Author Topic: Cosplay  (Read 142771 times)

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
Re: Cosplay
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2015, 09:41:05 AM »
Out of interest, are beauty pageants a thing at horse shows (like they are on dog or cat ones)? Or do they rather focus on the trade/race/dressage/etc. aspects?

[Haz no experience with animals beyond microfauna, pests and the occasional cow-orker's dog visiting the office]

Kind of, but not for the horses. For hunter shows, they judge you on how prettily you ride the horse (in a way?? Like, your form and such), for jumper courses, they don't care (you just have to get over the jumps the fastest), and for dressage, they judge you on your form and how well you complete the routine. There are halter horse shows that judge the horse only on how muscled they are (think bodybuilding) but those are awful and they tend to make really unhealthy horses with all sorts of defects.
(Probably a longer response than the question warranted, but I am a very enthusiastic child who doesn't know how to shut up)
YEET

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2015, 11:04:31 AM »
Sigrun!

MOST BEST!
I'm pretty sure it's Braidy though (?).

Lars_B

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Resident Domovai
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2015, 11:11:14 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's Braidy though (?).

Of course!

That is just an incentive for more Sigrun-play

=)
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Stumbling trough: :sweden:
:chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2015, 11:31:50 AM »
Kind of, but not for the horses. For hunter shows, they judge you on how prettily you ride the horse (in a way?? Like, your form and such), [...] and for dressage, they judge you on your form and how well you complete the routine.
So, a measure of approaching the ideal of a given performance, rather than appreciating the animal itself. I wonder what it says about us humans that there are, e.g., snake beauty pageants but none for the supposedly noble horses ... >:D

There are halter horse shows that judge the horse only on how muscled they are (think bodybuilding) but those are awful and they tend to make really unhealthy horses with all sorts of defects.
[Thinks of some bodybuilder photos] Ergh. :( Not entirely unexpected, though. There's no shortage of outworldish ideals of cat and dog races, either, though it's not usually focused on muscles ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2015, 03:20:45 AM »
So, a measure of approaching the ideal of a given performance, rather than appreciating the animal itself. I wonder what it says about us humans that there are, e.g., snake beauty pageants but none for the supposedly noble horses ... >:D
[Thinks of some bodybuilder photos] Ergh. :( Not entirely unexpected, though. There's no shortage of outworldish ideals of cat and dog races, either, though it's not usually focused on muscles ...

This is particularly true of the Quarterhorse breed but not universal. In other breeds there is also balance and bone structure taken into account.

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2015, 06:32:02 PM »
So, I'm kinda mega super crazy excited at the prospect of finally meeting Braidy properly and decided to share where I'm at dreamland Braidy cosplay-wise here ^_^
I've still quite a bit to do (more embroidery for the cloak, tunic and belt; doing something about shoes; decorate the cloak buttons; hemming the cloak edges; ALL the belt things…… yeah, there's a fair amount to get done), but at least to my eyes, it looks like it's getting there :3
I'm not a professional cosplayer, so don't expect anything up to THAT standard (heck, everything is hand sewn because I don't have access to a sewing machine!), but hopefully some people will think it's good enough, and maybe it will get people inspired to work on their own cosplay efforts as well ;D

Also, thank you to Piney for creating that lovely Braidy outfit breakdown ^_^ It really helped out a lot
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

Roleplay doc

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2015, 06:39:07 PM »
Gwenno: handsewn!? Holy wow that's dedication! Definitely looks like Braidy in dreamland and no need for modesty, I say that's an impressive amount of work done already!

(Please keep posting photos as you get more parts finished, I promise to not use a creepy amount of exclamation marks again.)
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2015, 06:42:53 PM »

braidy is real
you'll know where to find me.

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2015, 06:48:06 PM »
So, I'm kinda mega super crazy excited at the prospect of finally meeting Braidy properly and decided to share where I'm at dreamland Braidy cosplay-wise here ^_^
I've still quite a bit to do (more embroidery for the cloak, tunic and belt; doing something about shoes; decorate the cloak buttons; hemming the cloak edges; ALL the belt things…… yeah, there's a fair amount to get done), but at least to my eyes, it looks like it's getting there :3
I'm not a professional cosplayer, so don't expect anything up to THAT standard (heck, everything is hand sewn because I don't have access to a sewing machine!), but hopefully some people will think it's good enough, and maybe it will get people inspired to work on their own cosplay efforts as well ;D

Also, thank you to Piney for creating that lovely Braidy outfit breakdown ^_^ It really helped out a lot

This is soooo coooool! That's an amazing wig and I cannot believe you handsewed that. That is true dedication and really really impressive! You look great!
YEET

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2015, 06:49:03 PM »

Oh, you're welcome! (I was wondering if you'd referenced it, heh) Quite impressive, being hand-sewn! I do suspect I'll have to make a cosplay that way in the future...

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2015, 08:29:40 PM »
Gwenno: handsewn!? Holy wow that's dedication! Definitely looks like Braidy in dreamland and no need for modesty, I say that's an impressive amount of work done already!

(Please keep posting photos as you get more parts finished, I promise to not use a creepy amount of exclamation marks again.)
Ah, but I am unfortunately far too British to post any of my own work without smothering it in layers of modesty :P but thank you for the kind words anyway (seriously thank you so much ^_^ when people say such nice things it really makes the work feel appreciated and motivates me to keep at it). Anyway, I'll be sure to post more pictures once I feel there's been enough progress to do so, and don't worry about creepy exclamation marks, my friends ask me if there's anything wrong whenever we message and my sentences don't end like this!!!  ;D

braidy is real
Haha, if only!!! But that is a lovely thing to say  :) thank you.

This is soooo coooool! That's an amazing wig and I cannot believe you handsewed that. That is true dedication and really really impressive! You look great!
*is blushing furiously because there are too many nice things being said* Actually this is my first time wearing a wig, and I was pretty worried I couldn't get it to look right, so I'm especially glad that you think it looks fine ^_^

Oh, you're welcome! (I was wondering if you'd referenced it, heh) Quite impressive, being hand-sewn! I do suspect I'll have to make a cosplay that way in the future...
Haha, I could gush for hours on how useful those pictures were, and how much more difficult creating the costume would have been without them, but for now I'll just have to settle on "Thank you for your awesomeness Piney!". And please do show your cosplay pictures when you've done some work on it. If they're anything close to the standard of the art you create we'll have a lot to look forwards to I'm sure  ;D (also, 'hand sewing high five' for your future endeavour!)
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

Roleplay doc

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2015, 08:59:44 PM »
Haha, I could gush for hours on how useful those pictures were, and how much more difficult creating the costume would have been without them, but for now I'll just have to settle on "Thank you for your awesomeness Piney!". And please do show your cosplay pictures when you've done some work on it. If they're anything close to the standard of the art you create we'll have a lot to look forwards to I'm sure  ;D (also, 'hand sewing high five' for your future endeavour!)

If that tutorial is the mark I left on this fandom, then I'm okay with that. :)
I was planning to post pictures once I have something. So far all I have is a black turtleneck, I don't even know where to start for the coat... but I'll get there! Although, I'm really an arts person, not a crafts person - and not exactly a natural at working with fabric :P

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2015, 09:10:44 PM »
Me and a couple of my friends will be sewing (machine, not by hand, because we are lazy and also very impatient) the uniform coats of Sigrun, Lalli, Emil, and Braidy at some point so expect lots of progress pictures in the vague and nebulous future.

*is blushing furiously because there are too many nice things being said* Actually this is my first time wearing a wig, and I was pretty worried I couldn't get it to look right, so I'm especially glad that you think it looks fine ^_^

Ehe, as a proud owner of ~20 wigs, you look great (and also like I said that's a really cute wig and it's so Braidy and adorable!)
YEET

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2015, 11:21:03 PM »
You guys, so cute, I can't even. Curry, that wig is awesome,don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Just say nice things to it and the baby braid will be sure to grow into a majestic Reynir braid some day!

I can't wait to see the final outfits when you guys are all done!
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2015, 11:36:28 PM »
You guys, so cute, I can't even. Curry, that wig is awesome,don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Just say nice things to it and the baby braid will be sure to grow into a majestic Reynir braid some day!

I can't wait to see the final outfits when you guys are all done!

oh man but the thing is it is horrible. I got it from my friend who half brushed it out then boiled it (why) and it was Party City to begin with?? however me and freddiethefantastic are looking for a Proper Reynir Wig and she said that she found one that was like 150cm so. expect beautiful braidy pictures from both of us (and perhaps a cosplay video, not like we've already planned it out or anything pfftsch)
YEET