Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2332776 times)

Hrollo

• Ranger
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17625 on: September 16, 2017, 08:10:39 PM »
Wait... wut George Romero is dead?

Yeah... and Tobe Hoper too. It's a bad year for horror fans.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #17626 on: September 17, 2017, 07:47:18 PM »
Been a while since I had time to post here. As it turns out, the Australian renting market is terrible! Especially when you're a student with a cat. I feel like I'm gonna need witchcraft to find a place that'll take both me and my little stinker (refer to profile pic)
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17627 on: September 17, 2017, 08:44:20 PM »
The Australian rental market is indeed terrible! I'm so glad to be out of it, even if that means paying a mortgage for the rest of my life. Are you looking to rent in Brisbane again?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #17628 on: September 18, 2017, 08:54:22 AM »
This, completely out of nowhere: I want puppies! Seriously, I just really, really want a whole lot of doggies to cuddle right now. Curse you Spotify for mentioning puppies in your commercials!
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #17629 on: September 18, 2017, 09:09:45 AM »
This, completely out of nowhere: I want puppies! Seriously, I just really, really want a whole lot of doggies to cuddle right now. Curse you Spotify for mentioning puppies in your commercials!

Does this satisfy your canine conundrum?
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #17630 on: September 18, 2017, 09:26:46 AM »
Does this satisfy your canine conundrum?

EEEEEEEEE that's adorable give me all of them I will cuddle them all right now!
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #17631 on: September 18, 2017, 11:59:48 AM »
I just mentally block horned helmets that pretend to be viking whenever I see them.

There, I fixed it, though it should have been read in context ;) I'd also argue that the ones in aRTD are headdresses rather than helmets. There are plenty of horned headdresses that I enjoy.

Sc0ut, those are way cool. I particularly like the Czech Republic St Nicolas.
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Róisín

« Reply #17632 on: September 18, 2017, 07:39:44 PM »
Sc0ut, Iceea's post reminded me, and I tried opening your pictures on the newer iPad and it worked! Those are amazing. Many of them look to be Green Man variants, their costumes the remnants of old shamanic fertility ritual regalia. We have similar things at the Mylor English Ale every year. If you look up 'Mylor English Ale - Torchlight Parade' you should be able to see some of them.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #17633 on: September 19, 2017, 03:50:10 PM »
I got attacked by a dog this weekend. Bitten twice.

They also attacked an older man and bit him. My partner called the police and animal control caught the dogs. It was pretty scary, but I'm going to be fine once I heal.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Shine

• Ranger
  • I'm probably a person.
« Reply #17634 on: September 19, 2017, 04:15:50 PM »
I only just realised this, but... in the last 3 weeks the top temperatures in my (coastal, mediterranean, temperate) city went down 20 degrees. What the duck? This is Not Okay? I just... What?

This weather would be acceptable in mid-october at the earliest. I repeat, what the duck?
Native :italy:
Fluent :uk: :germany:
Want to learn :norway: :finland:

Survived:        :chap5::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #17635 on: September 19, 2017, 05:27:09 PM »

They also attacked an older man and bit him. My partner called the police and animal control caught the dogs. It was pretty scary, but I'm going to be fine once I heal.

Ouch. Get better soon!

Róisín

« Reply #17636 on: September 19, 2017, 07:01:02 PM »
Shine, the disrupted weather is no fun, is it? I think we are just going to have to accustom ourselves now to having totally random weather. I try to have reserves of things like water, fuel and food, and be prepared for flood or bushfire at any time of year, because that's what our weather here is doing. Australian weather has always been a bit that way, but in recent years the extremes have become more extreme, and the underlying cycles can't be relied on anymore. It's scary, but good preparation helps.

Viola, I'm glad you are going to be okay. Dog attacks are very frightening, and a traumatic experience, especially if you usually get on with dogs. Such things are usually the fault of the owners, sadly. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to own dogs. Did you get a tetanus shot? *hugs*

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #17637 on: September 19, 2017, 07:30:04 PM »
Shine, the disrupted weather is no fun, is it? I think we are just going to have to accustom ourselves now to having totally random weather. I try to have reserves of things like water, fuel and food, and be prepared for flood or bushfire at any time of year, because that's what our weather here is doing. Australian weather has always been a bit that way, but in recent years the extremes have become more extreme, and the underlying cycles can't be relied on anymore. It's scary, but good preparation helps.

It does look like the weather is getting disrupted everywhere. We just had an extreme wind storm out of the blue last weekend, tore the roofs off some buildings and killed a few people. This kind of thing never used to happen here. It's scary.
I wonder what all this will mean for gardening, especially the more sustainable/nature-based methods. If the natural cycles get all messed up, we'll be forced to rely on more and more complex technology to ensure crops. Food prices will go up, people won't be able to rely on their own gardens as much... it doesn't look good. *narrowly avoids getting into a rant about how humanity is destroying itself because of greed*.

That's terrible, I'm sorry you went through this :( I hope you recover fast!

Róisín

« Reply #17638 on: September 19, 2017, 10:27:48 PM »
Sc0ut, this is why I have a permaculture, and why I'm glad you are exploring that area too. Weather that kills some plants will be good for others. Not everything will do well every year, but there will always be something to eat. It's why I spend so much time teaching people to build food gardens in any conditions. I'm actually doing that at a big garden festival in Mount Pleasant this Saturday, talking about how to build herb and food gardens in the most difficult conditions (yeah, South Australia).

I may not be able to make much difference on the big picture scale, but for the moment I'll keep trying to save the world one backyard at a time!

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #17639 on: September 19, 2017, 10:41:55 PM »

Eep! Sorry to hear that!

Did you need to get rabies shots?  :(
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t