Author Topic: The SSSS Art Museum  (Read 2496310 times)

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
Re: The SSSS Art Museum
« Reply #9615 on: April 18, 2016, 08:11:53 AM »
Rabbit I continue to be impressed by those car-drawing skills! And Sigrun, of course, is 100% amazing.

Speaking of Sigruns, I love the one you did, Vi! The colors are really nice. :)

Psst...Jureeya, your spoiler tag is broken because there's an apostrophe in it, it won't open. I know what lurks beneath though, so I'll go ahead and make inarticulate noises about how amazing it is. :))
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Jureeya

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • cold leaf
« Reply #9616 on: April 18, 2016, 11:03:49 AM »
Psst...Jureeya, your spoiler tag is broken because there's an apostrophe in it, it won't open. I know what lurks beneath though, so I'll go ahead and make inarticulate noises about how amazing it is. :))

oho i had totally no idea thanks!
Survived: :chap10:

Fluent: :usa: :spain:
Learned and currently forgetting: :japan: :vaticancity:
Learning: :sweden: :germany:

>Buy Me a Coffee<

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #9617 on: April 18, 2016, 12:47:31 PM »
Hello. I have Sigruned.

Ho ho, is that silver pen on the details? I'm loving the texture on her boots especially!

Rabbit I still can't get over how good that car looks. I mean yes Sigrun herself is amazing too, but ??? how the heck does one draw vehicles, man.

By using a metric ton of references. Or, in this case, just one, but a good one :P

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #9618 on: April 18, 2016, 05:43:43 PM »
By using a metric ton of references. Or, in this case, just one, but a good one :P

CHEATER! xD

*says who also used reference for the sauna pic.....*
I just go and hide, everyone uses refs for cool stuffs, don't deny....
Spoiler: show
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
« Reply #9619 on: April 18, 2016, 05:57:36 PM »
CHEATER! xD

Spoiler: show

Using references is not cheating. Using references is how you learn to art. And I think fanart is the perfect arena to practice with this kind of more direct pose copying.

Aki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • rambler of headcanons spouter of ideas
  • Preferred pronouns: (she/her) please don't call me dude, that's all.
« Reply #9620 on: April 18, 2016, 06:08:23 PM »
CHEATER! xD

Martti, I find that really rude. Using references is not cheating, you know it, so this is completely unnecessary, not funny, and rude towards Rabbit, who did a really, really tremendous job on this picture.
Languages:
fluent: :switzerland: :germany: :france: :uk:
knows: :vaticancity:, ancient :greece:
learned some: :japan:
can read to some extent: :italy: :spain: etc.
wants to learn: :finland:
You may use any of my "Imagine X" or headcanons for your writing or art as long as you link back to me or my original post if you feel like you stayed true to it.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :book2: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #9621 on: April 18, 2016, 06:48:15 PM »
I mean, if we look into it, the Great Master Painters of the past had people posing in their studios for references. who's gonna tell leonardo da vinci he's cheating? also a fact that I find kinda cool is that when artists travelled around to distant countries, they brought sketchbooks and drew landscapes and plants to use as references for later paintings! the renaissance equivalent of google image search. [/art history]
pro tip to baby artists: google image search is a wonderful tool and references are super good!! it's not cheating and you'll learn how things actually look!!

anyway while I'm here, my compliments to all the recent art *___* like dang, rabbit, that sigrun....... i'm kind of standing in the corner raising my eyebrow at the context but I hope you guys have some fun ahaha ha
and viola!!! norwegian uniform sigrun yesssssssss
you'll know where to find me.

Antillanka

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #9622 on: April 18, 2016, 07:39:44 PM »
Martti, I find that really rude. Using references is not cheating, you know it, so this is completely unnecessary, not funny, and rude towards Rabbit, who did a really, really tremendous job on this picture.
Using references is not cheating. Using references is how you learn to art. And I think fanart is the perfect arena to practice with this kind of more direct pose copying.

But, guys, did you even read the slashed text?... It was meant to be a joke, obviously!  :P
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
« Reply #9623 on: April 18, 2016, 07:51:25 PM »
I was joooooking!

yeah, I do that, I was joking.... ;3;

But, guys, did you even read the slashed text?... It was meant to be a joke, obviously!  :P

yes, I totally joked, I even use references sometimes..... but really sometimes
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #9624 on: April 18, 2016, 07:56:24 PM »
I gotta say, it's still kind of rude! You can joke about things, but that doesn't make it nice. Large caps text generally comes off as hostile and it really wasn't an appropriate comment on Rabbit's (lovely <3 ) sigrun. Would you really want somebody pointing at your art and yelling CHEATER, even in jest?

idk man it's just not very good artiquette

edit: i realize that was offensive too, sorry about that! i need to chill
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 09:26:55 PM by Curry »
YEET

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
« Reply #9625 on: April 18, 2016, 08:24:37 PM »

yes, I totally joked, I even use references sometimes..... but really sometimes

Yes, I did realise you were joking, and even if I hadn't, I wouldn't have been particularly offended because I had a solid art upbringing courtesy of my mum and I know it's simply not true. However, I did feel compelled to point out the contrary because not everyone had that, and getting called a cheater for using references (which, like Haiz pointed out, is absolutely something "real" painters do all the time) is an actual freaking problem that keeps especially young hobby artists from developing their eye and hand. Martti, even you yourself just stressed that you only use references "sometimes" - as if using them "always" would be somehow shameful.

I'm not saying all the art someone produces should be more or less direct copies of reference photographs like the sauna pic and the car, I'm saying if you need a reference for a pose, or a pattern, or a hand position, or a material, you use one. Art is as much about eye as it is about hand, and how can your eye get better if you don't use it? Draw from life. Draw from photographs. Trace panels of your favourite comics for practice. Look at things before you try to replicate them. LOOK. PRACTICE. One day I might be experienced enough in drawing large shiny metal objects that I can just wing a sports car in fifteen minutes, but the day before yesterday I had never drawn any metal objects bigger than a blade in my life. Today, I have, and while I could just roll my eyes (and probably go on another rant) if someone seriously called me a cheater for that, this particular joke is simply. not. funny. I'm not angry at anyone here, but I am angry that this association exists in the first place.

Okay, rant over, let's get back to the regularly scheduled arting.

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
« Reply #9626 on: April 18, 2016, 10:12:22 PM »
Martti, even you yourself just stressed that you only use references "sometimes" - as if using them "always" would be somehow shameful.

not that I mean...., I actually rarely use references....... that's what I mean. 95% I not use references................................ ;3; sorry
the sometimes means a really rare moment I actually use some references..... out of all my ssss arts, there are like 4 arts (?) I used reference, the rest all by myself
sorry for misunderstanding for everything

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #9627 on: April 18, 2016, 10:18:32 PM »
*Patpats Martti*
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9628 on: April 19, 2016, 12:43:03 AM »
Am I too late for the clothes thing? I am? Awesome. Here's mine anyway....

Now you know I have waaaaay too many pairs of Birkenstocks....
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #9629 on: April 19, 2016, 12:44:51 AM »
Am I too late for the clothes thing? I am? Awesome. Here's mine anyway....

Now you know I have waaaaay too many pairs of Birkenstocks....

It's never too late for bandwagons. ;p
I dearly appreciate skirt!Reynir. Super cute. < 3
/would steal your sandals but they are probably too small OH WELL
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge