Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2375604 times)

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17400 on: June 18, 2017, 09:30:56 PM »
You may have noticed that the header bar has stylish aRTD decor!
You may have also read before, that it's aRTD week between June 18 (yesterday, I was lazy with the decorating ::)) to June 24 (midsummer's day).
So if you feel like you've been waiting for some special excuse to make some stuff set in the world of Minna's first webcomic, go ahead, the aRTD board is waiting for it! ^-^ You can also check out the aRTD Week Prompts and Art-fic exchanges threads. Have fun! ;)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:34:45 PM by Eriaror »
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #17401 on: June 18, 2017, 09:34:27 PM »
Has anybody ever done a day's worth of international travel? I'm gonna spend roughly a day and a half in transit tomorrow (because apparently living in Australia means you live on the damn moon). I've done long-haul flights before, but never this much in one go. Anybody got tips, apart from bringing your own sandwiches?
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Antillanka

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #17402 on: June 18, 2017, 10:46:01 PM »
You may have noticed that the header bar has stylish aRTD decor!
You may have also read before, that it's aRTD week between June 18 (yesterday, I was lazy with the decorating ::)) to June 24 (midsummer's day).
So if you feel like you've been waiting for some special excuse to make some stuff set in the world of Minna's first webcomic, go ahead, the aRTD board is waiting for it! ^-^ You can also check out the aRTD Week Prompts and Art-fic exchanges threads. Have fun! ;)

Ooooooh!!! :D I love this, I usually don't remember to give aRTD all the love it deserves ^^
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17403 on: June 18, 2017, 11:22:17 PM »
Has anybody ever done a day's worth of international travel? I'm gonna spend roughly a day and a half in transit tomorrow (because apparently living in Australia means you live on the damn moon). I've done long-haul flights before, but never this much in one go. Anybody got tips, apart from bringing your own sandwiches?

Well I haven't done quite as much traveling as you need to do, but a couple of tips off the top of my head:
If any luggage needs to be under a certain weight, make sure you weigh it before you go, and leave some wiggle room (especially if you plan to buy anything on your travels).
Make sure your carry-on has a change of clothes in case they lose your luggage.
Also, having some hand sanitizer and tissues on hand is useful if you find yourself in a bathroom that has... run out of certain amenities.
Make sure you've thoroughly looked through the rules on what you can and can't bring: some things aren't so intuitive and it's so frustrating to be held up because of bagging issues.
Similarly, make sure all of the relevant documentation (passport, plane ticket, etc.) is easily accessible and hard to lose track of.
If you're going to a significantly different time zone, start acclimating to it on the place. Sleep when it's night at your destination, and stay awake when it's day. You won't sleep /well/, but better to get that first day of jetlag over with as soon as possible.

I'm sure you've already thought of some/all of these, and someone who's done more traveling will have better tips. But just in case, these were the important things I could think of! I hope you have a good trip, wherever you're going!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Shine

• Ranger
  • I'm probably a person.
« Reply #17404 on: June 19, 2017, 02:11:43 AM »

I'm not sure how useful this is, but in my experience long travel can get seriously depressing, so I suggest bringing something sweet to cheer yourself up. Fruit has always worked best for me, even though it's not the easiest of travel foods, because it also helps against the mild dehydration you tend to get on planes.

The only day-long travel I've ever done was a car traverse of Germany with my family, but if that is any example I would also suggest some sort of stress reliever lest you strangle one of your fellow travelers. (Because that kind of stuff is illegal, ya know)

Good luck!
Native :italy:
Fluent :uk: :germany:
Want to learn :norway: :finland:

Survived:        :chap5::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #17405 on: June 19, 2017, 02:49:56 AM »
If you can get hold of a pair of noise cancelling headphones, do so! The rumble of plane engines for 24 hours plus can drive one to insanity!

Take a good book or two.

If you're going to be spending any time in an airport bring a power board and international plug adaptor in your carry on luggage. You will be the most popular person there :)

Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #17406 on: June 19, 2017, 03:05:48 AM »
Stay hydrated! It sounds super obvious but it gets pretty easy to forget to drink water when you're running around airports and sitting in planes all day. Also, dehydration makes jetlag feel worse.
If you've got a lot of connecting flights, make sure you know the time zones of each place you'll land in! (One time in Pheonix, I panicked because I thought I was an hour late. Turns out Pheonix just doesn't follow daylight savings. Because time zones in the US weren't confusing enough, apparently.)
I like to have a box of mints with me. Helps with the gross mouth feel.
Dress in layers, or at least bring a light jacket or blanket. Some flights end up being really cold, others are really hot, so there are usualy wild temperature changes without even accounting for the weather at your destination.
I'm not sure how useful this is, but in my experience long travel can get seriously depressing, so I suggest bringing something sweet to cheer yourself up. Fruit has always worked best for me, even though it's not the easiest of travel foods, because it also helps against the mild dehydration you tend to get on planes.
I always used to save candy for long trips. ;D Fruit is probably a lot healthier.
If you can get hold of a pair of noise cancelling headphones, do so! The rumble of plane engines for 24 hours plus can drive one to insanity!
Seconding this! Also, small children. Small children on airplanes. Small children on long flights. Be forewarned.
I haven't had a trip that was longer than twelve hours in a while. Hopefully something I said was helpful!
Stay safe, and have a nice trip!
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #17407 on: June 19, 2017, 05:58:45 AM »
Seconding what everyone else here has already said, especially about drinking enough water - it's better to be constantly getting up to go to the bathroom than having to deal with a dehydration headache after (and yeah, I've done both).

Bring a book - a paper book, or some other form of entertainment that doesn't require recharging.

Earplugs or headphones.

Pack as if the airline is going to lose your luggage.

And, as someone else already said, power adapter.

You're also not on the moon. The joke over here is that the Earth actually has three satellites: the Moon, North Korea, and China. Australia does not count among them. ;)
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #17408 on: June 19, 2017, 08:16:47 AM »
I wonder what the mechanism is that makes me lie to my hairdresser, it is so extremely counterproductive as she is not a psychic and so can't read my mind. Not that I have one I use every time, but when the girl who cut my hair today asked if I was pleased I said 'yes, thank you' and promptly ran home to put my head under the nearest sink and undo the effect she had spent a boring 20 minutes to achieve. Whyyy.

GunmanRex

• Scout
  • My legs are OK
« Reply #17409 on: June 19, 2017, 09:36:53 AM »
I wonder what the mechanism is that makes me lie to my hairdresser, it is so extremely counterproductive as she is not a psychic and so can't read my mind. Not that I have one I use every time, but when the girl who cut my hair today asked if I was pleased I said 'yes, thank you' and promptly ran home to put my head under the nearest sink and undo the effect she had spent a boring 20 minutes to achieve. Whyyy.
Aye, that cursed need to be polite.
Native: :usa:
Steadily Studying: :ireland:
Atrophied: :france:
Future: :wales: :scotland:

:chap16::chap17::chap18:

I ramble a lot

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #17410 on: June 19, 2017, 10:19:37 AM »
it's better to be constantly getting up to go to the bathroom than having to deal with a dehydration headache after

I've never done that long a trip; but it's my impression that standing up and moving once in a while, whether or not by heading to the bathroom, is important anyway, to help prevent potentially dangerous problems in blood vessels in the legs.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17411 on: June 19, 2017, 10:47:13 AM »
True indeed, thorny. Moving lowers the chance of developing deep-vein thrombosis, as well as preventing you from stiffening so much that you can't move.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #17412 on: June 19, 2017, 11:10:49 AM »

SLEEP. I've done this before without sleeping and it was one of the worst decisions I have ever made. I know planes suck to sleep on, but for the sake of your sanity do not fight sleep. Even if it's just lying there with your eyes shut, your body will thank you for any sort of rest.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #17413 on: June 19, 2017, 12:05:43 PM »
Anybody got tips, apart from bringing your own sandwiches?
Note that customs tend to be on the lookout for some agricultural products - different ones in every nation AFAICT - that they really don't want to be imported, not even if you're going to eat them yourself. A stash of sandwiches might evaporate faster than you can get hungry again ...

Stay hydrated!
Sky-high amen to that. That has gotten rather difficult with the "no liquids" rules nowadays, though ...

If you've got a lot of connecting flights, make sure you know the time zones of each place you'll land in!
I actually once had that problem at a stopover that wasn't listed on the ticket in the first place (and, of course, was so durn modern as to have no wall clocks whatsoever). Smartphones are your friend (wait for the operator to send a NITZ if you have the time, browse the web if not, steal someone else's if that fails, too. Stealing someone's wrist watch requires prior training, though their owners tend to be slower on the pursuit).

I've never done that long a trip; but it's my impression that standing up and moving once in a while, whether or not by heading to the bathroom, is important anyway, to help prevent potentially dangerous problems in blood vessels in the legs.
If you're at all prone to that problem (I'm not, I'm a natural at impersonating a corpse), YES.

Many small problems, especially of the "food or drink ran out or were taken away" kind (or "TSA opened my luggage lock with power tools" or "I need a sleep mask 'cause they can't be bothered to turn down the lights" or ...), have one common, near-universal, potential solution: cash. Carry enough of it, outside the check-in luggage.

Have a map of the actual destination (i.e., the hotel or whatever). Make it include the last common-transport waypoint (i.e., likely airport) and the complete contact info (address, phone), in both your and the local language, if applicable. (Asking for directions by shoving a written note into someone's face works better if they can read it, too.) Be aware that Google Maps is fallible (as in, no, Google, the place where you put the marker in Chennai was not our hotel but the Russian embassy).

You will be separated even from your hand luggage at times (e.g., when that goes through the x-ray). Ponder what you cannot allow to get stolen, and put that in your pockets, lockable and/or inside ones. Make sure to be able to recognize your luggage from the opposite end of a large hall. If you travel with company, same applies to them. (Ever wondered why large funny hats are such a popular souvenir?)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #17414 on: June 20, 2017, 10:49:57 AM »

Preemptively break your femurs so you can fit comfortably in your seat.

Chewing gum is nice and also dulls the pain. Pain in general in fact.