Author Topic: Sharing books not written in english  (Read 4617 times)

Yannick

Sharing books not written in english
« on: November 23, 2014, 07:42:22 PM »
Hello,
I know there is already a book topic http://ssssforum.pcriot.com/index.php?topic=172.0
but the books I offer to let you discover here have never been translated in english, so you need to read them in their native language.

Being french, I will start with one of my favorite french author, not yet translated:
Roland C. Wagner
a list of his books
kindle editions

I want to write more but, even in french, it is quite hard to define his work (I could try steampunk, Hippie SF, a little crazy, strange and colorfull)
so today I will only add a link to this
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 08:07:03 PM by Yannick »
Whatever is created by the spirit is more alive than matter. Charles Baudelaire 1867

:france: 99%  -  :uk: 70%  -   :spain: 30%

Revontulet

Re: Sharing books not written in english
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 08:03:20 PM »

I know you said these books shouldn't have been translated to English, but most of the ones I've read have been, but it's still fun to read books in their native language, or in the case of one I have suggested below, in one of THE native languages of humanity.

A really good German book that has also been published in English is Die Bücherdiebin( the Book Thief) by Marcus Zusak.  A movie was also made, which I would presume is available in German.

Also, if you wanted to brush up on your Latin, you could read the popular Latin translation of Winnie the Pooh(Winnie Ille Puh).

In Italian, I recommend "Century: L'anello di Fuoco" by Pierdomenico Baccalario.  It's a sci-if book.
Fluent:Italian and English Near fluent: Spanish and Latin. Learning: Dutch, German, and Swedish. Can barely make out: Russian

Yannick

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 08:18:23 PM »
no problem  :)
I made this topic as I regret all the books I never could read as they were never translated.
By example, Tais Teng has written more than 100 books, but only one was ever translated in French.
http://taisteng.atspace.com/
Whatever is created by the spirit is more alive than matter. Charles Baudelaire 1867

:france: 99%  -  :uk: 70%  -   :spain: 30%

tedlar

• you're old when you start to choose your battles
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 06:03:32 AM »
you can never guess if a book will be translated.

here are some covers of japaneses translations of books I like

The last French book I read is Omale by Laurent Genefort
:uk: / :france:

SinkTheBismarck

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 01:23:31 PM »
I have a lot of pdfs of books in both Dutch and Norwegian, mostly children's books. What's a good way of uploading and making them available online? :)
Fluent:
Decent:
To learn:

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 05:39:53 PM »
Uh, I don't know if they've been translated to English, but the Hyperversum series by Cecilia Randall is nice. Also, I liked Cronache del Mondo Emerso (Licia Troisi - Cronache was my favorite, but she wrote so many books after that trilogy, but  the Mondo Emerso saga and not, a lot of which are not exactly my favorite books, but still cute enough).

Oh, and I don't really know if anyone's interested in Albanian books, but as a child I used to love Odhise Grillo's books, and there's also the ever-intramontable classic "çufo" by someone who I can't remember. Everyone in Albania knows çufo (it's a name, but the keyboard doesn't let me capitalize the 'ç'). It's a children's story, but it's really, really lovely.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 05:47:38 PM »
Also, I liked Cronache del Mondo Emerso (Licia Troisi - Cronache was my favorite, but she wrote so many books after that trilogy, but  the Mondo Emerso saga and not, a lot of which are not exactly my favorite books, but still cute enough).
I read them! (in German, of course, since that was what was in our library, and of course the titles were completely different from the original...)
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

tedlar

• you're old when you start to choose your battles
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 12:10:37 PM »
Uh, I don't know if they've been translated to English, but the Hyperversum series by Cecilia Randall is nice. Also, I liked Cronache del Mondo Emerso (Licia Troisi - Cronache was my favorite, but she wrote so many books after that trilogy, but  the Mondo Emerso saga and not, a lot of which are not exactly my favorite books, but still cute enough).

Oh, and I don't really know if anyone's interested in Albanian books, but as a child I used to love Odhise Grillo's books, and there's also the ever-intramontable classic "çufo" by someone who I can't remember. Everyone in Albania knows çufo (it's a name, but the keyboard doesn't let me capitalize the 'ç'). It's a children's story, but it's really, really lovely.

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperversum
Not translated
Seem nice
I remember reading some others quite similars
Kage_Baker
In the Garden of Iden by Kage_Baker

:uk: / :france:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 08:14:44 PM »

A really good German book that has also been published in English is Die Bücherdiebin( the Book Thief) by Marcus Zusak.  A movie was also made, which I would presume is available in German.

Oh! I read that in English for my literature course :3 (is Zusak Australian?)

The only books I've read that weren't in English were a few Le Petit Nicolas books for French class, and a couple of Tintin comics.
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 07:03:18 AM »
All the deities bless the forum restructuring! I had no idea this thread existed and I've been wanting it since I've learned that the language barrier is a thing!

For those of you who speak Polish (which is probably none of you), I'd love to recommend the fantasy series Anielskie Zastępy (Angelic Hosts) by Maja Lidia Kossakowska. It's one of my favorite book series of all time, written by one of my favorite authors, and not being able to share it with everyone is really frustrating. The first book is titled Siewca Wiatru (The Sower of Wind) and the rest you can find from there, I guess.

Spoiler: plot summary • show
The plot is basically that at some point in time, God mysteriously vanished and the leaders of Heaven and Hell have formed a conspiracy to cover it up in order to prevent chaos from breaking out. Meanwhile, the universe is threatened by an anti-God and the angel of destruction, Abaddon, is summoned to deal with it, preferably without revealing that God is gone in the process.

Sorry for the garbage quality of the post, but unfortunately I'm too excited to care to fix it.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 05:44:02 AM »
All the deities bless the forum restructuring! I had no idea this thread existed and I've been wanting it since I've learned that the language barrier is a thing!

For those of you who speak Polish (which is probably none of you), I'd love to recommend the fantasy series Anielskie Zastępy (Angelic Hosts) by Maja Lidia Kossakowska. It's one of my favorite book series of all time, written by one of my favorite authors, and not being able to share it with everyone is really frustrating. The first book is titled Siewca Wiatru (The Sower of Wind) and the rest you can find from there, I guess.

The plot is basically that at some point in time, God mysteriously vanished and the leaders of Heaven and Hell have formed a conspiracy to cover it up in order to prevent chaos from breaking out. Meanwhile, the universe is threatened by an anti-God and the angel of destruction, Abaddon, is summoned to deal with it, preferably without revealing that God is gone in the process.

Sorry for the garbage quality of the post, but unfortunately I'm too excited to care to fix it.
I'm very glad that you like this! There are so many fascinating topics on the Forum... I'm sure we will find many more. :)

The plot is very very interesting, but unfortunately there's no English translation that I could find. :( I hope you find some Polish fellows to talk about it. (I'm not sure but I think there was one more, at least).
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2021, 07:49:16 PM »

I am also excited to see this thread and definitely keeping an eye on it. Thanks for sharing! Would you say this series differs in some way from Western fantasy? This tends to be a major draw for me.

I think there's a lot of value in sharing so-far-untranslated books we're excited about even when few people in the community know the book's original language. "No translation" can change at any moment, especially if it's a successful book. I remember at least one case when I learned about a book that sounded extremely interesting but was in a language that wasn't accessible to me, but I waited and kept looking for it, and a few years later, I can now read it in English! (it was "The Gray House" by Mariam Petrosyan).

Raaffiie

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2021, 11:43:28 AM »
Thea Beckman's Kruistocht in Spijkerbroek (Crusade in Jeans) is a lauded Dutch children's novel and also a book close to my own heart, about a teenager named Rudolf who gets sent to the Middle Ages through a time machine and gets stranded there. He then gets involved in the Children's Crusade of 1212, together with Leonardo Fibonacci whom he saves from a group of highwaymen and who becomes a trusted companion to Rudolf. The majority of the book is about Rudolf travelling alongside the crusade, making great use of his modern-day knowledge to improve the miserable travel conditions, but also learning to adapt to the medieval world.

It does have an English translation, but I'm not sure about the quality of it. I'm very fond of the writing in Dutch at least, as it always felt very sophisticated for something that is considered a children's novel. De Brief voor de Koning (The Letter for the King) by Tonke Dragt is also set in a medieval world and also very lovely in my memory, though I don't actually own that one so I don't remember exactly how it went.
Native: 🇳🇱
Fluent: 🇬🇧
Advanced(last I checked): 🇫🇷
Learning: 🇫🇮, 🇯🇵
Just started: 🇪🇸
Can understand, but terrible at speaking: 🇩🇪

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2021, 12:54:50 PM »
Thea Beckman's Kruistocht in Spijkerbroek (Crusade in Jeans) is a lauded Dutch children's novel and also a book close to my own heart, about a teenager named Rudolf who gets sent to the Middle Ages through a time machine and gets stranded there. He then gets involved in the Children's Crusade of 1212, together with Leonardo Fibonacci whom he saves from a group of highwaymen and who becomes a trusted companion to Rudolf. The majority of the book is about Rudolf travelling alongside the crusade, making great use of his modern-day knowledge to improve the miserable travel conditions, but also learning to adapt to the medieval world.

It does have an English translation, but I'm not sure about the quality of it. I'm very fond of the writing in Dutch at least, as it always felt very sophisticated for something that is considered a children's novel. De Brief voor de Koning (The Letter for the King) by Tonke Dragt is also set in a medieval world and also very lovely in my memory, though I don't actually own that one so I don't remember exactly how it went.
Fun fact, Crusade in Jeans has a Polish translation. I haven't read it, though, I just recognize the title.

Maglor

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2021, 10:36:13 AM »
I'd like to recommend you "The Day Lasts More Than a Hundred Years" by Genghis Aitmatov. Luckily for you there is an english translation for this (ISBN 0-253-11595-7).
It's a bit depressive story about an aging man, recalling his life. It also have a sci-fi subplot for a reason I still can't figure. The main jewel of the story (as I see it) is it's style: lots of repeats, refrains, long frazes that can put you in some sort of trance.
Native: Russian.
Fluent: English.
Understandable: Belorussian and Ukrainian.
A bit: French.