Author Topic: Arts & Crafts  (Read 26101 times)

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
Re: Arts & Crafts
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2017, 11:40:06 AM »
Okay, okay, recently I watched Yuri!!! On Ice, and LIKE IT SO MUCH made some New Year decorations.

These are so pretty!

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2017, 05:01:45 PM »
Whoops, I art-ed again. I wanted to see whether I could tat with sewing thread. Answer: yes, though it's a huge pain to deal with. Still, it is pretty.

(Plus a quarter to show how tiny it is)
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Antillanka

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2017, 06:27:35 PM »
Whoops, I art-ed again. I wanted to see whether I could tat with sewing thread. Answer: yes, though it's a huge pain to deal with. Still, it is pretty.

(Plus a quarter to show how tiny it is)

This is AMAZING <3 XoX <3 !!!!!!
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2017, 10:11:42 PM »
And once again, I come to spam this thread with stuff. Because apparently my goal is to learn every fiber art technique known to mankind.
 And I'll gladly set aside the 500 years required to complete that task!

Today's technique is tablet or card weaving, a type of weaving in which you string various threads/yarns through holes on cards and twist the cards to raise and lower the warps in a specific pattern. It's incredibly sturdy stuff, and very good for edging or belts (which is what this piece will become). I also thought that this particular pattern might work well for SSSS cosplay, as it resembles a more intricate version of the edging on the crew's uniforms.
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2017, 10:44:49 PM »
Your tatting is so very delicate! And the tablet weaving is nice - I have several headbands made by that technique. If you look up 'Finnish Iron Age Tablet Weaving' you will find some fascinating patterns.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2017, 11:44:17 PM »
Ana, that's beautiful! Looks like very durable stuff too for sure.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2017, 04:52:53 PM »
And once again, I come to spam this thread with stuff. Because apparently my goal is to learn every fiber art technique known to mankind.
 And I'll gladly set aside the 500 years required to complete that task!

Today's technique is tablet or card weaving, a type of weaving in which you string various threads/yarns through holes on cards and twist the cards to raise and lower the warps in a specific pattern. It's incredibly sturdy stuff, and very good for edging or belts (which is what this piece will become). I also thought that this particular pattern might work well for SSSS cosplay, as it resembles a more intricate version of the edging on the crew's uniforms.

how to make this?
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Athena

« Reply #127 on: May 26, 2017, 05:38:08 PM »
how to make this?

Ana mentioned its made with tablet weaving; I found a guide to it here, you can make all sorts of patterns with it.

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2017, 05:51:21 PM »
Luth, that's an excellent find - simple and accurate.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Athena

« Reply #129 on: May 26, 2017, 06:09:59 PM »
Luth, that's an excellent find - simple and accurate.

I know - I'm glad that such a site exists! I sorta feel like trying it, I might have to set that up this weekend.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #130 on: May 26, 2017, 09:37:56 PM »
Luth, you found one of the sites I used to learn! This one is helpful, too.

Krisse, if you were asking about the specific pattern, I couldn't trace it back to a specific website, but I do have the pattern. It's in the spoiler below.

Spoiler: show

Card weaving isn't too hard, and it's super easy to find the materials to do it! You can make the cards yourself out of cardboard, and the only other thing you need is yarn and somewhere to stretch the yarn out. The patterns can be a little tricky to read, but once it's started it goes quite smoothly.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:39:38 PM by Ana Nymus »

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2017, 06:31:51 PM »
I have many question, cuz I get almost nothing from those pics, but most important is, how long the yarn (orwhatever) has to be?

(maybe, is there any video how to make it because I can't get how to make it by those not-too-useful pictures?)
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #132 on: May 27, 2017, 09:14:59 PM »
It depends on how long you want your finished piece to be of course! I started out with lengths of yarn that were 6 feet (~1.8 meters) long, and the finished piece was 5 feet (~1.5 meters) long when I was done: more than enough for a belt. I know I've seen videos on youtube, though I can't say how good any of them are since I've never watched them. A search for "card weaving tutorial" or "tablet weaving tutorial" should give you plenty of information!

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Athena

« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2017, 12:06:27 AM »
I bought a knife last summer which came without a sheath, and ever since I've been thinking I should make one. At comic-con a few weeks ago I bought a roll of hardened leather (it was quite expensive, but my brother and I spilt the cost), so tonight I sat down and tried my hand at some leather working!

No process pics, sorry, but here's my process:
I started by cutting two rectangular pieces roughly the length of the blade, and twice as wide. Then traced the blade shape on them, then made a few holes by using a punch. I attached the two pieces together just with screws through those preliminary holes, just so the later holes would line up for sure. Then I punched a bunch more holes, threaded it together with an old shoelace I found, and tied it off in such a way to make a belt loop.

Here it is finished!
Spoiler: kinda big images • show

My fingers are in so much pain now after all of that, but I'm really happy with the finished product! It's a little rough, but it is my first time doing this sort of thing, and it certainly serves it's intended purpose! :D

Edit: Ana, thanks for the other link! If I can find suitable yarn I certainly would like to try that pattern.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 12:14:35 AM by Luth Nightbreeze »

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2017, 05:53:22 PM »
I bought a knife last summer which came without a sheath, and ever since I've been thinking I should make one. At comic-con a few weeks ago I bought a roll of hardened leather (it was quite expensive, but my brother and I spilt the cost), so tonight I sat down and tried my hand at some leather working!
Spoiler: kinda big images • show

*Sees blade and handle*
I don't see any markings on the blade but is that a Moraknife I see Luth? A good purchase!
It's a good use of materials and a nice first project.
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3: