Author Topic: Books!  (Read 122663 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: Books!
« Reply #570 on: June 22, 2017, 06:05:37 PM »
Ah, 1984.  A world I never wanted to live in :(
To my mind, Brave New World is even worst, but I know that some persons disagree with this personal point of view.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #571 on: June 22, 2017, 09:18:04 PM »
Ah, 1984.  A world I never wanted to live in :(

Indeed, it does seem a little too real, looking at the world today. :-\

Luth, good investment with Stardust!! It's one of my favourites :D the movie it spawned isn't bad, either.

Certainly a good investment, I think! On top of being an awesome story so far (I read some today), it's hardcover, and has some nice illustrations too. ^-^ I'll have to check out the movie.

1984 is one of the books I used for a project in high school. Maybe try Farneheit 451 by Ray Bradbury if you like this kind of books ? :)

Actually when I picked it out my mom asked if it was for a school project! :) I've heard of that book - we might have a copy downstairs actually, my mom has a few Bradbury books. I'll certainly check it out!
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #572 on: June 23, 2017, 01:10:54 PM »
To my mind, Brave New World is even worst, but I know that some persons disagree with this personal point of view.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #573 on: June 26, 2017, 11:45:54 AM »
Went to the bookstore to get gifts for friends who are leaving my school next year, and ended up getting a few books for myself while I was there. More specifically, Gaiman's Stardust, which I'm really looking forward to reading - but it may have to wait, because I also got Orwell's 1984, which I've started already, and its quite interesting.

If you want to see how much Orwell "borrowed" for 1984 read Zamyatin's "We".

Regarding Huxley and  "Brave New World" it's interesting to note that the last novel he wrote, "Island" 1962, describes a utopian society. But his cynicism is still present. At the end of the story the society is about to be upended/ruined by new rulers corrupted by greed, hubris, and vanity.     
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 11:53:34 AM by Iceea »
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #574 on: June 26, 2017, 06:26:51 PM »
If you want to see how much Orwell "borrowed" for 1984 read Zamyatin's "We".

Maybe I just got a bad translation, but I tried reading "We" and couldn't even get past the first few chapters. The writing was just so abstract I couldn't picture what was going on and the descriptions all fell flat, which was a real turn-off. Is there only one official translation or are there better ones out there?

Regarding Huxley and  "Brave New World" it's interesting to note that the last novel he wrote, "Island" 1962, describes a utopian society. But his cynicism is still present. At the end of the story the society is about to be upended/ruined by new rulers corrupted by greed, hubris, and vanity.   

Huh. I might have to put that one on my to-read list.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #575 on: June 29, 2017, 09:28:11 PM »
Maybe I just got a bad translation, but I tried reading "We" and couldn't even get past the first few chapters. The writing was just so abstract I couldn't picture what was going on and the descriptions all fell flat, which was a real turn-off. Is there only one official translation or are there better ones out there?

Lazy8, I read it back in 87 - 88 for a paper I was doing on "The Technology of Utopia". I read well over 2 doz books and stories at that time. I have a copy of the paper around somewhere, I should see if I can find it and look at the bibliography. If I do find it I'll let you know which version/translation I read. I would assume there's more than 1.
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #576 on: June 30, 2017, 10:42:16 AM »
At least for those of us in the USA, there's a new Ben Aaronovitch PC Grant novella out today.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Athena

« Reply #577 on: July 05, 2017, 12:00:55 AM »
Last week I finished Stardust and it was awesome! And just the ending I was looking forward to, it was quite satisfying.

I was talking to a friend elsewhere online who recommended Franz Kafka's stories to me, so I recently read The Metamorphosis. That was.... quite the story. The ending seemed a little anticlimactic to me, but it's an interesting story.

Now, back into 1984. I'm only on chapter 4 and its already messed me up. It's terrifying how much of that could be or is already real now.

I've had a weird week as far as literature goes O_o

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #578 on: July 05, 2017, 12:29:22 AM »
At least for those of us in the USA, there's a new Ben Aaronovitch PC Grant novella out today.

MUST HAVE!!... September!? *starts looking into American purchasing options*
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #579 on: July 05, 2017, 02:38:17 AM »
Last week I finished Stardust and it was awesome! And just the ending I was looking forward to, it was quite satisfying.

I was talking to a friend elsewhere online who recommended Franz Kafka's stories to me, so I recently read The Metamorphosis. That was.... quite the story. The ending seemed a little anticlimactic to me, but it's an interesting story.

Now, back into 1984. I'm only on chapter 4 and its already messed me up. It's terrifying how much of that could be or is already real now.

I've had a weird week as far as literature goes O_o

I first read "1984" when I was about your age -- and I was also knocked for a loop by it.   The totalitarian brutality and deprivation weren't even the most bothersome aspect for me -- it was the idea that reality and truth had no permanent basis and could be revised at will for oppressive ends.  It really disturbed me.  (Since then, I've worked in journalism and marketing, and while nothing I ever saw was remotely as bad as the Ministry of Truth, I could see how Orwell's experience working at the BBC informed his world-building in 1984.)  Given the rise of politicians who thrive on "alternative facts" and claims of "fake news," it's even more relevant now. 

Once you finish the novel, I recommend Orwell's essay "Politics and the English Language," which definitely sheds more light on his thinking about language and how control of it can steer control over at least *perception* of reality.  It also provides valuable guidance on how to write more clearly and truthfully.   I bought a copy about 10 years ago and it's always on my desk at work. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Prizrachniy_Gek

• Veta
« Reply #580 on: July 14, 2017, 07:37:33 AM »
Oh, anti-utopias are terrible future and we can only hope, what it don't ever befall. I begin to read 1984, Brave New Word and We, but read to the end only We, other books over awful for perception, though very intersting. But yet if small part consist with real word its very horrible.
Fluent: :russia:
Learning: :germany: :sweden: :uk:
Understand, but  say is not very good: :ukraine: :germany:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #581 on: July 14, 2017, 10:17:10 AM »
And for Charlie Stross fans, the latest Laundry book is out.

Antillanka

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #582 on: July 29, 2017, 12:01:54 AM »
Just finished American Gods... freakin' good!!! Dark, but gooood!!!
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Athena

« Reply #583 on: July 29, 2017, 12:24:35 AM »
Just finished American Gods... freakin' good!!! Dark, but gooood!!!

Oooh, American Gods is great! They have a tv show now too, its even more gory and dark and grim, but good too!

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #584 on: July 29, 2017, 01:04:43 AM »
That was an excellent book. I liked it well.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!