Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2354285 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17820 on: November 15, 2017, 10:09:09 PM »
Hadn't met that trope before. But yeah, pretty much. I mean, I'm obviously old, and female, and very short, and I limp. But an observant person would notice that I'm also still quite heavyset and muscly, and that my walking stick is a nice solid balanced blackthorn stick. So when the young fool came running up loudly behind me in an Adelaide laneway where there was no reason to run, and grabbed the strap of my shoulder bag, I stopped, braced myself on both feet and my stick, held onto the bag and let gravity take its course. Which it did. Had it been just for myself I might have left him, but I called the police because next time he might have picked on a genuinely fragile and helpless old person. People who prey on the defenceless annoy me.

Now we want need art of Róisín the Badass Laneway Avenger.  Anyone up for that?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

GunmanRex

• Scout
  • My legs are OK
« Reply #17821 on: November 15, 2017, 10:30:27 PM »
Hadn't met that trope before. But yeah, pretty much. I mean, I'm obviously old, and female, and very short, and I limp. But an observant person would notice that I'm also still quite heavyset and muscly, and that my walking stick is a nice solid balanced blackthorn stick. So when the young fool came running up loudly behind me in an Adelaide laneway where there was no reason to run, and grabbed the strap of my shoulder bag, I stopped, braced myself on both feet and my stick, held onto the bag and let gravity take its course. Which it did. Had it been just for myself I might have left him, but I called the police because next time he might have picked on a genuinely fragile and helpless old person. People who prey on the defenceless annoy me.
Nice, I smiled when reading this.
Also:
blackthorn
Good choice.
Native: :usa:
Steadily Studying: :ireland:
Atrophied: :france:
Future: :wales: :scotland:

:chap16::chap17::chap18:

I ramble a lot

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17822 on: November 15, 2017, 11:03:16 PM »
I have two favourite walking sticks, one the blackthorn which one of my cousins brought back for me from a trip he made to visit relatives in Ireland, the other one of plumwood with an applewood handle, which was made for me by one of the craftsmen at the Gumeracha Mediaeval Fair. I also have a plumwood walking staff for use in the bush, and one of redgum wood painted with traditional designs which was a gift from a local Perramangk marngit. That one is a bit heavy for ordinary use.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #17823 on: November 16, 2017, 12:24:23 AM »
I have two favourite walking sticks, one the blackthorn which one of my cousins brought back for me from a trip he made to visit relatives in Ireland, the other one of plumwood with an applewood handle, which was made for me by one of the craftsmen at the Gumeracha Mediaeval Fair. I also have a plumwood walking staff for use in the bush, and one of redgum wood painted with traditional designs which was a gift from a local Perramangk marngit. That one is a bit heavy for ordinary use.

Nice. I always liked those old Irish walking sticks. Always knew they were good argument solvers ;)

My father almost got robbed once. Poor sod didn't realize old pap had a model 70 colt on him. Poor kid was standing there in embarrassment when the police.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17824 on: November 16, 2017, 01:06:53 AM »
That must have been totally humiliating for the kid. Deserved, however.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #17825 on: November 16, 2017, 09:21:44 AM »
Thanks for contributing to making people think twice about assuming that little old ladies are helpless.

You were right to call the police. If he'd done that to my mother during her last few years, she'd almost certainly have fallen and broken something; and quite possibly died significantly sooner, as her bones were no longer in good shape to heal.

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #17826 on: November 16, 2017, 04:25:39 PM »
I'm taking a few days off to get my use-it-or-lose-it annual leave that accrued when my last two leave requests were denied due to short staffing problems. I had no plans since the days are chosen by availability of my substitute to work for me so I am mostly on the computer. Today I finally added some chapter break ribbons to my profile which only took me an hour to puzzle out how to do. I'm getting better at this computer machine stuff  for an old guy.
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17827 on: November 16, 2017, 05:38:53 PM »
I'm taking a few days off to get my use-it-or-lose-it annual leave that accrued when my last two leave requests were denied due to short staffing problems. I had no plans since the days are chosen by availability of my substitute to work for me so I am mostly on the computer. Today I finally added some chapter break ribbons to my profile which only took me an hour to puzzle out how to do. I'm getting better at this computer machine stuff  for an old guy.

Congrats!  *notices 18th chapter ribbon*  Holy smokes, the new one's out, yay!

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #17828 on: November 20, 2017, 03:36:53 AM »
Hi everybody :)
Book 2 Kickstarter is here ! And of course for us Europeans cost will be... errr... well :-\ One of my friend already asked if I could take two books in order to pay less. I don't know if it's the best solution and with how many books, but will just suggest to proceed like that. Maybe it can help some of you to get it :) (I can try to see if it's still interesting with more than two books.)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Roulietta

• DeviantArt
  • Hapless ham-fisted French
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #17829 on: November 20, 2017, 05:55:43 AM »
The cover of book 2 is just so awsome *-*
Default settings: :france:
Oddly more or less mastered : :uk:
Studied it five years and still can't speak a word: :spain:
Seriously studying and can swear in this language: :german:

JacobThomsen

• Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #17830 on: November 20, 2017, 06:44:39 AM »
Yasss, I'm already so excited for Book 2, can't wait to have it in my hands. Now I just need to decide how much I'll have increased this month's budget
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #17831 on: November 20, 2017, 11:24:25 AM »
In less than 24 hours it has already been funded.

Damn.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17832 on: November 20, 2017, 01:57:38 PM »
In less than 24 hours it has already been funded.

Damn.

Wow, I haven't even had a chance to go look yet, but tbh I expected nothing less.

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #17833 on: November 20, 2017, 09:29:20 PM »
Not only do we have the Kickstarter, we have all that adorable new art of Kitty to go with it! :)
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #17834 on: November 21, 2017, 07:51:50 PM »
One of my friend already asked if I could take two books in order to pay less.
Of course, the central question here is whether piling rewards onto a single backer does in fact save shipping costs, and is even possible beyond the multibook tiers added after the fact.

(I can adapt to whatever method Hiveworks can best deal with - up the single pledge and sort out the extra rewards later, create multiple KS accounts, or order the addendum from the Hiveworks store after the KS campaign - as long as Hiveworks picks one before the campaign's over ...)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15