Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 843412 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #495 on: April 12, 2015, 04:41:08 PM »
Fimbulvarg: I made some pretty weird sounds when I saw that, oh man it's... it's... beautiful... thank you, I have no words but it might have to be printed out for my wall. XD Yup, ALL the accordion noises for that!

Is that a The Fez reference by any chance?
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #496 on: April 12, 2015, 04:46:15 PM »
Is that a The Fez reference by any chance?

No, never heard of that. I was doodling and just thought "should I put a fez on? What the %£¤$ is wrong with me, of course I should put a fez on. Monocle? Ho!".

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #497 on: April 12, 2015, 05:06:01 PM »
No, never heard of that. I was doodling and just thought "should I put a fez on? What the %£¤$ is wrong with me, of course I should put a fez on. Monocle? Ho!".
I like the way you think, you're hired

the troll drawing is absolutely fantastic but I think that has been said already
you'll know where to find me.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #498 on: April 12, 2015, 06:01:27 PM »

Aw, thanks! I love the shading, since that and color are things I really should use more...

Also, Fimbulvarg, that troll is so very awesome. And so very...dapper.

SolarPoweredGirl

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • A normal kid who isn't that normal
« Reply #499 on: April 12, 2015, 08:20:19 PM »
*spams thread because I have had no scanner or computer the past week due to spring break vacation*
All of these SSSSonas look like they are about to be awesome and kick butt  ;D meanwhile I show up with all these little kittens.
Sorry if the clothes are incorrect but I had to make them from memory as there is no internet available on car rides (main reason why I couldn't draw everyone that I wanted) :(.
First, we have for Haiz, Helen as the magical mage cat

Then we have for Cheesecake, Lana the jack of all trades cat

The falconer cat aka Almondgodess' OC cat

and me

WAIT DON'T SCROLL PAST THIS I KNOW THIS IS A LONG POST but just one more thing okay
here is an attempt at drawing Almondgodess' OC as a human not a cat
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 09:55:01 PM by SolarPoweredGirl »

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #500 on: April 12, 2015, 08:26:38 PM »
*spams thread because I have had no scanner or computer the past week due to spring break vacation*
Just wondering, do you do them on a phone or tablet, because I currently have Drawing Desk on my IPad, but it sometimes randomly deletes things and it doesn't allow you to change the easer size. My only requirements are that in can zoom in and can change easer size

I didn't mean for it to be that long sorry!
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

SolarPoweredGirl

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #501 on: April 12, 2015, 08:35:59 PM »
Just wondering, do you do them on a phone or tablet, because I currently have Drawing Desk on my IPad, but it sometimes randomly deletes things and it doesn't allow you to change the easer size. My only requirements are that in can zoom in and can change easer size

I didn't mean for it to be that long sorry!
I just use the sketch desk on drawing desk and just switch from the different tools for shading and sizes and stuff. It only randomly deletes things when my hand accidentally touches the undo button.
I don't have a Ipad or smartphone (yet hopefully) only a samsung slidey-phone and a kindle fire. I have the app on my kindle fire because my  slidey-phone is useless.

tabeabd

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
  • I need coffee
« Reply #502 on: April 12, 2015, 08:40:36 PM »
Ahhh it was fun looking through this thread! I love everyone's self-inserts :)

I did the thing!

Too lazy to write any bio atm. And wow, it's been so long since I've drawn in PS, I nearly forgot what I was doing.
Not real name because Tabitha [REDACTED] is far from Nordic. Granted, Tabea isn't either, but it's still more European. "Söder" because my actual heritage is all south of Sweden haha.
Fluent::usa: 
Intermediate but rusty::germany:
Learning: 
Should know but doesn't::brazil:

:chap4::chap5::chap6::chap7:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #503 on: April 12, 2015, 08:50:36 PM »
All of these SSSSonas look like they are about to be awesome and kick butt  ;D meanwhile I show up with all these little kittens.
First, we have Haiz the magical mage cat

SPG, these are great!  I particularly like the Marimekko-esque swirls of bold color around the kitties.

One suggestion:  Do consider resizing your images down a bit so readers with small screens (like me) don't have to scroll.  I resized your first image to "width=600".  I think anything up to about 750-800 pixels should work.  The first post in this thread contains a good tutorial on resizing.

Good luck, and keep up the good work!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #504 on: April 12, 2015, 08:52:18 PM »
I just use the sketch desk on drawing desk and just switch from the different tools for shading and sizes and stuff. It only randomly deletes things when my hand accidentally touches the undo button.
I don't have a Ipad or smartphone (yet hopefully) only a samsung slidey-phone and a kindle fire. I have the app on my kindle fire because my  slidey-phone is useless.
Ok, thanks!
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

SolarPoweredGirl

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #505 on: April 12, 2015, 09:16:06 PM »
SPG, these are great!  I particularly like the Marimekko-esque swirls of bold color around the kitties.

One suggestion:  Do consider resizing your images down a bit so readers with small screens (like me) don't have to scroll.  I resized your first image to "width=600".  I think anything up to about 750-800 pixels should work.  The first post in this thread contains a good tutorial on resizing.

Good luck, and keep up the good work!
Thanks! i will attempt to change the size

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #506 on: April 12, 2015, 09:41:28 PM »
Too lazy to write any bio atm. And wow, it's been so long since I've drawn in PS, I nearly forgot what I was doing.
Not real name because Tabitha [REDACTED] is far from Nordic. Granted, Tabea isn't either, but it's still more European. "Söder" because my actual heritage is all south of Sweden haha.

Yes, fellow cartographer high-five! (And heh, I'm so very far from Nordic also. I was too lazy to come up with an "actual" name, though...)

I also just realized that book-binder is probably a very, very valid profession. Oh well. Skalds who work with paper probably need to know how do some archival work, anyway.

tabeabd

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
  • I need coffee
« Reply #507 on: April 12, 2015, 09:58:46 PM »
Yes, fellow cartographer high-five! (And heh, I'm so very far from Nordic also. I was too lazy to come up with an "actual" name, though...)

I also just realized that book-binder is probably a very, very valid profession. Oh well. Skalds who work with paper probably need to know how do some archival work, anyway.

Woo-hoo! *high-five* It's the most best job.

It probably is. And I was considering Skald, but wanted something not represented by our canon crew.
Fluent::usa: 
Intermediate but rusty::germany:
Learning: 
Should know but doesn't::brazil:

:chap4::chap5::chap6::chap7:

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #508 on: April 12, 2015, 10:01:42 PM »
Ahhhh so much cool stuff!! I have been crazy busy so I will have to go with a blanket SO COOL to everything on here, but Almond-Goddess, those are BEAUTIFUL and I can't get over how gorgeous your art is. I get so much inspiration from looking at your pieces and I just have no words to describe how fantastic it is :0

I also drew up a bit more of a backstory for Karri (me SSSSona). Sorry for long post, I can't wait for spoiler codes :I

As a child, Karri used to have varied and vividly terrible dreams. They would repeat themselves over and over, and they were perpetually tired and afraid of sleeping. Their parents took this as a sign of magical prowess and hastily sent them to Iceland for training, proud that they had a Mage in the family and also completely unable to deal with Karri's developing neuroses. They passed it off as "Mage behavior", and considering they were both peasants (from a once-rich bloodline, very proud of the fact) and inexperienced with the military, they had no idea of what to expect with magic. So, Karri left their parents, grandparents, and little brother for a gigantic new country at the age of 10. Once they got to Iceland, they got a normal education as well as the beginnings of a Mage education. They quickly found that the dreams were stopping and they had little talent, if any, with magic. School became tedious and their grades started to fall below acceptable levels and after seeing their older cousins return from the military on break back in her home country, Norway, Karri decided that they would join the ranks of the cleansers, due to their love of one thing and one thing only in school: chemistry. Having moved around a lot, they generally know how to make friends, but their innate quirkiness, slightly off sense of humor, and sometimes-abrasive bravado can also rub people the wrong way rather easily. They use their rudimentary chemical knowledge to make eyeliner and more intense explosives because they're trash. Their sticky fingers come from their upbringing in a peasant household where NOTHING was thrown away due to the high costs of getting new items. Therefore, they're handy with a sewing needle, and they can make whatever the military gives them work without complaint. They also have no taste for fancy foods and are perfectly happy with a potato and some butter, thank you very much. (however, if they somehow found a way to get their hands on some curry, no doubt they'd love it :p )
Personality-wise they tend to go with their gut instinct and focus either on the vague, general feeling of things or random minutiae (no in between). There's no real way to get a proper description from them. They are somewhat insecure at heart but they cover it up (pretty successfully, I might add) with bluster and exuberance and they often forget their insecurities herself (fake it till you make it) but overdo it to the point where they don't know how to handle other emotions like sadness or depression or anxiety, internalizing it all. They swing between irritation and enthusiasm most of the time and can be incredibly absent-minded (this shows through in their navigational skills. do not, I repeat, DO NOT let Karri navigate you anywhere or you will end up lost in the wilderness and eaten by trolls). Also has a habit of getting stuck on certain phrases (you could call them "catchphrases" I guess) and repeating them after like every sentence. They're also impulsive and will make poor financial decisions if put under pressure (example: spent half of their life savings on a really swanky pair of glasses. only regrets it a little bit.)

Also really loves cats. Too cute, too adorable, fluffy and aloof and absolutely perfect

Sized it down a touch for a slightly smaller wall of text 8) maybe I should add "doesn't know how to shut up" in my character description
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 03:53:32 AM by Curry »
YEET

SolarPoweredGirl

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #509 on: April 13, 2015, 12:27:21 AM »
I decided to color my attempt at Almond Godess' OC.