Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2346637 times)

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17505 on: July 27, 2017, 09:08:58 PM »
Solokov, I hope you'll be okay. Is your car able to be repaired?

Not any time soon. However it was a forest service rig and not my personal rig.

Solokov, your avatar sign looks all too appropriate. Too bad the drunk driver didn't read it.

Glad they think you're probably OK!

But my avatar is a warning about monoliths not cars.. or allegedly drunk drivers.

Regardless, thanks for all the well wishes from all of you.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Antillanka

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #17506 on: July 28, 2017, 05:23:59 PM »
Am I the only brickhead that thinks it's kinda amusing that the planet Jupiter has 69 moons?
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Shine

• Ranger
  • I'm probably a person.
« Reply #17507 on: July 28, 2017, 05:29:21 PM »
Am I the only brickhead that thinks it's kinda amusing that the planet Jupiter has 69 moons?
No, you're not.
It just feels... appropriate, somehow.
Native :italy:
Fluent :uk: :germany:
Want to learn :norway: :finland:

Survived:        :chap5::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #17508 on: July 28, 2017, 05:37:00 PM »
It's 69 known satellites though, it's unlikely that we've found them all (in fact the 69th one was only discovered last month).
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #17509 on: July 29, 2017, 12:20:07 AM »
I got done with a bunch of philosophy books I planned on reading. I've been thinking about the meaning of our existence.And I see so many people who think that nothing matters.I think that in the sense of the universe everything doesn't matter, but I disagree on there being no inhering meaning to life. Because you should see things from a 'human' perspective.The biggest issue that so many people have today who struggle with 'existential dread' is they think about our existence in the greater scheme of things. I mean yea it's true that the sun is going to swallow us one day, that earth is dying,we're all approaching our ultimate fate when we are born, and the universe is getting colder. That nothing is gonna mater.

But you can't think about life like that. Or there's a good chance you'll enter a deep depression for the rest of your life. Think about it like this, there is a painting called a Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte. That in a way is the universe. It's getting older and will one day flake up into dust. But that is not how we should view our own existence. You have to zoom in on one of the million dots. And you have to zoom in even further on the one tiny dot that came from the paint brush. That's us. A human being. And there you'll find all kinds of meaning. Like 'I love my family', ''my dog is awesome!', 'I love science/art/history/reading/math.' That knowledge gets you places. It gives you purpose and meaning. It's when we embrace that nothing matters is when we are free to find what really matters.

Does that make our lives an illusion? I guess. But hey, I would rather live in an illusion than a dark reality.Have I been reading to much existentialist stuff lately? Probably.But this thought has given me a lot of hope lately with a lot of uncertainty with some things in life.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 12:50:38 AM by MR_PLINKETT »

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17510 on: July 29, 2017, 01:11:16 AM »
Plinkett, very well said!

I like the view expressed in the 'Hávamál:
'Cattle die, kin die.
Every man is mortal.
The one thing that is never lost
Is the worth of a life lived well.'

That's as true as it ever was. If you spend too much time wallowing in existential angst, you don't get to live, and living is well worth the trouble.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Shine

• Ranger
  • I'm probably a person.
« Reply #17511 on: July 29, 2017, 03:45:12 AM »
If I understand what you're saying (not guaranteed, I haven't woken up yet) then this is the sentiment I try to live by.

You see, being 17 and bored I tend to start thinking stuff like, "who even cares about what I do with my life, most of us die alone and forgotten" or "why should I accomplish anything, one day all my efforts will be dust". So I focus on "everything I ever was and will be is going to get destroyed in solar fire, but 1)that is incredibly awesome 2)chocolate is still awesome 3)kittens are still fuzzy 4)Jupiter has 69 known moons 5)no one can stop me from overusing the word awesome" and that's much more interesting than just straight-up nihilism.
Native :italy:
Fluent :uk: :germany:
Want to learn :norway: :finland:

Survived:        :chap5::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #17512 on: July 29, 2017, 04:27:02 AM »
I don't believe the way you see the universe is really deeply tied to whether you have a positive or negative outlook at life. You can believe in God, in a Greater Purpose, in Objective Morality and Aesthetic, and be severely depressed; and you can believe that the universe is completely empty and meaningless, that life is a goal-less phenomenon, that there is no moral or aesthetic truth of any kind, and be a happy and well-adjusted individual.

You can adhere to any system of facts/beliefs you want, that's not really a good predictor of how you will interpret those, especially since things like depression are tied to chemical imballances and neuron connexion that are way beyond your conscious control, and the exact same series of fact can be perceived in radically opposite ways by different people. Think glass half-full vs glass half-empty — which is a silly choice, those mean the same thing, the glass is 50% water and 50% air.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17513 on: July 29, 2017, 04:53:17 AM »
Good point, Rollo. For myself, I think attitude is partly nature and partly nurture, part mindset and part body chemistry, so intertwined that it's pretty hard, in most cases, to work out what comes from where. There are obvious exceptions, like the type of depression that responds well to chemical treatment alone, but a lot of it is also a product of culture (both of the family and the general society) and of breadth and depth and nature of life experience. Even then, people can draw different conclusions from the same data, and hence develop different mindsets.

My husband often remarks that he is surprised by my worldview, and thinks that said worldview would fit better with the life he has lead than does his own worldview, given that he has largely led a reasonably easy life, as lives go, but is a total cynic, very cautious about other people and very unwilling to risk being happy. His life has included a few awful things, but most of it has been good and pretty safe. Whereas most of mine has been pretty tough, but it just doesn't seem to have affected me in the same ways - I will trust people until they give me good reason not to, and I persist in bobbing to the surface again when life rolls over me. No idea why, just stubborn, I guess, and unwilling to surrender. Who really knows how people work?

Also, that thing about Jupiter's moons is simply awesome!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
« Reply #17514 on: July 30, 2017, 11:28:41 AM »
In case you wonder about Seurat's painting... Zooming is specially relevant here  O_O
 Colours are sloppy, and several other sites show better reproductions, but Google is the only one to put your nose on the canvas.
Edit : I have a 3000-piece jigsaw puzzle of this painting - a nightmare and a treat...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:34:49 AM by FrogEater »
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #17515 on: July 31, 2017, 12:36:41 PM »
I got done with a bunch of philosophy books[snip]
when we embrace that nothing matters is when we are free to find what really matters.

That's actually quite profound. Well said.

FrogEater, 3000 pieces, yikes. What size is the completed puzzle?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 12:41:28 PM by Iceea »
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #17516 on: July 31, 2017, 03:47:47 PM »
Another conference call.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Antillanka

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #17517 on: July 31, 2017, 08:23:04 PM »
That's actually quite profound. Well said.

FrogEater, 3000 pieces, yikes. What size is the completed puzzle?

Yeah, or what size are the pieces?? XD
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #17518 on: August 01, 2017, 10:22:17 AM »
It's 69 known satellites though, it's unlikely that we've found them all (in fact the 69th one was only discovered last month).

No. It's 68. Europa for all intents doesn't count. Thar be monoliths afoot there and is off limits to mankind.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
« Reply #17519 on: August 01, 2017, 12:43:36 PM »
The puzzle is pretty large and the pieces,fairly small :) (+- 2cm, I think).
They come from this shop (sorry: no English version, it seems). They are hand made, hand-jigsawed so to speak, in accordance with the picture - unlike the average industrial puzzle. See an example. That increases the price, of course :( ,but also the fun - and their choice of pictures is amazing....
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge