Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2302276 times)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17445 on: July 07, 2017, 08:45:31 AM »
Also, my dad used to have a thing set up which made it so I couldn't access wifi after 11:00

I should get one of those for me.

But I'd have to set it up so I had override capacity, so it probably wouldn't work.

Sleep is for the weak and sickly.

And not getting sleep will make you that way.

(Or, of course, it may make somebody else that way, if your exhaustion causes an accident that involves somebody else.)

I'm not entirely sure how we wound up with an entire civilization in which almost nobody gets enough sleep; but I think Thomas Edison is partly to blame. Not just for the lights that make it possible, but for the culture (although it turns out that he took lots of daytime naps, while going on about the advantages of not sleeping at night.)

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17446 on: July 07, 2017, 09:28:43 AM »
I used to enjoy working night shifts. Fewer people, less glare and heat, less noise both mental and physical, and being able to enjoy the beach and the market without too many people underfoot. And much more interesting things to see.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17447 on: July 08, 2017, 02:09:52 PM »
I used to enjoy working night shifts. Fewer people, less glare and heat, less noise both mental and physical, and being able to enjoy the beach and the market without too many people underfoot. And much more interesting things to see.
The less people and noise is mostly why I even started staying up at night in the first place. Everything is much more pleasant when it's quiet. Now I just have to work on being at a beach market at night instead of in the middle of some creepy woods. :D
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

Róisín

« Reply #17448 on: July 08, 2017, 07:31:41 PM »
No, I was thinking more about things to do on the way home from work. My walk home from work used to take me past the beach at around 6 am, when it was clean and nobody was about, so I could go swimming without an audience. I may have mentioned elsewhere that I have some unpleasant scars, especially on my legs, and that now and then folk are rude about them. The scars don't bother me personally, but I prefer not to deal with people going either 'shock horror' or 'eeewwww how can you show that in public'.

The other useful spot I would pass on my walk home was the produce market, which early in the morning still had fresh vegetables and wasn't yet too much picked over, so I could do my shopping on the way home. Very useful.

Not that I mind creepy woods - they often have very interesting wildlife which comes out when the people aren't there. Way back, when I was running a folk club during a brief time in a city, I used to walk home around 3 or 4 a.m. through an at the time very neglected river park called Dight's Falls. It was neglected enough to have an undisturbed hermit - nice old chap. He was often about at night foraging or fishing, and I'd stop to have a cup of tea with him, and watch the Nankeen Night Herons diving in the pool near his humpy. He loved those birds.

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
« Reply #17449 on: July 09, 2017, 01:27:05 AM »
Ah okay that makes sense. I normally don't mind the woods at night, but for whatever reason I find the ones around my house deeply unsettling. I'm not a huge fan during the day and you couldn't pay me to go in at night.
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:

Róisín

« Reply #17450 on: July 09, 2017, 03:06:21 AM »
That's sad - night forests can be lovely. But if it doesn't feel good, probably unwise to go there.

Here in SA it's about 4 in the afternoon and I have just come back from our local forest (Mount Crawford). I've been teaching what will likely be our last Fungus Foraging class for the winter - the season is nearly over here, though still going down south in the Kuitpo Forest. We had a great class - very interested people, respectful of the forest, and careful to leave alone things they were told not to touch. One of the don't-touch things we found was a patch of Ghost Fungus, the one that glows in the dark. Beautiful but quite poisonous (all the luminous fungi in Australia are poisonous). But we also came away with a good feed of Saffron Milk Caps and Boletes, European species that are symbionts of the pines, plus a few Oyster Mushrooms. Found some non-fungus useful things too, native mints, Hypericum, some edible tubers of native cranesbills, and a weedy African orchid, Disa (Monadenia) bracteata, which people are encouraged to dig up as a weed, but the tubers of which make very nice salep. Altogether a fun and profitable day, even if cold, bleak and drizzling.

keitto-kettu

• Tumblr
« Reply #17451 on: July 09, 2017, 03:54:18 PM »
Don't have too many open foresty-type areas around here. Although we have ice cream places that are open moderately late, which are quite nice to go to at night!
:usa: - native
(colombian) :spain: - second language
:sweden: :japan: - trying to learn

Róisín

« Reply #17452 on: July 09, 2017, 08:18:27 PM »
That's fun in summer. Our town doesn't have an icecream parlour, though there is a good one in another small town about forty miles away - they do a nice strawberry icecream, with chunks of actual strawberry in it.

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #17453 on: July 10, 2017, 08:14:13 AM »
This has been going around my FB friends and I finally started looking.

It's all kinds of brilliant.  I don't know what category yet, but it's going on my Hugo ballot next year.

What Football Will Look Like in 17776.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
« Reply #17454 on: July 11, 2017, 02:03:26 AM »
This has been going around my FB friends and I finally started looking.

It's all kinds of brilliant.  I don't know what category yet, but it's going on my Hugo ballot next year.

What Football Will Look Like in 17776.
17776 is great and I can't get anyone to read it

Maybe I should stop dropping it in various chats my friends are in and telling them to read this cool article on football when they know I don't like football. It's probably suspicious.

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #17455 on: July 11, 2017, 08:36:28 AM »
17776 is great and I can't get anyone to read it

Maybe I should stop dropping it in various chats my friends are in and telling them to read this cool article on football when they know I don't like football. It's probably suspicious.

Tell them it's an unusual and very cool science fiction story.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #17456 on: July 11, 2017, 08:58:03 AM »
That is quite something! I don't have time to read it all right now, but I've gone through the intro and like what I see.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #17457 on: July 11, 2017, 09:25:10 AM »
Tell them it's an unusual and very cool science fiction story.

Yes. You're aiming for the wrong audience while missing those who would actually like it.

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #17458 on: July 11, 2017, 12:56:55 PM »
I binge read the whole thing and I'm not even into football.
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #17459 on: July 11, 2017, 01:08:03 PM »
I just finished it and. wow. that got deep fast. I relate deeply to 9 because w h a t
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05: