Author Topic: Cosplay  (Read 142787 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Cosplay
« Reply #480 on: December 29, 2015, 06:52:22 PM »
That mediaeval design with all the little panels pieced together was originally done to use each piece of cloth most efficiently, with minimum wastage. I've made reenactment costumes, and the oldest designs are always like that, dating as they do from times when woven cloth was very expensive if you bought it, and very time-and-labour intensive if you made it.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #481 on: December 29, 2015, 07:00:23 PM »
That mediaeval design with all the little panels pieced together was originally done to use each piece of cloth most efficiently, with minimum wastage. I've made reenactment costumes, and the oldest designs are always like that, dating as they do from times when woven cloth was very expensive if you bought it, and very time-and-labour intensive if you made it.

Yup! The way the trousers were cut wasted very little material, and the shirt part even less. Then there's the Iron Age Finnish ladies' dress style that wastes absolutely nothing in the cutting process which felt like a magic trick when all the pieces came together. I'm not sure if Minna actually thought this far with the designs - I mean who's to say she didn't - but it would be quite well suited for Y90 too to waste as little fabric as possible.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 07:03:31 PM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #482 on: December 29, 2015, 07:24:16 PM »
Then there's the Iron Age Finnish ladies' dress style that wastes absolutely nothing in the cutting process which felt like a magic trick when all the pieces came together.
Yup, that was a bit early for us 'peans to have heard about the real thing. :P
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

« Reply #483 on: December 30, 2015, 12:10:10 AM »
Laufey: I have one very like that as part of my garb when I'm doing my apothecary-and-storyteller gig at Mediaeval Fairs. Mine is a Celtic pattern, but is very similar.

And Job, thanks! Haven't seen tangrams in years!

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #484 on: December 30, 2015, 09:54:51 AM »

Trousers done! Next I get to flip a coin on whether I start with gloves (YAY!) or boot covers (URGH) first.

Btw Medieval style trousers are a headache to put together with all those weird pieces, but I noticed that the cut puts seams roughly in the same place Minna's placed them in the white uniforms. Normally if I were to sew trousers there'd be only one seam in the middle of the butt, but these - and Minna's uniform design - have two.

I don't think it matters so much with the blue uniform I'm working on but when I get to the white uniform cosplay it's good to have it figured out! :D

You know, you're making we want to learn how to sew properly.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #485 on: January 01, 2016, 11:31:19 AM »

Cosplay updates again, I hope this isn't getting too repetitive...

Trousers in action. Pay no attention to the belts, they're there just to, uh, be belts. More action in the cut.

Spoiler: show

These trolls are friends.

Next I had this wonderful idea that since the yard on this side is basically a steep hill I could jump down it for some really cool action photos. Except there were two catches.

First of all all the photos turned out blurry... and secondly I can't manage a graceful landing if my life depended on it.

I'm just not really very good at this athletic stuff, sorry. :D

This is the face of giving up + SNOW SURE IS COLD WHODA THUNK.

~*FIN*~
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:33:35 AM by Laufey »

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Antillanka

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #486 on: January 01, 2016, 12:18:44 PM »

Trousers in action. Pay no attention to the belts, they're there just to, uh, be belts. More action in the cut.

Next I had this wonderful idea that since the yard on this side is basically a steep hill I could jump down it for some really cool action photos. Except there were two catches.

First of all all the photos turned out blurry... and secondly I can't manage a graceful landing if my life depended on it.

~*FIN*~

Oh my goodness!! It all comes together so perfectly!!! *v* <3 <3 <3 I'm sure you're getting tired of this being said to you all the time but you're absolutely awesome at this!!!

Your action shots are the best hahahahahah!
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #487 on: January 01, 2016, 12:24:53 PM »
Too repetitive ? But it's so interesting to see the evolution of your cosplay ! :D
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #488 on: January 01, 2016, 01:03:59 PM »

(snip)

NEVER repetitive. I love all your cosplay photos always. < 3
Anyway. This looks GREAT and it's so cool to see it coming together. *_*
And yes, snow sure is cold, such surprise.... ;p
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #489 on: January 01, 2016, 01:27:56 PM »

~*FIN*~

This is so great! Your action shots are fantastic, hehe. I love all your updates, the amount of work you put into your costumes is really inspiring. (So I guess what I'm saying is, it's not repetitive, please never stop!)
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #490 on: January 01, 2016, 02:51:15 PM »
 :o Wow Laufey, when did you turn into Sigrun! It's really cool to see how the cosplay is coming along!

When I walked in the door yesterday, I looked in a mirror and boom- Hannu was standing in my place. Yay for accidental cosplay!
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #491 on: January 02, 2016, 04:43:22 AM »
You know, you're making we want to learn how to sew properly.

Mwahaha my evil plan is working!  ;D

Thank you all for the nice comments, also great to hear my flooding this thread with progress posts isn't getting too much. Next I'll have to figure out how to do the belts... gloves and boot covers are the next items to be made, but how will I make the belts so that they're both accurate in looks and functional (and can carry some amount of weight, she has two swords after all).

Luth: accidental cosplay = best cosplay. :D I love the hat, it looks really warm (Hannu would approve no doubt)!

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #492 on: January 02, 2016, 10:44:29 AM »
Thank you all for the nice comments, also great to hear my flooding this thread with progress posts isn't getting too much. Next I'll have to figure out how to do the belts... gloves and boot covers are the next items to be made, but how will I make the belts so that they're both accurate in looks and functional (and can carry some amount of weight, she has two swords after all).

Not at all. It's great seeing how things progress over time
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #493 on: January 05, 2016, 08:19:18 AM »
Just wanted to note the moment when I made a horrible choice so I can come back to this post later on when I'm screaming WHY ME and remember that, again, this was a conscious decision and I p. much knew what would come out of it.

It's time to make some gloves out of pleather that has fuzzy backside so they'll be warm. This means LOTS of handsewing pleather, my #1 hated thing ever cosplay-wise, with the added hurdle of dealing with the aforementioned fuzz layer that gets in the way, sheds everywhere and gets in my nose. Anyway, pieces are cut and here we go...

Róisín

« Reply #494 on: January 05, 2016, 09:12:17 AM »
I hope you are sewing with a waxed thread, Laufey? Makes the whole thing faster, smoother and much less likely to tear at the edges of the fingers. As does using a curved needle rather than a straight one. Pleather also handles easier if you work on it in a warm room, for some reason. Maybe it flexes more? And do you have a glove form? I have tried sewing gloves inside out on a glove form, and it's much easier and faster. Good luck!