Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 836220 times)

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #5025 on: May 10, 2017, 10:47:47 PM »
What's a superhero story without gadgets?

Dang it, saw the post here and got excited thinking you'd put up a new chapter already...

Weirdly enough, this is probably the most accurate way of depicting a society where people start getting superpowers. They already have magic, so it doesn't seem so strange, and it's too recent for any major changes. The powers are relatively limited.

Basically, what I'm saying is that it apparently takes an apocalypse to make superheroes realistic...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:52:48 PM by Ragnarok »
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5026 on: May 10, 2017, 11:11:46 PM »
Dang it, saw the post here and got excited thinking you'd put up a new chapter already...

Weirdly enough, this is probably the most accurate way of depicting a society where people start getting superpowers. They already have magic, so it doesn't seem so strange, and it's too recent for any major changes. The powers are relatively limited.

Basically, what I'm saying is that it apparently takes an apocalypse to make superheroes realistic...

Extraordinary becomes ordinary?  Actually, you may remember the original brief (*your* original brief, as it were) was that Tuuri needed to be able to beat superheroes - so she has ended up with a mechanical aptitude outside the norm, but without any magic.  As for the supposed mechanics of the boat...ummm, I'm going with Minna's 'really-handy-but-don't-look-to-the-laws-of-physics-to-explain-it-okay' tech.

New chapter is already in progress (I always put a rough outline as my first draft, right after I post the previous chapter), but my next writing session is scheduled for working out my idea for J in the Alphabet Challenge, which if I play it right should be funny.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5027 on: May 27, 2017, 10:30:26 PM »
Chapter 30 is up, "Let's Get this Rescue Started, Shall We?"
http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/24556653

Includes a touch of Gwenno.  Because Gwenno.  Because, the only thing that can top being rescued from inland Denmark by a bunch of superheroes in a boat, is the epic meeting of Gwenno and Sigrun.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5028 on: May 28, 2017, 09:12:39 AM »
Fun foreshadowing, and loving the matched pair of Norwegian adrenaline junkie meeting. Another great chapter!
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #5029 on: June 07, 2017, 06:05:56 PM »
*peaks around corner*
*meeps*
*hides*
*takes a deep breath*
*tries again*

Ummm... hello, I am late to the party, very late in fact, is there still some storage room where I can squeeze myself in? (:P)
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5030 on: June 07, 2017, 06:13:12 PM »
*peaks around corner*
*meeps*
*hides*
*takes a deep breath*
*tries again*

Ummm... hello, I am late to the party, very late in fact, is there still some storage room where I can squeeze myself in? (:P)

You can always make an SI or OC as you wish. Joining the RP...well, if we want an excuse to have an evac ship arrive early...or perhaps throw in a scavenger or wanderer character.

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #5031 on: June 07, 2017, 06:17:43 PM »
*peaks around corner*
*meeps*
*hides*
*takes a deep breath*
*tries again*

* Keeper opens doors to a huge reception parlor

Will this do? (let's get this party going! :D )
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5032 on: June 07, 2017, 06:58:05 PM »
* Keeper opens doors to a huge reception parlor

Will this do? (let's get this party going! :D )

:D Yes this will do nicely! Thank you!

You can always make an SI or OC as you wish. Joining the RP...well, if we want an excuse to have an evac ship arrive early...or perhaps throw in a scavenger or wanderer character.

Ah...
Aha.
Ahahahaha >_>

Well, I just spent about three or four hours designing an somewhat SI-ish OC (how does that even work???), and I think it'd be a waste if I didn't use them, so...

Spoiler: show

This is Mo the Stray.

They're from somewhere in and around what once was Germany, and yes, they are wearing a stolen bedsheet as a makeshift cloakthing, held in place by a safety pin. They also were trousers that are one size too big (with a belt that is way too big), and boots that are one size too small (they wear them for protection, else they rather go barefoot anyway), all of which is probably also stolen, but the blue scarf and the backpack is all theirs. They stuff everything that may be even just mildly useful in there. Fun fact, the knife they are carrying is just a butter knife. They rather use big sticks (preferable thorny ones) or big, sharp stones as weapons if need be.

However, they survived in the wilderness with barely a scratch due to doing the only sensible thing (in their eyes): running and hiding and avoiding danger at all costs. They are pretty paranoid too. They see moving shadows everywhere (too the point they are used to it, maybe, no, not maybe, they are also a bit crazy). Thus, they always have their senses in their surroundings, ready to run or climb the next tree (they are quite deft). And they also know what to eat, which berries, mushrooms, herbs, what nature produces at the time.

Furthermore, they have semi-lucid dreams, as in, they are aware that they are dreaming, but have zero control over what's happening in the dreamscape, not even over their own body. All they can do is watch.

Their heritage is a mystery, their gender is undefined, as is their grade of immunity (most likely yes, but who knows...)

So yeah, they are a wandering character, because staying around one point is not only dangerous but also pointless, since one needs food.

And they probably have not met many other humans in a long time, if any at all.

WARNING: Highly undependable, DO NOT RELY ON (unless you can bring them to care about something other than their own survival)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 12:36:08 PM by Clayres »

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5033 on: June 07, 2017, 07:05:00 PM »
:D Yes this will do nicely! Thank you!

Ah...
Aha.
Ahahahaha >_>

Well, I just spent about three or four hours designing an somewhat SI-ish OC (how does that even work???), and I think it'd be a waste if I didn't use them, so...

Spoiler: show

This is Mo the Stray.

They're from somewhere in and around what once was Germany, and yes, they are wearing a stolen bedsheet as a makeshift cloakthing, hold in place by a safety pin. They also were trousers that are one size too big (with a belt that is way too big), and boots that are one size too small (they wear them for protection, else they rather go barefoot anyway), all of which is probably also stolen, but the blue scarf and the backpack is all theirs. They stuff everything that may be even just mildly useful in there. Fun fact, the knife they are carrying is just a butter knife. They rather use big sticks (preferable thorny ones) or big, sharp stones as weapons if need be.

However, they survived in the wilderness with barely a scratch due to doing the only sensible thing (in their eyes): running and hiding and avoiding danger at all costs. They are pretty paranoid too. They see moving shadows everywhere (too the point they are used to it, maybe, no, not maybe, they are also a bit crazy). Thus, they always have their senses in their surroundings, ready to run or climb the next tree (they are quite deft). And they also know what to eat, which berries, mushrooms, herbs, what nature produces at the time.

Furthermore, they have semi-lucid dreams, as in, they are aware that they are dreaming, but have zero control over what's happening in the dreamscape, not even over their own body. All they can do is watch.

Their heritage is a mystery, their gender is undefined, as is their grade of immunity (most likely yes, but who knows...)

So yeah, they are a wandering character, because staying around one point is not only dangerous but also pointless, since one needs food.

And they probably have not met many other humans in a long time, if any at all.

WARNING: Highly undependable, DO NOT RELY ON (unless you can bring them to care about something other than their own survival)

Your character is now, possibly unintentionally, extremely badass- my own OC set up what's left of Silent World Germany/Switzerland. It makes Girl Genius's Europa look tame, and virtually everything between the Danish border and the Alps is a hellscape of feuding semi-medieval factions, escaped alchemic experiments, trolls, etc.

Your character has, by deduction, survived this with sticks and rocks.

*claps*

Anyway, assuming they show up the next day? What languages do they speak?

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #5034 on: June 07, 2017, 07:23:50 PM »
Lovely, Clayres!

Heh, my Madeline is not quite as badass, just an over-ambitious girl who ran away to Silent Denmark. But considering recent events in-comic, she's at least more badass than when I first posted. After all, she hasn't attracted the attention of the murderghosts!
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5035 on: June 08, 2017, 11:58:26 AM »
Your character is now, possibly unintentionally, extremely badass- my own OC set up what's left of Silent World Germany/Switzerland. It makes Girl Genius's Europa look tame, and virtually everything between the Danish border and the Alps is a hellscape of feuding semi-medieval factions, escaped alchemic experiments, trolls, etc.

Your character has, by deduction, survived this with sticks and rocks.

*claps*

Anyway, assuming they show up the next day? What languages do they speak?

Lovely, Clayres!

Heh, my Madeline is not quite as badass, just an over-ambitious girl who ran away to Silent Denmark. But considering recent events in-comic, she's at least more badass than when I first posted. After all, she hasn't attracted the attention of the murderghosts!

O_O ...oops. Nope, definitely not intentional, I see them as a crazy and extremely lucky coward. (most likely using the sticks and rocks to cause as much of a distraction as possible, then run at the first opportunity, but first and foremost not taking risks and getting themselves into a possibly dangerous situation in the first place)

But if they end up being badass, that's fine with me as well :D

They most likely only speak German, if they didn't actually pick up some foreign words on the rare occasion they meet travelers of different heritage (if at all), perhaps because they sounded fun.

Can they read and write? - Maybe???, but their handwriting would be terrible due to lack of usage.

They believe only in the greater concept of providence, in their own way, and in what the voices in their head, their only company, tell them to keep them going.

(Alternatively, they believe in all the gods and wear a necklace with every possible religious symbol they know of and they could find/make, however, how would they know about the gods? hrrmmmm...)

Oh, and their age is something in the early twenties.

Hrrrmmmm, now which other questions should be answered...?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 12:35:43 PM by Clayres »

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5036 on: June 08, 2017, 12:08:06 PM »
O_O ...oops. Nope, definitely not intentional, I see them as a crazy and extremely lucky coward. (most likely using the sticks and rocks to cause as much of a distraction as possible, then run at the first opportunity, but first and foremost not taking risks and getting themselves into a possibly dangerous situation in the first place)

But if they end up being badass, that's fine with me as well :D

They most likely only speak German, if they didn't actually pick up some foreign words on the rare occasion they meet travelers of different heritage (if at all), perhaps because they sounded fun.

Can they read and write? - Maybe???, but their handwriting would be terrible due to lack of usage.

They believe only in the greater concept of providence, in their own way, and in what the voices in their head, their only company, tell them to keep them going.

(Alternatively, they believe in all the gods and wear a necklace with every possible religious symbol they know of and they could find/make, however, how would they know about the gods? hrrmmmm...)

Oh, and their age is something in the early twenties.

Hrrrmmmm, no which other questions should be answered...?

Nope!

Re: knowing about the gods...they might just assume any large meeting place with important symbols is holy or hallowed. Which leads to them wearing some random symbology as well as the more normal religious symbols?

I'll get the plot hook for my German-speaking character to encounter yours set up on the RP. See you there!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 12:54:19 PM by Ragnarok »

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5037 on: July 14, 2017, 09:03:33 PM »
At long last, chapter 31 in the superhero AU is released: http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/25813464

Night is falling fast, and the pleasantries between Tuuri and the crew she was supposed to have been a part of mostly have to wait.  Same for Reynir, who is just totally lost and finding whatever anchor he can.  Onni, however, has lots of time for pleasantries, and finds out something new about magespace.  Enjoy.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #5038 on: July 14, 2017, 10:22:43 PM »
Seems I somehow missed three updates.

All were awesome.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #5039 on: July 14, 2017, 10:36:18 PM »
At long last, chapter 31 in the superhero AU is released: http://archiveofourown.org/works/6610714/chapters/25813464

Night is falling fast, and the pleasantries between Tuuri and the crew she was supposed to have been a part of mostly have to wait.  Same for Reynir, who is just totally lost and finding whatever anchor he can.  Onni, however, has lots of time for pleasantries, and finds out something new about magespace.  Enjoy.

I wish I was more awake to give a detailed response, but this was a great chapter!