Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146541 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #495 on: March 13, 2016, 06:06:40 PM »
*coughwouldn'thavetakenyouthislongifyouhadn'tbeenstabbingdefencelessfrogssneeze*

IT WAS JUST ONE FROGGIT AND IT WAS AN ACCIDENT

Anyway I didn't regret restarting for a moment. Undyyyyyyyyyne!!! :-*

So how about them camping mattresses

Sometimes... sometimes cosplay must happen. *cough* I mean what camping mattresses. Those under the sofa? Oh those are... other camping mattresses and you can't prove anything.

Btw a fun anecdote from today, before the tv thing: I was chatting with the others and mentioned my Undyne cosplaying dreams, and randomly said I'd shave my hair off. They almost believed it. Almost. I'm happy people are already somewhat unable to guess how far I'd go for cosplay's sake! ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 06:16:45 PM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #496 on: March 13, 2016, 06:15:48 PM »
Btw a fun anecdote from today, before the tv thing: I was chatting with the others and mentioned my Undyne cosplaying dreams, and randomly said I'd shave my hair off. They almost believed it. Almost. I'm happy people are already somewhat unable to guess how far I'd go for cosplay's sake! ;D

Yeah who would fall for that *Fimbot4200 remembers Laufey saying shaving was out of the question a year ago*

My sister had me backtrack all the way to the start to talk to Asriel when I beat him. Not going to recommend that, so here, youtube (spoilers).

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #497 on: March 13, 2016, 06:23:53 PM »
Yeah who would fall for that *Fimbot4200 remembers Laufey saying shaving was out of the question a year ago*

I had to honestly pause for a while to figure that one out - oh yes, Furiosa. Indeed, I probably wouldn't shave myself bald for cosplay, probably.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #498 on: March 13, 2016, 07:15:57 PM »
Laufey > congratulation on finishing Undertale \o/
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Zalli

• Super-Newbie
  • A Finnish nerd.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him
« Reply #499 on: April 14, 2016, 04:24:17 PM »
Just popping a recommendation here for a game called Life is Strange. It's an episodic adventure game (from the same studio that made Remember Me if that sells it to anyone) about two teenagers discovering something's seriously amiss in their sleepy Oregon hometown. I think the best way I could describe it is like a cross between Donnie Darko, Twin Peaks and Gravity Falls.
I don't want to go into too much detail as I think this is a game that is best experienced all but blind, but I will say there's a strong central mechanic based around time travel and the writing and voice acting are both absolutely top-notch (although the plot wavers in places and listening to a French development team trying to write modern American slang can get a bit awkward). I finished it last week and I'm still reeling a little bit from it...
Yea LIS was kinda nice but weird. It wasn't a bad game, but the ending felt rushed and left something to be desired.
It feels a lot like a Telltale game but the story has different themes and it's less linear (more choices that actually matter! WOW) so I recommend that people buy it if they like games like those.
(also, duck Warren, he's annoying)
Native: :finland:
Great:  :uk:
Awful:  :sweden: :germany:

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hi. I'm G0vnah, or Stanley, or Stan. Whichever.
« Reply #500 on: April 14, 2016, 06:14:37 PM »
I just finished playing Undertale and I'm not ok. Excuse me, I'm going to have to lie down a bit and then spend some time painting a certain red-headed captain who's not Sigrun. Who gave this game a permission to give me all these feelings?!
What a coincidence! I just finished it for the first time.

Although... I didn't cry, or even tear up. The neutral ending's final boss (when it made its first shocking appearance, even) made me giddy like a little schoolchild. That is my *FAVORITE* character, without a doubt.

All others were... not fun.

And Muffet, to a lesser extreme, was awesome (she has the best music in the soundtrack). All else felt like a sluggish chore to me, lol. To be clear: I get why so many people like it, but - personally? - eh. *shrug* if I could have those hours of my life back, I'd gladly take 'em. RPGs are *NOT* my thing, but - hey - now I can finally have that defense when I say I'm not a fan: I actually played it and yet still didn't care for it. :)
ABOUT ME: INTJ; Writer/Filmmaker/Storyteller/Animator/Musician; Coffee Addict; Christian Fundamentalist; Pizza lover; Fan of Sweeney Todd (esp. the 2001 Concert Version); American, English speaker; Used to know Spanish; Want to learn Spanish (again), Gaelic, Irish, German, Russian... heck, anything, really; Chances of actually finding time to learn another language: slim to none; Sci Fi Geek; Film Geek; Fantasy Geek; "Steveles" on Fanfiction.net; KS City Chiefs Fan

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #501 on: April 16, 2016, 08:39:58 PM »
Firewatch, anyone?
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Regolith247

• DeviantArt
  • Prepare for Lunacy
« Reply #502 on: April 16, 2016, 09:04:21 PM »
Firewatch, anyone?

Good game! I think my favorite part is about midway through when the air is getting really smoky, making the sky look red. Also, I can imagine a sort of SSSS version, where a lone Cleanser is out in the middle of nowhere with just a radio.
"It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time... The losses are what defines a mans faith."
-Brandon Sanderson, The Well of Ascension

OwlsG0

« Reply #503 on: April 16, 2016, 09:55:16 PM »
Good game! I think my favorite part is about midway through when the air is getting really smoky, making the sky look red. Also, I can imagine a sort of SSSS version, where a lone Cleanser is out in the middle of nowhere with just a radio.

No kidding! The whole way through, I was thinking about how cool it would be if this were Emil wandering around a piney forest, maybe with Tuuri or Lalli in his ear.
I also love the song 'Old Shoshone', which is part of the OST
I saw the future.

Regolith247

• DeviantArt
  • Prepare for Lunacy
« Reply #504 on: April 17, 2016, 02:52:18 AM »
A game that I would really like to play- which also works as a movie- is Quantum Break. Centered around time travel, the writers had a lot of fun messing with continuity, as well as depicting the effects of a world where time can reverse, speed up, and stop entirely, at unpredictable intervals.
"It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time... The losses are what defines a mans faith."
-Brandon Sanderson, The Well of Ascension

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #505 on: April 22, 2016, 01:24:54 AM »
I think I've found my ultimate game obsession. . .MechWarriors Online. If anyone has dreamed of fighting in giant robots this is for you. it's got missiles, lasers, machine guns, and more.  someone help me
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

OwlsG0

« Reply #506 on: April 22, 2016, 02:12:13 AM »
I think I've found my ultimate game obsession. . .MechWarriors Online. If anyone has dreamed of fighting in giant robots this is for you. it's got missiles, lasers, machine guns, and more.  someone help me

Instead I think I might feed the obsession. If you love the whole big-bad-ass-bots genre already, you're probably aware of these already. But if not? Then a good place to start with movies and anime are Code Geass, Evangelion, Transformers and Pacific Rim. Those are the biggest franchises I can think of, relating to gigantic robots.
But I'm pretty sure you will have already heard of those.
I saw the future.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #507 on: April 22, 2016, 05:06:33 AM »
Just going to stop by to say that even on the nth playthrough, Dishonored is still probably the best stealth game I've played in ages. Also, for anyone else who plays it, I've found an interesting video that suggest a couple of playstyles you might not have tried.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #508 on: April 22, 2016, 01:34:32 PM »
Instead I think I might feed the obsession. If you love the whole big-bad-ass-bots genre already, you're probably aware of these already. But if not? Then a good place to start with movies and anime are Code Geass, Evangelion, Transformers and Pacific Rim. Those are the biggest franchises I can think of, relating to gigantic robots.
But I'm pretty sure you will have already heard of those.

I actually don't like Transformers. I like the more 'piloting' ones. I do love Pacific Rim, and have been wondering if a Battlemech(more accurately the Clan's Timber Wolf/Mad Cat) could go toe to toe with a Jeager. 
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #509 on: April 22, 2016, 01:57:14 PM »

Hawken. Free and great graphics.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.