Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 843449 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #1485 on: May 17, 2015, 01:56:59 PM »
With a cacophonous accordion symphony presumably.

I protest this. A fast jenkka is just as good.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #1486 on: May 17, 2015, 01:59:38 PM »
It's not criticism, I think it's very appropriate  ;) I don't see anything wrong proportions-vice.
*squints at mirror* i am my own worst critic but also my biggest admirer so it adds up
of course it's appropriate, you people are tall
you'll know where to find me.

KauniitaUnia

• Scout
  • boldly going nowhere
« Reply #1487 on: May 17, 2015, 02:08:57 PM »
Hey guys! This is kind of inspired by Haiz's project to draw a group picture of all the Norwegian characters. Would you guys be up for doing a collaboration piece? Basically everyone contributes by drawing their respective characters, then a person compiles them together into a single picture, complete with fancy background and everything. I want to get a headcount of interested parties before I get too excited about this, haha.

I would love to take part in this! I would quite like to now the time frame for it though, seeing as I'm unsure of my abilities to draw anything at all right now due to art block and that fact that all my muscles are complaining. I just completed the bronze duke of edinburgh award hike - if you haven't heard of it before, it basically involves a lot of walking, carrying a massive pack, which inevitably ends in pain.. Is it okay if the art is done traditionally and then scanned? My tablet has been broken for a while now :/

Anyway, gratulerer med dagen to all the Norwegians celebrating today! I'm loving all the art that has been posted recently  :)
Fluent - :uk:
Learning - :sweden: :france:
Would love to learn - :finland:
Survived - :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9::chap10:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1488 on: May 17, 2015, 02:20:50 PM »
Also, I'm slightly more free now, so if anyone feels like art trades let me know ^_^
I wish I was good at drawing.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1489 on: May 17, 2015, 03:17:23 PM »
THANK YOU, so are you apparently, this is fantastic!!!! I love the colouring and I understand completely why you'd avoid drawing legs, ha...
Putting me on flag holding duty was definitely the right choice.
Haha, thank you ^_^ and I'm glad you sympathise on the legs front, someday I will learn to drawn them properly I'm sure!

Aaahahaaa more awesomeness happened! You two are seriously impressive drawing whole teams and I'll try my best to match that in about exactly one month. Also from a trollish point of view this pic is a total smörgåsbord waiting to happen, so many sonas hanging over the sides (or in Haiz's case a second away from falling in).  ;D
Well now I'm excited for what happens in exactly one month! Might not be a good idea to mess with this boat however, there are quite a few sonas on board with troll bashing/burning/magicking experience. It could end up with worse things than "blart", so maybe some standing still and staying silent is in order :P

Nice! It looks like we're all on our way to conquer England again in our soon to be vastly improved viking ship :D
The watercolouring looks very very good, especially considering that you've just had one day for it.
Thank you very much ^_^ I usually do one to two pictures a week at my fastest, but now I feel as though I've just been lazy this whole time and should have been drawing faster :P As for conquering England again, I'm pretty sure with our amazing crew and the slashing, stabbing doom ship, we should be finished in time to enjoy tomorrow's SSSS page from Buckinham palace  ;D

I wish I was good at drawing.
Not everyone is a drawing person, but I liked the story you created before very much! If you'd like to trade I'd be happy to draw you a sona in exchange for a story (although probably not as long as the story you created for yours, I don't think ANYTHING I could draw would be a fair trade for something like that!). Would you be happy with this?
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Almond-Goddess

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1490 on: May 17, 2015, 03:41:21 PM »
Hmm...!
I'M IN
I'm pretty much in by default
I'm in! I can draw one or two more, if some of the self-declared non-drawers wants to get in as well.
This sounds like the most best thing ever! :D

I am vain and enjoy seeing pictures of myself.  (Especially because y'all are better for improving my looks than expensive face creams containing alpha-hydroxy-acids.)  Might I humbly request...?

Sara likes long fluttery scarves and shawls and such.  She doesn't wear rings or bracelets (they clink annoyingly against typewriter keys) but brooches, necklaces, hairclips, and other twinkly things might show up.
This is a brilliant idea and I'm definitely in!  :D
Sounds like a cool idea, but whether I can participate depends on the deadline.
I would love to take part in such a projet :)
It seems I can draw just a little bit, but I would have to find a scan somewhere...
Have a great day!Sure, I'd do that, it's a brilliant idea :)
Yesssss I'll do it.
I'd like to participate!  ;D
I'm interested!!
I would definitely be interested. I was just thinking of something along those line.
*raises hand*
Sure, I'd be up for this :) Seems like there's quite a few on board already!
I'm interested! :)
I would love to take part in this! I would quite like to now the time frame for it though, seeing as I'm unsure of my abilities to draw anything at all right now due to art block and that fact that all my muscles are complaining. I just completed the bronze duke of edinburgh award hike - if you haven't heard of it before, it basically involves a lot of walking, carrying a massive pack, which inevitably ends in pain.. Is it okay if the art is done traditionally and then scanned? My tablet has been broken for a while now :/

Seventeen people already? Seems like the level of interest for this project definitely not in question, haha! I'm going to go ahead and type up a thing for it explaining the rules, participants, and deadlines. Probably going to make a new thread for it to keep things organized, so keep an eye out for a link!  I'm super excited to see what we can create together! ^_^

As a final note: Haiz and Gwenno Your group pictures look fantastic! :O
Tiffany Hayashi | dA | Tumblr

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1491 on: May 17, 2015, 03:55:44 PM »
Not everyone is a drawing person, but I liked the story you created before very much! If you'd like to trade I'd be happy to draw you a sona in exchange for a story (although probably not as long as the story you created for yours, I don't think ANYTHING I could draw would be a fair trade for something like that!). Would you be happy with this?
Is :D a sufficient answer ?
I fear I couldn't do anything before the end of the month and I'll need to know your character better to think about a story, but yes, it would be a pleasure :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #1492 on: May 17, 2015, 04:01:15 PM »
Hah! I come with not one, but two arts!

An updateded picture of whatever the heck Alexis is wearing. BTW, this isn't the picture for Almond-Goddess.

And here's this thing.

Sketch

And the finished product, made with GIMP (krita started chickening out as soon as I finished the cape.)

I spent like three hours on this and now my back hurts. Since this is my first time with digital art, I think I'll stick to traditional.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #1493 on: May 17, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
Almond-Goddess: first of all GOSH THANK YOU, and second of all yay!!!! sounds like it'll be really great!!

Also since I'm getting pretty deft at drawing everyone here (if i dare say so myself), I, too, can offer to draw other 'sonas than my own for this project ^______^
(depending entirely on deadline times and the amount of responsibilities to neglect, of course.)

I spent like three hours on this and now my back hurts. Since this is my first time with digital art, I think I'll stick to traditional.
oooh, nEAT, i really like the colours. digital art takes a bit of a time to master, don't abandon hope just yet
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 04:42:47 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1494 on: May 17, 2015, 04:27:16 PM »
Is :D a sufficient answer ?
I fear I couldn't do anything before the end of the month and I'll need to know your character better to think about a story, but yes, it would be a pleasure :)

Haha superb  ;D No worries about how long it takes, I seem to be an exception here with exams finished and minimal actual work to do so you can just do that when you're able to and I'll be looking forwards for it in the meantime. As for knowing my character better, I posted a backstory a while back (buried under all the new posts now!) and have placed it under the spoiler, it's probably as good a way as any on knowing what my sona is like ^_^ I'll message you as I work on your design, and feel free to message me if you need any info on my sona (but once you have time from your poor neglected responsibilities of course!)

Spoiler: show
Gwenno grew up in Svolvær and had always wanted to be a troll hunter for as long as she could remember. Each winter the hunters would fill her head with such stories of terror and adventure that she wanted nothing more than to take part in them herself, and each summer they would go out and fight and fewer would return. Year after year this went on and Gwenno decided that as soon as she was old enough she would join them. She grew big dreams of being the best troll hunter ever, of protecting her home singlehandedly, and of nobody ever having to be scared of the world ever again, but dreams are brittle and sometimes there are more than trolls standing in their way. As the years progressed it became apparent that she had no affinity with any kind of firearm, and after more than a few close shaves including blades while training, her teachers and family kindly suggested that it would probably be safer for her to stay away from trolls.

Her mother was from Iceland, and much to Gwenno’s dismay had made sure to teach her daughter to read from a very young age. Because of this, she was given a job as an assistant to a skald, and although her heart was still tied up in stories of troll hunting, she kept it hidden and worked hard to keep her family happy. She tried her hardest, she really did, but the dreams burnt a hole in her heart, and each night she would sneak out and train with anything she could get her hands on, be that cutlery, tree branch clubs, or rope. Some wondered how she’d collected so many bruises working such a mundane job, but it was mainly accredited to clumsiness and left at that. One night, while bruising herself and still making no progress, she saw a broken broom handle and decided to give it a spin, and somehow, something just *clicked*. While she still had a hard time getting things to work, she started getting better, and after a while she progressed to “borrowed” knives, and crafted her own wooden staff. Far away from the eyes of the world she grew stronger. Due to her previous failure she had become timid however, and scared to ask for any form of help lest she seem weak. This meant that although she had become a better fighter she found herself unable to ask to join, and as summer arrived she watched the warriors leaving for their first hunt of the year from her seat at the window-desk. Night fell and once again Gwenno sneaked away to find a quiet spot to train, before realising that the hunters still hadn’t come back. In a brilliant if ill timed moment of bravery she grabbed her staff and knives and climbed over the fence, with the intent of joining the team and helping them if they were caught in trouble. The night was still, and as befits a plan of such phenomental glory and stupidity, her presence in the darkness didn’t go unnoticed, and before she had even reached the first settlement a shadow crept behind her and lunged.....

The troll hunting team found her the next morning on the way back to Svolvær, proped up against a tree, covered in blood, with two cracked ribs and a smile on her face. Sourrounding her on the floor were various pieces of troll. As she was treated back at home, nearly in tears she shouted that if they wouldn’t let her join the team she’d just go out and fight the trolls by herself. What she didn’t know at the time however, was there were pieces of at least three trolls littering the floor around her that day, and it was agreed that maybe she deserved another shot.

Almond-Goddess - Thank you for such kind words, it really means a lot to me ^_^ I'm also pretty darn excited to see how this project ends up!

KicknRun - Don't give up on digital art just yet! I think your picture is very good, and I love the bright colours on it and the creative design :D
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #1495 on: May 17, 2015, 05:04:30 PM »
Hey guys! This is kind of inspired by Haiz's project to draw a group picture of all the Norwegian characters. Would you guys be up for doing a collaboration piece? Basically everyone contributes by drawing their respective characters, then a person compiles them together into a single picture, complete with fancy background and everything. I want to get a headcount of interested parties before I get too excited about this, haha.

I am so in and I will be waiting for a link! :D

HAPPY NORWAY DAY EVERYONE

from left to right:
Freddiethefantastic; Curry; YOURS TRULY; Elrew; Fimbulvarg/waffle; Laufey; Ruth; Sigrid Marie; Kex; Unlos; Cheesecake; Fenris; Gwenno
(those are all the norwegian 'sonas I know of, I really hope I didn't leave out anyone!)

- I refuse to participate in the parade if I don't get to carry the banner. I don't care that I'm the shortest and physically weakest, give it to me
- Sorry if any proportions/heights got wrong!!! I've never drawn a crowd scene such as this before O: O: O:
- "Ja, vi elsker dette landet" are the first lyrics in our national anthem, they translate to "yes, we love this country" and the following lyrics are all about what a miserable rocky clump of land we live on and how beautiful that is.

DETAIL SHOTS:

!!!!!!! THIS IS SO GREAT AND I REALLY LOVE PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING ABOUT IT? I reall love your art and your draws make me very happy and hhhh this is so great i LOVE MY VERY NORWEGIAN FLAMETHROWER THIS IS GOOD
"what do you mean the flag might catch on fire, that's preposterous" -karri, who said the exact same thing about their hair during training

I don't know what to say about mine really, maybe "Happy Constitution day!"? Anyway, it's my attempt at all the Norwegian 'sonas :)
From left to right we have : Fimbulvarg, Freddiethefantastic, Sigrid Marie, Gwenno (me), Fenris, Ruth, Karri/Curry, Unlos, Kex(bottom), Cheescake(top), Eldrew and Haiz/Helen. The troll is of course Laufey
(lazy points on 5 minute fjords background and choosing a scene where I had to draw as few legs as possible :P - legs are the worst!)

Sure, I'd be up for this :) Seems like there's quite a few on board already!

Also, I'm slightly more free now, so if anyone feels like art trades let me know ^_^

ANOTHER FANTASTIC DRAW!! ;D This thread has been hopping with great art lately and if I didn't mention anything specific about it, know that I saw it and I just really appreciate how talented this fandom is! We all look so cute here (and I agree, legs are pretty bad, but can we talk about feet)
Also since I recently got my to-draw list down to *looks at smudged writing on hand* 11 items I believe? I am so up for an art trade! I'll pm you about specifics :O

KicknRun, I agree with Haiz, digital art does take a while to get used to (I'm still getting used to it to be honest) but what you posted looks great and I really love your SSSSona's design! :D I wish you the softest of pillows to relieve your art-related back pain, by the way. I've been there too many times to count :_)
YEET

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1496 on: May 17, 2015, 05:07:59 PM »
"what do you mean the flag might catch on fire, that's preposterous" -karri, who said the exact same thing about their hair during training

I wouldn't worry about that, the correct way to dispose of a flag is to burn it (which makes flag burning protests kind of ironic).

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #1497 on: May 17, 2015, 05:14:04 PM »
I wouldn't worry about that, the correct way to dispose of a flag is to burn it (which makes flag burning protests kind of ironic).

Immediately reminded me of this glorious fail. :D

(They're indeed just disposing of the flag, not disrespecting it.)
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #1498 on: May 17, 2015, 05:17:46 PM »

Exactly, plus it isn't even going to happen, anyway, because Karri knows EVERYTHING about science, so no problem there!

Seriously though, they're rather counterintuitive
YEET

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #1499 on: May 17, 2015, 05:53:21 PM »
These are the ideas that take place inside my mind, enjoy

For those who can't read my crappy handwriting
Title: How Oh Deer got her name
Setting: The mages held a party, sadly, Oh Deer was left alone with magic
Oh Deer: Hey guys, what's this?
(these are just random mages, but this is how i think it would have gone)
SolarpoweredGirl: What?
Kahli: Wait...
Haiz: NO!
Noodly Appendage: Don't touch that!
*poof*  *more poof*
Oh Deer: Very funny, now change me back!
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8: