Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2304288 times)

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17640 on: September 19, 2017, 10:56:46 PM »
I got attacked by a dog this weekend. Bitten twice.

They also attacked an older man and bit him. My partner called the police and animal control caught the dogs. It was pretty scary, but I'm going to be fine once I heal.

Eep, that's awful! Good thing your partner knew what to do and called the police. *hugs* I hope you heal soon!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #17641 on: September 20, 2017, 09:09:25 AM »
I got attacked by a dog this weekend. Bitten twice.

They also attacked an older man and bit him. My partner called the police and animal control caught the dogs. It was pretty scary, but I'm going to be fine once I heal.

Oh no!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #17642 on: September 20, 2017, 09:20:30 AM »
Take good care of those dogbite wounds -- infections from those can be nasty.

The dogs are presumably being checked for rabies if there was no proof of their vaccination?

-- and yes; this isn't one weird weather year, this is the transition to the new climate -- not in the sense that we can count on what it did this year, but in the sense that rain in many years is either going to be in excess or in deficit; we can no longer count on the old patterns holding with only an occasional exception.

Sc0ut, I'm dubious that advanced technology is the solution, at least if you mean the sort of thing that's dependent on a continual supply of power and externally-produced supplies to keep functioning. Bad weather can also disrupt both power and supply routes. I'd rather we go Róisín's route of widely distributed food production, in systems made as weatherproof as possible by choice of crops and of growing systems. I'm going to have to go to raised beds, myself; with drip line ready to irrigate as long as the pond holds out, and some percentage of the crops drought-resistant once they get well started, for the times when we get thrown drought instead of flood. (The irrigation system is gravity fed; but I need to rely on some fuel to help me with making and cultivating the beds, as well as to get to market. A power or roads outage of a week or two wouldn't seriously damage the system, though.)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #17643 on: September 20, 2017, 10:09:06 AM »
I'm all up to date on tetnus and as for rabies the dogs here are all vaccinated, since they were owned by someone I didn't have to get shots but they still took them for observation. (For anyone curious about the breed they were german shepards)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #17644 on: September 20, 2017, 01:56:02 PM »
for rabies the dogs here are all vaccinated, since they were owned by someone I didn't have to get shots but they still took them for observation.
Would there actually be any rabies "running in the wild" near you? A lot of first world nations strive to get the seal of "rabies free". (Of which there are two, the WHO definition - free of the actual virus - and the practical one - no humans infected since X years. Germany has been "rabies free" according to the second one for most of my life, but will never be "WHO rabies free" thanks to the wild bat population.)

(For anyone curious about the breed they were german shepards)
(Got a phone number of the pound? I'ld like to have some words with them doggos.)

(Wasn't the forum Unicode proof at some point? I just got a "message body cannot be empty" when trying to preview my post with "words" set in Fraktur ...)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17645 on: September 20, 2017, 05:05:46 PM »
Eeee poor Feartheviolas, I have no good advice beyond what the sages have already posted. 
Way back when in the mid-70s, a family friend was giving our doggo a friendly rub-down but also rubbed the no-go spot on his rump where he'd been hit by a car as a pup.  Doggo bit friend on the face, friend sued my parents, no more friend, and no more dogs ever again (specifically disallowed on their homeowners' insurance policy). 

Climate change is a real thing, and for all the jokes about New Zealand finally getting a nicer climate and buying beachfront property 3km inland from Dunedin, it won't work that way.  There is also a keen awareness of the Polynesian islands becoming uninhabitable or just disappearing completely (Auckland is the largest Polynesian city, after all).
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
« Reply #17646 on: September 20, 2017, 05:16:58 PM »
I'm all up to date on tetnus and as for rabies the dogs here are all vaccinated, since they were owned by someone I didn't have to get shots but they still took them for observation. (For anyone curious about the breed they were german shepards)

Yowza! That must have been quite the scare  O_O I'm glad that you got out of it okay. I'm blooming glad we live in an era of vaccines and that the scare is over now
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17647 on: September 20, 2017, 06:52:16 PM »
Australia is rabies free still, last I heard, but who knows for how long.

Wavewright, I'm afraid that if things continue as is a lot of Polynesia will simply be gone.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #17648 on: September 22, 2017, 12:41:24 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen.

boys and girls.

We have space marines now.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr2810/summary

"National Security Space – The bill establishes a new U.S. Space Corps as a separate military service within the Department of the Air Force by 2019. The bill also establishes a U.S. Space Command as a new sub-unified command within U.S. Strategic Command."

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #17649 on: September 22, 2017, 03:26:29 AM »
We have space marines now.

This is a suitable force!

Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Róisín

« Reply #17650 on: September 22, 2017, 06:44:02 AM »
Wyrm, I hope you are well battened down against the weather this weekend! We are apparently due to get the tail of it, which won't do much for our Spring Garden Festival tomorrow.

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #17651 on: September 22, 2017, 08:17:26 AM »
Wyrm, I hope you are well battened down against the weather this weekend! We are apparently due to get the tail of it, which won't do much for our Spring Garden Festival tomorrow.

I think the worst of it went through mid-morning when I was safely ensconced at the office, and it wasn't terribly bad overall. So there's hope for the Garden Festival yet!
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17652 on: September 22, 2017, 07:23:34 PM »

Here's hoping for a successful Garden Festival!  We actually are set up to have a decent weekend, just in time for Election Day.  I'll just say I voted for a party whose transport policies I prefer, among other issues.
I voted yesterday at an early polling place, because I knew I was going to spend 5-6 hours of riding buses to get to/from a 2-hour rehearsal this afternoon, and didn't want to add to that with another 1/2-1 hour to get to a polling spot in my home electorate, which is in the opposite direction from the rehearsal, all the while lugging a largish instrument.  The trains are shut down to do track upgrades, so have *counts stops on app* six bus rides to get there, each way.  No, we have no express buses outside of commute times. 
Is it January yet?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

« Reply #17653 on: September 23, 2017, 11:09:00 AM »
Garden Festival was excellent. Sold lots of plants and flowers, gave lots of garden advice. My guest-speaker gig on building and maintaining an herb garden in difficult conditions went over well, with lots of interesting questions asked after. The other speakers were fascinating (how to build an insect hotel, how to build wicking beds, growing vegetables in small spaces, flower arranging, that sort of thing). I had a great day, and found several plants I had been looking for from other vendors at the Fair - Primula vulgaris, the common or English primrose, and Tiny Valerian, Valeriana dioica.

And the windstorm/duststorm held off until the end of the day when we were packing up. The forecast had been fairly dire, so that was a relief! At present it is only raining!

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #17654 on: September 23, 2017, 02:45:42 PM »
I've always said that life is mostly a matter of good timing. Glad to hear the fest was able to pull it off.
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: