Author Topic: Silent World: fanmade TTRPG  (Read 2015 times)

Krishahl

• Super-Newbie
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
Silent World: fanmade TTRPG
« on: November 07, 2021, 07:06:06 AM »
Hello friends. I'm an amateur hobbyist tabletop game designer and long-time fan of SSSS. I started reading roughly... oof, 6 or so years ago? Anyhow, I have a problem: when I'm inspired, I cannot stop myself from making things... And so, I'm working on a TTRPG for Stand Still, Stay Silent. I have a further problem however: I am... let's say an "obligate collaborator." I can generally form ideas and make stuff, but quite often I need at least one other person (or more) to work with me, to talk and refine ideas, or at least to keep me motivated. That's why I'm making this post now, during development. It's still in its very early stages, but I already have a lot of ideas and a lot of work done, so I'm happy to receive input!

I was not previously aware of City of Hunger, but I can't stop myself from making what I do. In any case, I'm on Discord where I do most of my collaborative work. I'm happy to discuss things there! Here's the link to the doc! (mobile users, please use print layout. It's far from finished, please read posts below for more info)

Please don't steal my work or take parts of it and make something very similar before I do. I'm a bit insecure about being redundant like that.

The general premise of the system is one with more narrative/survival focus and less combat focus than your typical dungeon crawler. It will be a dice pool system, and each character will pick 2 Professions (sort of their "classes") to derive abilities from. Professions will specialize in either Tactical abilities - abilities used in the moment during combat or exploration - or Downtime abilities - powerful support abilities which usually require a long period of time to perform. A balance of both is the key to success. Combat will be very dangerous, and advisable to avoid.

In case you missed it, here's the link to the google doc (mobile users, use print layout): Silent World RPG
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 09:26:10 PM by Krishahl »

uktoer

• Super-Newbie
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
Re: Silent World: fanmade TTRPG
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 02:31:00 PM »
The idea is very interesting! I'd really like to help somehow, but I also understand that I don't have the time and/or energy to do it... But I'll definitely watch the making process from the side  and, probably, provide some quiet emotional support.
тише воды ниже травы

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 08:56:33 PM »
Professions will specialize in either Tactical abilities - abilities used in the moment during combat or exploration - or Downtime abilities - powerful support abilities which usually require a long period of time to perform. A balance of both is the key to success. Combat will be very dangerous, and advisable to avoid.

I have no experience at all in the design end and very little in the playing end of such things; but I will say that I very much like those ideas. If I understand correctly what you mean by Downtime abilities, it seems rare to give them the respect they deserve, and to acknowledge their necessity even in those situations in which it's necessary to also be prepared for combat.

Krishahl

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 04:18:08 AM »
I have no experience at all in the design end and very little in the playing end of such things; but I will say that I very much like those ideas. If I understand correctly what you mean by Downtime abilities, it seems rare to give them the respect they deserve, and to acknowledge their necessity even in those situations in which it's necessary to also be prepared for combat.

Yeah! Like Medics doing major healing, icelandic mages making runes, scholars doing research, etc.

thorny

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 10:12:39 AM »
And, I would hope, people making and repairing equipment, making and repairing clothes, processing and growing food, and so on.

Krishahl

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 06:29:02 PM »
And, I would hope, people making and repairing equipment, making and repairing clothes, processing and growing food, and so on.

It wasn't an exhaustive list. Here's the list of professions:
Tactical/Active -
Hunter (soldier type)
Scout
Cleanser
Noita
Support/Downtime -
Medic
Scholar (Skald is included in this profession)
Mechanic
Captain
Seiðkona/Seiðkarl

Of course there are also individual skills. Professions are the source of specific abilities with complex effects, while skills (such as crafting, scavenging, animal handling, driving, etc.) are mostly just used to make attempts at general tasks. Sometimes there is a bit of crossover between skills and professions (there is a skill for weapon usage that everyone has access to, while Hunters have specific powerful combat abilities, and Meidicine is a skill for treating wounds in the field but the Medic profession has more powerful restorative abilities - everyone can swing a sword or apply a plaster, but mastery is what makes the difference with a profession)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 09:27:06 PM by Krishahl »

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 02:38:33 AM »
May I offer a couple of suggestions?

I too think a crew would need a maintenance person in addition to the mechanic. Think of everything Mikkel does in Adventure 1. Their gear will require constant work. Clothing gets torn even when just exploring derelict buildings without any contact. And it has to be in good shape because it’s also protective. Our canon team in A1 was on a shoestring budget, a better equipped crew might have room for more changes of clothing etc but as they have only what they can bring, there is a constant need of restorative work.

Their tech level dictates that food has to be cooked daily. Ok, assuming their vehicle has unlimited battery, cooking doesn’t necessarily have to happen on open fire (building of which requires collecting firewood) but still it’s a thing someone needs to do. Preferably in a way that gets team spirits up rather than down :) These things could be skills and tasks distributed between several persons, but with the tech level we have seen in canon this amounts to a lot of work. Now I know these tasks aren’t usually covered in much detail in role-playing games, I mean the adventurers don’t usually have to set camp very early just to collect firewood :) But using all of this as a present element would create a feel of the tech level and is strongly supported by canon.

Secondly I think there should be an active role of captain. Being able to lead a fight and direct others’ actions is both very important and a skill different from being able to fight. I assume the Captain you have as a downtime role means things such as making decisions about the route and general “ok this is what we’ll do”. This obviously is also needed, but it doesn’t have to be the same person (it could of course be, but that is not the only option). So I would suggest having two separate professions for Captain as a combatant in the Active roles and something else, perhaps just Leader in the downtime list.

How are you planning to do the inventory, i.e. how much equipment will they be able to take and will this be crucial? In adventure 2 they appear to have hammerspace as Mikkel’s backpack just has everything from a tent and cooking utensils to food for six people. And Emil and Sigrun have hammerspace ammo pockets. But I assume you don’t plan to use that. In a situation like in Adventure 1 where the team is equipped at the onset, but will thereafter be largely unable to restock, stretching their resources could be an important and interesting element and plot device. Again supported by canon.

What I’m getting at is that keeping the equipment and resource scarcity fairly realistic could add to the atmosphere and drive home the point of this city is Dead. You may be in Copenhagen (or wherever) but you can’t pick up or buy anything you need.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thorny

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 10:47:22 AM »
Maybe "quartermaster" as one of the downtime professions?

Krishahl

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 10:57:36 AM »
May I offer a couple of suggestions?

I too think a crew would need a maintenance person in addition to the mechanic. Think of everything Mikkel does in Adventure 1. Their gear will require constant work. Clothing gets torn even when just exploring derelict buildings without any contact. And it has to be in good shape because it’s also protective. Our canon team in A1 was on a shoestring budget, a better equipped crew might have room for more changes of clothing etc but as they have only what they can bring, there is a constant need of restorative work.

Their tech level dictates that food has to be cooked daily. Ok, assuming their vehicle has unlimited battery, cooking doesn’t necessarily have to happen on open fire (building of which requires collecting firewood) but still it’s a thing someone needs to do. Preferably in a way that gets team spirits up rather than down :) These things could be skills and tasks distributed between several persons, but with the tech level we have seen in canon this amounts to a lot of work. Now I know these tasks aren’t usually covered in much detail in role-playing games, I mean the adventurers don’t usually have to set camp very early just to collect firewood :) But using all of this as a present element would create a feel of the tech level and is strongly supported by canon.

I welcome suggestions! Firstly, yes, you are absolutely right. Many games do not confront the issue of camp and sustenance for various reasons. Both as a survival game and due to various mechanical considerations, Silent World does include a camping system and various related components. The gathering of resources, maintenance of equipment, and provision of sustenance are all intended features and primarily will be represented through the usage of Skills where there are not specific abilities to do so. Scavenging, Crafting, and Mechanics are all independent skills, allowing characters who have not devoted their lives and study to things such as being a Mechanic to still perform some of their functions. Most people can learn how to replace a spark plug or mend a carburetor, even if a Mechanic is on an entire level beyond. Morale and sanity are also systems to be accounted for, as well as crafting gear. Durability as a mechanic is not something I'm fully decided on, but it is something I'm considering and I already have a few components that would work for such a system.

Secondly I think there should be an active role of captain. Being able to lead a fight and direct others’ actions is both very important and a skill different from being able to fight. I assume the Captain you have as a downtime role means things such as making decisions about the route and general “ok this is what we’ll do”. This obviously is also needed, but it doesn’t have to be the same person (it could of course be, but that is not the only option). So I would suggest having two separate professions for Captain as a combatant in the Active roles and something else, perhaps just Leader in the downtime list.

So there is a slight misunderstanding here. Firstly, professions are not directly categorized as "Active or Support." Each Profession has an inherent ability, one they have from the moment they are created. This ability is typically quite powerful but also core to a lot of their later abilities. The Captain's inherent ability is Coordinate, which allows them to basically put their crewmembers into groups which share certain skill levels (paraphrasing: while working with your assigned group, you may use the level of the specified skill of a group member as if it were your own) but they do also have tactical abilities to coordinate during active periods. Basically all professions will have active abilities, and sometimes even Downtime abilities, but some professions have a Downtime ability at their core, while others excell at active actions. A Scholar may be able to quickly suss out where the vault of the seed bank is hidden, but mostly does their work studying at camp, while a Hunter can do a lot in an active combat or survival situation but all they can do back at camp is mostly stand guard. And of course don't forget, all explorers have 2 professions, and while it's not required, having one active and one support profession is advisable.

How are you planning to do the inventory, i.e. how much equipment will they be able to take and will this be crucial? In adventure 2 they appear to have hammerspace as Mikkel’s backpack just has everything from a tent and cooking utensils to food for six people. And Emil and Sigrun have hammerspace ammo pockets. But I assume you don’t plan to use that. In a situation like in Adventure 1 where the team is equipped at the onset, but will thereafter be largely unable to restock, stretching their resources could be an important and interesting element and plot device. Again supported by canon.

What I’m getting at is that keeping the equipment and resource scarcity fairly realistic could add to the atmosphere and drive home the point of this city is Dead. You may be in Copenhagen (or wherever) but you can’t pick up or buy anything you need.

Equipment management will absolutely be a factor. In some cases, specific things will be grouped together as kits (a cooking kit which will include utensils as well as vessels) but managing equipment load is something to be mindful of. Carrying capacity is generally a combined function of an explorer's Strength and Endurance (that is, Strength and Endurance are two of six core stats, which are added together to give an explorer's carrying capacity) but can be augmented by certain factors such as equipment. Cattanks are also not a given, only some expedition crews have them. Resources beyond survival goods and materials are also a factor - access to a mobile shelter, a boat, or a base back home that can provide support are further considerations of the resources a crew has access to. That said, a vehicle like the Cattank will have effectively "infinite carrying capacity" with the size of objects being more an issue than the weight.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 11:04:05 AM by Krishahl »

Krishahl

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 09:22:36 PM »
So a couple of the friends who've been helping me work on it have encouraged me to stop being worried and share what I have so... here it is!

Some things to note:
- mobile users should view in print layout
- it is far from complete and the formatting is mostly placeholder, but I still like to try

I have a lot of additional stuff planned that I haven't done yet, such as:
- the other professions
- more abilities for the professions I have (ideally 10 plus their inherent ability per profession)
- general Abilities that anyone can take regardless of profession (including immunity; the free abilities a profession grants on character creation are general abilities)
- details on how combat works
- status conditions and details on how infection works
- equipment lists
- enemy creation system

Current to-do:
- Figure out more abilities for Medic (mainly tactical abilities that aren't "heal x damage")
- figure out more abilities for the other professions (especially Cleanser)
- figure out the basics of the rest of the professions