Author Topic: Arts & Crafts  (Read 25754 times)

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Arts & Crafts
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2017, 08:37:46 PM »
*Sees blade and handle*
I don't see any markings on the blade but is that a Moraknife I see Luth? A good purchase!
It's a good use of materials and a nice first project.

Yep, it's a Moraknife! Seems to be an older model though for sure - I got it at a garage sale. And yeah, its a great knife!
Thank you! :)
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2017, 09:09:44 PM »
Yep, it's a Moraknife! Seems to be an older model though for sure - I got it at a garage sale. And yeah, its a great knife!
Thank you! :)
I thought so, having a bunch of those myself  ;D
You got the 'classic' model there, they are still being made today but your's obviously a old and well used one.
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

AquaAurion

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #137 on: May 29, 2017, 09:52:45 AM »
And once again, I come to spam this thread with stuff. Because apparently my goal is to learn every fiber art technique known to mankind.
 And I'll gladly set aside the 500 years required to complete that task!

Today's technique is tablet or card weaving, a type of weaving in which you string various threads/yarns through holes on cards and twist the cards to raise and lower the warps in a specific pattern. It's incredibly sturdy stuff, and very good for edging or belts (which is what this piece will become). I also thought that this particular pattern might work well for SSSS cosplay, as it resembles a more intricate version of the edging on the crew's uniforms.
This is so pretty! I never heard of card weaving before, but it sounds cool XoX

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Il n'y a que le premier pas qui coûte
« Reply #138 on: July 02, 2017, 06:32:08 AM »
And once again, I come to spam this thread with stuff. Because apparently my goal is to learn every fiber art technique known to mankind.
 And I'll gladly set aside the 500 years required to complete that task!

Today's technique is tablet or card weaving, a type of weaving in which you string various threads/yarns through holes on cards and twist the cards to raise and lower the warps in a specific pattern. It's incredibly sturdy stuff, and very good for edging or belts (which is what this piece will become). I also thought that this particular pattern might work well for SSSS cosplay, as it resembles a more intricate version of the edging on the crew's uniforms.

Wow, it's really great!

Native: :russia: Fluent: Intermediate: :france: Try to learn: :denmark: :japan:

Survived: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::book3::chap17::chap18::chap19:

Athena

« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2017, 06:16:11 PM »
All I have to say is that making chainmail is tedious, but immensely satisfying. I finally invested in some proper rings (bronze) and I'm making a box chain necklace for my mom's birthday. (although it may turn into a bracelet, I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it long enough for a necklace in time!) :D

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 06:20:29 PM by Luth Nightbreeze »

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #140 on: September 16, 2017, 06:29:09 PM »
All I have to say is that making chainmail is tedious, but immensely satisfying. I finally invested in some proper rings (bronze) and I'm making a box chain necklace for my mom's birthday. (although it may turn into a bracelet, I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it long enough for a necklace in time!) :D

I agree with both the tedium and satisfaction of making mail! This is very handsome work, Luth.

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2017, 09:26:26 PM »
Luth, that is beautiful work! I'm sure your mum will love it.

As you say, it's tedious work. I remember telling you awhile back that my mail shirt took me above six months to make, and I reckon now you can see why. I worked on it during long and boring commutes, like knitting with two pairs of pliers, and if I had time to work on it at home, usually late at night, I occupied my mind with reciting tales and poems.

Did you have a jeweller make the bronze rings?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Athena

« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2017, 11:14:07 PM »
I agree with both the tedium and satisfaction of making mail! This is very handsome work, Luth.

Thanks!

Luth, that is beautiful work! I'm sure your mum will love it.

As you say, it's tedious work. I remember telling you awhile back that my mail shirt took me above six months to make, and I reckon now you can see why. I worked on it during long and boring commutes, like knitting with two pairs of pliers, and if I had time to work on it at home, usually late at night, I occupied my mind with reciting tales and poems.

Did you have a jeweller make the bronze rings?

Thank you as well! I sure hope she likes it.

And yeah, I can see how it would take that long! Just that relatively short segment took me a few hours already (although a fair bit of that time was spent just figuring out the weave, and getting in 'zen' mode working at it). I have heard it said that making mail is a bit like knitting, and I certainly understand that now.

And the rings came in the mail, I ordered them online from a site called 'the ring lord', it was quite convenient. (Though expensive for shipping costs, they have an extensive collection of metal types and ring gauges, so I could get exactly what I needed pretty quick.)

Athena

« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2017, 08:41:52 PM »

It's done! :D I gave it to my mom yesterday and she really liked it, so I'd say it was a successful project! Next up, some chainmail gloves (fingerless, probably) for myself.

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2017, 10:10:07 PM »
Luth, that's lovely! And I'm sure your mum appreciated all the work you put into it.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2017, 10:42:21 PM »

It's done! :D I gave it to my mom yesterday and she really liked it, so I'd say it was a successful project! Next up, some chainmail gloves (fingerless, probably) for myself.

Very cool!
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Athena

« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2017, 11:20:16 PM »
Thanks, guys! ^-^ It was a lot of fun to make as well, such an interesting weave. My brother is the one who started making chainmail a few months ago and introduced me to it, and I think he may have gotten me addicted to it now!!

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #147 on: September 25, 2017, 03:02:44 PM »
Luth, that's beautiful!

Ana, that's a really pretty pattern. I remember doing simple card weaved band in school when I was 14, but I got help threading the cards. I see the tutorial Luth linked that they're mentioned as slim bands but really they can be pretty broad. Below is the belt belonging to my costume, its about 15 cm broad, made with pretty thin thread and more than hundred cards. (Not made by me!)

As for using card weaved bands for cosplay, good idea. I've always imagined the bands brick woven of a pattern like the ones I've linked below:

http://www.pvv.org/~raaness/prosjekt_fritid/filer/brikkevev/bestilling.html
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:15:57 PM by Unlos »

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #148 on: September 25, 2017, 04:18:04 PM »

Oh, that's absolutely lovely! I like how the direction of the twists are alternating: it gives the piece almost a knitted look with all the little "v"s. Card weaving can theoretically be used to make fabric of any width, but because that requires so many cards and quickly becomes unwieldy, it usually is only used for thinner pieces.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Dilandu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2017, 04:27:26 PM »
Really great craftmanship! My compliments!