Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2365383 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1590 on: November 20, 2014, 09:00:40 PM »
Well... This past week has been crazy and I've had no time for anything. (Great, now I want to sing No Time.) Hopefully I'll be less busy for at least a little while!

So how's it going for all of you?
Relaxed.  Been playing through farcry 3 again before 4 shows up in the mail... it was supposed to show up today, with my microphone in the same package, but it didn't and that made me slightly mad.  Amazon is full of nothing but lieeeees.  And now I don't know what I want to do.  Do I draw, play guitar, play a game, learn some more Norwegian?  I can't decide!  I'm in a strange mood right now.
Swear filter.  I can fix the swear filter like I said I'd do forever ago. 
*Trundles away to fix things and be productive like a grown up*

Good to have you back in the land of the posting.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1591 on: November 20, 2014, 09:07:33 PM »
Well... This past week has been crazy and I've had no time for anything. (Great, now I want to sing No Time.) Hopefully I'll be less busy for at least a little while!

So how's it going for all of you?
Same here, I've had no time by myself, literally: both my sisters have finished school and make me get up at 6 to do all the housework, and I'm sharing my room with my mum because dad's snoring is horrendous and she can't sleep but SHE SNORES toO AND nOW I CanT sLeEp eITher.......

It's been okay I guess?
I was planning to cook my own dinner (and record stuff and draw and watch a movie!) because I'll be home alone tonight (oh no! A 20 year old will find it soooo hard) but I'm being collected and taken to my grandparents house for dinner instead ;___; it's not that I don't like them, it's just that I don't think I can survive the food D,8
Not again.

Never again.

Hehe I bought some "really spicy" noodles to make for dinner but I've just eaten them for lunch and....the spiciness was disappointing X'D oh well...
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #1592 on: November 20, 2014, 09:23:03 PM »
On the topic of Norwegian weapons of mass destruction:

Kollectivet:  "Size Matters!  (a/k/a "Suck My Æ Ø Å !")
/>

Hahaha, that was adorable. But if we're counting, the Russian alphabet has 33 letters... so.... :P
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #1593 on: November 20, 2014, 09:26:59 PM »
Hehe I bought some "really spicy" noodles to make for dinner but I've just eaten them for lunch and....the spiciness was disappointing X'D oh well...

I feel your disappointment. At least you still got to eat noodles.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1594 on: November 20, 2014, 09:29:08 PM »
On the topic of Norwegian weapons of mass destruction:

Kollectivet:  "Size Matters!  (a/k/a "Suck My Æ Ø Å !")
/>

It's "not available in your (my) country" ;___;

What was it? :P

I feel your disappointment. At least you still got to eat noodles.

Yeah, I guess..... My last edible meal.....
Maybe JoB knows a proper spicy microwave noodle brand :P

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #1595 on: November 20, 2014, 09:35:22 PM »

Um... Unfortunately I can't handle anything spicier than not-spicy-at-all because I'm a whimp like that.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #1596 on: November 20, 2014, 11:22:55 PM »

Origami, Origami, use Hola! I think noako posted it a while ago. Seriously useful. No more blocked YouTube videos, everrrrrr.
Am notified of private messages via email.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #1597 on: November 21, 2014, 12:37:09 AM »
Sorry, I'm really fond of pasta, convenience food, and spicy, but the combination thereof turns out as "prepare pasta in a pot with boiling water, put mildly spicy ready-to-eat pesto on top (*), then level up with straight chili powders."

((*) When going spicy, that's often a certain Pesto Arrabbiata. Not at all spicy itself, but a good base to heap capsaicin on. But the Italian maker doesn't sell that line even back in Italy, so it's not a usable suggestion in this int'l forum ...)

I've pretty much given up on finding spicy sauces. They need some sort of substrate to hold the capsaicin in suspension, and that is usually vinegar, so the sauces tend to have a strong taste of either vinegar or something strong enough to cover up the vinegar (for anything labeled "Chipotle", that's the taste of "smoke"). Hence, powders.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1598 on: November 21, 2014, 01:06:18 AM »
Origami, Origami, use Hola! I think noako posted it a while ago. Seriously useful. No more blocked YouTube videos, everrrrrr.
Oh! Ok! But i'm not using my own computer....am i able to uninstall it? Would it work for vocaroo? Because I can't access vocaroo ;____; awah

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1599 on: November 21, 2014, 02:06:56 AM »
Hahaha, that was adorable. But if we're counting, the Russian alphabet has 33 letters... so.... :P

And the Albanian one has 36. Nyah-nyah! If alphabet size matters, then we win! In Europe at least...
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1600 on: November 21, 2014, 02:53:41 AM »
Sorry, I'm really fond of pasta, convenience food, and spicy, but the combination thereof turns out as "prepare pasta in a pot with boiling water, put mildly spicy ready-to-eat pesto on top (*), then level up with straight chili powders."

((*) When going spicy, that's often a certain Pesto Arrabbiata. Not at all spicy itself, but a good base to heap capsaicin on. But the Italian maker doesn't sell that line even back in Italy, so it's not a usable suggestion in this int'l forum ...)

I've pretty much given up on finding spicy sauces. They need some sort of substrate to hold the capsaicin in suspension, and that is usually vinegar, so the sauces tend to have a strong taste of either vinegar or something strong enough to cover up the vinegar (for anything labeled "Chipotle", that's the taste of "smoke"). Hence, powders.

We probably should be discussing this on the recipe thread, but what about spicy Thai/Indonesian/etc. sauces?  Those often have fatty ingredients (coconut milk, peanut butter, etc.) in which to suspend the capsaicin.  I don't know what's available worldwide, but here in Asian-influenced California, grocery stores routinely sell all kinds of bottled and canned Southeast Asian hot sauces and preparations.  (Then there's Sriracha Sauce, which I am not fond  of but apparently fuels the entire tech industry...)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #1601 on: November 21, 2014, 03:58:38 AM »
Oh! Ok! But i'm not using my own computer....am i able to uninstall it? Would it work for vocaroo? Because I can't access vocaroo ;____; awah

Hmm, if you can't access Vocaroo, that's probably not something to do with your geographical location. I can access it just fine without Hola. Probably something with the user's browser settings, an overactive anti-virus program, or if you're accessing it through, say, the Education network, it may be blocked via that and then there's no way around it (that I would recommend, that is). What's the error message you're getting when you're trying to reach it?

But as for uninstalling, that's easy! It's only a browser extension. If you're using Firefox (I don't use others so I can't tell you directions for them, but it'd be in a similar spot), just go to the Add-ons page and click Remove, and there, gone.
Am notified of private messages via email.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1602 on: November 21, 2014, 05:14:09 AM »
Hmm, if you can't access Vocaroo, that's probably not something to do with your geographical location. I can access it just fine without Hola. Probably something with the user's browser settings, an overactive anti-virus program, or if you're accessing it through, say, the Education network, it may be blocked via that and then there's no way around it (that I would recommend, that is). What's the error message you're getting when you're trying to reach it?

But as for uninstalling, that's easy! It's only a browser extension. If you're using Firefox (I don't use others so I can't tell you directions for them, but it'd be in a similar spot), just go to the Add-ons page and click Remove, and there, gone.
It keeps telling me the connection failed.... maybe it's the home network being paranoid? Hmmmm

Random Anecdote:

Just got back from my grandparent's house, it was nearly death by cream puff ;__; I swear she had thawed out those cream and jelly puffs from the freezer- cream and all- because the cream tasted like meat freezer XP nuuuuuuu
And I had to cut steak with a butter knife...... *sigh* My grandfather and I had a long conversation about politics for some bizarre reason, and we talked about seeing all the world leader people on tv and then he said something and I was trying so hard not to laugh..... *composes self* he went on a long tangent about the US presidents and some mysterious fellow called "Obana" *cries laughing* I wanted to correct him so baaaaad, but he's deaf so I'd have to shout it and that would be a bit rude.... So anyway, after tea and biscuits I decided to walk home because it was still light, convincing them that I'm capable enough to handle one night home alone.

But halfway home I heard voices coming from the bush/forest from up the hill at the furthest point of the property, and went into mage-mode: Two people were having a loud and jolly conversation and finally they emerged from the trees- on our property (which is creepy because there are no tracks, roads, or houses up there...just forest and tree plantations) -having a casual stroll down through our paddock!
I hid behind a bush but they saw me (I was wearing a giant white fluffy jumper) and yelled out "HELLO!!" and waved and I was horrified but waved back because I'd decided that they were too jolly and jaunty (and Sigrun-y) and festively dressed to be psycho murderers... so I just stood there and watched them wander off into our orchard, not moving until I saw them emerge on the other side and meander off across our neighbour's property instead..... O____O

As therapy I walked down to one of our dams that had been redug to check if the platypus was ok- it was, and so was it's ginormous friend, so I sat and watched them for a bit then ran home, paranoid about wayward bush-walkers..... 0___0 aaaaaaghhhh

^ hehe they were eating stuff so I guess the excavation work stirred up all their prey X)

EDIT: AAAArrrrgh I swear there's irony in relatives not trusting my cooking abilities then giving me food poisoning with their cooking that they insisted I eat instead.... *curls up on the couch watching some documentary about Barbara Streisand doing a duet with John Mayer not crying from loneliness*

Any movie/DVD recommendations? ;____;
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:56:39 AM by OrigamiOwl »

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1603 on: November 21, 2014, 08:14:00 AM »
Sweetie, come clean:  You ARE Sigrun, aren't you?  I bet that's exactly what she says when sitting down to a nice spit-roasted Rash Beast.   :P
Eeh, I think I have a lot less in common with Sigrun than you seem to assume... Okay, maybe I say something Sigruny every once in a while. Maybe Minna really did capture some defining aspect of being Norwegian.

Relaxed.  Been playing through farcry 3 again before 4 shows up in the mail... it was supposed to show up today, with my microphone in the same package, but it didn't and that made me slightly mad.  Amazon is full of nothing but lieeeees.  And now I don't know what I want to do.  Do I draw, play guitar, play a game, learn some more Norwegian?  I can't decide!  I'm in a strange mood right now.
Swear filter.  I can fix the swear filter like I said I'd do forever ago. 
*Trundles away to fix things and be productive like a grown up*

Good to have you back in the land of the posting.
I'm mildly offended but mostly painfully jealous of the fact that you have enough free time to wonder how to spend it all =P

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1604 on: November 21, 2014, 09:19:05 AM »
On the topic of having no time and being exhausted: I really tried to read something. Procrastinating on the internet. But it turns out these kids really got me today. One got a suspension for next week, of two it is not decided yet in which way they will be allowed back into class and a third tries really hard to angry anyone, friend or foe doesn't matter, so he may have fun with them showing annoyence. I never thought I would say this, but: I wish they would raise his dose of his drugs. At least the kids who normally caused most of the trouble controlled themselves to a decent level. It is 3:18 pm, sun is shining and it is bedtime for me. Afterwards I promise to post the knitting script.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information