Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 145450 times)

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #810 on: April 17, 2021, 09:55:20 PM »
Ooh, Grey, thanks for the heads-up about the free game deal! I got and downloaded The First Tree last night when I was feeling pretty bad (in a tired, foggy kind of way) and it was really good - that kind of game with the nice graphics and fairly chill gameplay and unfolding narrative is right up my alley, so thanks for pointing me towards it!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #811 on: April 24, 2021, 01:59:08 AM »
Ah yes, EGS offers. I've claimed so many games there over the years, and am yet to actually play at least one  :'D Still, it's always a great opportunity to get familiar with quality indie games.

To add to the stream of suggestions, I propose to you probably my favourite game, Disco Elysium. It's an isometric RPG, heavily inspired by Planescape: Torment (also highly recommended, although it's a bit old), hence the gameplay focused mainly on dialogue and an amnesiac main character. The watercolor visuals are stunning, the soundtrack, composed by British Sea Power, is on spot, and the writing! Oh, the writing. I ended up organizing an album with screenshots of my favourite conversations, and now that you can switch between two languages of your choice with just one button, I may have to add more screenshots in my native language. The game also has unique skill set, which affects the skill checks (well, obviously) and greatly adds to your dialogues and overall perception of events, as each skill is actually a voice in your head and has lots to say if you are able to pass a passive skill check. That said, it should be noted that DE features quite a few of heavy themes, including different political stances, which you can support or reject, graphic depictions of dead bodies, alcoholism, drug addiction, suicidal tendencies (depends on dialogue choices, but still), war, existentialism.. yeah, a few. But there are still many fun and wholesome moments, and your partner will try his best to support you through everything. I was happy to see that there are characters with diverse backgrounds and lgbtq+ representation, too. Here's a trailer of the final version, if you are interested. DE is on sale in Steam until the end of the month.

Native: :russia:
Somewhat okay: :uk:
Know a few words: :sweden:

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #812 on: April 24, 2021, 11:06:03 AM »
Kis, thanks for the suggestion! I will check it on steam. The only problem is that I also have been collecting games form the EGS for a long time. I played a few, but there's still a good lot waiting for me... :)

Speaking of it, this week the offer is different, including Hand of Fate 2 (that I don't know anything about) and Alien Isolation. This one is the exact opposite of the previous week's games. The player is alone in a ship, in the company of a xenomorph! And you have to hide the best you can while trying to find clues to escape. I never played it, but I saw some videos and its terrifying and nerve wrecking.
You can even imagine that this is an SSSS setting where you are Emil (there is a flamethrower, the sole weapon that won't kill the thing but can make it retreat for a while) and the alien is the twin of the xenotroll that bit Tuuri. The First Rule is valid, it seems. If you stand still and stay silent the beast might (or not) go away...

(I already have it in my library - it was free previously, months ago - but still haven't found myself with enough courage in the right mood to try)

Funny thing, this game can be seen as a distant heir of the first 3D game that I recall playing, back in 1982,
3D Monster Maze
(yes, for the Sinclair ZX81, yes, you had to load it from a cassette tape, yes, I'm that old :)  )

The link is:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 07:15:50 PM by thegreyarea »
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #813 on: April 25, 2021, 05:01:00 AM »
(yes, for the Sinclair ZX81, yes, you had to load it from a cassette tape, yes, I'm that old :)  )
Spoiler: show

I still remember visiting a younger friend who had bought one, and having a "seriously now!?" moment when he started loading something and we got to watch the data fly by as hi-contrast color bars in the screen border ... sure good neither of us was an epileptic. XoX
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #814 on: April 25, 2021, 07:07:34 PM »

I still remember visiting a younger friend who had bought one, and having a "seriously now!?" moment when he started loading something and we got to watch the data fly by as hi-contrast color bars in the screen border ... sure good neither of us was an epileptic. XoX

Oh yes! That was so "fun"! Particularly when after several minutes loading something went wrong and you had to start again...
And that part about "tunning" by ear the right volume level on the cassette player while listening to it screaming the data? And how much one desired to have a serious computer with a floppy disk drive and it's amazing 360Kb...
I must stop before turning this in a deep dive in the past. :) But despite these problems I did have fun with those games!
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #815 on: April 30, 2021, 04:55:15 AM »
This week, until May 5 2021, the free game is... already free! :) But you can claim some free extra content (characters and such) that would cost a lot of money...
The game itself isn't my cup of tea: Basically a side-scroll where you must go on choosing which attack to use against the incoming enemies. But it's colourful and (seems to be) well done.
It's Dungeons & Dragons' Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms. You can claim a content pack worth $100 (so they say. I'd never give that much... but it seems that are some that will) featuring a handful of playable champions. And it's on the Epic store. For those that want to give it a try, here is the link

Next week game, starting May 6, seems more interesting. I'll get back to it later.
All the best!

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #816 on: May 11, 2021, 07:12:28 PM »
There's a new free game on the usual place, but just until May 13. It's called "Pine" and looks pretty. Is it good? I don't know, but already added it to my library! :) I'll let you know if I find time to try it.
BTW after May 13 there will be a new free game, "The Lion's Song", that looks intriguing and beautiful (even if a little... pixelated :) ).

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #817 on: May 12, 2021, 12:46:32 PM »
My brain's reaction to City of Hunger being cancelled and temporarily seemingly having its blog purged can be boiled down to "Hey, how about you buy the Switch port of an indie game with the rest of that gift card you used on Yes, Your Grace last year?".

I ended up going for 80 days, which is based on the Around the World in 80 Days Jules Vernes novel. The purpose of the game is an easy guess, but it's basically part interactive fiction, part a travel logistics simulator with many more locations and a much more steampunk world than the original novel. Another twist is that the player (technically Passepartout for the purposes of the interactive fiction portion) starts out with only about a fifth of the travel funds the book's main duo had and has to make that money last longer by basically running a small import-export operation out of Fogg and Passepartout's luggage. And since Fogg isn't exactly the most travel-hardened guy, one must also make sure that the travels aren't too much of a strain on his health.

With all those factors, there is plenty of replay value. And while I'm not the best judge of that due to my own low standards, there seemed to be plenty of reprentation going on via some of the people briefly encountered along the way (the creators made Passepartout bi, for instance).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 07:38:00 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #818 on: August 07, 2021, 05:34:59 PM »
Can someone explain Persona series to me? Persona 5 in particular?

Because I've found this interesting fanfic, but it's a crossover with Persona and I know nothing about Persona so I'm looking for someone to explain it to me so I can read the fanfic and know what's going on. Stupid reason, I know.

Raaffiie

« Reply #819 on: August 12, 2021, 07:23:44 AM »
This seems like a good place to gush about Fire Emblem: Three Houses... It's probably received enough praise already and doesn't need my recommendation, but man, having recently finished it on Golden Deer route I adored this game. I've loved Fire Emblem's gameplay for a while and it has played around with letting the player feel a closer connection with its characters for some time, but it'd gotten a bit awkward lately, whereas this time around I think they really nailed it with the character writing and Persona-like social sim. Really good game to play if you're into tactical RPG gameplay and are a sucker for a good cast of characters. It hit hard coming to the end and suddenly not having those characters around anymore.

Can someone explain Persona series to me? Persona 5 in particular?
I've only played 4 unfortunately, and I haven't completely finished it. But the Persona series is a half-school life simulator, half-dungeon crawler JRPG which heavily borrows from Jungian psychology. The idea is that repressed parts of the psyche manifest as Shadows, but certain people have these manifestations of their psyche called Personas which they can control to fight Shadows and stop them from negatively affecting the physical world. I'm not that great at explaining it, but this Extra Credits video might help you:

In the life simulator part of Persona, you interact with different people to forge Social Links (called Confidants in P5, apparently) each indicated by one of the major arcana from a tarot deck. Social Links give you benefits in the dungeon-crawling part of the game, and one of the requirements to progress Social Links is that you need to have a strong persona in the corresponding arcana. So there's this interesting kind of interplay between the life sim and dungeon-crawling parts.

For the most part the stories of the different games are separate, but there are a couple of elements which are constants across all the games. Persona is a spinoff of the Shin Megami Tensei series, and the demons which appear in that series are the same as the personas that the player character can use in each entry of the Persona series. There's also the Velvet Room, managed by this guy named Igor, which is kind of like a dreamspace where you manage your personas.

Persona 5 in particular has the theme of a heist story. The cast of characters calls themselves the 'Phantom Thieves', and they fight various antagonists by going inside their mindspace and defeating their Shadow. That's about what I know of it.

@Grade E cat, 80 days sounds really cool! I have such fond memories towards the book from when I read and loved it as a kid. I'll have to remember to check that one out.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 08:13:19 AM by Raaffiie »
Native: 🇳🇱
Fluent: 🇬🇧
Advanced(last I checked): 🇫🇷
Learning: 🇫🇮, 🇯🇵
Just started: 🇪🇸
Can understand, but terrible at speaking: 🇩🇪

LuckyCheshire

• Super-Newbie
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him
« Reply #820 on: October 12, 2021, 11:00:45 PM »
I'm curious if anyone here has played Phoenotopia: Awakening? If you haven't heard of it already, it's a classic side-scrolling RPG, with a giant map and tons of hidden items and so on. No single element stands out as being exemplary tbh, but all together it's really really solid and well thought out, with great graphics, combat, puzzles, sidequests, soundtrack and so on. I also have to note giant arsenal of offhand weapons to choose from XoX I just managed to beat the Phalanx (the ultimate optional boss of hideous strength) a couple days ago... I think I almost broke the Berserker Armband.
Aka: Cheshire777, IronSpider90909

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #821 on: January 12, 2022, 07:13:40 AM »
If anyone's into speedrunning or curious about it, Games Done Quick is on right now! They'll be running all kinds of games until the 16th of January, while raising a ton of money for cancer research :>
Am notified of private messages via email.

yung_chrysanthemum

« Reply #822 on: February 01, 2022, 08:01:57 PM »
If anyone's into speedrunning or curious about it, Games Done Quick is on right now! They'll be running all kinds of games until the 16th of January, while raising a ton of money for cancer research :>

I loved GDQ this year. I've been watching old videos here and there during lunch break but this was the first one I caught live. Saw a bunch of games I would otherwise never have been interested in... like Geoguessr. Loved that those guys could look at a picture and immediately say "alright... that's Kyoto... just trust us".

Not looking forward to looking at my monthly expenses though :siv:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:

native: :usa:
reasonably good: :japan:

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #823 on: March 12, 2022, 08:08:41 AM »
Ah, good old GDQ. I hear my favorite runner Argick got a world record this year, but I haven't made it that far in the VODs on YouTube to see it for myself. Apparently it was a pretty good year for records.

Has anyone here played Freedom Planet?

Extra Credits' James Portnow described it as the best Sonic game he'd played in years (that video was before Sonic Mania) but while the game wears its Sonic inspiration on its sleeve, I think it's a disservice to think of it as basically a Sonic game. It also incorporates a lot of elements from other Genesis and SNES games. One character has the wall jump from Mega Man X. Another has flight that reminds you of Tails and Cream but actually works more like the flutter jump from Yoshi's Island. Another has a dash that's straight out of Rocket Night Adventures. Bosses are straight out of...Gunstar Heroes, I think?

The story needed another polish pass or two (even after updates that made some adjustments) but I found it pretty charming despite this. (Carol is the best. Shut up.) If you're not up for it, there's an Adventure mode that cuts most of it out.

There's a sequel that's supposed to come out any day now, tentatively scheduled for...oh, 2019. Hmm...

Speaking of abruptly changing the subject, what did y'all think of Metroid Dread?
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Mastodon: @Linebyline@bytetower.social

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #824 on: August 29, 2022, 06:52:51 AM »
BOI.

I've finished watching MandaloreGaming's reviews of the Marathon series, and I'm not quite sure if my mind came out of the other side unscathed.

For those of you who are unaware (which is probably the majority), Marathon is a trilogy of sci-fi FPS games by Bungie (the Halo guys), apparently released only for the original Macintosh. Superficially, the plot seems to be about mad AIs manipulating alien civilizations in their personal war, but there are layers underneath that get increasingly surreal and metatextual the deeper you go.

So anyway, I just wanted to share the reviews with you guys. The games themselves are all available on PC for free thanks to the fans now. I'm not sure if I want to actually play them - not really my type of game, and I don't feel like dealing with Colony Ship For Sale, Cheap and its ilk - but the videos themselves are well worth watching just for the lore rabbit hole.