Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 842903 times)

Rosepieces

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #2895 on: July 03, 2015, 08:04:48 PM »
cut to Mad Max: Fury Road

I don't think the military has a "chrome spray paint" budget.

princeofdoom

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: he or they
« Reply #2896 on: July 03, 2015, 08:07:26 PM »
i feel like i haven't talked here in forever. also i'm not done with this story-lette but i feel like i won't be for a while (due to work as well as writer's block and such). So I want to post what I have of the short story i promised Piney as an art trade.

In fact, if it inspires anyone, I'd be happy for them to continue it. Especially if they have a really good/creepy idea for jackal beast.

Spoiler: show
For Piney:

A beast had been spotted near where the cleansers were currently working. It was probably a jackal, smallish but sneaky and in the beast form, aggressive. Several scouts were assigned to keep watch and help take it down, if need be, since setting the environment on fire wasn't likely to kill it outright. Ilmari ended up being one of the people sent on this mission. He didn't know why. He was a night scout, and even if they needed to dig into those ranks, most of the cleansers here were Swedish, and he didn't speak the language well enough to be useful in that way. He just figured he'd keep watch of someone specifically if it came down to not knowing what else to do.
   He was put with a group of cleansers and he really didn't know any of them. He was pretty sure he hadn't seen any of them before. Many of them talked among themselves, while he sat on the far end of the transport, quiet but alert.
   One of the younger cleansers seemed very nervous.

Once they got on site, someone figured out that Ilmari could speak some Norwegian, and things started going more smoothly. He did end up following the nervous girl, though they found a good perch for him to watch from and cover the rest of the squad as well.
   He wasn't too sure what he was watching for, just that it was a smallish, quick creature called a jackal. It was supposed to look a little like a bigger fox. He wondered why it was called a jackal then, instead of just “a big fox”, but he was sure he would never get a straight answer. So for most of the morning he sat in his perch, scanning the edges of where his team was working. Intermittently, he checked on Nervous Girl.

Nervous Girl turned out to … well she wasn't BAD at her job, Ilmari noted, she just didn't seem to be good at it, or really very interested. Not that he would have known what to do in her situation either. She started fires in some undergrowth after someone else had clear a small area around the spot to be burned. You knew that the stuff that was cleared would be burned as well, later. It was mainly making sure the fire didn't spread from the containment area. Or if it did, it would still be safe to escape.
Native :usa:
Rusty (and other issues) :japan: :france:
Learning :russia:
Starting :finland:

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2897 on: July 03, 2015, 08:42:39 PM »
i feel like i haven't talked here in forever. also i'm not done with this story-lette but i feel like i won't be for a while (due to work as well as writer's block and such). So I want to post what I have of the short story i promised Piney as an art trade.

In fact, if it inspires anyone, I'd be happy for them to continue it. Especially if they have a really good/creepy idea for jackal beast.

For Piney:

A beast had been spotted near where the cleansers were currently working. It was probably a jackal, smallish but sneaky and in the beast form, aggressive. Several scouts were assigned to keep watch and help take it down, if need be, since setting the environment on fire wasn't likely to kill it outright. Ilmari ended up being one of the people sent on this mission. He didn't know why. He was a night scout, and even if they needed to dig into those ranks, most of the cleansers here were Swedish, and he didn't speak the language well enough to be useful in that way. He just figured he'd keep watch of someone specifically if it came down to not knowing what else to do.
   He was put with a group of cleansers and he really didn't know any of them. He was pretty sure he hadn't seen any of them before. Many of them talked among themselves, while he sat on the far end of the transport, quiet but alert.

Once they got on site, someone figured out that Ilmari could speak some Norwegian, and things started going more smoothly. He did end up following the nervous girl, though they found a good perch for him to watch from and cover the rest of the squad as well.
   He wasn't too sure what he was watching for, just that it was a smallish, quick creature called a jackal. It was supposed to look a little like a bigger fox. He wondered why it was called a jackal then, instead of just “a big fox”, but he was sure he would never get a straight answer. So for most of the morning he sat in his perch, scanning the edges of where his team was working. Intermittently, he checked on Nervous Girl.

Nervous Girl turned out to … well she wasn't BAD at her job, Ilmari noted, she just didn't seem to be good at it, or really very interested. Not that he would have known what to do in her situation either. She started fires in some undergrowth after someone else had clear a small area around the spot to be burned. You knew that the stuff that was cleared would be burned as well, later. It was mainly making sure the fire didn't spread from the containment area. Or if it did, it would still be safe to escape.

Ohh, I'm intrigued. Except minor correction: I wouldn't say Clara's uninterested or that bad at her job, but scared and probably hesitant.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

princeofdoom

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: he or they
« Reply #2898 on: July 03, 2015, 09:03:42 PM »
Ohh, I'm intrigued. Except minor correction: I wouldn't say Clara's uninterested or that bad at her job, but scared and probably hesitant.

Ok, well it was an assessment through Ilmari's eyes, and since i'm bad at figuring out why people do things, i'd figure my ssssona would be too. so mistaking hesitance for disinterest maybe? it is kinda hard to show certain character traits in short works, especially if it's of the POV character.

Glad you found it interesting tho! maybe i can really finish after this 4th of July thing i'm helping with.
Native :usa:
Rusty (and other issues) :japan: :france:
Learning :russia:
Starting :finland:

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2899 on: July 04, 2015, 06:00:42 AM »

For Piney:

Neat! Just.. no there's no jackals in Scandinavia. Would wolf be ok instead?

Hahaha, yeah, okay, no big deal, play it cool, don't freak, don't freak-*screams* *flails* *continues screaming*
THIS IS SO COOL. I LOVE IT SO MUCH thank you thank you thank you, it's PERFECT!
Wow, thank you!

Sketch of the day:

*EDIT*: Jón Llewelynson AKA ParanormalAndroid
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 06:04:53 AM by Unlos »

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2900 on: July 04, 2015, 06:05:58 AM »
"Karri, I'm considering weaponizing the truck"
"yELL HEAH"

cut to Mad Max: Fury Road

*Dries single tear* that's my First Officer right there!

Step 1: Kidnapping Eich from Group 3. They need to attach a bard to our war rig to herald our coming as they ride into battle.

Witness us other teams! Witness uuuuuus!!

I don't think the military has a "chrome spray paint" budget.

They are counting on a severe lack of fiscal oversight from the higher ups.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 06:09:47 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #2901 on: July 04, 2015, 06:36:51 AM »
*Dries single tear* that's my First Officer right there!

Step 1: Kidnapping Eich from Group 3. They need to attach a bard to our war rig to herald our coming as they ride into battle.

Witness us other teams! Witness uuuuuus!!
he's in group 4, actually. I'm... I'm getting slightly worried about the effect that movie had on you, but that feeling is more than slightly overshadowed by a massive HECK YES WE SHALL DIE HISTORIC ON FURY ROAD i mean you are. i'm in group 3 i'm safe

......as long as nobody uses me as a mace again, that is
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2902 on: July 04, 2015, 06:43:25 AM »
he's in group 4, actually. I'm... I'm getting slightly worried about the effect that movie had on you, but that feeling is more than slightly overshadowed by a massive HECK YES WE SHALL DIE HISTORIC ON FURY ROAD i mean you are. i'm in group 3 i'm safe

I'm easily influenced.

Don't worry about it - though they spout an average of a thousand crazy ideas a day team two are actually consummate professionals and not at all suicidal (although the war-boys mannerisms seems kind of appropriate for the group).

And no offence, but I don't think you'd make a very good mace.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 07:05:39 AM by Fimbulvarg »

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #2903 on: July 04, 2015, 08:49:13 AM »

Don't worry about it - though they spout an average of a thousand crazy ideas a day team two are actually consummate professionals and not at all suicidal.

Famous last words right there :P
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #2904 on: July 04, 2015, 10:33:22 AM »
HECK YES WE SHALL DIE HISTORIC ON FURY ROAD i mean you are.

Well doesn't this picture kind of fit the mood here now... captain Fimbulvarg in trouble. Or maybe the giant is in trouble, with Fim you can't always tell.

This is the other picture that was mentioned in the tarot thread a while ago. I put some black blocks on the open fractures just to be on the safe side but a non-censored version can be seen here (a warning for gore).
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

« Reply #2905 on: July 04, 2015, 10:40:55 AM »

Well doesn't this picture kind of fit the mood here now... captain Fimbulvarg in trouble. Or maybe the giant is in trouble, with Fim you can't always tell.

This is the other picture that was mentioned in the tarot thread a while ago. I put some black blocks on the open fractures just to be on the safe side but a non-censored version can be seen here (a warning for gore).
Mmmh. The giant may be more in trouble than Fim, because the giant might think about an easy victory now *Coughs* I believe in captain Fimbulvarg to find a solution. Not the safest, but a solution. ::)
Did I told you before your watercolors were fabulous, Laufey ? :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #2906 on: July 04, 2015, 10:42:22 AM »
And no offence, but I don't think you'd make a very good mace.
NONE TAKEN

YOOOOOoooooooooooo
the colours
the... ahem, fluids floating into eachother
the borders of a giant closing in.....
actual watercolor deity laufey strikes again

and as promised, a TRADEY PIECE OF ART! It's Feartheviolas' Sóley and her demon kitties ^__^

I'm doing the trades a bit out of order - based on who has already done their part, and a bit of going there where inspiration strikes. I'm assuming you're all okay with that^^"
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 11:15:53 AM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #2907 on: July 04, 2015, 10:43:09 AM »

Ooof, that looks painful! Fantastic piece of art though!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Mélusine

« Reply #2908 on: July 04, 2015, 10:44:56 AM »
and as promised, a TRADEY PIECE OF ART! It's Feartheviolas' Sóley and her demon kitties ^__^

I'm doing the trades a bit out of order - based on who has already done their part, and a bit of going there where inspiration strikes. I'm assuming you're all okay with that^^"
*Fascinated by the rune*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #2909 on: July 04, 2015, 10:58:52 AM »

Oohhh I like it. I like it a lot. More terrifyingly beautiful from Laufey. You do terrifyingly beautiful quite well I must say. :D
I also really like the blues that you have there and the light that is shining in. (btw, standing by what I said earlier, I still think you're ok with the gore going by the dog picture :) )

AAAAHHHH YAY!!! I love it!!! :D :D So wonderful! I like how the kitties look, very nice. And that is a really cool rune I agree. I wonder what it does...
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help