walking dead. the likeness isn't even uncanny!

but... who is mads mikkelsen?!

I finished Hyper Light Drifter. That was pretty neat.

how did you like it? i played it last year. pretty brutal. i think there was one part with moving walls that could smash you... i definitely burned like 5 hours just in that 1 single room...

not to mention the hours spent figuring out the timing for the bosses, the frog guy wasn't too bad, but the other bosses... just insane
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:

native: :usa:
reasonably good: :japan:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #725 on: December 23, 2017, 08:55:41 AM »
how did you like it? i played it last year. pretty brutal. i think there was one part with moving walls that could smash you... i definitely burned like 5 hours just in that 1 single room...

not to mention the hours spent figuring out the timing for the bosses, the frog guy wasn't too bad, but the other bosses... just insane

I liked it so much that after finishing easy mode, and I went back to replay it right away in normal mode, which I have also finished >_> I'm now playing "alternative" mode, which has a different characters who's faster, has significantly more powerful melee attacks, but has only 3 life points. After that I'll try hard mode, we'll see how far I can make it without giving up.

I agree with you on the bosses. Well, most of them once you figured the timing, they're not too hard especially the second time around. The one exception is the western boss zone, who's always nasty no matter how many times you've fought him before.

Parts with moving walls aren't too bad to me, what I find really difficult is the secret areas where to reach your goal you must succeed in making many consecutive dashes, and any faillure means starting back at the beginning of the zone. The one with the spikes, in the western zone, is particularly nightmarish.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 12:28:56 PM by Hrollo »

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #726 on: January 06, 2018, 10:20:17 AM »
How I got to the secret areas accessible only through dash in Hyper Light Drifter: spend a stupid amount of time trying to unlock the doors legitimately in that dash room in the town >.> (I eventually went with the keyboard to unlock them, but it worked wonders in building up skills in holding down long series of dashes with movement.)

I was going to replay Hyper Light Drifter last week in difficult mode, but I got Okami HD as an early birthday present \o/ I used to have it on the Wii (technically still do, but I don't own a Wii so it's a bit useless) and the one thing that deterred me from playing more than 3 hours in it were the awful load times everywhere. Add to that the slow dialogue, looking at the art style and going "this is actually pretty cool but needs a ton more resolution to be not painful to look at", and having to hijack the tv every time I wanted to play and I never played it more than twice.

The HD pc version has pretty much eliminated all those concerns, though! (Barring slow dialogue in cutscenes.) It's not a bad port. I do have some issues where any notification will reduce it from fullscreen mode and some settings never get saved, but they're minor. I've had it for two weeks and even with exam study, project work, and a ton of outings I've already got 17 hours in it, which is pretty rare for me :'D It's a super good game, incredibly beautiful (especially if you're a fan of Japanese brush art), and I'd recommend it to anyone.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #727 on: January 13, 2018, 09:59:14 AM »
I did it. I finished Hyper Light Drifter in hard mode.

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #728 on: January 23, 2018, 06:12:08 PM »
So we'll be getting Dark souls Remastered on all consoles, including on the switch!
Hopefully we won't be needing to download a mod patch for it.

Also happy to hear that Creative assembly's next historical game will be Total war: three kingdoms, playing in china, not sure how they will manage the "Heroes" we seems to be getting though...
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

Rhynerd

• Ranger
  • Positively Rhynerdy!
« Reply #729 on: January 24, 2018, 06:04:16 AM »
Anybody else questioning whether they should get Monster Hunter World or not?
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:
This fellow here Is responsible for my current avatar.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #730 on: January 24, 2018, 09:35:43 AM »
I got a switch this weekend and I've been glued to mario odessey ever since XD
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

That Bunny

• Just a bunny which thinks that it is a person.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/or just call me Bunny ;3
« Reply #731 on: January 24, 2018, 09:46:09 AM »
I got a switch this weekend and I've been glued to mario odessey ever since XD

*my dreams* :'D
Since I still can't have an Nintendo Switch, I guess that I have to continue playing Super Mario Galaxy (2) ::)
Fluent: :brazil: :germany: :uk:
Understand something: :france: :spain:
Want to learn: :japan: :finland: :russia:

:chap19:

Mr_Plinkett

« Reply #732 on: January 28, 2018, 09:38:36 PM »
Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy is by far the worst game ever made. Ever.

10/10 would recommend.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 09:40:34 PM by Mr_Plinkett »

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #733 on: February 02, 2018, 05:55:05 PM »
Doing a run out to colonia in elite dangerous and filming the progress, here's the first three five parts.

If I could get some feedback on my videos it would be appreciated, I want to know which works better, a bit of commentary at the start and then the super-speed bit condensing the flight, or the second video where I did commentary at the start, some super speed stuff, and then a bit more commentary when I reached the white dwarf before going back to super-speed.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 01:47:41 PM by Solokov »
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #734 on: February 03, 2018, 11:48:45 AM »
Doing a run out to colonia in elite dangerous and filming the progress, here's the first three parts.

If I could get some feedback on my videos it would be appreciated, I want to know which works better, a bit of commentary at the start and then the super-speed bit condensing the flight, or the second video where I did commentary at the start, some super speed stuff, and then a bit more commentary when I reached the white dwarf before going back to super-speed.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
The links doesn't seems to work, they all send me to where my own videos would be...if I had any
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3: