Author Topic: The Forum's Scriptorium  (Read 87756 times)

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
Re: The Forum's Scriptorium
« Reply #165 on: August 11, 2016, 11:59:48 PM »

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #166 on: August 12, 2016, 08:08:48 PM »
The End, for now.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2016, 09:38:53 AM »
LooNEY: I have been greatly entertained by your symbolic stories, and look forward to the next thing you write!

Meanwhile, our writer's group has been playing with some interesting challenges. We take turns to suggest themes, topics or styles. Our last one, suggested by our young writer of horror stories, was to write something, in any form, addressing the question: 'Who is dancing, and why is someone else tapping their feet?' This was my take on it:

The child is dancing to music in her head.
She dips and slides, balancing in the warm air,
Buoyed by the breeze that flicks the heads of grass
And makes the cloudpuffs scatter across the sky.

The child is dancing alone with a soft smile
Bowing to her airy partners, clasping hands
And releasing them, clasping and releasing
As she weaves her way down the waiting line of air.

Her mother smiles the same soft smile and watches
Remembering her own dances in Spring
On the new soft grass, or under the leaves in Summer,
Or under the Winter moon in a crackling frost.

Her body tingles with memory of the dancers.
Her foot taps time with the whispering pipes of the air.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Oscar Leigh

• Likes to think he's smart
  • Preferred pronouns: He, him.
« Reply #168 on: August 18, 2016, 08:53:38 AM »
Nice poem Roi!
Um, what are the rules around posting content here? Would it be rude to put the content straight into a post here even if it's decently sized? Everyone's always linking, but I'm not sure I want a profile somewhere else just to write some fanfictions here.

Róisín

« Reply #169 on: August 18, 2016, 09:14:31 AM »
Glad you like it!

I know long stuff is meant to be posted under a spoiler, but I've never been able to make it work. Possibly LooNEY or one of the other writers could explain how to do it? Also, fanfiction specifically for Minna's comics goes in the Scriptorium on the main board for SSSS, or for A Redtail's Dream goes in the Scriptorium on that board. The Forum Scriptorium is meant for posting writing not connected to either comic. There is also the Poetry thread on the main board, for SSSS related poetry (such as turns up in the comments).

Looking forward to seeing what you write!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #170 on: August 18, 2016, 09:24:14 AM »
Nice poem Roi!
Um, what are the rules around posting content here? Would it be rude to put the content straight into a post here even if it's decently sized? Everyone's always linking, but I'm not sure I want a profile somewhere else just to write some fanfictions here.
Glad you like it!

I know long stuff is meant to be posted under a spoiler, but I've never been able to make it work. Possibly LooNEY or one of the other writers could explain how to do it? Also, fanfiction specifically for Minna's comics goes in the Scriptorium on the main board for SSSS, or for A Redtail's Dream goes in the Scriptorium on that board. The Forum Scriptorium is meant for posting writing not connected to either comic. There is also the Poetry thread on the main board, for SSSS related poetry (such as turns up in the comments).

Looking forward to seeing what you write!
Aside from stuff mentioned in this thread's OP, go to town. The spoiler button is right next to the YouTube button, near the huge mass of emojis; they're not mandatory, but they are polite for long posts.

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #171 on: August 18, 2016, 09:47:58 AM »
Nice poem Roi!

I don't think anybody would mind much, provided you spoiler the post if it gets long. People link for a variety of reasons, but it's an individual decision.
Aaand as long as you put SSSS/aRTD fanfic in the appropriate threads, it's fine.

Aside from stuff mentioned in this thread's OP, go to town. The spoiler button is right next to the YouTube button, near the huge mass of emojis; they're not mandatory, but they are polite for long posts.

In addition to the button, one could always type the spoiler code in manually, like so -

Code: [Select]
[spoiler]
(text of story goes here)
[/spoiler]

I generally prefer to do that rather than fiddle with all this fussy rich text business. ;V
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Rhynerd

• Ranger
  • Positively Rhynerdy!
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2016, 10:55:18 PM »
Would this be the best place for me to share some of the other things I worked on so far for the sake of writing classes?
Or would it be better for me to share the short stories and writings of others?
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:
This fellow here Is responsible for my current avatar.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #173 on: August 23, 2016, 12:01:59 AM »
Would this be the best place for me to share some of the other things I worked on so far for the sake of writing classes?
That's what this thread's for.
Or would it be better for me to share the short stories and writings of others?
For those, we have threads entitled 'Share your favourite poems' and 'Books!'. Go to town there.

Rhynerd

• Ranger
  • Positively Rhynerdy!
« Reply #174 on: August 23, 2016, 12:29:20 AM »
Duly Noted!
In that case allow me to provide a poem I made in the middle of a paper for a writing class.The subject of the paper was about defamiliarization and I had to provide an example of it in the paper. Since the day before I had to work on making sonnets for another class, I decided to just make a sonnet for one of the pages.

The preceding paragraph can be read here:
Spoiler: show
Video games themselves can also be defamiliarized. Their requirement of subtle movements of fingers and thumbs can be twisted to as many lines as the actions can be translated into. The requirement for players to take on a persona in certain games allows for some creative metaphors to be made, such as calling a multiplayer match a masquerade party. The violence in some of them can be taken with light-hearted reference or as a fine opportunity for gruesome imagery. It also wouldn’t be too hard to make an alien out of a secondary market or two. The games can even do this themselves if the code is loaded with enough bugs waiting to fire off. Some of the clear dissonances are fine tools for the right writer. Heck, why not include an attempted sonnet with some of these ideas right now?

While the poem can be read here:
Spoiler: show
Melee Only
A swish of the thumbs bring the puppet around,
On a stage of triangles and paints. One figure
Makes a button press, their voice defying
The veil of the masquerade. He gives a wish
 For joy and fortune, as others check their props.
The sirens start the party with a rush,
The cast draws knives for sport,
Blades flashing off light emitters, swinging
With madness, staining bytes sanguine.
No cut could be so clean, no sign
Of mortality until a player falls,
And takes his own place elsewhere.
Each mark cleans itself, the world
Even forgets itself after a while.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #175 on: September 18, 2016, 12:17:17 AM »
I'm posting here as an assessment of interest (or, more probably, lack thereof): Would anyone like me to start posting (links to) two "ghostly" love stories I've been contemplating for some time?
or
If I posted said links, would readers mind critiquing/commenting on the stories?
So, after all this time, I'm finally posting the first link

Róisín

« Reply #176 on: September 19, 2016, 01:13:47 AM »
The Colin and Katie one looks interesting. I wonder which is the ghost? Or are they both?

Rhynerd

• Ranger
  • Positively Rhynerdy!
« Reply #177 on: September 19, 2016, 09:39:04 PM »
Pardon me, but what would be the best way to get some of my writings online? I recently did a short story (or well, two drafts of a short story), and I'd have to say that I'm considering sharing them.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #178 on: September 19, 2016, 09:48:43 PM »
Pardon me, but what would be the best way to get some of my writings online? I recently did a short story (or well, two drafts of a short story), and I'd have to say that I'm considering sharing them.

If you have access to GoogleDocs, you could always dump it into a writing file there, set the view to public, and post the link here. It's not elegant, but it's good for sharing drafts.

Or you could upload it to a site. FictionPress is the original fiction equivalent of Fanfiction.net; I haven't used it in years, so I'm not sure how easy it is to upload/edit things there. DeviantArt also allows uploads of original fiction.

Or you could make a blog and post it there, like on Tumblr or Livejournal or Dreamwidth (I use DW, personally).
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #179 on: September 19, 2016, 09:55:11 PM »
If you have access to GoogleDocs, you could always dump it into a writing file there, set the view to public, and post the link here. It's not elegant, but it's good for sharing drafts.

Or you could upload it to a site. FictionPress is the original fiction equivalent of Fanfiction.net; I haven't used it in years, so I'm not sure how easy it is to upload/edit things there. DeviantArt also allows uploads of original fiction.

Or you could make a blog and post it there, like on Tumblr or Livejournal or Dreamwidth (I use DW, personally).

I would also recommend Archive of Our Own, as well. I use that for uploading stuff and it's pretty good.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race