Author Topic: Board Game Thread!  (Read 11267 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: Board Game Thread!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 01:03:19 PM »
Have any of you played Dixit? It's sort of like dictionary-game but with pictures. It's also not language-dependent, which is cool.
Yes ! *Raises a hand* I was a gift to one of the teachers who always come at home the wednesday afternoon *Lives with teachers* It's funny and easy to play :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

LadyRamkin

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 04:16:49 PM »
Also, not exactly a board game, but Dominion is my favorite deck-builder out there. Strategic luck based systems, away!

And finally, Betrayal at House on the Hill. Ooooh man, that's the best. It's basically a cooperative RPG set in a haunted manor, with different scenarios occuring each time. Also very tense, but one of the best games I've ever played with friends.

*sinks back into lurkerdom*

I love both of those! Has any one played any of the add-ons for dominion?
Betrayal is so much fun. One of my friends owns it, and I wish he would bring it around more often.

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 05:08:45 AM »
I love both of those! Has any one played any of the add-ons for dominion?
Betrayal is so much fun. One of my friends owns it, and I wish he would bring it around more often.
I love Dominion too! My cousin owns most of the add-ons and it's always lovely to figure out different strategies for each. Oh, another board game that's really fun is chinese chess, I played it with my family since young and it's really really cool and has lots of different strategies.
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 06:47:43 AM »
Wow!  What kind of variant?

Well my idea for a long time was to try to steamline and sort-of-rationalize chess by removing everything that felt like artificial ad hoc rules and solve some of the known problems at high level (opening tend to be predictable going-through-the-motions affairs, and games disproportionally end in draws).

So the end result looks like this:

The two side boards are not necessary, they're for convenience, the game can be played on a regular chess board.

The following differences with chess are found:

-Players start with all the non pawn pieces offboard. The game start with a phase of deployment where players deploy alternatively: their kings; their rooks and princes (see below); their bishops and knights. The pieces are placed wherever the players want behind their row of pawns. The only restrictions are that 1) the two kings must be on different files; 2) a player's rooks cannot be on the same file as each other or as the enemy king; 3) the two bishops of a single player must be on differently colored squares. Once the deployment phase is complete, the game procedes as normal, with the player who was first to deploy being second to play.
-The pieces are the same in chess, with the following exceptions: the queen is replaced by two princes, who can either move 1 square in any direction, or jump over one square in any orthogonal or diagonal direction (so a prince in the center of the board can reach 16 squares). The pawns have the following movement: they can move and capture one square directly forward or backward, or diagonally forward (thus having four possibilities of movement).
-The dropping rule of Shogi (Japanese chess) is used: instead of moving a piece, a player can drop a piece they have captured from their opponent on any empty space of the board, under their control. (The game is meant to be played with reversible tokens à la Otello/Reversi to do this easily).
-There are no conditional special rules: no promotion, no castling, no initial double movement of pawns.

A few playtests have shown the game to be rather more fast paced and violent than chess, while remaining tactically deep.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

LadyRamkin

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 09:27:41 PM »
On the vein of Chinese games, who here has played actual Mahjong? (Legend of Koizumi references welcome)

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 10:20:15 PM »
I'll just leave this here.
(I love this band; they have made multiple songs that look like they're going to be advice-in-finding-yourself-don't-worry-about-the-other-people songs but turn out to be about prehistoric carnivores)
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 11:19:23 PM »
On the vein of Chinese games, who here has played actual Mahjong? (Legend of Koizumi references welcome)

I've only played what the internet calls American mahjong... my grandma loves it. :P

Unrelated, but on the topic of the tread, has anyone played aggravation? Used to play it all the time and for some reason never considered it a board game.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 04:14:39 AM »
*raises hand*
My grandmother owns about five sets, haha. Mahjong's really fun! It moves a bit slowly if you're playing with four players, which is why I prefer three-player games, but it's an entertaining game nonetheless, and we can play it with our grandparents and aunts, who are less accustomed to modern games.
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

meshebe

• Ranger
  • altruistic idiot
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 06:50:44 PM »
Have any of you played Tsuro? You sort of ... create your own path on a grid, but all the tiles have lots of different paths and it's easy to go off the edge and die. You;re trying to be the last one standing, but people usually can't screw each other over much. Also the second one, Tsuro of the Seas, has sea-monsters that move around the board eating you. It's hard to describe.

Tsuro!  I've seen that game several times and always think about buying it.  And I always forget to look it up and see what it's about (the instructions on the package didn't help me much.)  Thanks for bringing that up!  I think I will have to get it now  ;D
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01:

Avatar made by the most awesome Tap.

meshebe

• Ranger
  • altruistic idiot
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 06:51:17 PM »
I mostly play traditional board games, Chess, Go, chess variants…

I've even made my own chess variant.

Have you ever tried the game "The Duke" ???  It's like chess but much more complicated.  I love it.  :)

meshebe

• Ranger
  • altruistic idiot
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 07:02:35 PM »
I lost interest in board games because they were always too easy for me (or I got to competitive and nobody wanted to play with me - - MONOPOLY).  But in the last two years or so I found out about all these wonderful and wonderfully complicated board games!  I've been having so much fun.  Games I own: The Duke, Mice and Mystics, Lord of the Rings card game, Parcheesi, chess cribbage and the classics.  Games I've played:  Zombicide, King of Tokoyo, Carcassonne, and others (can't remember the names right now :( ).  I went to go buy Civilization the board game, but after we opened the package and saw the rules and the massive amount of pieces, we decided it might be better as a computer game.  Hah! 

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2015, 05:32:15 PM »
Have you ever tried the game "The Duke" ???  It's like chess but much more complicated.  I love it.  :)

I haven't tried it; looking at it, I don't know if I would like it —I tend to like game with simpler rules (provided they're set in such a way as to leave a lot of room for tactical/strategic complexity).
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 08:12:39 AM »
  Games I've played:  Zombicide...

You reminded me of something I really want to buy. I really like that game!
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

LadyRamkin

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2015, 11:21:30 AM »
On that note the store i work at now has pandemic.....if only i had money......

meshebe

• Ranger
  • altruistic idiot
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2015, 06:12:15 PM »
On that note the store i work at now has pandemic.....if only i had money......

Yes!  I've played Pandemic a few times now and I love it.  It's such an intense game!!!  Anyway, I need to buy that too... in all good time...

I haven't tried it; looking at it, I don't know if I would like it —I tend to like game with simpler rules (provided they're set in such a way as to leave a lot of room for tactical/strategic complexity).

Rollo, the basic game play isn't so bad.  It's like chess but you have about twice as many pieces with complex moves.  But those moves are displayed on the piece (well, there are two sides to each piece and when you move it you flip it.  So each piece has two sets of moves really, but the key is there on the piece to help you remember.)  The basic gameplay is about the same as chess, but there are other sets of rules for other games you can play with the pieces (one involving a dragon, another involving a capture the flag type set up).  I haven't played these yet mostly because I've been focusing on the basics first!  But there's a lot of possibilities with the game.  You might like it if you like designing your own chess like games.  Who knows!  :)