Author Topic: WordNerding  (Read 31945 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: WordNerding
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 07:10:25 AM »
Too much words ! ^^ On the edges of my classes, even in university, I can find some "crépusculaire", "livide", "incandescent", "s'étioler", "diaphane", "enchevêtré", "ombrageux". I still do that and always wonder later "Why have I done it ? It must have a reason, but which ?" (I was probably thinking it was exactly the word I needed for a story in a writing process...)
Maybe I can chose "réminiscence", which is nearly the same in english :) I find it beautifuler than "memory".
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 08:41:29 AM »
Oh, so many beautiful words! How could I choose one over the other?  ;)

For example do you know the longest german word?
"Donaudampfschifffahrtskapitänsmütze"!
(okay, it is a composite word, but I really like how German allows to make up your own words in simply glueing them together: Donaudampfschifffahrtskapitänsmützenständer... Donaudampfschiffahrtskapitänsmützenständerverordnung...Donaudampfschifffahrtskapitänsmützenständerverordnungsmappe... okay, I stop now).
One of my favourite words in english is "obnoxious" just for the sound of it.
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 08:45:18 AM »
Words are the best.

In fact, I keep a list of words that I like or sound pretty to me, because I'm weird like that. Here are some:

skirr (essentially means "skitter" + "whirr," which are both lovely words on their own)
forlorn
myriads
essorant (soaring, or a bird with outspread wings in heraldry)
phantasmagoria (a shifting or strange collection/ sequence of things)
epiphany
murklins (in the dark)

And for something to call my list(s), collectanea or miscellanea.

One of my favorite English words to baffle people with is "monopsony."  It's the mirror-image of "monopoly."  In a monopoly, one supplier controls the market for something, holding all the buyers hostage. 

In a monopsony, one *buyer* controls the market, holding all the *suppliers* hostage.  I'm not sure there are pure monopsonies in the U.S. (at least where the gov't isn't involved, e.g. buying nuclear bombers).  However, Wal-Mart is at least a partial monopsony; it's a VERY powerful buyer, so all its suppliers (Colgate-Palmolive, etc.) jump when it snaps its fingers.
*cackles maniacally* I knew what that was! Thank you microeconomics class that I otherwise would've probably not used much.

For example do you know the longest german word?
"Donaudampfschifffahrtskapitänsmütze"!
(okay, it is a composite word, but I really like how German allows to make up your own words in simply glueing them together: Donaudampfschifffahrtskapitänsmützenständer...
I also really like what that means... :D

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 10:41:01 AM »
As I am learning toefl-vocab from time to time I came to like the sounds of the following:

to aggrandize
to amalgamate
jaunty

And for words sounding interesting it is:
squishy
no, don't ask, i am just fond of the sound: [sk???i] feeeeel all the fricatives
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 11:42:42 AM »
From the top of my head:

From Norwegian: Rabagast, taskenspiller, fandenivoldsk, Supperåd

English: Unflappable, Coy, Bellicose, Volatile, Suave, Rowdy, Fishy, Perilous

Also, this probably belongs on the Language Board.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:59:45 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 12:42:06 PM »
Oh, well, let's see...
Laufey's "Brouhaha" reminded me of Harrumph.  My dog harrumphs whenever he sits down 'cause he's a chunky guy. 
There's also Cloyingly, Indefatigable, Incoagulable (spell check doesn't know it, but it's real, I promise >_>), and Gibbon.
Feel free to PM.

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 01:16:53 PM »
I really like how German allows to make up your own words in simply glueing them together: Donaudampfschifffahrtskapitänsmützenständer...

Same with Finnish. As far as I know our longest official word is lentokonesuihkuturbiinimottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas.
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 01:42:41 PM »
Favourite swear word- Nincompoop!

Does that count as a swear word? :)
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 02:14:16 PM »
Too much words ! ^^ On the edges of my classes, even in university, I can find some "crépusculaire", "livide", "incandescent", "s'étioler", "diaphane", "enchevêtré", "ombrageux". I still do that and always wonder later "Why have I done it ? It must have a reason, but which ?" ...
Maybe I can chose "réminiscence", which is nearly the same in english :) I find it beautifuler than "memory".

Those words are lovely, both in meaning and sound.  Most of them exist in English too:  "crepuscular" means relating to twilight (in particular, animals that are active at dawn and dusk), livid, incandescent, etiolated (thin and wan, often from illness), diaphanous...
What do these mean?  "enchevêtré", "ombrageux".  I'm guessing the last one probably means "shadowy," by analogy with Latin "umbra" = "shadow."

Here's another word whose sound and meaning I like, AND which comes from French:
"Chatoyant" means "shimmering or iridescent, like the cat's eye (beryl) stone."  It derives from the French word "chat" = cat.  "Chatoyancy" is the noun. 

ALSO:
With my skaldic powers, I can move this thread to the Language Board if you like.  Either weigh in here or PM me with your opinions.  I won't move it unless I get a significant number of requests, I promise.   :)

"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 02:30:10 PM »
An anoint anonymous anomaly anemone.
…Voltron?

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 02:36:27 PM »
Much aha, as the auto correct says. No I meant muahaha. So jauntily pugnacious. Pugnacious is a great word. We call our cat, Perse, the pugnacious Panther, even though she is about as far from pugnacious as you can get.
…Voltron?

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 02:43:27 PM »
You can move it if you want, it is up to everyone else if they want to, I don't mind. Also, as some of you may know, I am not a tech whizz. So, if someone could explain to me how to quote just part of someone's post, that would be great. How is it skaldic powers?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:46:06 PM by Willowham »
…Voltron?

Fenris

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »
Høgg. Norwegian word (possibly dialect) which is used for something smelling or tasting really bad. 'Det smaker/lukter høgg' = 'It tastes/smells really bad'.

Mélusine

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2015, 03:13:30 PM »
What do these mean?  "enchevêtré", "ombrageux".  I'm guessing the last one probably means "shadowy," by analogy with Latin "umbra" = "shadow."
Let me find my french-english dictionary and I will come back to explain ^^°
(But if I write all the worlds I like, this thread will grow too much.)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Mélusine

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2015, 03:39:38 PM »
So, "enchevêtré" is "tangled" in english. I see it like a lot of wood put together and mixed. Lot of nodes.
"Ombrageux" will be used for speaking of someone who is easily offended. It's a difficult word to say in an everyday conversation :) But it could be a good beginning to a collection of worlds-which-are-difficult-but-beautiful with some others used by my history of arts teachers ^^