Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146681 times)

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #525 on: May 31, 2016, 01:57:20 PM »
Since I'm already on a ~posting roll~might as well shoot some updates this thread's way

Doom 2016 was pretty freaking good. Probably my favourite shooter in a while. It's essentially what a modern Doom should be. Lots of shooting and killing demons, and no dumb fluff. Though I appreciate the story present.
It's insane how they managed to cram so much personality into a walking talking power fantasy that is the main character. It's a case of actions being louder than words.

And God, the music. It's so good. Mick Gordon is a blessing to this world.

Currently hooked on Overwatch though, safe to say I did not regret preordered back in fall and I still don't. It's well worth the lowest asking price of 40 dollars (standard edition). It's fun, and doubly so with friends.
There's also a huge content update rumored to be coming out at the end of June, so I'm looking forward to it.

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #526 on: May 31, 2016, 03:42:07 PM »
Anyone here get the latest Total War games? Attila, and Warhammer IIRC. I'd like to know, because I want to know if they're worth buying, or if I should just abandon the franchise at this point.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #527 on: June 01, 2016, 09:15:02 AM »
This is actually a common problem with first person view games like Portal and SOMA. This is usually only a problem for me when a game has a very low Field of View or FOV. The FOV determines how much of the world is shown on the screen and a low FOV can feel like (to me at least) you're looking at the world with horse blinders on, or like you're zoomed in. Some games, like SOMA and Portal, have a setting in the options menu to adjust the FOV and making it larger might help with the motion sickness. SOMA actually has a pretty high FOV by default and if you set it much higher you might start to notice a fish-eye lens effect. I personally don't like that effect but some others might, if I'm adjusting the FOV I ususally bring it up until I start seeing the fish-eye effect and then bring it down a little until it stops bothering me.

Another simple thing to do is just try to sit further away from the monitor and play in a well lit room.

Ooooh I didn't know that was a thing you could adjust, thanks! I will look into it. SOMA doesn't make me nearly as motion sick as the first Portal did. I don't know if I'm getting used to it or if it's because it's newer or maybe a combination of both.

Right now I'm actually stuck in SOMA trying to run away from a monster and maneuver through a sunken ship... all on a laptop trackpad...  ::)  I actually made it down the stairs for the first time yesterday
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #528 on: June 01, 2016, 09:19:03 AM »
I think I remember that monster and the trick to beating it.
Struggled a bit on that part myself until I realized what its deal was.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #529 on: June 01, 2016, 09:22:41 AM »
I think I remember that monster and the trick to beating it.
Struggled a bit on that part myself until I realized what its deal was.

It's the one where literally if you look at it, your health suffers.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #530 on: June 01, 2016, 11:34:57 AM »
It's the one where literally if you look at it, your health suffers.

Yeah it's pretty shy. I kept clinging to the walls so that I wouldn't accidentally look at it.

SOMA's a great game but I have to say it's a tad too short for my liking. It would have been great if it was as long as it was allegedly supposed to be.

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #531 on: June 01, 2016, 01:58:25 PM »
Ooooh I didn't know that was a thing you could adjust, thanks! I will look into it. SOMA doesn't make me nearly as motion sick as the first Portal did. I don't know if I'm getting used to it or if it's because it's newer or maybe a combination of both.

Right now I'm actually stuck in SOMA trying to run away from a monster and maneuver through a sunken ship... all on a laptop trackpad...  ::)  I actually made it down the stairs for the first time yesterday
I think I remember that part in SOMA. I got stuck there for a little bit until I kind of accidentally stumbled the correct way. Most annoying part in the game imo.
Pretentious? Moi?

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #532 on: June 01, 2016, 02:06:09 PM »
I think I remember that part in SOMA. I got stuck there for a little bit until I kind of accidentally stumbled the correct way. Most annoying part in the game imo.

Yes do you want to come to canada and beat that part for me  :P

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #533 on: June 01, 2016, 02:36:11 PM »
Helped my brother-in-law once with a game he was struggling with, somehow beat it on first try. He did not like me for the rest of the day.

Anyone here get the latest Total War games? Attila, and Warhammer IIRC. I'd like to know, because I want to know if they're worth buying, or if I should just abandon the franchise at this point.
Got it, got them all actually. I enjoy the franchise and Warhammer runs really well but it is a fantasy game so it depends on what you like. Rome II was a disaster but the games after that have worked fine for me. (I'm playing on a laptop and recommends Radious mods.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 02:52:02 PM by Basse »
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #534 on: June 01, 2016, 02:44:18 PM »
If you keep having troubles then there is a mod someone made for the game that makes the enemies not attack or hurt you. Some say it makes the game better because the monsters are the least interesting part about the game.
Here it is: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=560988617
If you have the game on Steam then you can just log in there and click subscribe and Steam will install it for you. Then you launch the game and choose play with mod.
But you will also have to manually copy the your saved game files into a new location so you don't have to start over.
Pretentious? Moi?

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #535 on: June 01, 2016, 02:47:16 PM »
If you keep having troubles then there is a mod someone made for the game that makes the enemies not attack or hurt you. Some say it makes the game better because the monsters are the least interesting part about the game.
Here it is: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=560988617
If you have the game on Steam then you can just log in there and click subscribe and Steam will install it for you. Then you launch the game and choose play with mod.
But you will also have to manually copy the your saved game files into a new location so you don't have to start over.

Oooh! I might try that. I've been stuck for a week and a half and I really want to move on because I am in love with the story. How does one manually copy the saved game files?

Edit: nevermind figured it out

Edit2: apparently that is the one part of the game where it can't stop the monster from chasing you... *headdesks*
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:14:52 PM by Feartheviolas »

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #536 on: June 01, 2016, 03:25:06 PM »
Hmm, I was reading a bit about the mod and apparently it doesn't work during chase sequences which is kind of a bummer.

SOMA's a great game but I have to say it's a tad too short for my liking. It would have been great if it was as long as it was allegedly supposed to be.
I disagree about the length. I think SOMA's length is pretty much perfect for a game that's trying to tell a story. If it's much longer the story becomes hard to follow and full of filler that's not interesting.

Edit: You might just have to get a mouse then. They're not expensive.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:27:10 PM by Double H »
Pretentious? Moi?

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #537 on: June 01, 2016, 08:39:50 PM »
story becomes hard to follow and full of filler that's not interesting.

hmm, sounds like most anime ever? ;)

And I absolutely second the idea of buying a mouse. Get a cheap one, and it's much better than trying to work with a track pad.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #538 on: June 06, 2016, 06:18:10 AM »
And I absolutely second the idea of buying a mouse. Get a cheap one, and it's much better than trying to work with a track pad.

It's not cheap, but can I suggest a vertical mouse? It takes a little getting used to, but is SO much better for your wrist, particularly if you have (or don't want!) carpal tunnel issues.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #539 on: June 06, 2016, 01:48:29 PM »
It's not cheap, but can I suggest a vertical mouse? It takes a little getting used to, but is SO much better for your wrist, particularly if you have (or don't want!) carpal tunnel issues.

Ooh that sounds really fancy. I am sadly a cheap student. I just borrowed my roomies mouse :P Still can't beat it though. I am rubbish at running around corners.