Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146629 times)

Regolith247

• DeviantArt
  • Prepare for Lunacy
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #510 on: April 22, 2016, 05:31:19 PM »
Hawken. Free and great graphics.

I second Hawken! Also, in a fight, I would say that a jaeger would win, since the drift system offers a much faster response time than the controls that a Mechwarrior uses, if I remember right. That would offer a massive advantage, even if jaegers seem not to be equipped with much ranged weaponry.

Any Splinter Cell fans?
"It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time... The losses are what defines a mans faith."
-Brandon Sanderson, The Well of Ascension

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hi. I'm G0vnah, or Stanley, or Stan. Whichever.
« Reply #511 on: April 22, 2016, 06:31:34 PM »
Also, has anyone else fallen into the spare-time consuming black hole that is Enter the Gungeon? Because oh my gosh...

...addictive doesn't even begin to describe it. It's frustrating, exciting, entertaining, and great all at once. It's a bullet hell rougelike with tons of awesome enemies, items, and everything being randomly generated. I haven't had this much fun with a game since Super Mario World, I believe. Holy cow.
ABOUT ME: INTJ; Writer/Filmmaker/Storyteller/Animator/Musician; Coffee Addict; Christian Fundamentalist; Pizza lover; Fan of Sweeney Todd (esp. the 2001 Concert Version); American, English speaker; Used to know Spanish; Want to learn Spanish (again), Gaelic, Irish, German, Russian... heck, anything, really; Chances of actually finding time to learn another language: slim to none; Sci Fi Geek; Film Geek; Fantasy Geek; "Steveles" on Fanfiction.net; KS City Chiefs Fan

dangranos

• Super-Newbie
  • Preferred pronouns: he
« Reply #512 on: April 24, 2016, 01:13:53 AM »
Also, has anyone else fallen into the spare-time consuming black hole that is Enter the Gungeon? Because oh my gosh...

...addictive doesn't even begin to describe it. It's frustrating, exciting, entertaining, and great all at once. It's a bullet hell rougelike with tons of awesome enemies, items, and everything being randomly generated. I haven't had this much fun with a game since Super Mario World, I believe. Holy cow.

Oh gosh, the puns. I tried playing this 'Enter the Gungeon' but i gave up on the first chamber (after i nearly killed it three times). And amount of gun-puns is overwhelming.

Also hi. Wanted to write, well, anything on the forums so dropped into this thread.
Fluent: :uk: :russia:

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #513 on: April 24, 2016, 12:27:24 PM »
Just going to stop by to say that even on the nth playthrough, Dishonored is still probably the best stealth game I've played in ages. Also, for anyone else who plays it, I've found an interesting video that suggest a couple of playstyles you might not have tried.
Dishonored is one of my favorite games and according to Steam I haven't played it since 2013? Wow, it doesn't seem that long but I think it's time for a replay and this video has some excellent ideas for playstyles I haven't tried before. I love how it allows for so many ways to play the game and how every time I replay it I find something new I haven't seen before.

I've been playing a lot of games recently after almost not playing anything for a few months, finished playing The Witcher 3 and even after playing for over 90 hours I still haven't had enough of that world so I'll definitely be buying the expansions. After finishing that I read an article about Red Faction: Guerilla and I remembered I bought that game years ago but had never played it so I decided to finally do that and I did. It's a fun game but It kinda makes me rather want to play Just Cause.
After that I had an urge to replay the Portal games which are very, very good games still and I recommend them to anybody even if they don't usually play games. Playing those games made me wan to replay Half Life 2 so I played that and Episode 1 (I'll play Episode 2 soon). It's still a very good game now the flaws are starting to become more obvious to me.

This weekend Rocket League is having a free weekend and a sale and since I've heard so good things about it I decided to check it out even though I rarely play multiplayer games. It is amazing! I had no idea a game where you play football(soccer) with cars could be this much fun.  Competitive multiplayer games can make me stressed and that definitely happens in this game to but the matches are short and there isn't really a pressure to do well just have fun so I like it.
Pretentious? Moi?

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hi. I'm G0vnah, or Stanley, or Stan. Whichever.
« Reply #514 on: April 24, 2016, 12:33:51 PM »
Oh gosh, the puns. I tried playing this 'Enter the Gungeon' but i gave up on the first chamber (after i nearly killed it three times).
Oh, yeahhh. lol. Did I mention that it is really filled to the brim with explosions, shooting, and bullets? Because that is very true, lol.
And amount of gun-puns is overwhelming.
That it is. I love it so much! More like "Enter the PUNgeon," am I right? Ahahahaaaaah
Also hi. Wanted to write, well, anything on the forums so dropped into this thread.
Welcome and hi! :D
ABOUT ME: INTJ; Writer/Filmmaker/Storyteller/Animator/Musician; Coffee Addict; Christian Fundamentalist; Pizza lover; Fan of Sweeney Todd (esp. the 2001 Concert Version); American, English speaker; Used to know Spanish; Want to learn Spanish (again), Gaelic, Irish, German, Russian... heck, anything, really; Chances of actually finding time to learn another language: slim to none; Sci Fi Geek; Film Geek; Fantasy Geek; "Steveles" on Fanfiction.net; KS City Chiefs Fan

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #515 on: May 07, 2016, 11:00:40 PM »
There is some new stuff being released by FailbetterGames and I am SO. HYPED.

First off: a soundtrack for Fallen London, by the same studios that made the soundtrack for Sunless Sea.

and, some information on Zubmariner, the upcoming DLC for Sunless Sea!
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Guardian G.I.

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • and normal people close
« Reply #516 on: May 13, 2016, 02:25:32 PM »
Most of my free time over the past few days has been taken over by Stellaris, the new strategy game by Paradox Interactive.

Like other Paradox games, it's a bit buggy right now and requires some time to be patched (major problems include lethargic AI and unintuitive sector mechanics), but even in this rough state it's much better than other 4X games out there - I especially like Stellaris's race customization options.
I didn't expect much from it, but it looks like the devs truly made space great again.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 02:27:04 PM by Guardian G.I. »
Fluent: :russia:
Very rusty:
Can understand, but not speak: :ukraine:
Learning: :uk: :germany:

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #517 on: May 15, 2016, 07:42:35 PM »
I just lost most of the weekend in a game of Civ V. I'm happy to report that the Shoshone are dominating the planet with their Cavalry and Frigates.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Regolith247

• DeviantArt
  • Prepare for Lunacy
« Reply #518 on: May 16, 2016, 10:06:35 AM »
I just lost most of the weekend in a game of Civ V. I'm happy to report that the Shoshone are dominating the planet with their Cavalry and Frigates.

Always an amusing contradiction when Civilization games end up like that. By the way, this is slightly off topic, but I'm building a gaming PC... anyone have experience with that kind of thing? Here's the part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BhXznQ
"It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time... The losses are what defines a mans faith."

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #519 on: May 16, 2016, 01:48:19 PM »
Always an amusing contradiction when Civilization games end up like that. By the way, this is slightly off topic, but I'm building a gaming PC... anyone have experience with that kind of thing? Here's the part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BhXznQ
Seems nice as far as I can tell but you might want to wait at least until after 1st of june to buy a graphics card. AMD is going to be releasing their new GPUs then and they are rumored to be very powerful cards for low prices. So you might be able to get something a lot more power for your money than that GTX 950.
Pretentious? Moi?

Regolith247

• DeviantArt
  • Prepare for Lunacy
« Reply #520 on: May 21, 2016, 09:59:31 PM »
Seems nice as far as I can tell but you might want to wait at least until after 1st of june to buy a graphics card. AMD is going to be releasing their new GPUs then and they are rumored to be very powerful cards for low prices. So you might be able to get something a lot more power for your money than that GTX 950.

Cool! Do you know what those cards are called? Sounds like the kind of thing that I could really use!

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #521 on: May 22, 2016, 12:11:06 PM »
Cool! Do you know what those cards are called? Sounds like the kind of thing that I could really use!
AMD haven't said what they are called, but they have announced that they are going to have an event with CPU and GPU news on may 31st/june 1st.
Most likely they will be called Radeon R9 4XX (four hundred something).
Pretentious? Moi?

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #522 on: May 27, 2016, 07:40:23 AM »
So I have recently been getting into video games. I've played Portal and Portal 2 in the past, then I tried out Half-life, realized I didn't like games where you shoot people, and I've moved on to SOMA, which is really creepy and really interesting so far and hasn't required me to shoot any people.  :))

I do have a question though, when I'm playing video games (I play on my computer) I get carsick/motionsick. It's not as bad with the newer ones, but some of them if I play longer than 30 min I am really nauseous. Is there any way to make this go away? Does anyone else find this happens to them? I didn't grow up playing video games. This is kind of my first foray into the world of gaming, so I am pretty new to this.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #523 on: May 27, 2016, 10:30:38 AM »
So I have recently been getting into video games. I've played Portal and Portal 2 in the past, then I tried out Half-life, realized I didn't like games where you shoot people, and I've moved on to SOMA, which is really creepy and really interesting so far and hasn't required me to shoot any people.  :))

I do have a question though, when I'm playing video games (I play on my computer) I get carsick/motionsick. It's not as bad with the newer ones, but some of them if I play longer than 30 min I am really nauseous. Is there any way to make this go away? Does anyone else find this happens to them? I didn't grow up playing video games. This is kind of my first foray into the world of gaming, so I am pretty new to this.

Well, carsickness would make sense when playing Portal/Portal 2, because there's a lot of fast motion, and flipping around because of coming out of a portal upside down, etc. It can be quite nauseating sometimes! You should be fine if playing other games, most aren't as fast-paced as the Portal ones. (Also, while you're at it can I recommend Portal Stories: Mel? It's a fan-made expansion for Portal 2, which about doubles the playable levels, and adds a whole new story to play through. While fan-made, it's endorsed by Valve as well!)

I'm not sure how much this would help with the nausea but I would recommend always keeping a glass of water on hand, because it's easy to become dehydrated (especially when you get really absorbed in a game!)  :)

tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #524 on: May 27, 2016, 12:39:37 PM »

This is actually a common problem with first person view games like Portal and SOMA. This is usually only a problem for me when a game has a very low Field of View or FOV. The FOV determines how much of the world is shown on the screen and a low FOV can feel like (to me at least) you're looking at the world with horse blinders on, or like you're zoomed in. Some games, like SOMA and Portal, have a setting in the options menu to adjust the FOV and making it larger might help with the motion sickness. SOMA actually has a pretty high FOV by default and if you set it much higher you might start to notice a fish-eye lens effect. I personally don't like that effect but some others might, if I'm adjusting the FOV I ususally bring it up until I start seeing the fish-eye effect and then bring it down a little until it stops bothering me.

Another simple thing to do is just try to sit further away from the monitor and play in a well lit room.
Pretentious? Moi?