Author Topic: Promotion Celebrations  (Read 212184 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Promotion Celebrations
« on: June 08, 2015, 05:51:55 PM »
Dear friends and Forum members in general:

I’ve decided it’s time for me to open up our celebrations of when members reach new Forum ranks.  From about last November till quite recently, promotions got celebrated when I got around to sending out invitations by PM to “gala receptions” in the Forum Lounge (which is lovely, though alas, still only virtual). 

But in true SSSS Fan-Forum style (which is all about being energetic, creative, and mutually supportive), some of you have started celebrating on your own initiative. 

Meanwhile, everyone’s post counts are growing so fast that I’m not sure I can dish out the recognitions fast enough!  So I need to stop monopolizing the job of honoring new ranks and open it up to all of you. 

But before I hand over the microphone, let me present to you a new Ranger, a Scout, and multiple new citizens.

Since Mélusine joined us two months ago, we’ve had the pleasure of watching her talents and self-confidence unfold, in General Discussion, the book threads, the Comfort Corner, and the Little Moments of Happiness thread, her gift to us. 

Our new Ranger hails from France and is an art historian and medievalist by training.  (Watch it, trolls, she knows how to make a trebuchet!)  Moreover, she is writing a novel that sounds fantastic.  (Even if the publishers don’t rush to buy the rights, she can always self-publish like the author of “The Martian” and Our Dear Creator.)  Currently, she’s helping to draw up exciting scout missions for our Self-Insert crews. 

Although Mélusine is quite shy and self-effacing, she sings and plays the medieval harp, which means she really is the Beautiful Melusina (a mermaid) that Mendelssohn wrote music for

RandomTexanReader, our new Scout, joined on April 1, which in some ways symbolizes her gift for inspired fooling.  She recently was dubbed “Forum Prophet” due to almost scary abilities to predict new developments in the comic.
Her SSSSona is also prophetic… sort of

RTR created a thread, Family Headcanons, which fills in the background of our beloved characters, e.g. Emil And the Hotakainens… and Sigrun

AND a hilarious thread all about Mikkel and the things he is not allowed to do on duty: 

She also crafted marvelous fanvideos for every major character in SSSS – even the Cattank! https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=8dbca6c160c5f025&id=8dbca6c160c5f025%21236&ithint=video,mp4&authkey=!APDB4LgrJiYbuJw

We also welcome at least five new citizens to the Forum. 

FeartheViolas hit Citizen a couple of weeks ago and I’m afraid I forgot to include her in the last promotion ceremony.  She is a West Icelander from Canada with an amazing grasp of rune magic (and beautiful calligraphy to depict it in).  She speaks multiple languages (including nearly everything from Scandinavia and the World).  Notable achievements include our new Book Club thread. 

As FTV pointed out, you know you're an SSSS addict...
When you've never been active on social media in your life and now in less than a month you have not only posted pictures of things you made but also have 100 posts on the forum.

She had a moving tribute to this Forum: 
I just wanted to say that you guys are awesome because of how maturely these kinds of discussions are handled. It amazes me because I've seen similar conversations that have gone downhill really quickly (partially why I've never joined an online community before) and here people are just really civil about it and it just makes me happy to see that. Especially when you have people communicating somewhat anonymously from all different ages and countries.
People here are helping each other out and talking about things in non-condescending respectful ways and it just gives me so much hope for humanity. So, my thanks to everyone. This is the best.

Dane Murgen is multi-lingual and a talented musician/composer.  (Here’s his theme for Icelandic magic in “SSSS: the Musical!” https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=58.msg22707#msg22707
He has one of the most interesting Self-Inserts, one of Iceland’s Filipino community. 
He’s already taken up the recruiting challenge, signing up his friend VincentTheSheep.  He also launched the Academic Help thread (from which we’ve all learned something about Finland’s Winter War)

Chizu is originally from Bulgaria, now studying psychology in the U.K., and can bring plenty of scientific background to bear on everything from cat genetics to fire suppression.
A friend of Koeshi, they’re fond of anime, potatoes, RPGs, sketching, and medieval weaponry.  Chizu also has lots of worthwhile recommendations in the book threads.  And as a tea drinker, they're a person after my own heart!

Emil joined less than 4 weeks ago – but as a friend of Haiz, it’s probably not surprising he reached Citizen so quickly.  In his own words:
I'm the stereotypical norwegian nerd, and I like cats. Maybe that's why I like this comic?
He also enjoys video games.  Emil recently got a job at an after-school-care program, so now we can picture him just like his namesake (picture courtesy of the late, lamented Miss Honeyham):

Please assemble in the Forum Lounge for a gala reception featuring sparkling cider, champagne, milk, peach juice, and the now-traditional coffee and cake.  The Ranger survival tool and shoulder braid, Scout whistle and insignia, and Citizenship certificates will also be presented.

I hope you will enjoy using this thread to observe and celebrate one anothers' milestones on the Forum.  I strongly suspect at least one more honoree is due here...

Hi, wavewright62 here! In the intervening years since Sunflower posted this, we've had far more than one more honoree on this board.  When this thread was created, we had yet to honour Fimbulvarg as our first Admiral of a Sunken Ship, and as at September 2017 we have yet to have anyone breach 5000 posts for the next level, although there are a few who may get there before the end of the year.  In honour of the third anniversary of the Forum, I have compiled a
list of Rulers of Derelict Airports, Admirals of Sunken Ships, and Conquerors of Abandoned Cities
and the domains these worthy folk have claimed as their own.

Herewith - generally in date order of awarding of the airport
Sunflower - Airport awarded pre-June 2015 - Moffett Field, CA, USA
 - Ship awarded 29 July 2015 - USS Arizona
Eik (Eich) - Airport awarded pre-June 2015 - Kennedy Space Center, FL, USA
Fimbulvarg - Airport awarded pre-June 2015 - Charles de Gaulle Airport, Paris, France
 - Ship awarded 21 July 2015 - {never divulged}
Haiz - Airport awarded pre-June 2015 - Værnes (aka Hel) Airport, Norway
 - Ship awarded 30 August 2015 - Nordkapp
JoB - Airport awarded pre-June 2015 - Berlin-Brandenburg, Germany
 - Ship announced 27 August 2017 - Lupos 12
Piney - Airport awarded pre-June 2015 - LaGuardia Airport, NY, USA
 - Ship awarded 30 August 2015 - Lightship Finngrundet
Origami Owl - Airport awarded pre-June 2015 - Hobart Airport, TAS, Australia
Solovei - Airport awarded pre-June 2015 - {not known, but possibly Keflarvik}
Nimphy - Airport awarded pre-June 2015 - {not known, but possibly Keflarvik}
*****Fimbulvarg mentioned that someone had claimed Keflarvik, but these are the only two possibilities left
kjeks - Airport awarded 19 June 2015 - Kassel-Calden, Germany
Laufey - Airport awarded 29 June 2015 - Helsinki-Vantaa, Finland
 - Ship awarded 20 February 2016 - Ormen Lange
Mélusine - Airport awarded 15 July 2015 - Berlin Templehof (an abandoned building)
 - Ship awarded 20 November 2015 - {none chosen}("It's a ship AND under water, no way ! *Shivers*")
 - City conquered 4 February 2018 - Nantes, France
Feartheviolas - Airport awarded 19 July 2015 - YYZ Toronto Airport, Canada
 - Ship awarded 17 October 2015 - Grande Hermine
 - City conquered 9 November 2020 - Ottawa, Canada
Curry - Airport awarded 10 August 2015 - Orlando International Airport, FL, USA
Ana Nymus - Airport awarded 4 October 2015 - Logan International, Boston, MA, USA
 - Ship awarded 2 September 2016 - Serenity
Noodly (Appendage) - Airport awarded 25 October 2015 - Seattle-Tacoma Airport, WA, USA
Daéa Reina - Airport awarded 11 November 2015 - Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
starfallz - Airport awarded 21 November 2015 - Lexington Bluegrass Airport, KY, USA
Róisín - Airport awarded 19 January 2016 - Giles, WA, Australia
 - Ship awarded 31 July 2016 - Mahogany Ship
 - City conquered 4 February 2018 - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
 - Pronounced on 11 September 2021 The Elder of the realm encompassing the Barossa area in SA and state of Victoria, Australia
urbicande - Airport awarded 20 January 2016 - Republic Airport, Long Island, NY, USA
 - Ship awarded 10 August 2016 - USS Thresher
Yuuago - Airport awarded 20 January 2016 - Victoria Airport, Vancouver, Canada
 - Ship awarded 7 November 2016 - HMS Terror
Athena - Airport awarded 5 May 2016 - Avinor, Svalbard
 - Ship awarded 2 October 2017 - Aurora (crashed airship from book "Airborn" by Kenneth Oppel)
Krisse Kovacs (Martti) - Airport awarded 17 May 2016 - {never chosen}
Lazy8 - Airport awarded 11 July 2016 - Rochester Airport, NY, USA
 - Ship awarded 24 August 2017 - Cassini (spaceship)
Kiraly - Airport awarded 21 July 2016 - Seymour Airport, Galápagos, Ecuador
Ragnarok - Airport awarded 21 July 2016 - Charlotte-Douglass International, NC, USA
 - Ship awarded 28 September 2018 - Golden Hind (Sir Francis Drake's ship)
Unlos - Airport awarded 6 August 2016 - Gardermoen, Oslo, Norway
AquaAurion - Airport awarded 8 August 2016 - Linköping City Airport
Purple Wyrm - Airport awarded 15 October 2016 - Caversham Airfield, WA, Australia
Solokov - Airport awarded 4 November 2016 - White Sands Missile Base, NM, USA
 - Ship awarded 13 April 2019 - Occurrence Border (aka "Event Horizon")
P___ - Airport awarded 20 November 2016 - Orly, Paris, France
OwlsG0 - Airport awarded 20 August 2017 - {choice pending}
wavewright62 - Airport awarded 1 September 2017 - Queenstown Airport, New Zealand
 - Ship awarded 20 March 2019 - Rainbow Warrior (I)
Gwenno - Airport awarded 8 September 2017 - Narita Airport, Japan
Antillanka - Airport awarded 12 February 2018 - Aeropuerto El Loa (Calama, Chile)
JacobThomsen - Airport awarded 20 April 2018 -  Aarhus Airport, Denmark
Iceea - Airport awarded 28 April 2018 - Chippewa County International Airport, MI, USA
 - Traveller on the Birds Path as of 14 February 2019
Windfighter - Airport awarded 6 October 2018 - Sturup (Malmö) Airport, Sweden
LooNEY_DAC - Airport awarded 3 November 2018 - Los Alamitos Army Airfield, CA, USA
Kitty - Airport awarded 20 May 2019 - Brač Airport, Croatia
thorny - Airport awarded 20 February 2020 - Penn Yan Airport, NY, USA
corncobman - Airport awarded 31 March 2020 - {choice pending}
Jitter - Airport awarded 10 October 2020 - Joensuu Airport, Finland
- Ship awarded on 1 February 2022 - S/S Kuru
Sc0ut - Airport awarded 31 March 2021 - Buyant-Ukhaa International Airport, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
thegreyarea - Airport awarded 12 July 2021 - Cabo Ruivo seaplane airport (historic), Lisbon, Portugal
Yastreb - Airport awarded 2 January 2023 - Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport, Brazil
dmeck7755 - Airport awarded 5 May 2023 - Marlboro Airport, Marlborough, MA, USA
Keep Looking - Airport awarded 2 September 2023 - Changi Airport, Singapore

« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 06:02:49 AM by wavewright62 »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: Promotion Celebrations
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 06:37:40 PM »
Since Mélusine joined us two months ago, we’ve had the pleasure of watching her talents and self-confidence unfold, in General Discussion, the book threads, the Comfort Corner, and the Little Moments of Happiness thread, her gift to us. 

Our new Ranger hails from France and is an art historian and medievalist by training.  (Watch it, trolls, she knows how to make a trebuchet!)  Moreover, she is writing a novel that sounds fantastic.  (Even if the publishers don’t rush to buy the rights, she can always self-publish like the author of “The Martian” and Our Dear Creator.)  Currently, she’s helping to draw up exciting scout missions for our Self-Insert crews. 

Although Mélusine is quite shy and self-effacing, she sings and plays the medieval harp, which means she really is the Beautiful Melusina (a mermaid) that Mendelssohn wrote music for.
*Blushes and blushes more* Awwwwww, Sunflower, you're really talented to find the good words for everyone and you're everywhere, it's impressive ! (But unfortunately I don't have played harp since too many years now. One day, maybe, I hope I'll have my own with enough time and money to really learn because it was marvelous to play.) Thank to be so friendly :) *Hug* (You deserve more hugs. I hope you're ok with hugs ^^°)
*Comes with tea and biscuits one more time* Congratulations, RandomTexanReader, Feartheviolas, Rabbit, Dane Murgen, Chizu and Emil !
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 06:49:06 PM »

It's eerie how accurate this picture is!

Congrats everyone!

AuthorOfLight

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • i am just a littol creachur
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 07:05:04 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of people who have been promoted recently! Congratulations, everyone. :)
fluent - :usa:
decentish - :mexico:
starting to learn - :finland: :japan:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 07:53:40 PM »
So many people to congratulate!! Congrats, y'all! *throws confetti*

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 08:09:03 PM »
So many people to congratulate!! Congrats, y'all! *throws confetti*

*þ and ð shaped confetti* ;)

And thank you! You guys have made me feel very special to be a part of this community. I am so glad I finally decided to poke my nose into the internet, and I couldn't have picked a better corner.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 10:54:02 AM »
*þ and ð shaped confetti* ;)
[sneaks in cheap counterfeit "ß" confetti]
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 11:12:58 AM »
Yay to our newly promoted!! *brings out cups of coffee and tea*
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 11:14:38 AM »
congratz, everyone! :)

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 02:29:44 PM »
Congratulations, everyone!! \o\
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

koalalou

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 01:12:36 PM »
Woohoo! I'm a Scout, now! 8D

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

Mélusine

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 01:22:45 PM »
Woohoo! I'm a Scout, now! 8D
Congratulations ! :D *Wait for Feartheviolas's confettis and bring back biscuits and tea*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 01:32:37 PM »
*more þ and ð shaped confetti*
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

koalalou

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 01:35:48 PM »
Yay!
All the best parties have confetti biscuits and tea~

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

AuthorOfLight

• Safe-Zone Citizen