Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2349964 times)

midwestmutt

• Scout
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17655 on: October 02, 2017, 02:08:21 PM »
My co-worker in my office has a daughter who is a freshman at the University of Las Vegas. Luckily she was nowhere near the mass killing last night though she was at a different concert at the same place just last week. She neglected to call home to let them know she was OK even after getting numerous calls from friends asking about her safety. Her parents were only able to contact her around 3:00 this morning our time. Please remember-If you are ever in an area where there is such an attack-CALL HOME!
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17656 on: October 03, 2017, 02:50:05 AM »
My co-worker in my office has a daughter who is a freshman at the University of Las Vegas. Luckily she was nowhere near the mass killing last night though she was at a different concert at the same place just last week. She neglected to call home to let them know she was OK even after getting numerous calls from friends asking about her safety. Her parents were only able to contact her around 3:00 this morning our time. Please remember-If you are ever in an area where there is such an attack-CALL HOME!

Indeedy.  I think FaceBook (among others) has a facility for marking that you're safe in calamitous circumstances. 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #17657 on: October 03, 2017, 10:48:10 AM »
Indeedy.  I think FaceBook (among others) has a facility for marking that you're safe in calamitous circumstances. 

It does. I created a similar thread here, so that people can post that they are safe. If you are in Las Vegas, you can post there to let us know you are safe. You can also post there if you are in any of the areas affected by hurricanes, earthquakes, or other natural disasters that have been happening. People asking after the safety of anyone (from the Minnion community) in an affected area can post inquiries there as well.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #17658 on: October 07, 2017, 06:37:52 PM »
I just found "The Short Trip", a beautiful interactive illustration where you control a trolley through a hand-drawn forest/mountain/village background. it's really peaceful and nice. ^-^

The creator has another similar illustration here (it isn't interactive, so for those of you who the interactive one doesn't work for, this is still a great example of his work):

His name is Alexander Perrin, you can see more of his work here: link
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:40:45 PM by Luth Nightbreeze »
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #17659 on: October 08, 2017, 05:56:26 PM »
*spends 10 minutes trying to log in because my cell phone kept autocorrecting my username to Solomon*

*completely forgot what i was going to post*
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17660 on: October 08, 2017, 06:31:04 PM »
*spends 10 minutes trying to log in because my cell phone kept autocorrecting my username to Solomon*

*completely forgot what i was going to post*

*questions the wisdom of this*  *runs away*

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #17661 on: October 09, 2017, 12:01:41 PM »
Reminder: Lief Erickson was a catholic not a pagan.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #17662 on: October 09, 2017, 03:12:56 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!  :D
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #17663 on: October 09, 2017, 03:30:56 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving, O Canada!

(and anybody else who's having thanksgiving now)

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #17664 on: October 09, 2017, 04:04:18 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving! (to everyone celebrating it today, that is!) May you enjoy good food and good company :)
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17665 on: October 09, 2017, 04:24:03 PM »
Reminder: Lief Erickson was a catholic not a pagan.
I've never thought about that.  Christianity reached into Scandinavia by then, but had it really taken hold?  *shrugs and files info into the bottomless trivia bucket that passes for my brain*

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17666 on: October 09, 2017, 04:48:14 PM »
True, and it has just gone Leif Erikson Day, hasn't it? A lot of the early Scandinavian Christians were still fairly pagan, or practised both religions depending on the circumstances, since their conversion was largely political, and socially was from the top down, not affecting the the ordinary folk much for some hundreds of years. Greenland actually had a treaty with the pope, not that it did them much good, what with climate change and the plague.

Remember that early priest who wrote a letter of complaint to his superiors, about how his nominally Christian congregation would go home from church, and would then 'offer at evening to the elves'?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #17667 on: October 10, 2017, 01:50:57 AM »
I've never thought about that.  Christianity reached into Scandinavia by then, but had it really taken hold?  *shrugs and files info into the bottomless trivia bucket that passes for my brain*

It was working its way in. He was excommunicated by his father for converting others to Christianity including his mom. By ehh 1200ish the Norse religion was gone and large portions of western Finland were Christian as well. Eastern Finland was crusaded into and converted not too long after that.

The Saami people took the longest though. Saami weren't fully converted until the 18th century.

Another myth is that people uphold Vikings as great warriors. But when they went against real drilled armies they got annihilated. They were only good at killing women, children, and monks who couldn't fight back.

Also while he may have discovered the new world and founded vinland it got wiped out by natives and lack of support from Denmark.

If anything, Columbus didn't find America first; But his Spanish employers were the ones who truly settled America.They may have been cruel to the natives. But Spain and Portugal lead the way for Europeans to the new world/age of discovery.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 03:28:00 AM by MR_PLINKETT »

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17668 on: October 10, 2017, 03:27:24 AM »
Sure, the age of discovering yet new civilizations to destroy for the benefit of Mother Europe <3 "Cruelty to the natives" - which means slavery, plundering, mass killing and rape, and occasionally wiping out entire cultures - shouldn't be a tiny footnote in a mostly positive narrative. I understand and share the enthusiasm for discovery and scientific progress but let's be honest about the cost it had in that era, due to the stupidity, greed and entitlement of the "developed" nations. Mass human suffering is not excusable just so that a handful of privileged nations can play with new toys and become even more powerful.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17669 on: October 10, 2017, 06:34:23 AM »
Yea that, Sc0ut!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!