Author Topic: Language learning discussion  (Read 43709 times)

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
Re: Language learning discussion
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2014, 02:58:13 AM »
nope! the indefinite pronoun is "en" (common gender) or "ett" (neutral gender).

"är" is the present conjugation of "vara" ("to be"). so "jag är" ("i am"), "du är" (you are), "han/hon/den/det är" (he/she/it is—or also "hen är" if you're into their new gender neutral pronoun!), and so on.
Thank you! I may bug you again later when something doesn't make sense ^_^
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
I love some of these Ted Talks.  I just found an interesting one about learning languages that I thought might go well here.  The title is a little presumptuous, but he makes some very good points, especially with the steps he lists at the end.  If at all possible, I'd like to get a headset and maybe Skype with some of y'all to help my learning Norwegian, since I unfortunately won't be travelling anywhere for quite some time (that is quite possibly the first time I have ever described "not traveling" as "unfortunate."  The times they are 'a changing.)
Video
Feel free to PM.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 02:05:59 PM »
Okay, so I finally did what I had been planning to do for quite some time now.

The entire room (and possibly the entire house, soon) is now full of post-its. Some of them are there to remind me of things I tend to forget quickly in both German and Norwegian (colors, for example). Some are tasks. Now before I connect anything to the charger I must conjugate a few Norwegian nouns and before I enter my room I must introduce myself (every time - it's a forgetful door), then tell the door that I'm sorry, but I must go away (I wouldn't want to hurt its feelings). I'm sure my fridge will be soon asking me to list a few family relations before he gives me anything to eat, and will also be listing a few food names to help me if I ever decide to eat something in Germany/Norway and haven't studied the vocabulary. And much more to come... If mom doesn't kill me first for putting post-its over the house, that is.

Tehe. Hehehe. Tehehehe... I'll be going now *shuffles away*
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2014, 02:52:12 PM »
*puts post-its all over house*

Now I really want to do this to. Unfortunately I don't think my family would appreciate it much either. Hm. Maybe I can figure out some sort of mental system... Tell us how this turns out.

Also, sorry if this sounds nit-picky and annoying, but I'm pretty sure you conjugate verbs and decline nouns (or maybe that's just Latin? *goes off on a Google hunt*)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 03:06:05 PM by mithrysc »

Nimphy

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2014, 03:20:33 PM »
Now I really want to do this to. Unfortunately I don't think my family would appreciate it much either. Hm. Maybe I can figure out some sort of mental system... Tell us how this turns out.

Also, sorry if this sounds nit-picky and annoying, but I'm pretty sure you conjugate verbs and decline nouns (or maybe that's just Latin? *goes off on a Google hunt*)

Uhm... Probably? I think Fenris said it was conjugation? Because the noun changes according to what article should precede it in English? *tries putting all the blame on the guy who is spending his time trying to teach her Norwegian*

Also, apparently mom is too tired to react negatively. She just nodded. Yay! Dad likes making fun of me by trying to accomplish the task by speaking Italian with his roughest accent. It is not amusing.

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2014, 03:38:15 PM »
As far as I know, mithrysc is right about conjugation/declination. Although both means just "change the words according to the context"  ;)
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

tabeabd

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
  • I need coffee
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2014, 03:42:35 PM »

I'm like 99% sure you're correct on that one.

Let's see...It's been at least a year since I've taken a German language class, so I'm really rusty. Recently, I've been trying to practice a bit more on my own so that I don't lose it all. Thankfully, I have a friend of Skype I've known for years that can help me...I just have trouble getting over the fear of making mistakes and embarrassing myself. I'm trying to get over it!

I've also been sloooowly teaching myself Lithuanian online. It usually feels like I don't know anything, but then when I see a text and understand something here and there, it's a really great feeling! Oh man though...the grammar...so much conjugating and declining.
Fluent::usa: 
Intermediate but rusty::germany:
Learning: 
Should know but doesn't::brazil:

:chap4::chap5::chap6::chap7:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2014, 03:51:06 PM »
I've also been sloooowly teaching myself Lithuanian online. It usually feels like I don't know anything, but then when I see a text and understand something here and there, it's a really great feeling! Oh man though...the grammar...so much conjugating and declining.

Sorry if you've already answered this elsewhere but ... Why Lithuanian?

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2014, 04:03:36 PM »
*breaks in conversation*
*gasp*
Could it be because you have a uncommon/rare surname with Lithuanian roots? (Because I have, and I'm pretty sure I have unknown relatives over in the US. Very loosely related, that is.)
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

tabeabd

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
  • I need coffee
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2014, 04:13:08 PM »

I haven't, but either way, it's no problem :)
Hmm...multiple reasons, haha. First, I just really like the language. I think it's really pretty sounding! But also, I find it really interesting as well. I'm very interested in Indo-European linguistics, and Lithuanian is considered one of the oldest living Indo-European languages, as it has some really archaic features similar to Sanskrit, Ancient Greek, and Latin. Plus, I'm just fascinated with the history and cultures of the Baltic region in general.

*breaks in conversation*
*gasp*
Could it be because you have a uncommon/rare surname with Lithuanian roots? (Because I have, and I'm pretty sure I have unknown relatives over in the US. Very loosely related, that is.)

Nah, I don't. One time I mentioned Lithuania though, and my grandma told me that she THINKS she might've had a relative from there but she wasn't sure, lol. Who knows, my family comes from so many different countries it's no wonder they have trouble keeping track of it all.
Learning: 

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2014, 04:21:31 PM »
Nah, I don't. One time I mentioned Lithuania though, and my grandma told me that she THINKS she might've had a relative from there but she wasn't sure, lol. Who knows, my family comes from so many different countries it's no wonder they have trouble keeping track of it all.
Well then, I guess I have to take comfort in the assumption that everybody is related somehow... Ah a girl can dream (of finding long lost relatives by sheer accident via internet, I mean)...

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2014, 04:27:44 PM »
I haven't, but either way, it's no problem :)
Hmm...multiple reasons, haha. First, I just really like the language. I think it's really pretty sounding! But also, I find it really interesting as well. I'm very interested in Indo-European linguistics, and Lithuanian is considered one of the oldest living Indo-European languages, as it has some really archaic features similar to Sanskrit, Ancient Greek, and Latin. Plus, I'm just fascinated with the history and cultures of the Baltic region in general.

Oh, well that's fine. I mean most people learn a language for utilitarian purposes but I guess there are those who just find themselves enamoured with a "weird" language. There are those who learn Norwegian just to read Ibsen and Nesbø in the original language after all.

tabeabd

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
  • I need coffee
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2014, 04:44:36 PM »
Oh, well that's fine. I mean most people learn a language for utilitarian purposes but I guess there are those who just find themselves enamoured with a "weird" language. There are those who learn Norwegian just to read Ibsen and Nesbø in the original language after all.

"Enamoured" is a good choice of word, haha. I do want to travel to several places though, when I'm able, so it will have a more utilitarian purpose then :) I totally understand that though...I'd love to read Goethe and Grimm in the original German versions.

Well then, I guess I have to take comfort in the assumption that everybody is related somehow... Ah a girl can dream (of finding long lost relatives by sheer accident via internet, I mean)...

I suppose that's true...but that would be quite something! There is a name in my family records though that I haven't been able to find the origin of, so naturally I'm very interested in it. I'm not very practical I guess. x:
Learning: 

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2014, 05:25:07 PM »
I suppose that's true...but that would be quite something! There is a name in my family records though that I haven't been able to find the origin of, so naturally I'm very interested in it. I'm not very practical I guess. x:
Haha, of course it would be! By the way it's not only my father's birthname that is rare and unusual, but my mother's, too (i.e. pick your poison of unpronounciability), but I have their origins pretty much nailed down, both are slavic, one Baltic and one more from the South. I guess my family kept good track of the meanings, although not of the heritage, that is...

Nimphy

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2014, 06:10:21 AM »
Haha! I checked the messages, and Fenris said it was conjugation of nouns! So either we're right, or the fault is not mine  8)