Author Topic: Cosplay (non-SSSS)  (Read 45352 times)

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
Re: Cosplay Help
« Reply #210 on: August 16, 2015, 11:09:54 PM »
Hellooo all! I can give recommendations on wigs (buying it, styling them, what to look for, specific wigs), makeup (anything there), and a little bit of sewing + patterning (I'm not quite as experienced there but I can sure try!)
Also, I can give a little bit of advice regarding fabrication, and although the SSSS fandom does not need much, this is a general discussion board thread so I can try and give advice for other fandoms (fabrication as in: props, extra body parts (as in extra arms for, say, steven universe fusion cosplays), accessories, really really funky wigs, etc etc)!!

Also, to Sunflower: should we just move all the other similar posts from the cosplay thread to this one? I've already talked to Freddie and they don't mind
YEET

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #211 on: August 16, 2015, 11:14:12 PM »
Also, to Sunflower: should we just move all the other similar posts from the cosplay thread to this one? I've already talked to Freddie and they don't mind

Hi. I'm not exactly sunflower, but I think I can help. You guys can move your posts, and if you need me to move some stuff over and everyone's cool with it, just let me know :) I can also move your and freddie's posts as well if you would like.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:17:28 PM by Feartheviolas »
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #212 on: August 16, 2015, 11:17:10 PM »
Hi. I'm not exactly sunflower, but I think I can help. You guys can move your posts, and if you need me to move some stuff over and everyone's cool with it, just let me know :)

Alright, fantastic!
YEET

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #213 on: August 16, 2015, 11:47:06 PM »
Yay! I always need help (with lots of things, but let's focus on the cosplay). I can also sort of give help, for sewing things and pattern making, and also altering store-bought clothes, 'cause I have some experience in all of that. Not necessarily with cosplay, but most of the ideas are still the same. :))
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #214 on: August 16, 2015, 11:50:13 PM »
Alright, fantastic!

I'll take a look right now and see which posts should be moved.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #215 on: August 17, 2015, 12:30:03 AM »
...to Sunflower: should we just move all the other similar posts from the cosplay thread to this one? I've already talked to Freddie and they don't mind
Hi. I'm not exactly sunflower, but I think I can help. You guys can move your posts, and if you need me to move some stuff over and everyone's cool with it, just let me know :) I can also move your and freddie's posts as well if you would like.

Friendly reminder:  Viola is now one of the people (along with Eich, Hushpiper, Kjeks, and me) empowered to move posts and split/merge threads.  And she's often quicker on the draw than I am (like now!  :D)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #216 on: August 17, 2015, 01:01:08 AM »
Friendly reminder:  Viola is now one of the people (along with Eich, Hushpiper, Kjeks, and me) empowered to move posts and split/merge threads.  And she's often quicker on the draw than I am (like now!  :D)

I have a list of the posts that can me moved ready to go, but I'm going to do it tomorrow morning, just to give people a chance to see that their posts are going to be moved and where, and to make sure that no one strongly objects.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #217 on: August 17, 2015, 11:34:21 AM »
Cosplay advice has been moved over!

Edit: As I was going through, I noticed a few questions that haven't been answered, so if people want to take a look at those, they have been moved also.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:37:01 AM by Feartheviolas »

freddiethefantastic

« Reply #218 on: August 17, 2015, 01:48:24 PM »
It's me again, with more Reynir. This time, a makeup tutorial!
This may seem odd because Reynir canonically doesn't wear makeup. However when you're doing cosplay makeup is almost essential to bring your look to the next level. It will even out your skin tone and enhance your features, to make your face really pop.
Spoiler: show

Before you begin, you'll need to gather a few supplies.

Here's a list of what I use:
Face Primer: Rimmel London Stay Matte Primer
Foundation Powder: Pur Minerals 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup, in Light
   To apply this, I use a round flat makeup sponge, but you can also use a foundation brush
Concealer: Rimmel London Match Perfection Skin Tone Adapting Concealear in Fair
Eyeshadow: BH Cosmetics 120 Eyeshadow Color Palette, 1st and 5th edition
Mascara: Maybelline New York Rockket Volume Express
Eyeliner: Prestige Line and Style Ink Pen
Freckles: I use a dark concealer, NYX HD Concealer, in Tan as well as a liquid eyeliner. I'm pretty sure the one I'm using is the brand Elf, in Plum.
Lipstick:  Ulta Lipstick, color #223
For contouring, you’ll need a bronzer or some darker face powder. I use the ones in a palette that I bought in Ulta, shown below

You'll also need a few brushes. I use the ones pictured above. A fluffy large round brush, two rounded flat eyeshadow brushes, and a small rounded flat brush. You can get a full brush set for relatively cheap on Amazon.

This is the set that I use. I don't remember which seller I got it from, sorry.

You will also need a paper clip, a small bowl of water, makeup removing wipes, and some AWESOME BACKGROUND MUSIC!
So, let’s begin!

Put on whatever clothes that you’ll be wearing (for me today, that’s my binder and these cute shorts) and find a room with good lighting and a mirror.
If you’re wearing a wig, also put on your wig cap before you start your makeup! You don’t want to mess up your hard work trying to put it on after you have finished.

For this tutorial, I won’t be wearing it in the photos because I look super ugly in it! But seriously, it’s really important to put it on before you do your makeup.
Before anything else, start off by putting on your face primer. This will make sure that your makeup stays put a lot longer. This isn’t really necessary if you are only going to be wearing the makeup for a short amount of time, but if you’re going to be in cosplay for a while, it’s pretty important!
Okie dokie, you’re going to start with your basic face routine. In this step, I am using my concealer and my foundation powder.

Start off by dabbing your concealer over any visible blemishes. You won’t need a lot of it, just enough to cover in discoloration. Make sure to dab, don’t rub. It will look much more natural.
Next, apply your foundation powder over your whole face. I use a makeup sponge, but you can also use a foundation brush. Just try to apply in circular motions.
If you have dark undereye circles like I do, you’ll want to conceal those as well. Make sure to apply your concealer in a triangle!

It's a little hard to see in this photo, but applying it like this will hide the darkness almost entirely. Then just blend it in like the rest of your concealer.
So, once you’re done with all of this, your face should look quite a bit more even and smooth. Before and after:

I should have tried to make the same face in each, but you get the idea lmao.
So the next step is contouring! The is where you're going to be using your darker face powder and the pictured brushes

The point of contouring is to change the shape of your face, so if you already have a face that’s pretty similar to his, you can skip this step! If you don’t then keep reading.
With a quick google search you can find tons of contouring references online. The basic idea is that you want to make a 3 shape with the first point at your temples, the second under your cheekbones, and the third lining the bottom of your face.
When you are contouring, it’s important to remember that it should still look natural. If you go too dark it’ll just look like you have dirt on your face.

This is what my contouring basically looks like. I need to blend a bit more around my neck, but other than that, it’s acceptable.
Next, you’ll want to conceal your lips! Just dab the concealer around the edges of your lips like this

It’s a little hard to see the top, but you want a fair amount on both the top and bottom. Next, just blend it in like you normally blend concealer. Here’s a before and after:

You can stop here, but I think that leaving it like this actually flattens your face, so I do like to add a bit of color! This is where you'll be using your lipstick. Make sure that it's a light, natural pink color. You still want your lips to be paler.

Very lightly apply this to the center of your lips close to the inside. It should look like this:

Next, you are going to elongate your mouth. For this, I use my Plum colored liquid eyeliner, but if you have some brown lipstick you want to use, that would work as well.

Use this and put small dots on either corner of your mouth, then blend them in just a bit.

Wait for this to dry, then when you close your mouth, it should look like this!

You are now finished with your base makeup (and lips)!
The next step is your eyes! You can really do almost anything here. Just remember that eyeshadow and eyeliner look amazing on everyone and will seriously complete your cosplay. Even if you never wear it, if you’re in cosplay, eye makeup is your best friend.
Like I said earlier, you can do almost anything here. Since Reynir doesn’t wear makeup in canon, I prefer to do mostly natural with a pop of color on the bottom
Here’s what I use:

When you are doing eye makeup, it’s always a good idea to start with a base that’s a very neutral color. It should blend with your skin tone. The point of this is so dry any natural oils that are on your eyelid.

Next, you’ll start adding color. I usually go with oranges because my wig is very orange and I feel like that gives me a bit of unity.
I start off with a light ornage over my whole lid, then add a darker orange extending up and out past the edge of my eye. You’ll be using your wide, flat eyeshadow brushes for this.

Then, I use I light brown to darken the crease in my eyelid, using the smallest brush.

Finally, I add a bright pop of color on my bottom lid to add some visual interest to my face. Clean your small brush to get rid of any shadows that might be left in it. Then dip it in your bowl of water. You want it to be damp, but not dripping wet, so remove any excess water if necessary. Now that it’s damp, you’ll be able to apply your eyeshadow very precisely. It will also be more vibrant.

Next, we’ll be applying eyeliner and mascara.

Mascara isn’t super necessary, but I feel like long thick lashes are really nice looking. As for the eyeliner, you can really wear it however you want. I prefer winged eyeliner myself, but you may want to go with a line that’s thinner and ends at the end of your lid for a more natural look.

Next is arguably the most important part of this makeup! The freckles!!!! If have you enough natural freckles that you already look like Reynir, you can skip this step! If you don’t keep reading!
So in this step, you’ll be using your darker concealer, and the paper clip. I also use my brown liquid eyeliner at the very end to make a few smaller darker freckles, but that is optional. It’s very tempting to use just liquid eyeliner to do your freckles, especially if you don’t have darker concealer. However, I don’t recommend this at all. It looks super unnatural! That’s how I used to do my freckles, so here you can compare how it looks:

Here's what you'll be using:

I thought this would be a bit easier to understand in video form, so just click this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClTFs9eXzv0

Sorry it’s so sketchy!! I actually had to tape my phone to the wall to get this?? Anyway. Here is my whole face done:

There were a few that I thought were too big, which I removed later. Since it is liquid makeup, it’s pretty quick and easy to remove, even after it has dried. After this you’ll want to use you foundation powder and lightly dust around the edges of your face because that’s generally where freckles are a bit lighter.

And that’s about it!! After this, you’ll want to make sure that all your makeup is dry, do any touch ups that are necessary, and then put on your wig!!

Sorry these are so blurry! Idk what happened lmao.
So, I hope that helps!! Let me know if you have any questions, and if you follow any part of this tutorial, post pictures! I’d love to see them!

Edit: This was in the original thread, but I felt it made more sense to be over here, so I just copied it over myself lmao

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #219 on: August 19, 2015, 06:27:09 AM »
Yayyy all the cosplay advice neatly packed in its own thread! By Viola's request, here's again that tutorial for untangling wigs/cleaning second-hand wigs and hair pieces since it couldn't be moved from the old thread.

(Reminds me I need to brush out the Reynir wig and then make some modifications to it to make it fluffier in the front...)
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #220 on: August 19, 2015, 09:33:20 AM »
Okay, so this isn't a cosplay-specific question, but it sure would help because I have a lot of trouble getting it to work. Does anyone know any good armhole sewing tutorials? How to shape, how to hem, how to attach sleeves, etc. There must be an easier way than what I'm doing now T-T
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

freddiethefantastic

« Reply #221 on: August 19, 2015, 09:54:56 AM »
Okay, so this isn't a cosplay-specific question, but it sure would help because I have a lot of trouble getting it to work. Does anyone know any good armhole sewing tutorials? How to shape, how to hem, how to attach sleeves, etc. There must be an easier way than what I'm doing now T-T
I've found this one to be pretty useful!

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #222 on: August 19, 2015, 10:44:30 AM »
I've found this one to be pretty useful!

Accurate title is accurate :P

Thank you! This is going to prevent me from tearing most of my hair out :)

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

freddiethefantastic

« Reply #223 on: August 19, 2015, 12:09:54 PM »
I know it's pretty hard to find good tutorials for cosplay and such, so I've wasted my time today not doing homework compiling a bunch of my favorite tutorials and references! I'll try to organize this in a logical way, but we'll see lmao. Also, if any of the links don't work, let me know!!

The Basics
First Con Tips (Good advice, even for veteran con-goers) and Making a Con Survival Kit, an awesome post that Curry showed me! (I'm pretty sure a different version of this is linked in the Con Tips Post!)
Fit Long/Thick Hair under a Wig
The Cosplayer's Wig Styling Essentials
Wefting 101
Makeup Basics
Things to Know Before Buying Circle Lenses and How to Wear Them
Beginner Sewing Guide

Sigrun
Curling a Wig with a Curling Iron and Curling a Wig with Boiling Water (Sigrun's curls aren't as tight and are only at the ends, but it's the same concept)

Reynir
Freckle Tutorial (Exact Placement) and Freckle Tutorial (Random Placement)

Emil
Grenade Prop (There are a ton of other tutorials, but this one looks similar to a grenade he's holding in some official art)
Fluff your Wig (The wig in this tutorial has a very flat cut, but the fluff looks nice. For Emil's wig, you'll want to do some layering+a more natural cut)

Mikkel
Beard with Liquid Latex and Beards and Hairlines
Edit: the person who made the Beards and Hairlines guide has a more detailed tutorial here

Lalli
Re-parting a Skin Top Wig
Pretty Intense Magic Prop (Only do this if you know you can do it safely)

Tuuri
Fluffy Bangs Tutorial

Binding
I'm putting this in its own section because it's really important to bind safely. A few things to note: NEVER BIND WITH ACE BANDAGES! This can cause a ton of injuries from heavy bruising to cracked ribs. Also, please try to buy quality binders. They are more expensive, but it's worth it! You don't want to hurt yourself. Make sure to do some research before buying a binder. If you have any questions about binding, I have a bit of experience, and so does Curry.
All About Binding (This is written for trans people, but it's a great reference for safe binding)
Quality Binders and Other Quality Binder
Also, remember, cosplay is about having fun! So even if you don't have a binder, cosplay whoever you want! Flat chest or not, your cosplay will look amazing!
Edit: I've also heard that people are starting to bind with duct tape? I really hope that it isn't true, but just in case, DON'T DO THAT EITHER. Honestly, you could cause serious injury to yourself, including bruising, cracked ribs, basically everything you get from Ace Bandages, PLUS irritated skin.

Other
Full Cosplay 101 Series
Arda's Wig Tutorials
Awesome Cosplay Blog that has a ton of miscellaneous tutorials
Accesories for 1 Dollar
Awesome Makeup Blog
Cleaning and Detangling Wigs
Concealing and Redrawing Your Eyebrows and Concealing Thick Eyebrows
Background Music (Very Important for Cosplay): X X X X X X
Awesome Cosplay/SFX Makeup Masterpost
This to That, Gluing Reference

I'll update this as I come across more tutorials and refernces! If you have any that you want to add to this post, just let me know and I'll put them in!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:33:49 PM by freddiethefantastic »

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #224 on: August 19, 2015, 12:22:29 PM »
TOOT TOOT

Aha! Yes, I used that exact first method on the Sigrun wig, minus a heat-resistant glove because 1. I don't have any and 2. I hate myself! True tip: to anybody else doing this, pleeease get yourself something like an oven mitt or whatever because you're raising the temperature of the wig to that of the curling iron and it hecking hurts to hold the curls in place until it cools! I skyped freddie and karma for the majority of the time I was styling it and I'm pretty sure I annoyed the heck out of them with "ow. ow. ow. pain. ow" for literally the entire time! Seriously just get yourself an oven mitt you'll thank yourself later
YEET