Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2359996 times)

October Sky

• Tumblr
  • Smile like you mean it
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they? Honestly no clue at this point
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17865 on: December 08, 2017, 07:53:53 PM »
Well I made a meme and I'm not sure where else to put it (if there's a meme thread I'll move it there) so you guys get it I guess, enjoy:
https://further-down-the-spiral.tumblr.com/post/168339928722/hey-i-know-i-said-i-was-done-but-im-so-sorry
Nationality: :usa:
kinda but not really: :japan:
:chap16: :chap17: :chap18:

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #17866 on: December 09, 2017, 02:53:03 AM »
When all you want to do is install one little program and you end up having to update the entire ****ing system...

Also, to avoid double posting:

Was watching a Top 10 Hottest Animated Guys list (it's Saturday night, don't judge me!) and I came to a profound realization:

Emil has He-Man's hair.

Possible explanations, go.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:02:03 AM by Lazy8 »
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17867 on: December 09, 2017, 08:29:41 AM »
Didn't one of the fanwriters use He-Man in a fic as Emil's phone messaging tag?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #17868 on: December 09, 2017, 09:43:59 AM »
When all you want to do is install one little program and you end up having to update the entire ****ing system...

Also, to avoid double posting:

Was watching a Top 10 Hottest Animated Guys list (it's Saturday night, don't judge me!) and I came to a profound realization:

Emil has He-Man's hair.

Minna watched a lot of 80's cartoons and was inspired by that? They go to the same hairstylist? SSSS is a He-Man prequel? Who knows.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #17869 on: December 09, 2017, 04:16:45 PM »
Didn't one of the fanwriters use He-Man in a fic as Emil's phone messaging tag?

The college one IIRC.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17870 on: December 10, 2017, 02:40:20 AM »
Well I made a meme and I'm not sure where else to put it (if there's a meme thread I'll move it there) so you guys get it I guess, enjoy:
https://further-down-the-spiral.tumblr.com/post/168339928722/hey-i-know-i-said-i-was-done-but-im-so-sorry

After a long look through Forum threads, I came up with....bupkus.  We have an active thread for SSSS-edits, inactive ones featuring our self-insert characters and discussion of all the memes /in-jokes we share as a fandom, and an art museum for non-SSSS themed artworks, but none for non-SSSS-themed edits.  Hmmmm. 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #17871 on: December 10, 2017, 02:09:09 PM »
Minna watched a lot of 80's cartoons and was inspired by that? They go to the same hairstylist? SSSS is a He-Man prequel? Who knows.

At an anime con I attended, someone did a panel with the idea that He-Man, (which I just abhorred - couldn't watch it) was created by a company that had made a whole bunch of action figures to go with the first Conan movie. When they saw the movie they realized that it wasn't going to work, Conan being a little too adult. So they commissioned someone else to write a series to use the figures.
The real story is a bit more nuanced than that. Mattel actually had an agreement with the Conan properties to make Conan toy stuff. But it was terminated before the Conan movie came out. Mattel went on to produce the He-Man figures and the rest of the Master of the Universe stuff. The Conan people sued Mattel saying they used the Conan material to make the He-Man line of toys. The Conan people did not win their suit and the rest, as they say, is history.
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #17872 on: December 10, 2017, 05:23:14 PM »

Emil has He-Man's hair.

Quite obviously the team needs to be on the lookout for magic swords. Once they find one Emil can hold it aloft, shout some gibberish about Castle Greyskull and transform into a muscle bound freak (kitty will naturally transform into a giant, lime green tiger).

Now, since He-Man has been mentioned it is mandatory that this be posted.

Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #17873 on: December 12, 2017, 04:26:07 PM »
Emil has He-Man's hair.
... when Emil was younger still than in the dream we saw, his family was rich enough to hand him the pre-Rash action figures and, seeing He-Man's hair, Emil pulled a Gordito?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #17874 on: December 14, 2017, 01:15:31 PM »
FCC votes in favor of repealing Net Neutrality 3:2; in favor of repeal.

Press F to pay respects.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 01:23:33 PM by MR_PLINKETT »

JoB

« Reply #17875 on: December 14, 2017, 05:18:42 PM »
FCC votes in favor of repealing Net Neutrality 3:2; in favor of repeal.
Press F to pay respects.
Shouldn't that be "insert coin to comment"? :P
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #17876 on: December 15, 2017, 06:25:35 AM »
Shouldn't that be "insert coin to comment"? :P

I know that in reality, it would be a really, really hard knock on the poorer part of the population and yet another way to suppress their voices (and that the end of Net Neutrality eventually basically does that to what is available to read and watch in the first place), but now I'm kind of wondering how such a system would affect internet trolling and jerkassery as a whole.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 06:34:50 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

JoB

« Reply #17877 on: December 15, 2017, 06:51:52 AM »
I know that in reality, it would be a really, really hard knock on the poorer part of the population and yet another way to suppress their voices (and that the end of Net Neutrality eventually basically does that to what is available to read and watch in the first place), but now I'm kind of wondering how such a system would affect internet trolling and jerkassery as a whole.
Trolling and spam (comments) get redistributed from sites (comment sections, fora etc.) that already have some authority (AUP, moderation) to remove it from the data they output. The big players usually don't do very much to that effect, though. Translation: Unless buying yourself fast connections raises the bandwidth cost a lot, the cost-to-benefit ratio of moderation is IMHO unlikely to tip in favor of upping it.

As for e-mail spam ... hm. So far, all attempts at introducing "postage" to pay for sending e-mails have failed, but manipulation of the cost and availability of the very network connections might be sufficiently "far down under the hood" to make it impossible to ignore or work around. But OTOH, if there's "bulletproof servers" where money can buy you immunity from legal and technical attempts at having your spam cannon shut down, I guess that having to buy "faster-than-bullets network" just adds another line to the bill.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #17878 on: December 15, 2017, 07:32:04 AM »
Thank you. I asked the question in part because I knew I was missing part of the picture and needed input from someone who knows something about it.
But that only really answers what I had in mind for the company-level side of things.
I was also wondering about this scenario for further up the chain, before comments get moderated (or not), when an individual person chooses to pay money (by that I mean their own, without any kind of backer) to post a comment.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 08:11:37 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #17879 on: December 15, 2017, 07:57:51 AM »
Well, it's not quite done and dusted yet. There are still court challenges to go through so if everyone keeps up the pressure net neutrality may yet be saved.

If it isn't, well I saw a post today that pointed out the threat to innovation. Treating all data the same means that small startup companies have the same access to bandwidth as the big players. Things like VOIP exist because small startups were able to plug in to an unbiased internet and get their signals treated the same as everyone else. Without net neutrality small players will be locked out and the pace of innovation will slow to a crawl.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t