Author Topic: Books!  (Read 122376 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: Books!
« Reply #600 on: September 02, 2017, 05:02:48 PM »
I know I might be a slow on the draw here, but are you intending to read the other books in the Ender's Game series?
They're..... interesting.
My reader friends are to date all telling me to stop there because it's "bad" after. I don't know. I might try someday. Do you recommend them ?
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Mentha_spicata

• Tumblr
« Reply #601 on: September 02, 2017, 05:20:46 PM »
My reader friends are to date all telling me to stop there because it's "bad" after. I don't know. I might try someday. Do you recommend them ?
Sorry for speaking when not asked, but coincidentally last month I decided to give Xenocide amd The Children of the Mind a try, after hugely enjoying the first two books and re-reading them for many times. I have been warned that it gets "curiouser and curiouser", but no warnings could prepare me for what a drag it turned out to be. I liked certain things, like The World of Path, or Jane's character development, but it was all around exhausting. The two main problems I saw were a) the weird, weird plot twists and b) Card's philosophical worldview starts showing through in quite irritating manner. It's no even that I disagree with him (though yes, I do many times), but the charm of the writing style must have somehow worn off by book 3.
I'd still strongly recommend trying Speaker of the Dead, I found it a very touching and engaging read.

I'm currently experiencing a reading equivalent of violent mood swings, going all the way from polish satire from the 60., through some pretty bad crime novels, all the way to Yeates or memoirs of concentration camp survivors.
The "pretty bad crime novels" in question are by a Slovakian author Dominik Dan, and I believe they haven't been translated into English. They are supposedly based on the author's experiences as a real-life detective, but well. The most known of the many, many books he's published includes the Conspiracy of the Templars. Also, the dialogues sound forced and overwitted, and the plots are concerned mostly with the scandalous lifes of the Slovakian upper-class, or Catholic priests.
And still, still, I've read four of the books already, it's so bad you are unable to stop. I desperately need to set my eyes on something actually enjoyable.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 05:25:32 PM by Mentha_spicata »
Native: :poland:
Fluent: :uk:
Getting better: :russia: :france: :vaticancity:
Bits and pieces: :germany:
Passive use only: :italy: :sweden:
Dreams about: :sign: :iceland:
:artd: :)
---
And there was silence all around! The emptiness reigning forever!
Why do you mock that emptiness although it doesn’t mock you ever?

Mélusine

« Reply #602 on: September 02, 2017, 05:28:07 PM »
Sorry for speaking when not asked
Feel free to do it :) It's a forum, and having opinions of other persons is always interesting.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

GunmanRex

• Scout
  • My legs are OK
« Reply #603 on: September 02, 2017, 11:15:37 PM »
Mentha_spicata captured it very well. They have their moments, but they aren't as good as Ender's Game.
Native: :usa:
Steadily Studying: :ireland:
Atrophied: :france:
Future: :wales: :scotland:

:chap16::chap17::chap18:

I ramble a lot

SecludedMan

« Reply #604 on: September 03, 2017, 08:44:40 AM »
Recently started reading a few China Mieville books, started with the City and the City and quickly found myself halfway through his most recent book, This Census Taker. Something so bewilderingly strange but also haunting about both of them, wondering whether it's worth the plunge into the rest of his works.

Abprallen

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • The Frenchiest of Fries
« Reply #605 on: September 03, 2017, 04:06:45 PM »
Recently started reading a few China Mieville books, started with the City and the City and quickly found myself halfway through his most recent book, This Census Taker. Something so bewilderingly strange but also haunting about both of them, wondering whether it's worth the plunge into the rest of his works.
Definitely is! I really enjoyed UnLunDun in particular.

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #606 on: September 04, 2017, 03:48:01 PM »
I've finally got around to reading The Great Escape and it's absolutely enthralling. I've seen the movie (of course) and am familiar with the basic historical facts, but the determination and ingenuity of the prisoners was just amazing! It's also very funny in parts with the way that they continually outfox the guards.

The only downside is knowing how it all ends.

Wyrm, if you liked that one be sure to check out "The Colditz Story", another tale of WWII allied prisoners and their escape efforts. There was a movie made of it and a couple of years ago PBS's NOVA did a show about a planned aerial escape. Talk about ingenuity, these folks had it. They never got as many out but they never suffered the terrible loss that occurred as part of the The Great Escape. I only found reference to the 1 Colditz book but my teenage memory says there was more than one. Enjoy!
Ha, a little more searching brings up "Men of Colditz" and A newer edition combing both books and other material, "Colditz: The Full Story". As a teenager these were just great.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 04:53:57 PM by Iceea »
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #607 on: September 09, 2017, 02:27:22 PM »
Definitely is! I really enjoyed UnLunDun in particular.
I have no idea who y'all are talking about but now I'm really curious. Those books sound really interesting.
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #608 on: September 13, 2017, 01:52:22 PM »

I thought Perdido Street Station and The Scar were brilliant.  I was less taken with Iron Council.  I also really liked Emassytown.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #609 on: September 26, 2017, 10:14:06 AM »
I just recently finished The Three Body Problem and the other two books in the trilogy: The Dark Forest and Death's End by Liu Cixin. They are sooooooo gooooooooooooood. It's hard scifi with psychology and quantum physics and sociology and outer space and really really interesting ethical situations. I highly recommend to anyone who likes a good scifi series.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #610 on: September 26, 2017, 10:40:10 AM »
I finished reading Dune Messiah a little while ago, and it lived up to my expectations, it was about as good as the original Dune. :D
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

GunmanRex

• Scout
  • My legs are OK
« Reply #611 on: September 28, 2017, 09:16:41 PM »
I finished reading Dune Messiah a little while ago, and it lived up to my expectations, it was about as good as the original Dune. :D
The first three in the Dune series are nice, then they just get weird.
Bonus points if you were able to pick out pieces that Warhammer borrows from the Dune series.
Native: :usa:
Steadily Studying: :ireland:
Atrophied: :france:
Future: :wales: :scotland:

:chap16::chap17::chap18:

I ramble a lot

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #612 on: September 28, 2017, 09:44:33 PM »
The first three in the Dune series are nice, then they just get weird.
Bonus points if you were able to pick out pieces that Warhammer borrows from the Dune series.

They’re already pretty weird already, I’m interested what it will turn into in that case. I don’t know anything about Warhammer so I doubt I will, but ok.

And I just finished Dune Messiah the other day, it was good indeed.

Also, The Ocean At The End Of The Lane (Neil Gaiman) just came in the mail! (I ordered it from a used book store online, “thriftbooks.com”, they’re great.) and I started it and it is good so far. (And weird. Weird is what Gaiman does best)
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #613 on: September 29, 2017, 07:55:58 PM »

Also, The Ocean At The End Of The Lane (Neil Gaiman) just came in the mail! (I ordered it from a used book store online, “thriftbooks.com”, they’re great.) and I started it and it is good so far. (And weird. Weird is what Gaiman does best)

Oh yea! You're in for quite a ride, do enjoy. I can recommend another Neil Gaiman, "Sandman: The Dream Hunters". Not part of his main Sandman series despite the title. It's a take on the fox spirit - human interaction from Japanese tales. In this case the fox is the female and the human, a monk, is male. Illustrated by Yoshi-taka Amano. I had to split the first name to get it past auto 4 letter word sensor :o
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #614 on: October 01, 2017, 02:47:30 AM »
In honor of the season, I've decided it's time to finally read Dracula!

(I've actually heard the story of what the real Vlad the Impaler was like... we'll see how well this goes over...)
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18: