Author Topic: Board Game Thread!  (Read 11264 times)

LadyRamkin

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Board Game Thread!
« on: August 07, 2015, 05:07:07 PM »
I Thread to discus and show off your favorite board games! I'll get this started.

Not pictured, Ascension, the pokemon board game, 12 ceasers, and anti-monopoly   
My favorites are Ticket to Ride and king of Tokyo.

Games I am no longer allowed to play, Game of Thrones, Axis and Allies, and Diplomacy.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: Board Game Thread!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 06:12:53 PM »
I Thread to discus and show off your favorite board games! I'll get this started.

Not pictured, Ascension, the pokemon board game, 12 ceasers, and anti-monopoly   
My favorites are Ticket to Ride and king of Tokyo.

Games I am no longer allowed to play, Game of Thrones, Axis and Allies, and Diplomacy.
I like Ticket to Ride a lot but my housemate are more Arkham Horror.
I dislike games when you have to play against all the others, so the cooperatives one are the best for me. (Ticket to Ride is... different. It had something.)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

LadyRamkin

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 07:49:37 PM »
I tend to get way hyper competitive. but yeah tickets special in that it doesn't set me off at all.

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 07:58:22 PM »
Ooh ooh ooh has anybody heard of Escape: Curse of the Temple? One of my favorite board games ever, it's a time-based cooperative dealio with tons of stress in the best way. Work together like a well oiled machine to escape the randomly organized temple... or not!

Also, not exactly a board game, but Dominion is my favorite deck-builder out there. Strategic luck based systems, away!

And finally, Betrayal at House on the Hill. Ooooh man, that's the best. It's basically a cooperative RPG set in a haunted manor, with different scenarios occuring each time. Also very tense, but one of the best games I've ever played with friends.

*sinks back into lurkerdom*
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 08:07:17 PM »
Ooh ooh ooh has anybody heard of Escape: Curse of the Temple? One of my favorite board games ever, it's a time-based cooperative dealio with tons of stress in the best way. Work together like a well oiled machine to escape the randomly organized temple... or not!

Also, not exactly a board game, but Dominion is my favorite deck-builder out there. Strategic luck based systems, away!

And finally, Betrayal at House on the Hill. Ooooh man, that's the best. It's basically a cooperative RPG set in a haunted manor, with different scenarios occuring each time. Also very tense, but one of the best games I've ever played with friends.

*sinks back into lurkerdom*

DOMINION, yes!!!. Also I got fond of zombiecide despite it taking several hours to (mostly loose) against the virtual opponent there.

hmmm we have plenty of board games. I really liked playing risk once, though I have to confess I mostly lossed early.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Mélusine

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 08:10:08 PM »
DOMINION, yes!!!. Also I got fond of zombiecide despite it taking several hours to (mostly loose) against the virtual opponent there.

hmmm we have plenty of board games. I really liked playing risk once, though I have to confess I mostly lossed early.
Was it Zombiecide... ah, no, we played Dead of winter a few weeks ago. (But there are zombies too.)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 12:56:36 AM »
Have any of you played Tsuro? You sort of ... create your own path on a grid, but all the tiles have lots of different paths and it's easy to go off the edge and die. You;re trying to be the last one standing, but people usually can't screw each other over much. Also the second one, Tsuro of the Seas, has sea-monsters that move around the board eating you. It's hard to describe.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 03:26:14 AM »
I mostly play traditional board games, Chess, Go, chess variants…

I've even made my own chess variant.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 04:14:09 AM »
I love the game Munchkins! It... doesn't always have a board, but it's kind of like simplified D+D and it's very fun, I recommend, a+
YEET

Mélusine

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 05:07:05 AM »
Have any of you played Tsuro? You sort of ... create your own path on a grid, but all the tiles have lots of different paths and it's easy to go off the edge and die. You;re trying to be the last one standing, but people usually can't screw each other over much. Also the second one, Tsuro of the Seas, has sea-monsters that move around the board eating you. It's hard to describe.
It remembers me Ta Yü :)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 05:18:38 AM »
I mostly play traditional board games, Chess, Go, chess variants…

I've even made my own chess variant.

Wow!  What kind of variant?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 05:22:33 AM »
While I'm not normally a massive fan of board games, I really feel like I should stop by and leave a reccomendation for a game called Android: Netrunner. It's a two-player game set in a cyberpunk future, where one player plays a mega-corp defending their assets and the other player is a hacker trying to blow the lid off the corporate conspiracies. So if you like cyberpunk aesthetics, and pleasingly asymmetric gameplay, I'd really reccomend you give it a try!

(Not sure if this technically counts as a board game, but hey...)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 05:26:07 AM »
Ooh, I'm a fan of Scrabble and Settlers of Catan myself, but I'd like to introduce the wonderful board game of Puerto Rico, where there's a lot of strategy involved, and a pinch of luck!  :)
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 06:43:49 AM »
I love the game Munchkins! It... doesn't always have a board, but it's kind of like simplified D+D and it's very fun, I recommend, a+

EEEH Munchkin, we only have one munchkin (I think conan?) but uuuuh gotta get more of them.

Melusine to answer your question:
http://zombicide.com/en/zombicide
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 12:59:27 PM »
Ooh, yeah, we have a copy of Space Munchkin and it's loads of fun.
I forgot to say this earlier, but I second (third? fourth?) the reccomendation for Dominion, I love it to bits.

Have any of you played Dixit? It's sort of like dictionary-game but with pictures. It's also not language-dependent, which is cool.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05: