Author Topic: Cosplay (non-SSSS)  (Read 45665 times)

freddiethefantastic

Re: Cosplay Help
« Reply #225 on: August 24, 2015, 02:59:09 PM »
As yall know, my absolute favorite cosplay wig store is Arda! They have super high quality wigs for relatively cheap! Well, until 8/27, you can get them for even cheaper using this discount code!
This is really exciting! It's not often that I see discount codes for this store, so I'm def going to use it B)

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #226 on: August 24, 2015, 06:59:17 PM »
I am very grateful this thread exists.

Since in October/November I'll be attending my first convention (Woo!) I wanted to try this cosplay thing. Who knows if I can actually make it with a bit of help. *starts studying links*
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
Re: Cosplay (non-SSSS)
« Reply #227 on: August 31, 2015, 09:15:01 PM »
So I've been pondering what to go as for Halloween this year, because I hadn't been inspired by anything yet. Then whilst watching one of my most beloved Ghibli movies again with some friends this weekend for the first time in years, it hit me:
"Whoa, I should totally dress up like Kiki!"

It just made sense, my hair is now dark dark brown, it's a relatively easy costume, and a comfortable one to wear all day!
So today I tried testing out my hair to see how it would work with stuff I had lying around the house. (also the little pink ovals on her cheeks *psst, I used lipstick*)
Conclusion: it's a little too long at the moment, but by taking the bottom portion and pinning it up, I can hide it under my top layers and a red ribbon in my hair! Also going to play with my bangs a little more, but I think it looks pretty good!

Bonus round: it's my Kiki shirt and the shoes that I plan to use that are just the perfect shade of orangey-brown <3

I'm probably going to make some major changes to my makeup, like powdering my face more, lightening my lips a bit, and wearing some low-key false lashes :3
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #228 on: August 31, 2015, 10:05:10 PM »
So I've been pondering what to go as for Halloween this year, because I hadn't been inspired by anything yet. Then whilst watching one of my most beloved Ghibli movies again with some friends this weekend for the first time in years, it hit me:
"Whoa, I should totally dress up like Kiki!"

It just made sense, my hair is now dark dark brown, it's a relatively easy costume, and a comfortable one to wear all day!
So today I tried testing out my hair to see how it would work with stuff I had lying around the house. (also the little pink ovals on her cheeks *psst, I used lipstick*)
Conclusion: it's a little too long at the moment, but by taking the bottom portion and pinning it up, I can hide it under my top layers and a red ribbon in my hair! Also going to play with my bangs a little more, but I think it looks pretty good!

OMG, how are you that cute?? HOW. 

And where will you get a Jiji?   ;)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
« Reply #229 on: September 01, 2015, 01:43:49 PM »
All the cosplays look great! I kinda need tips for making costumes, so does anyone have tips? (If it helps, Im trying a Homestuck cosplay)
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #230 on: September 01, 2015, 02:42:24 PM »
All the cosplays look great! I kinda need tips for making costumes, so does anyone have tips? (If it helps, Im trying a Homestuck cosplay)
Aaaah, I have lots of cosplay advice for homestuck (did it for many years), but we have this thread for cosplay related questions :0 If you have any specific things that you'd like me to give advice on, just reply there and I'll tell you anything I know (๑╹ڡ╹๑)
YEET

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Il n'y a que le premier pas qui coûte
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #231 on: September 01, 2015, 03:42:58 PM »
My cosplay on Black Butler, 2012.
Me as Grell Sutcliff (with long red hair) and my friend as William T. Spears.
Spoiler: show

New Year version =)

Cosplay on Once Upon a Time, 2013.
Me as Rumpelstiltskin, my friend as Emma Swan.

Cosplay on human!Tardis, 2014.

With 10th Doctor =)
Native: :russia: Fluent: Intermediate: :france: Try to learn: :denmark: :japan:

Survived: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::book3::chap17::chap18::chap19:

Nimphy

« Reply #232 on: September 01, 2015, 04:02:10 PM »
Okay so.

I need cosplay help I guess?

Hi, I'm Nimphy. And this shall be the first time I cosplay.

Yay!

So for the first time, ofc, I wanted to do something important but not too complicated. SSSS was an obvious choice, and it seems that the only non-complicated character is Reynir!

Because he's not very complicated, yes? Yes?

So thanks to this thread I found tutorials for gloves and stuff, BUT... Can anyone give tips on the tunic/dress thingy? I am at a complete loss. Also, what materials might be good for a con in early November?

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #233 on: September 01, 2015, 05:27:58 PM »
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Il n'y a que le premier pas qui coûte
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #234 on: September 02, 2015, 05:53:16 AM »
Ooooh these are all really good! :O

Thank you =)
Native: :russia: Fluent: Intermediate: :france: Try to learn: :denmark: :japan:

Survived: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::book3::chap17::chap18::chap19:

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
« Reply #235 on: September 02, 2015, 01:55:44 PM »
Um so, Curry told me to come here for some help with my cosplay.
So I am going to a con in the spring, and I will be doing a Homestuck cosplay. I want to either do Dave, or Karkat. I was thinking Dave for the con, since I will be Karkat for Halloween. So um, I would like some recommendations for how to make a Dave cosplay? I want to do God teir. I know I can just do a simple Dave cosplay and get a shirt from Whatpumpkin, but I want to do God Teir, and I don't know if they have God teir stuff. Thanks!
…Voltron?

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #236 on: September 02, 2015, 02:16:36 PM »
Um so, Curry told me to come here for some help with my cosplay.
So I am going to a con in the spring, and I will be doing a Homestuck cosplay. I want to either do Dave, or Karkat. I was thinking Dave for the con, since I will be Karkat for Halloween. So um, I would like some recommendations for how to make a Dave cosplay? I want to do God teir. I know I can just do a simple Dave cosplay and get a shirt from Whatpumpkin, but I want to do God Teir, and I don't know if they have God teir stuff. Thanks!

Aha, I cosplayed normal Dave, and I sewed my friend's cosplay for God Tier! They don't have the full godtier pajamas/outfit, but it's not too difficult to sew, especially if you use a proper pattern for it instead of winging it like I did >_> As for the shirt, it's not hard to either paint the symbol on (I don't advise doing this because it's often messier-looking), buy it online (there are lots of stores selling homestuck merch, including the shirts for Godtiers), or use iron-on paper to get the symbol on. This is what I used to use and it does work pretty well, although it fades in the wash very quickly (I had to recolor my Roxy shirt with Sharpie markers before each time I wore it). The pants and shirt are very easily bought. They're not rare/difficult colors and you can probably find them in local stores (thrift stores are great, just wash what you buy before wearing) or you could buy white clothing and dye it for Maximum Color Matching, but that's ridiculously extra and if it doesn't match up exactly that's entirely okay ;)

The shoes? Get something comfortable. You're on your feet all day at cons and it's okay to sacrifice a little bit of canonness for your own comfort and anybody who judges you for wearing something slightly off official for the sake of your back is a Dumb and you should fight them[citation needed].

Wig! I love wigs! I used a short Arda (it was a while ago and I can't remember the style) in honey blonde, but you can go anywhere on the blonde spectrum (including whites and silvers, because people have lots of different headcanons)! Pick what looks good with your skin tone and what you like. There's no canon at all. Freddie and I have yelled about wig stores many times before, so just scroll back a bit in this thread to find some Nice Quality Recommendations for stores we've both used ourselves/heard consistently amazing things about.

Back to the cape! A thicker material stands out more, but if you want to make it REALLY swanky, get some iron-on interfacing and iron it on for a Really Fancy Stiff(er) Cape. It will look very canon but it might not move as well. Your choice!

OKAY YEP THERE'S MY SPIEL! i hope that helped B^)
YEET

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #237 on: September 02, 2015, 02:21:06 PM »
Okay so.

I need cosplay help I guess?

Hi, I'm Nimphy. And this shall be the first time I cosplay.

Yay!

So for the first time, ofc, I wanted to do something important but not too complicated. SSSS was an obvious choice, and it seems that the only non-complicated character is Reynir!

Because he's not very complicated, yes? Yes?

So thanks to this thread I found tutorials for gloves and stuff, BUT... Can anyone give tips on the tunic/dress thingy? I am at a complete loss. Also, what materials might be good for a con in early November?

Which particular Reynir are you considering, dreamworld Reynir or sheperd Reynir?

Nimphy

« Reply #238 on: September 02, 2015, 02:28:52 PM »
Which particular Reynir are you considering, dreamworld Reynir or sheperd Reynir?

Shepherd Reynir, although either is fine.

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
« Reply #239 on: September 02, 2015, 05:09:13 PM »
Aha, I cosplayed normal Dave, and I sewed my friend's cosplay for God Tier! They don't have the full godtier pajamas/outfit, but it's not too difficult to sew, especially if you use a proper pattern for it instead of winging it like I did >_> As for the shirt, it's not hard to either paint the symbol on (I don't advise doing this because it's often messier-looking), buy it online (there are lots of stores selling homestuck merch, including the shirts for Godtiers), or use iron-on paper to get the symbol on. This is what I used to use and it does work pretty well, although it fades in the wash very quickly (I had to recolor my Roxy shirt with Sharpie markers before each time I wore it). The pants and shirt are very easily bought. They're not rare/difficult colors and you can probably find them in local stores (thrift stores are great, just wash what you buy before wearing) or you could buy white clothing and dye it for Maximum Color Matching, but that's ridiculously extra and if it doesn't match up exactly that's entirely okay ;)

The shoes? Get something comfortable. You're on your feet all day at cons and it's okay to sacrifice a little bit of canonness for your own comfort and anybody who judges you for wearing something slightly off official for the sake of your back is a Dumb and you should fight them[citation needed].

Wig! I love wigs! I used a short Arda (it was a while ago and I can't remember the style) in honey blonde, but you can go anywhere on the blonde spectrum (including whites and silvers, because people have lots of different headcanons)! Pick what looks good with your skin tone and what you like. There's no canon at all. Freddie and I have yelled about wig stores many times before, so just scroll back a bit in this thread to find some Nice Quality Recommendations for stores we've both used ourselves/heard consistently amazing things about.

Back to the cape! A thicker material stands out more, but if you want to make it REALLY swanky, get some iron-on interfacing and iron it on for a Really Fancy Stiff(er) Cape. It will look very canon but it might not move as well. Your choice!

OKAY YEP THERE'S MY SPIEL! i hope that helped B^)
Thanks so much! This really helped :) I actually don't need a wig if I keep my haircut! (I have perfect Dave hair if I style it) except it is brown, but I don't need to be completely canon. So much cosplay ing will be done! Thanks, Curry! <>
…Voltron?