Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2304150 times)

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17475 on: July 18, 2017, 01:04:44 AM »
Or you might rather be the beautiful Australian herding dog called a kelpie. They are supposed to be part blue merle collie and part dingo.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17476 on: July 18, 2017, 02:44:57 AM »
Or you might rather be the beautiful Australian herding dog called a kelpie. They are supposed to be part blue merle collie and part dingo.
Oooh I didn't know about them! They are rather beautiful!
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

Róisín

« Reply #17477 on: July 18, 2017, 09:05:25 AM »
Apparently the original kelpie pup was named 'Kelpie' because there was at the time a fashion for giving pets and working animals mythological names, and the breeder was a Scot. Later on, when the black form of the dog emerged, they were named 'Barb Kelpies' after 'The Barb', a famous Melbourne Cup winning pure black horse, since like the horse they were beautiful, black and very, very fast.

My older son used to own one of these hyperactive dogs when he was working in the Outback, and when he came to live in a rural area just outside the city where it, and he, didn't have to work so hard, he would take the dog for a ten-mile run every morning before work. This slowed the dog down a little for the rest of the day, but not by much!

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #17478 on: July 18, 2017, 07:52:22 PM »
Apparently the original kelpie pup was named 'Kelpie' because there was at the time a fashion for giving pets and working animals mythological names, and the breeder was a Scot.

I've always vaguely wondered what the connection was! I suppose it's lucky that the breed didn't end up named after the nuckelavee.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Róisín

« Reply #17479 on: July 18, 2017, 11:23:27 PM »
That would be really scary!

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #17480 on: July 19, 2017, 10:00:00 AM »
So now I've had to look up the nuckalevee.

Sleipnope anyone?
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

GunmanRex

• Scout
  • My legs are OK
« Reply #17481 on: July 19, 2017, 10:30:16 AM »
So now I've had to look up the nuckalevee.

Sleipnope anyone?
The nuckelavee might actually fit in SSSS too, since the Danes ruled the Orkney islands for a significant time.
Native: :usa:
Steadily Studying: :ireland:
Atrophied: :france:
Future: :wales: :scotland:

:chap16::chap17::chap18:

I ramble a lot

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #17482 on: July 19, 2017, 11:31:56 AM »
I just checked the forum stats, and apparently I'm the fourth-most active person here...
I might have a problem.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #17483 on: July 19, 2017, 05:07:06 PM »
The combination of boot tree and outside had me picturing some kind of old knarled tree with boots hung all over it... XD
Ah, but that's on a different continent.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

« Reply #17484 on: July 19, 2017, 05:43:46 PM »
JoB, we have those in Australia too, mostly in Queensland. Also ones for underwear and bathers. Weird idea.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:42:12 PM by Róisín »

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #17485 on: July 19, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »
A bather, as I've seen the word used, would be a person (one who bathes); which would make it weirder yet.

Or much nastier.

I presume the word means something else in Australia!

Róisín

« Reply #17486 on: July 19, 2017, 09:51:10 PM »
Ah, yes. Bathing suit, swimming costume, swimsuit? 'Bathers' for persons who bathe seems to be more an English of England usage. We would say 'swimmers' for the person, though that can be confusing because 'swimmers' can also be used for the clothes they do it in. There are also trees for specifically thongs, a kind of beach sandal which in other places are called flip-flops or jandals. And I know that in some places a 'thong' is a very minimalist male swimming garment, not to mention the thong which is a leather strip with which one ties things.

English is weird.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #17487 on: July 20, 2017, 08:20:03 AM »
I just checked the forum stats, and apparently I'm the fourth-most active person here...
I might have a problem.

Welcome to the Forum Addiction Hall of Fame (AKA the stats page of spending too much time here). If you pass Laufey there is no hope for you.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #17488 on: July 20, 2017, 09:12:27 AM »
'Bathers' for persons who bathe seems to be more an English of England usage. We would say 'swimmers' for the person, though that can be confusing because 'swimmers' can also be used for the clothes they do it in.

I think books written in England is where I've seen it. "Swimmers" would be much more common here; but here it wouldn't be used for the clothes, which would be a bathing suit or possibly swimsuit.

There are also trees for specifically thongs, a kind of beach sandal which in other places are called flip-flops or jandals. And I know that in some places a 'thong' is a very minimalist male swimming garment, not to mention the thong which is a leather strip with which one ties things.

That type of sandal here is either a flip-flop or a thong. A thong can also be the leather strip to tie things with, though those aren't in common use in most circles so that would be a less likely meaning; or it can be the very minimalist garment, which can be worn by males or females (made slightly differently, but the same idea), and might be for swimming (in the case of women generally with an equally minimalist top), for underwear, or for "exotic" (sexual) dancing.

English is weird.

That's for sure!

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #17489 on: July 20, 2017, 10:20:41 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Addiction Hall of Fame (AKA the stats page of spending too much time here). If you pass Laufey there is no hope for you.

*pretends not to notice her own name on the list*  ::)

(above Sunflower! How???)
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.