Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 779016 times)

Gaemmel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #3375 on: October 02, 2017, 04:26:35 AM »
I also have noticed that both the scriptorium and the art museum have been pretty empty lately. I blame the fact that in a lot of countries, the semester/school has just started again.
I'm the left one on the picture.

Fluent: :germany: :uk:
In school I had: :france: :spain:
Some words and phrases: :japan:
Learning: :sweden:

:chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Windfighter

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3376 on: October 02, 2017, 06:05:32 AM »
I also have noticed that both the scriptorium and the art museum have been pretty empty lately. I blame the fact that in a lot of countries, the semester/school has just started again.

Pffff, fine, send me some asks over at Wordfighter and Ill write some short stories I can post here! Already working hard at keeping the art-museum active tho!
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Gaemmel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3377 on: October 02, 2017, 12:23:11 PM »
Pffff, fine, send me some asks over at Wordfighter and Ill write some short stories I can post here! Already working hard at keeping the art-museum active tho!

Our brave hero!
I'm the left one on the picture.

Fluent: :germany: :uk:
In school I had: :france: :spain:
Some words and phrases: :japan:
Learning: :sweden:

:chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3378 on: October 02, 2017, 02:28:38 PM »
If you all dont mind Swedish, have a short story I wrote for the writing circle I attend to. The assignment was to write about someone who was pregnant and didnt like it, but... I kind of failed a little at it. anyway!

Spoiler: have some Swedish! • show
   Direkt när han vaknade visste han att något var fel. Något tryckte i hans mage, magsaften brände hans strupe. Han föll ur sängen, sparkade till Lalli och snubblade in i badrummet. Han hann precis fram till toaletten innan hans mage vände sig ut och in.
   ”Emil?” Lalli gnuggade sömnen ur ögonen och lutade sig mot dörrkarmen. ”Är allt okej?”
   ”Jag vet inte”, Emil lutade sig mot badkaret. ”Jag tror jag är sjuk.”
   Han kände sig inte sjuk, bortsett från illamåendet. Det påminde om när han hade varit magsjuk förra vintern, fast mindre intensivt. Lalli satte sig på huk framför honom och la en hand mot hans panna.
   ”Ingen feber.”
   Emil skakade på huvudet.
   ”Bara spyfärdig.”
   ”Vill du ha något?”
   Emil tänkte efter. Det mesta han kunde komma på gav honom kväljningar, men dät var en sak han hade ett väldigt sug efter.
   ”...kaffe?”
   Lalli höjde ett ögonbryn.
   ”Du dricker inte kaffe.”
   ”Vi får väl ändra på det då.”
   Lalli nickade, reste sig och försvann ut i köket. Emil lutade huvudet mot badkarskanten och slöt ögonen.
   ”Tors åskvigg, låt det inte vara magsjuka igen...”
   Han satt kvar, den brinnande känslan i magen försvann sakta och han drog sig upp på fötter igen, följde Lalli ut i köket och satte sig vid köksbordet. Lalli ställde en kopp kaffe framför honom och Emil drack. Smaken påminde om Mikkels matlagning, men han var tvungen att ha det, han kunde inte sluta förrän han hade tömt koppen.
   ”Bättre?”
   Emil nickade, lutade sig tillbaka och slöt ögonen. Illamåendet var försvunnet, ersatt av en enorm trötthet. Han gäspade och reste sig.
   ”Jag går och lägger mig igen, följer du med?”
   Lalli nickade och de gick tillbaka till sovrummet, kröp ner i sängen. Emil drog sig närmare Lalli, slöt ögonen och log. Vad det än var som hade väckt honom var det i alla fall inte lika illa som magsjuka.
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

CAMIR

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: she
« Reply #3379 on: October 04, 2017, 08:46:22 AM »
...the stupid index is updated in spite of my stupid wireless not cooperating.

(Also, holy crap, the Scriptorium got bumped to the second page?? We need to get writing, pronto!)
I wasn't sure if the thread was only to announce new projects or also to announce an update. That's why I stayed mostly silent.

Windfighter I read the story because it was Swedish (curious how much I would get) and it worked out quite well. While not to keen on the subject of mpreg I liked your subtle take on it and the interaction between those two. (Also fanfics in languages besides English and German are a rare thing. :D )
Native:
Fluent:
Communication is possible:

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #3380 on: October 04, 2017, 08:53:39 AM »
I wasn't sure if the thread was only to announce new projects or also to announce an update. That's why I stayed mostly silent.

If there's a rule against posting updates I've certainly been breaking it, along with pretty much everyone else who's ever had a multichapter project. ::)
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3381 on: October 05, 2017, 08:42:41 AM »
Another short one. Warning for suicide and Tuuri's death as a central theme.

The Other Side

CAMIR

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: she
« Reply #3382 on: October 05, 2017, 11:00:10 AM »
If there's a rule against posting updates I've certainly been breaking it, along with pretty much everyone else who's ever had a multichapter project. ::)
Thanks for the heads-up! Then I can post more in this lovely thread. <3
Native:
Fluent:
Communication is possible:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3383 on: October 05, 2017, 09:36:35 PM »
Alphabet Soup
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic collection
Series 2, Part 18
Complete Links to Complete Links post
Spoiler: Recapitulation • show
“…And then I punched the building so hard it died.” “Onni” was looking positively green by the time Sigrun reached this part of the story. While Emil would have understood if the illusory Finn had looked skeptical—Emil had been there for this story, and he still found it hard to believe that it had actually happened—he was puzzled by how this “Onni”, supposedly a mage of far greater power and experience than the Lalli who had done things right in front of Emil even more unbelievable than the story Sigrun was just finishing up, could be so outright terrified by a tale of derring-do that “he” looked like “he” was about to faint.

In stark opposition to “Onni’s” transparent fear, “Tuuri” was gazing up at Sigrun like their leader had hung the moon. This, of course, was not unusual behavior for “Tuuri” either before or after the (Emil gulped at the thought of it, even now) divine revelation that “she” and “Onni” were both magical constructs—illusions born of an orphaned Lalli’s need for family members to have survived the terrible tragedy of his childhood along with him, though today “Tuuri” was hanging on Sigrun’s every word even more intently than usual, which was why “she” missed when “Onni’s” eyes rolled up so that only the whites were showing and “he” silently toppled backwards.

The kitten Emil had rescued stayed by Lalli’s side as the others fussed over “Onni”. The advent of “Onni” had sent Lalli into a slumber almost as deep as when he’d had to invoke his luonto to fight off the murderghosts Mikkel had brought back with him on his excursion to Kastellet; fortunately, “Onni” had been able to convince Emil that Lalli was in no danger this time.

Reynir heard a slightly different story when he went to see Lalli in the Finn’s dreamspace a few moments later. Lalli was resting idly on his little raft, and seemed much less irked at Reynir’s intrusion than he had before. Soon, Reynir found out why.

“…And with all of us here, It is much more likely to come after us,” Lalli finished. “We must be even more vigilant against It than against the Death Shades.”

“But they haven’t gone away either,” Reynir protested. “Do you think they and this ‘It’ will make common cause?”

Lalli shuddered visibly at the thought, but shook his head after a moment’s consideration. “At best, It and they will fight each other; at worst, It and they will leave each other be, knowing successive attacks might succeed. The leader of the Death Shades would want dominion over It, and It dominion over the Death Shades, so an alliance will not eventuate.” As ever, Lalli spoke in “Tuuri’s” voice when delivering an analysis; Reynir wondered what effect that might have in the waking world.

“Well, that was just weird.”

While both Mikkel and Emil silently concurred with Sigrun’s assessment of the situation, neither was of a mind to voice their agreement: Emil out of shock, and Mikkel out of taciturnity. “Tuuri” had been trying to rouse “Onni” when “she” had frozen in place and flickered for a few moments. As soon as “she” had re-solidified, “Onni” had sat up and suggested that they dine and retire for the evening. A moment after Sigrun’s observation, Mikkel had slung the dozing Reynir over his shoulder and they had all gone into the vehicle, shutting the door so the anti-ghost rune on it could activate.

Lalli’s eyes opened in sudden alarm. It was coming. He could sense It

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
Oh, my.

…That is all, for now.

There will be more later, though.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3384 on: October 06, 2017, 09:03:52 PM »
Posting my bits one by one here,
Spamming my stuff on the thread,
Killing the thread with my postings,
Killing the thread with
My postings...

Alphabet Soup
Series 3, Part 18
Spoiler: The Roundabout Way • show
The tunnel had almost been the death of the six of them, though not in the way someone hearing about their epic trek through Silent Sweden might be expecting.

Sigrun’s curses had turned the air blue and Emil’s cheeks red when she’d seen the tunnel, but she’d tried to make the best of it, as she always did. Lalli had had to stay back in camp the night before, having nearly wrung himself dry fighting off an inquisitive giant that had been stalking them; the painful irony of Lalli’s saving of them throwing them into danger was like a dark cloud over the others.

“OK, guys,” Sigrun said grimly, “we’ll have to veer away from the tracks here and see if we can feel our way back later.” Because even I’m not fool enough to take us through a giant kill-tube that might have a train run through it while we’re in there. She didn’t say it, but they all heard it anyway.

The going had been even rougher than usual, because now they were winding their way through a maze of back-country routes, overgrown fields, and small woods as they skirted tiny towns and what seemed an endless supply of lakes of every size and description. So, not only had their route increased in length, but they were also making even slower progress, neither of which tended to improve Sigrun’s ever-grimmer disposition.

The little band hardly ever went across any of the lakes they encountered on the way; mostly Lalli would tell them, “There are things in there,” and that would be the end of it. A few times, though, they managed to find a small boat that wasn’t as unsound as most and get across the lake astride their path with only minor complaints from a motion-sick Lalli.

As the journey had lengthened, each of them had begun accruing little trinkets they’d found along the way, filling haversacks formerly loaded with provisions. Sigrun not only did not mind this (as long as it didn’t slow them down too much); she had amassed a fair-sized miscellany of her own. Emil had claimed knowledge of various things; knowledge that proved to be mostly spurious, though he had been either close or spot-on just enough times to cast doubt on whether or not his ignorance was as comprehensive as Mikkel asserted.

The nights were still the worst, though. Sometimes Emil saw Lalli twisting restlessly and knew that a grossling was near enough to disturb his friend’s dreams; sometimes the cats went intently still and focussed on something beyond the senses of the others (save only Lalli); sometimes, the group had had to flee through the night, tired though they were, because something had found them and was stalking their little camp. Of course, often the night passed without any such incidents at all, but every one of them was aware of how much greater the danger they were in was by night.

Fortunately, their actual encounters with grosslings had been few and far between—until the final one, the one that came just as they were about to rejoin the rail lines…

And here’s more of the “bound for Mora” tale.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3385 on: October 06, 2017, 09:23:50 PM »
Posting my bits one by one here,
Spamming my stuff on the thread,
Killing the thread with my postings,
Killing the thread with
My postings...

Alphabet Soup
Series 3, Part 18

Nice! Have I mentioned how much I enjoy that you've raised the stakes by forcing them to do this with no tank or shelter available?

(And by all means, spam the thread. Poor thing's been getting so lonely...)

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #3386 on: October 07, 2017, 12:15:33 AM »
Nice! Have I mentioned how much I enjoy that you've raised the stakes by forcing them to do this with no tank or shelter available?

(And by all means, spam the thread. Poor thing's been getting so lonely...)

Seconded, all of this!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3387 on: October 07, 2017, 07:50:15 PM »
Here I go again...

Alphabet Soup
Series 1, Part 19
Spoiler: A Sojourn in the Silent World • show
The ancient cluster of palaces that made up Amalienborg had not changed much since the original Silent World Expedition had been driven from its sanctuary by a horde of murderous ghosts so long ago. The buildings were a little more dilapidated, the coils of barbed wire a little more rusted, but that was all.

While the horde of murderous ghosts was presumably still around somewhere, the new Silent World Expedition had safeguarded against them using both magical traditions: the Icelandic by Reyndis positively slathering their vehicle with layer upon layer of protective runes, carefully embroidering even more runes into their uniforms, and marking runes into the ground (well, the snow) all around the perimeter of their campsite; while the Finnish was represented when Tuuli sang nightly runos that called on the gods for even more protection, after his long but ultimately successful multi-day epic struggle to send the few quiescent ghosts in the old palace sickroom on to whatever awaited them.

The whole crew was to mount a sortie to Kastellet so that Tuuli could try to repeat the sending-on on any ghosts that might still be lingering in that place. As this had been the source of the murderous ghosts that had bedeviled the original Silent World Expedition, the team considered it unlikely that said ghosts had returned to their old haunts in any numbers and that the sortie was therefore simply a waste of time and effort. On the other hand, if their employers wanted them to waste time and effort on such a useless endeavor (and they explicitly did), then the team would do so, while taking reasonable precautions to ensure any ghosts still in the area couldn’t murder them.

The sortie was planned for the day after they placed the plaque where Kitty had joined the First Crew, which was far enough away that it took an entire day to accomplish. Tuuli wasn’t sure that they should mount consecutive sorties like that, citing qualms about whether they would be rested enough on the second and potentially more dangerous sortie, but acceded to Sigurd’s unbending will, helped by Mia’s and Lalli’s assurances that they’d be rested well enough without a breather and that it was best to just get it over with.

Heretofore Sigurd had been getting rather frustrated at the strange lack of grossling encounters; not that he wanted to put his crew in jeopardy, but a nice beast fight every now and again would certainly break the monotony and keep them all in fighting trim. On the way to the school, however, they ran into a pack of beasts just large enough for Sigurd to purge his frustrations without Mia and Lalli needing to do anything except watch with weapons ready for any other grosslings that might take the opportunity to strike at the rest of the party.

Upon their return to Amalienborg, Sigurd declared himself up to setting forth for Kastellet right after dinner, but Michaela was able to reason him out of that semi-suicidal intention with some sensible discourse. Reyndis almost fainted with relief when Sigurd finally gave in; Tuuli hoped Reyndis would remember to try for a prophetic vision tonight, or as soon as she lost consciousness at any rate.

The rest of the long, long night passed without incident, though that fact failed to alleviate Tuuli’s growing apprehensions about the coming sortie. Still, there was nothing he cared to do to stop it, as anything he did that would accomplish that would hurt the team. Tuuli was not going to hurt the team.

As soon as the sun rose the next morning, the six of them set off for Kastellet and the fate that awaited them there…

Well, there’s another bit in their tale.

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3388 on: October 07, 2017, 10:50:14 PM »
I'm glad there is more coming! Don't want a TPK.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3389 on: October 08, 2017, 07:39:09 PM »
Alphabet Soup
Series 2, Part 19
Spoiler: Safety • show
All in all, Tuuri was of the decided opinion that having to miss out on a journey into the Silent World would be so much more palatable if there was someone else she could blame for it, instead of her own foolishness in getting her leg broken before they’d even left Mora. Blast you, Onni! she thought petulantly. Why couldn’t you tag along so I could blame everything on you?

Tuuri really had nothing else to do or to think about, as it was somewhere around midnight; she’d left work hours ago, but the pain in her leg meant she couldn’t sleep. She wondered what Lalli was doing just then.

Emil woke abruptly, fear setting his heart to racing until he recognized where he was. As the adrenalin slowly worked its way out of his system, Emil wondered what Lalli was doing just then.

The thin Finn scout had set off as soon as it was dark enough to give him cover on his scouting run, and wasn’t expected to be back before dawn. Emil hadn’t liked the idea, but he appeared to be alone in that opinion: Sigrun had been confident; Mikkel had been stoic; Miira had been as indifferent as ever; and even Lalli hadn’t seemed anxious in any way when he’d set off. Maybe Emil was overestimating the danger.

Maybe he wasn’t. It seemed like Emil had just closed his eyes when a soft series of beeps started sounding from the proximity alarm. When he opened his eyes again, Sigrun was already in motion, a fierce intensity hardening her features in a way that startled Emil.

Their leader was only at the door for a moment before heading back to the bunk compartment. “Scout’s back.”

Mikkel replied calmly, “Good. Stay put; I’ll make sure he’s decontaminated.”

Emil couldn’t help but mutter, “…Thank heavens…” as he gathered himself together, at which Miira threw him a wordless look of contempt.

Lalli disliked Miira, and the feeling was mutual; this much Emil could tell from Lalli’s scouting report, despite not speaking Finnish. He got the feeling Sigrun wasn’t too fond of the Fenno-Swede, either. As for Mikkel, who could tell what he thought about anything?

After Sigrun laid out what today’s sortie would be, Miira took the wheel of their vehicle, and Lalli stumbled back to the office area. Emil hoped he wouldn’t be sick again.

“I believe I should stay outside.”

Sigrun jumped on Mikkel’s offer with alacrity. Miira hadn’t left the vehicle, and Emil got the feeling that she didn’t intend to for any such book raid, but the reasons Sigrun cited for keeping Mikkel back would just as easily apply to her as well.

KA-THUMMMMMMMMM

Miira facepalmed and started the vehicle up before Mikkel called for her to do so.

“I believe it might be better for you to go on the next raid.”

“I do not.” Miira’s voice was calm but firm.

Mikkel allowed a puzzled look to cross his features. “Why ever not? It would certainly be of aid in retrieving only the more valuable specimens, and therefore increasing whatever additional compensation we would receive.”

Miira shot a disdainful look at Mikkel much like the ones she was wont to give the others. “I value my safety more than any notional ‘additional compensation’ we may or may not receive; as I have already secured my preferred compensation by accompanying this mission, I see no need to stick my neck out any further than needs be.”

“I see.” And with that, Mikkel went back around to the driving cabin to speak with Sigrun…

Miira’s caution (and other detrimental qualities) may be more problematic to the mission than Tuuri’s rashness (no pun intended).

Or they may not. We’ll see.