Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 842251 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #1710 on: May 30, 2015, 11:21:39 AM »
Thanks to everybody who complimented the dream outfit! I'm glad the design is actually cool B) I've gone through some pretty poor character design stages, ahaha
Thank you! and yes, the warmth could be a problem, but...

"I have all the warmth of the cosmos to keep me toasty."
"Karri, the cosmos are really cold."
"....I have all the warmth of the cosmos-"

Well, technically Karri is almost right considering that space has no mass through which heat ca.... Anyways, let positive thinking be your coat swagmage!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:44:27 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1711 on: May 30, 2015, 12:19:56 PM »
That's so cool Curry! :0
And of course, you have all the warmth of the coldest place in the universe (?)
*whips out nerd hat*
Well, actually, a big problem with space (at least the part we've been in) is that it's *simultaneously* too hot and too cold. It'll instantly freeze-dry anything you put in it, but heat is actually a bigger problem for spacecraft designers. Basically, if you don't cover it in reflective foil and/or something white and/or something that won't conduct heat through whatever bits of it are touching the craft, a spacecraft will absorb so much heat from the unimpeded rays of the sun that it will become uninhabitable and possibly fry the electronics or other components. And none of that heat can radiate off into the outside air because, well, there *is* none. So, for example, when the heat shield on Skylab (the American precursor to the International Space Station) tore off during launch, the first crew had to put up a foil parasol to keep the plastic insulation inside the station from melting (which would make a whole bunch of icky poisonous gases) and also to keep themselves from getting broiled.

Tl;dr: Space is cold, but things you put in space get really hot, really fast if they're anywhere near a star.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #1712 on: May 30, 2015, 12:31:29 PM »
*whips out nerd hat*
Well, actually, a big problem with space (at least the part we've been in) is that it's *simultaneously* too hot and too cold. It'll instantly freeze-dry anything you put in it, but heat is actually a bigger problem for spacecraft designers. Basically, if you don't cover it in reflective foil and/or something white and/or something that won't conduct heat through whatever bits of it are touching the craft, a spacecraft will absorb so much heat from the unimpeded rays of the sun that it will become uninhabitable and possibly fry the electronics or other components. And none of that heat can radiate off into the outside air because, well, there *is* none. So, for example, when the heat shield on Skylab (the American precursor to the International Space Station) tore off during launch, the first crew had to put up a foil parasol to keep the plastic insulation inside the station from melting (which would make a whole bunch of icky poisonous gases) and also to keep themselves from getting broiled.

Tl;dr: Space is cold, but things you put in space get really hot, really fast if they're anywhere near a star.

...so the space is hot and cold at the same time? //It's really lost//
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1713 on: May 30, 2015, 12:35:23 PM »
Thanks to everybody who complimented the dream outfit! I'm glad the design is actually cool B) I've gone through some pretty poor character design stages, ahaha
Thank you! and yes, the warmth could be a problem, but...

"I have all the warmth of the cosmos to keep me toasty."
"Karri, the cosmos are really cold."
"....I have all the warmth of the cosmos-"
Agreeing with the others; this is really neat :D

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #1714 on: May 30, 2015, 12:45:12 PM »
Yep! Well, space itself is almost literally as cold as it is possible to be, but the radiation from stars will make anything you put near them far too hot.
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #1715 on: May 30, 2015, 12:46:58 PM »
Well, technically Karri is almost right considering that space has no mass through which heat ca.... Anyways, let positive thinking be your coat swagmage!

*whips out nerd hat*
[A BUNCH OF MY FAVORITE TYPE OF SCIENCE]

See, Karri kind of knows what they're talking about... SCIENCE

And RedCloud, (time for ridiculous oversimplification) most of space is very, very cold, but the particles are spread very far apart, so if something's really hot (like a star), there's not much to spread the heat around and chill it out. Summary, it all depends on where you are!
YEET

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #1716 on: May 30, 2015, 12:48:24 PM »
Omg so much science @ A@

Edit: hey, so looking at everyone's gorgeous dream-mage-self-things kinda really makes me want to come up with something for my dream-world/dream-outfit...should I? I mean, I know my SSSS-sona is a Scout, but I have mentioned that she has just a bit of mage-y-ness (still not enough to be counted as an actual Mage, but perhaps enough to slip into the dream-world sometimes? Perhaps more if she'd had training? but still not enough to do more than detect stuff, no actual magic usage--just wanna make that clear) so, yeah...should I try to design something? It might not be as pretty as everyone else's, but the idea seems pretty fun...and awesome...and stuff...yeah, babbling, gonna stop now sorry
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:18:01 PM by koalalou »

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #1717 on: May 30, 2015, 01:21:43 PM »

Drew this before my tabket broke (probably f***d up the colors but whatever.)
I was planing to draw them all in digital but ye...
luck. =-=
I love everything!
and with the flooding, summer, and no freaking time for internet..I've been drawing a lot. All the new arts are great!
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #1718 on: May 30, 2015, 03:52:48 PM »
And none of that heat can radiate off into the outside air because, well, there *is* none.
Actually radiation is the kind of getting rid of heat that does work in vacuum, while convection and thermal conductivity fall flat on their faces.

To be precise, it is simultaneously cold and good at keeping stuff thermally insulated. Hence, as soon as there's something heating your spacecraft up - from solar irradiation to the spacecraft's own systems running -, your problem will cease to be "it's pretty cold out here" and start to be "how can we get rid of the excess heat?" really fast.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #1719 on: May 30, 2015, 05:22:36 PM »
Actually radiation is the kind of getting rid of heat that does work in vacuum, while convection and thermal conductivity fall flat on their faces.
Er, yes, sorry, thank you for clarifying. :P *is embarrassed by failure in semantics*

KauniitaUnia

• Scout
  • boldly going nowhere
« Reply #1720 on: May 30, 2015, 05:54:56 PM »

...ok I'll just show myself out
Fluent - :uk:
Learning - :sweden: :france:
Would love to learn - :finland:
Survived - :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9::chap10:

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1721 on: May 30, 2015, 05:58:31 PM »
Gwenno: I really like all the action going on! :D
Rule of thumb, if you have an opportunity to draw Karri surrounded by burning buildings and fireworks you damn well take it :P It was very fun to draw!
ack, this post is long enough as is: Curry, koalalou and Gwenno: those are some really good arts you've got there!!! Love Karri's star cape and FLOMF HAIR. Love what you did with Alexis' skirt. The fireworks and building climbing reminds me of Mulan, for some reason. Which is a good thing because I love mulan
Heheh, Mulan is one of my favourites as well (definitely my most watched disney movie if nothing else!) so maybe it was subconsciously derived from that  :o Actually, now you're making me want to watch Mulan again…..*excuse me while I pretend to be 7 years old for a little while*
This is SO CUTE!!! *squirrels away to treasure trove* Also, the fireworks detail is really cool and now that HAS to be a thing that happens!
During a Very Serious Mission:
"Karri, why is that fire pink"
"I dunno. Magic."
"Karri, why is the fire pink."
"..."
"Karri-"
"Okay fine I was testing out prototypes for fireworks. Don't judge me. Maybe it'll confuse the trolls LEAVE ME ALONE"

...ahahaha, it's official. Flamethrowers seem to be the bane of everybody's existence, but it looks great without it!! Thank you so much! I actually started doing the final sketch yesterday for yours, so it will be here... soooooon ;)
I'm really glad you liked it ^_^ There were so many cool things I could have done but I just loved the fireworks idea too much to let it go
Confused troll 1: hEy thER's SOmEtHinG WEiRd abOuT tHis FirE
Troll 2: GOsHdaRNIt, stOp sTaRIng anD gEt AwaY, it'S tHOsE blAstEd EXploSions pEoPLe agAIn
Confused troll 1: bUT bARrY LoOk, iT'S aLl piNK aNd GreEn ANd pRetTy…*stares at sparkly beauty*
Troll 2: Gaaaargh, stOP bEiNg stUPid anD… You kNOw, NeVEr mInD, yoU'rE WoRSe thAn a mOTh, I'm oUta HErE
Confused troll 1: JuSt sO preEeETy….

I'm really excited to see what yours turns out like as well. It will probably be awesome - just a hunch :P
Also your design for the swagmage outfit is super cool ^_^ The grosslings would probably be way too distracted by it to do any damage, which was probably the plan all along!

koalalou - Your sketches are really full of energy but damn, blorptroll is so needy, screaming all the time in the hope that people will notice and draw it. I feel it would make a good alarm clock, except for it probably wouldn't shut up the whole night so maybe not actually…..

Almond Goddess - Regardless of your tendency to pun that's a damn fine picture of Laufey. My personal interpretation is "wHerE HaS My gLOrIous FeZz goNe?!?"

RealRedCloudYT - Art style development - nice ^_^ I actually like the eyes very much, and the lineart is very tidy

Science Talk Eugh, universe you're feeling mighty funny today aren't you…. True story, someone threw an astrophysicist at me today and I ended up dislocating my shoulder. I come home and see all this on the thread well….
Okay, it's kinda funny actually, but I'm still miffed at the greater powers for leaving me with only one fully working arm for the next few days  >:(
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #1722 on: May 30, 2015, 06:04:17 PM »
RealRedCloudYT - Art style development - nice ^_^ I actually like the eyes very much, and the lineart is very tidy

Hehe thanks~
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #1723 on: May 30, 2015, 06:16:59 PM »

...ok I'll just show myself out
Perf
So perf

koalalou - Your sketches are really full of energy but damn, blorptroll is so needy, screaming all the time in the hope that people will notice and draw it. I feel it would make a good alarm clock, except for it probably wouldn't shut up the whole night so maybe not actually…..

Thanks! I forgot to mention this previously, but I really enjoyed the detail of the bricks in your painting. I wish I could manage little details like that--my paintings would be so much nicer if I could TT vTT
Yeah, I was so hungry Blorptroll was basically doing my entire inner dialogue as I waited for my sushi xD
But oh jeeze
BlorpAlarm
I'd end up throwing it out a window xD

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #1724 on: May 30, 2015, 06:19:12 PM »
Science Talk Eugh, universe you're feeling mighty funny today aren't you…. True story, someone threw an astrophysicist at me today and I ended up dislocating my shoulder. I come home and see all this on the thread well….
Okay, it's kinda funny actually, but I'm still miffed at the greater powers for leaving me with only one fully working arm for the next few days  >:(
Do we need to hear this story? ;)