Author Topic: TV and Movie Thread  (Read 33302 times)

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
Re: TV and Movie Thread
« Reply #195 on: March 09, 2020, 11:43:11 AM »
I only just realized it when I was reading his filmography, as I remembered I’d seen him somewhere and therefore had been remembering Quark.

Have you watched The Orville? It’s great :)
I've watched The Orville and I like it, a lot, although the right balance between SF and Comedy is hard to reach. But I'm looking forward for the next season.

My husband is currently watching his way through The Expanse. Good science fiction, from the bits and scraps I have caught so far, but I haven’t as much time as I would wish for viewing anything. This looks as though it might be worth making time for when I can. Has anyone else watched it?
I'm currently watching the 4th season and The Expanse is very good. I'd say that's the best SF that you can watch right now. Real Physics  O_O , an interesting story, good acting (where Shohreh Aghdashloo stands out, IMHO, "stealing" every scene where she shows) and amazing views of space, planets and ships.

There's two things, however, whose absence is hard to explain if you consider a story hundreds of years in the future: robots (and I don't mean androids but mobile working machines to help people and do repetitive and/or uninteresting tasks) and AI (humans as pilots and gunners of spaceships in battle? Come on!)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #196 on: May 06, 2020, 05:24:28 PM »
Something I've been wanting to put on here for a while iiis: a superb movies called The Humpbacked Horse"!! It's an old Soviet fairy tale that's gorgeously animated, has an amazing, fantastical story, and a beautiful soundtrack. And the whole movie is available on YouTube (i'm guessing it's so old that copyrighting isn't a problem??)! Part of the reason I love it so much is that I've grown up with it and it's a staple of my childhood. Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend it, and if anyone watches it/has seen it already they are more than welcome to PM and enthuse about it with me!!!
Link:
/>
Also, there's many other random fairytale movies like this that I've watched, so I might come back to this thread in the future
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Yastreb

• May her brightness be among the stars.
"Counterpart" (TV series)
« Reply #197 on: September 12, 2020, 06:57:56 AM »
Last year my sister introduced me to the series Counterpart, which ran for two seasons and was a gripping and well-plotted political/science fiction thriller. It resonates now for reasons that I'll take to spoilers, as it's well worth watching.

Spoiler: show
The plot involves parallel dimensions - two timelines in Earth history that were became connected (or possibly one branched off from the other) by an experimental device in 1980s East Germany. The timelines ran identically before the first contact, but events in one reality took a different path in the 1990s, with a global influenza pandemic that killed hundreds of millions.
One scene in series 1 (I think episode 4) has the main protagonist, Howard Silk (J. K. Simmons) visit the alternate timeline, and straightaway he notices how the locals are practising social distancing (a term not used in the show, I should add) and using public hand sanitisers as a matter of course. What amazed me is that I didn't think about the show before today; my sister was equally astonished that it hadn't occurred to her either.[/size]
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: "Counterpart" (TV series)
« Reply #198 on: September 12, 2020, 09:46:59 AM »
I had never heard of that show before. If your sister likes it, it is probably interesting. I will ask Star if he can find it for me, since I hardly ever watch TV (Gardening Australia once a week is about it for me.). 
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
Re: "Counterpart" (TV series)
« Reply #199 on: September 12, 2020, 11:17:25 AM »
My father would watch the Jeremiah series when I was younger. It's set fifteen years after a plague kills everyone older the puberty age. One of the few things I remember from it are the travelling protagonists run into a community that super-dogmatic about its social distancing to the point that someone extends a branch to help a child who fell back up and a woman who hugged her sick daughter went misssing soon after.
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #200 on: December 08, 2020, 12:56:22 PM »
For those of you that have Netflix, The Barrier, which I finished just a few minutes ago, might be right up your alley.

Most of the story happens in 2045, in an alternate reality where World War III broke out on top of a deadly pandemic in 2020, and Spain became (along with other countries) an oppressive dictatorship.
In the brief glimpse of 2020 we see, a father implants each his young twin daughters with a subcutaneous chip of unknown nature before being taken away from his home by the army.

Twenty-five years later, one of the twins has recently died of the noravirus (the disease that accidentally became covid's fictional counterpart between production and international release), leaving a husband and a daughter (who had inherited her chip) behind. Both of them move to Madrid to join the surviving twin and the twin's mother, claiming that the little girl's mother will be joining them soon at checkpoints. The little girl tests positive for a blood test given to new entrants and is taken away. Her father is told that it's because he's unemployed and that he needs to find a job to get her back. It just so happens that the twin's mother used to date Spain's current Minister of Health, so she calls him to find a job for her son-in-law. During the job interview, it turns out that the house servant job opening is meant for a married couple. To complicate things more, the surving twin has recently killed someone important in self-defense, her boyfriend is taking the steps for the two of them to leave the country as all this is happening, and she hasn't told what happened to anyone else. And, cherry on the cake, the little girl was actually taken to place researching a cure for the noravirus. The place's director is the Minister of Health's wife.

There was sloppy writing here and there (and one who doesn't like too much reliance on coincidences and last-possible-second timing may get tired of it quickly), but it did enough right to want me to see the next episode each time.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 02:48:05 PM by Grade E cat »

Quetanto

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: He, him, his
« Reply #201 on: December 20, 2020, 06:01:07 PM »
Anyone else watch Darkwing Duck around here?
🇨🇦 🇹🇷 Native
🇫🇷 Fluent (somewhat rusty)
🇮🇹 🇬🇷 🇯🇵 🇫🇮 🇭🇰 🇮🇳 Picking it up as I go along
(No symbols for Latin, Ancient Greek, or Inuktitut…)
:book2::book3::book4:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #202 on: December 21, 2020, 09:01:33 AM »
Anyone else watch Darkwing Duck around here?
... quite a while ago. If the German dubbing on that one was as bad as it usually is, the English version would probably need to be played at half speed to get all the puns ... :3

(The nitpicker in me, however, still wants to know how he can effectively roll that cape entirely around himself and then still reach out with his arm. 8) )
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Yastreb

• May her brightness be among the stars.
« Reply #203 on: December 21, 2020, 11:00:01 PM »
My sister has introduced me to another good TV series; a Norwegian thriller, Occupied. The series is set in the near future, with the following plot points.
* The US is now self-sufficient in energy
* Crises in the Middle East have disrupted oil production
* Norway has elected a government with strong Green credentials, which has closed down North Sea oil production and turned its attention to new energy sources. The EU, with no other source for oil and gas, is unhappy with this decision.

What happens is that the Norwegian Prime Minister is kidnapped, and then released, not long before Russian forces* take over major Norwegian oil and gas platforms, apparently at the behest of the EU. After that... I'll say no more, except to add that it's on Netflix.

* I was pleased to note that in a scene where Russian helicopters are hovering over an oil platform, two of them are Kamov Ka-50 Black Shark gunships (CGI-rendered), not simply Any Old Choppers with red stars painted on them. I like that attention to detail.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 01:51:06 AM by Yastreb »
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #204 on: December 22, 2020, 01:41:27 AM »
I've been wondering about Occupied. It was suggested to me after I finsished The Barrier. However, I also noticed the latter didn't have a TV tropes page after I finished it, so now I'm basically slowly re-watching the whole thing.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 03:42:35 AM by Grade E cat »

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #205 on: August 05, 2022, 08:25:53 AM »
[Practices necromancy to revive the thread. It rises, unsteady, trembling. Lightning crosses the sky]

Just dropping by to tell anyone that might be interested I just watched the first episode of "Sandman" on Netflix and it's awesome!

(Yet be careful because it has a few violent moments. Nothing that will give you nightmares... I hope.)

(Being a huge Gaiman fan surely does not create any bias on my opinion, right?) ;)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

dmeck7755

« Reply #206 on: August 05, 2022, 10:02:05 AM »
[Practices necromancy to revive the thread. It rises, unsteady, trembling. Lightning crosses the sky]

Just dropping by to tell anyone that might be interested I just watched the first episode of "Sandman" on Netflix and it's awesome!

(Yet be careful because it has a few violent moments. Nothing that will give you nightmares... I hope.)

(Being a huge Gaiman fan surely does not create any bias on my opinion, right?) ;)

I have only read the book American gods.  I hated what they did to it for the TV.  So if they are doing a good job that is a very rare thing indeed.
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #207 on: August 05, 2022, 10:56:56 AM »
I have only read the book American gods.  I hated what they did to it for the TV.  So if they are doing a good job that is a very rare thing indeed.
Well, it says a lot that I wasn't interested enough to watch American Gods beyond the middle of the first season... Even if I'm willing to give another try in the future.

Anyway there's allways a gap between books and movies/series. I don't recall any case of the later surpassing the original. LOTR came close, but the books are still better.

In Sandman's case I have the "advantage" of not having read the source material, so I can't (yet) find the problems. :)

dmeck7755

« Reply #208 on: August 05, 2022, 03:02:58 PM »
Well, it says a lot that I wasn't interested enough to watch American Gods beyond the middle of the first season... Even if I'm willing to give another try in the future.

Anyway there's allways a gap between books and movies/series. I don't recall any case of the later surpassing the original. LOTR came close, but the books are still better.

In Sandman's case I have the "advantage" of not having read the source material, so I can't (yet) find the problems. :)

You are correct about LOTR, but in my opinion the Hobbit is something else....I hated that they tried to make 3 movies out of it...

"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #209 on: August 05, 2022, 03:06:46 PM »
Dmeck, I’m sure you are not alone in your opinion about the LoTR vs Hobbit films. Horrible, horrible what they did on the latter!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.