Author Topic: You Know You're an SSSS Addict When...  (Read 253346 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: You Know You're an SSSS Addict When...
« Reply #1695 on: September 24, 2017, 07:33:30 AM »
... you ponder replying to a Disqus comment(*) with a cheap joke, google for "burglar alarms", and half the matches and all the ads are (in English but) pointing to .dk domains (and, where applicable, priced in Danish crowns). O_o

(*) Flyboy's about hanging bells on doors as a magical practice, to be precise. Is Disqus' "Share >" JavaScript magic to obtain a URL to link to suddenly broken for everyone, or just for me?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #1696 on: September 24, 2017, 08:23:12 AM »
You sometimes forget that there is a real-world, present-day definition of "Old World" (e.g. the Europe/Africa/Asia landmass) despite having majored in a field where the Old World / New World (Americas and Oceania) divide is actually relevant.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:48:23 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #1697 on: September 25, 2017, 03:28:32 PM »
That you've considered learning at least one Scandinavian language and have half-heartedly looked into the immigration laws and work availability.

Could just be I'm wanting a change in my life.... Though the little voice of common sense saying moving to Finland would be overkill for change has been awful quiet as of late.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:30:27 PM by Solokov »
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1698 on: September 25, 2017, 07:51:54 PM »
Solokov, at least Finland is serious about its national parks and nature conservation. You might like it!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #1699 on: September 26, 2017, 10:10:22 AM »
As long as it's conservation and not preservation.... the idiots that want to kick all humans out of the woods and saran wrap everything kinda piss me off. It's a natural system, you can't just do that and expect things to be fine, that's precisely why malibu burns down every seven years or so.

*continues on a two page rant about fire ecology and the differences between managed and unmanaged forestry and public opinion basedpolicy on such actions is incredibly stupid, and the incredibly terribly litigation procedures under the NEPA and CEQA processes here in the US*
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Róisín

« Reply #1700 on: September 26, 2017, 10:32:09 AM »
Don't start me on the yuppies having a tree change who want the forest pristine, unharvested, uneaten by critters and totally swamping their houses - until the fire sweeps through, they don't have a safety perimeter or even roof sprinklers, the hugely flammable eucalyptus trees are brushing against their rooves and windows....and then they want the CFS to risk their own lives, and abandon people who have taken precautions, to rescue them. Grrrr!
Have you read John Walmsley on the subject? You might find him interesting.

I mean, I teach bushcraft, wild food foraging and wilderness survival for a living, so I'm sort of attached to the forest, but I know very damn well that we actually *need* our bushfires. A lot of plants here won't even germinate seeds without them. What turns them into deadly burn-everything wildfires is the overgrowth from a combination of feral weeds swamping the area between trees, and the loss to introduced animal pests of most of the small animal life that kept the underbrush down to a level where there were 'cool' fires rather than firestorms like the Sampson Flat and Pinery fires near where I live.

*Adds her own two-page rant about people, including those in charge of this stuff, who don't understand basic fire ecology *

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #1701 on: September 26, 2017, 10:04:08 PM »
What turns them into deadly burn-everything wildfires is the overgrowth from a combination of feral weeds swamping the area between trees, and the loss to introduced animal pests of most of the small animal life that kept the underbrush down to a level where there were 'cool' fires rather than firestorms like the Sampson Flat and Pinery fires near where I live.

Here in WA we have regular controlled burns of the bushland down south to avoid this kind of thing. Every now and then the winds blow the smoke over the city for a few days and people get all upset about it and start commenting about how inconvenient it is, and why can't they do the burn offs when the wind is in the other direction, and how fires are BAD anyway so why are we burning down our forests and killing all the cute possums?

The fact that we'd have disasters like Dwellingup and Yarloop every few years without the burn offs doesn't seem to enter their minds.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Róisín

« Reply #1702 on: September 27, 2017, 03:32:39 AM »
Wyrm: Sometimes you can get fire ecology across to the yuppies by explaining 'firestick farming', because Aboriginal culture is sort of trendoid, but mostly there is just the Ug the Caveman level response of "But Fire Bad!". I remember when Walmsley first started Warrawong Sanctuary, there was a lot of opposition on the grounds of fire safety, because his plantings emulated the local forest as it had been before settlement, which was quite dense. Every few years until the trees got their growth he would do a controlled burn, a 'cool' fire, which kept the underbrush down. Then when enough of an ecology had established to support them he introduced the numerous small marsupials he had been breeding up, bettongs and bandicoots and bilbies, antechinus and hopping mice and the like, as well as the more usual koalas, wombats, quolls, platypus, wallabies and kangaroos. Apart from the quolls which were in enclosures, and platypus in the water, everything else was turned loose to hunt, graze, forage, dig and burrow, as a result of which the underbrush stayed at safe levels.

A few years later, when an unsupervised rubbish fire at Stirling dump got loose and swept across the Hills in a firestorm, the firetruck crews took refuge on Walmsley's place and didn't die, because the fire had swept through, burned the open underbrush, hadn't been hot enough to take on the trees, and died off. All the area around the outside of the sanctuary burned to ashes. His methods became more accepted after that.

CAMIR

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: she
« Reply #1703 on: October 01, 2017, 07:16:21 AM »
... when you go to an International Conference of Scholars for Scandinvavian Studies and recommend the comic to everyone who asked and didn't ask. (Many of them being interested in Scandinavian Sci-Fi and the depiction of magic - bullseye!) I hope it receives scholarly interest that way. If not I write something some time in the future.
Native:
Fluent:
Communication is possible:

PickleChip

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • c[]xxx[]:::::::::::::::>
  • Preferred pronouns: all of them, they're all mine now, i stole them
« Reply #1704 on: October 05, 2017, 04:34:14 AM »
When you're feeling nostalgic and the first thing you do is reread both SSSS ad aRTD.
If I'm both pan and genderfluid, then no matter who I like, it's gay and I think that's beautiful
Fluent: :usa:
Learning: all?
:chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1705 on: October 05, 2017, 06:05:29 PM »
... when you go to an International Conference of Scholars for Scandinvavian Studies and recommend the comic to everyone who asked and didn't ask. (Many of them being interested in Scandinavian Sci-Fi and the depiction of magic - bullseye!) I hope it receives scholarly interest that way. If not I write something some time in the future.

Could you petition your organization to change its name to International Seminar for Scholars in Scandinavian Studies?  Then it would be SSSS!   ;)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1706 on: October 06, 2017, 01:40:05 AM »
When you're feeling nostalgic and the first thing you do is reread both SSSS ad aRTD.

Yeah, I'v done that too many times.... ::) Mostly just with aRTD though.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #1707 on: October 06, 2017, 12:14:44 PM »
You purchase "Zombie Owls" halloween candy for absolutetly no other reason.
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #1708 on: October 21, 2017, 01:58:09 PM »
you automatically write "Rash" with a capital R even when you didn't intend to...
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

PickleChip

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • c[]xxx[]:::::::::::::::>
  • Preferred pronouns: all of them, they're all mine now, i stole them
« Reply #1709 on: November 09, 2017, 02:40:50 AM »
When you use the comic to help your little sister work on reading out loud and accidentally go on tangents about the rash and you're not even past the Prologue
If I'm both pan and genderfluid, then no matter who I like, it's gay and I think that's beautiful
Fluent: :usa:
Learning: all?
:chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: