Author Topic: Books!  (Read 123789 times)

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: Books!
« Reply #555 on: June 08, 2017, 09:49:23 PM »
I just started "Wildwood" by Colin Meloy. It takes place in Portland, OR, Forest Park, near St. Johns, specifically, but the forest is a magical land, kinda Narnia-ish, and two teens(?) adventure into them. It's really fun for me to read, since whenever we go to Portland, we go to St. Johns and Forest Park, so I already know these places, but now they are magical. Strongly recomend this book to anyone who likes magic and maybe a few talking animals!  ;D
Seconding this recommendation! Wildwood is really good. It ended up being a little darker than I expected. The writing is also really gorgeous... lots of vivid imagery.
Colin Meloy is also the singer/songwriter of the Decemberists! If you like his lyrics, you'll probably like his books, and vice versa.  :))
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #556 on: June 09, 2017, 10:00:47 AM »
I just started "Wildwood" by Colin Meloy. It takes place in Portland, OR, Forest Park, near St. Johns, specifically, but the forest is a magical land, kinda Narnia-ish, and two teens(?) adventure into them. It's really fun for me to read, since whenever we go to Portland, we go to St. Johns and Forest Park, so I already know these places, but now they are magical. Strongly recomend this book to anyone who likes magic and maybe a few talking animals!  ;D

That's probably why I fell in love with the Rivers of London books. I've been to so many places that are mentioned.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #557 on: June 09, 2017, 10:39:04 AM »
I finished Dune the other day, then lent it to a friend who wanted to read it. It was absolutely great, and I think he'll enjoy it as well. I needed something to read yesterday, so i picked up Hemmingway's The Old Man and the Sea, and it's interesting so far.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #558 on: June 10, 2017, 09:57:19 AM »
I could tell you about how discovering the 3rd book of La passe-miroir by Christelle Dabos was great and that I read all in two days this week, but it's not translated in English :/

I'm reading Miniaturist by Jessie Burton. After a few pages I already wanted to go back to Amsterdam.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #559 on: June 10, 2017, 12:11:33 PM »
So talk about it anyway. Many of us have some French, and would be interested.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #560 on: June 15, 2017, 11:29:03 AM »
I could tell you about how discovering the 3rd book of La passe-miroir by Christelle Dabos was great and that I read all in two days this week, but it's not translated in English :/

I'm reading Miniaturist by Jessie Burton. After a few pages I already wanted to go back to Amsterdam.

Je pense que ce n'est pas un problème trop grand.  Comme Róisín a dit, il y'a un peu de gens ici qui parle français !

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Mélusine

« Reply #561 on: June 17, 2017, 12:31:43 PM »
Hmmm, how to explain, then ? La Passe-miroir is a fantasy novel in four books.

Welcome to a world in which a catastrophe happened, splitting up the world in arches (territories like island floating in the sky). All of them are governed by a "spirit of the family", an immortal being with some special powers. After the catastrophe, these immortal beings have given birth to the new civilization by an alliance with the human's survivors. In arches, people are like a big family, with a "gift".
We're following Ophélie, who's a "liseuse" (She can "read" the objects, their pasts, by touching them) but also a "passe-miroir" (She can travel between too places by mirrors, but can't do that if the distance is too important). She's shy, clumsy, and prefer to live taking care of a little museum. Some day, after having refused several wedding's proposals, she learns that the Deans have decided to marry her to a stranger from an other arch, in a diplomatic alliance : this time, if she says no, she'll dishonor her family and will be banned. The said stranger, Thorn, is tall, cold, and at least as much happy as her. Following him because she has no choice, and staying half-hidden because her new position is dangerous, she discovers a complete different world at the capital, with clans fighting against each others, a new "spirit of the family" and some mysteries...

It's a "youth" book but French people put The Golden Compass in young adult sections *Shrugs* The vocabulary is rich, the universe doesn't look like "common" books published these last years, and it's surprisingly addictive.
It's a success here, and would deserve a translation to English, to my mind :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #562 on: June 17, 2017, 02:01:43 PM »
To be fair, The Golden Compass is pretty much a youth novel. The later novels a bit less, but only because they become strange and somewhat convoluted. I read it around the age of 11-12 with little problem.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Mélusine

« Reply #563 on: June 17, 2017, 02:30:23 PM »
To be fair, The Golden Compass is pretty much a youth novel. The later novels a bit less, but only because they become strange and somewhat convoluted. I read it around the age of 11-12 with little problem.
I read them around the same age, but I'm one of the "early" readers and I know that a lot of teenagers around me, at the same moment, were finding it too difficult.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #564 on: June 17, 2017, 03:05:58 PM »

Welcome to a world in which a catastrophe happened, splitting up the world in arches (territories like island floating in the sky). All of them are governed by a "spirit of the family", an immortal being with some special powers. After the catastrophe, these immortal beings have given birth to the new civilization by an alliance with the human's survivors. In arches, people are like a big family, with a "gift".
We're following Ophélie, who's a "liseuse" (She can "read" the objects, their pasts, by touching them) but also a "passe-miroir" (She can travel between too places by mirrors, but can't do that if the distance is too important). She's shy, clumsy, and prefer to live taking care of a little museum. Some day, after having refused several wedding's proposals, she learns that the Deans have decided to marry her to a stranger from an other arch, in a diplomatic alliance : this time, if she says no, she'll dishonor her family and will be banned. The said stranger, Thorn, is tall, cold, and at least as much happy as her. Following him because she has no choice, and staying half-hidden because her new position is dangerous, she discovers a complete different world at the capital, with clans fighting against each others, a new "spirit of the family" and some mysteries...

It's a "youth" book but French people put The Golden Compass in young adult sections *Shrugs* The vocabulary is rich, the universe doesn't look like "common" books published these last years, and it's surprisingly addictive.

It sounds pretty cool!

Hrm... looks like there are only 3 volumes on the Amazon.fr Kindle store?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 03:09:22 PM by urbicande »

GunmanRex

• Scout
  • My legs are OK
« Reply #565 on: June 17, 2017, 04:46:06 PM »

If it ever gets an English translation, or I repair my French and get it to a serviceable point, I would love to read that. That premise sounds neat.
Native: :usa:
Steadily Studying: :ireland:
Atrophied: :france:
Future: :wales: :scotland:

:chap16::chap17::chap18:

I ramble a lot

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #566 on: June 21, 2017, 10:27:36 PM »
Went to the bookstore to get gifts for friends who are leaving my school next year, and ended up getting a few books for myself while I was there. More specifically, Gaiman's Stardust, which I'm really looking forward to reading - but it may have to wait, because I also got Orwell's 1984, which I've started already, and its quite interesting.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Abprallen

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • The Frenchiest of Fries
« Reply #567 on: June 22, 2017, 07:06:26 AM »
Luth, good investment with Stardust!! It's one of my favourites :D the movie it spawned isn't bad, either.

Mélusine

« Reply #568 on: June 22, 2017, 07:24:55 AM »
Went to the bookstore to get gifts for friends who are leaving my school next year, and ended up getting a few books for myself while I was there. More specifically, Gaiman's Stardust, which I'm really looking forward to reading - but it may have to wait, because I also got Orwell's 1984, which I've started already, and its quite interesting.
1984 is one of the books I used for a project in high school. Maybe try Farneheit 451 by Ray Bradbury if you like this kind of books ? :)

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #569 on: June 22, 2017, 09:44:27 AM »
Ah, 1984.  A world I never wanted to live in :(