Author Topic: Crazy isolationist cultures!  (Read 13098 times)

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Crazy isolationist cultures!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 02:01:27 PM »
I thought that the plants would balance the oxygen levels and they could extract water from human byproducts.

The system isn't 100% loss-free, though. 
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Jenny Islander

• Preferred pronouns: She, her
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 06:08:04 PM »
The idea that mammals the people of the Known World aren't aware of can't catch the Rash is just plain genius.

Also there is a tribe on North Sentinel island that is still shooting anything even vaguely human shaped that shows up, while shouting, "See, we were right!  See?  See????"
Working on the...coding...thing...

ZanarNaryon

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 03:12:35 AM »
Havnnes, a small trading outpost a short distance from Tromsø. Has lifestock, running water, and maybe fifty visitors a year, maksimum. I imagine they, if they took the Rash seriously from the beginning, could instate a very strict quarantine on any visitors, as the only way on to the island is through a ferry that can easily be regulated. Also, midnightsun, so they're pretty much safe all year round.
Native: :norway:
Fluent: :england:
Understands: :sweden: :denmark:
Unpracticed: :iceland:
Working on it: :germany:
A few assorted sentences in Quenya
:chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05: :A2chap06: :A2chap07:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 10:22:38 AM »
Havnnes, a small trading outpost a short distance from Tromsø. Has lifestock, running water, and maybe fifty visitors a year, maksimum. I imagine they, if they took the Rash seriously from the beginning, could instate a very strict quarantine on any visitors, as the only way on to the island is through a ferry that can easily be regulated. Also, midnightsun, so they're pretty much safe all year round.

It doesn't look that far on the map to the mainland.  How common are small boats?
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

ZanarNaryon

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 01:08:43 PM »
It doesn't look that far on the map to the mainland.  How common are small boats?

Pretty common, but there are only three, very small towns nearby.
Native: :norway:
Fluent: :england:
Understands: :sweden: :denmark:
Unpracticed: :iceland:
Working on it: :germany:
A few assorted sentences in Quenya
:chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05: :A2chap06: :A2chap07:

Antillanka

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 02:35:01 PM »
I'm sure someone has imagined this before, but norwegian petrol extraction platforms could create a community that lived of fishing and local desalination?
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Dilandu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 02:43:54 PM »
I'm sure someone has imagined this before, but norwegian petrol extraction platforms could create a community that lived of fishing and local desalination?

The raw materials would quickly became a problem...

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 03:24:55 PM »

They could make contact with passing boats, and trade fish for whatever they need - by year 90 maybe establish themselves as a sort of city-state.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Dilandu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2017, 04:03:33 PM »
They could make contact with passing boats, and trade fish for whatever they need - by year 90 maybe establish themselves as a sort of city-state.

This require a boats to pass, firstly. And during the first decades, when the Iceland mantained the isolation, there hardly were much traffic in sea. Well... the icelanders probably required oil, but it would be simpler for them to just took over the platforms they need.

Antillanka

• Tumblr
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2017, 08:14:36 PM »

Idk, I imagined some expedition for supplies ("some go well enough, some never come back" sorta' thing) and just... you know, doing-without as a form of life. And adapting the platforms for some sort of agriculture, maybe. I imagine they would have some boat of their own (can platforms keep boats around in harsh weather?)
Iguana with issues

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2017, 09:53:44 PM »
There's also the issue of leviathans. We don't know just how smart infected whales are. Even a single leviathan hanging around could make life on a platform incredibly difficult. And if it was smart enough to understand that there are tasty people on top of the platform...

I really like the idea of civilisation surviving on oil rigs, but there are a lot of problems getting it to work in Minna's world!
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Dilandu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2017, 02:35:35 AM »
There's also the issue of leviathans. We don't know just how smart infected whales are. Even a single leviathan hanging around could make life on a platform incredibly difficult. And if it was smart enough to understand that there are tasty people on top of the platform...

With the Leviathans we have one important problems; they need to breath. All time. Not only at night, but in daylight too. And there are no hideouts in sea.

So, they are basically forced to constantly expose themselves to sunlight. We knew, that while beasts could survive sunlight better than trolls (generally because the beasts have more reasonable design, they have no exposed ograns) they by no way like it. The life of average Leviathan seems to be... really unpleasant (on the other hands, the constant exposure may snap them out of Rash-induced maddness and actually make them less dangerous with the years come...)

Anyway, it would be really interesting to estimate the intellect level of 90+ years whale.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2017, 02:06:36 PM »
With the Leviathans we have one important problems; they need to breath. All time. Not only at night, but in daylight too. And there are no hideouts in sea.
Well, we were talking about those silly humans setting up metal umbrellas in the middle of the sea for them to set up camp under .......
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Dilandu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2017, 02:22:34 PM »
Well, we were talking about those silly humans setting up metal umbrellas in the middle of the sea for them to set up camp under .......

I tried to imagine a bunch of infected whales, huddling under the oil platform... which they firstly need somehow to reach, through the daylight, too. IMHO, not gonna work, unless the leviathans are actually more clever than average beasts and able to at least partially co-exist with humans.

"So, that's the deal; you don't hunt us at daylight, and we don't try to wreck your metal hut at night. Agreed? No flipper... hand shaking!"

Which actually may be... interesting situation...

Emil: "What. Is. That. THING IN WATER?!!!!"
Sigrun (without much interest): "Oh, it's just our local leviathan hiding from the sun... don't panic, he is part of the family."
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 02:25:10 PM by Dilandu »

Antillanka

• Tumblr
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2017, 03:44:09 PM »
Emil: "What. Is. That. THING IN WATER?!!!!"
Sigrun (without much interest): "Oh, it's just our local leviathan hiding from the sun... don't panic, he is part of the family."

Heheheheheheh "You can call it Libby"
Iguana with issues