Author Topic: Improvements  (Read 135106 times)

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
Re: Improvements
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 07:06:08 AM »
I don't know.. let's not try to rank nationalities over each other.

Heh, you're right, we really shouldn't. I just thought it would be funny using the official nationality ranking in the comic. Look at it like this, mine is not even in the list XD
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 08:52:26 AM »

Alright, so:  You've probably all noticed the "Newbie" labels near you avatars and names by now.  This is the lowest rank of a system that ranks users by their number of posts.  The current ranks are "Newbie," "Jr. Member," "Full Member," "Sr. Member," and "Hero Member."  I want to change these labels to reflect the themes of SSSS, so what do y'all think I should rename these ranks as?  Cleanser?  Mage?  Captain?  Scout?  Grade C Cat?  Citizen? 
Come up with some lists so we can make this place a little more unique!

Some more background info, please, before I go full-tilt crazy ;) :
  • Exactly five ranks?
  • Is there a possibility to have members select one of several sets of ranks, or to globally switch from one to the other every now and then without the forum software becoming a worse maintenance case than the Dalahästen? Or should it better be one set of ranks for eternity?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 10:28:06 AM »
I don't know.. let's not try to rank nationalities over each other.

I agree - let's not start WWIII here on the forum!
My one-and-only: :uk:

Hedge14

• Tähtikavaltaja
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 01:49:22 PM »
Am I only one who doesn't like using different jobs as labels? I mean...  Our dear characters are team in SSSS. All jobs are needed! And I like to think them as equal to each other. So ranking jobs seems odd to me. Also, cat grades are kind of confusing.

However, I will admit that I don't have any better idea myself. :P

My plus votes go to In Quarantine and Out of Quarantine. Maybe we could expand that theme, to all labels? Maybe like add Immune as one label?

Logical Psycho

• Not a Grade A cat - but with a hat!
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 01:55:11 PM »

Then again, that would be a massive achievement, and go down in the history books [negatively, but even so!].
Just like that fellow who burned down the temple of Artemis [heh, I forgot his name], even though I suspect this will be harder.

--

Not sure I want/need this improvement, but it's a bit odd that it's possible to list your gender, and a male/female ratio exists at the Stats-page, but you can't see someone's gender at their profile.
I don't much care about them - but marked me as strange ;)

Oh! possible improvement!
Can we enlargen the emoticons? They seem really tiny.
More or less in line with the text though.. I'll grant you that.
So on that note, perhaps enlargen the text from 10pt to.. 12 or something?

Nimphy

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 02:16:23 PM »

Albert Einstein didn't know how WWIII would be fought. Now we know it - it will start on this forum, degenerate in a sci-fi virtual war, destroy our energy sources for some reason, and let us fight WWIV with sticks and stones

... Shall we do that?  :D
Am I only one who doesn't like using different jobs as labels? I mean...  Our dear characters are team in SSSS. All jobs are needed! And I like to think them as equal to each other. So ranking jobs seems odd to me. Also, cat grades are kind of confusing.

Ranking jobs does seem odd, but I personally did so in danger-rank. A mage has potentially unlimited power, and thus could stand a degree in dangerousness above a cleanser, who only has as much power as the flamethrowers' fuel.

Or, as someone suggested, we could use military ranks. As soon as we know them, that is.

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Hedge14

• Tähtikavaltaja
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 02:36:38 PM »

Ranking jobs does seem odd, but I personally did so in danger-rank. A mage has potentially unlimited power, and thus could stand a degree in dangerousness above a cleanser, who only has as much power as the flamethrowers' fuel.

Or, as someone suggested, we could use military ranks. As soon as we know them, that is.

But as you said we do not currently even know what mages can really do. We don't know if there is situations where mages are defenseless. We only know that they can use protective spells and free souls and aid at battle. There is no info whatever they are dangerous or how capable they are fighting.

Ranking jobs can't be done, before we know how they really work or how dangerous they are. For all we know medics are most important part of group. :P Or, as I'd rather think, they all have their role to play.  :)

So, perhaps labels should just wait until we know more of world of SSSS?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 02:38:27 PM by Hedge14 »

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 03:42:27 PM »
How about something like

Peasant
Scout
Captain
Strategist
General

Military themed, but still understandable and fitting in the world of SSSS too. I don't feel like this ranks the jobs between main characters too much.

Nimphy

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 03:50:48 PM »
How about something like

Peasant
Scout
Captain
Strategist
General

Military themed, but still understandable and fitting in the world of SSSS too. I don't feel like this ranks the jobs between main characters too much.

I actually think yours is the best suggestion until now, but that's just my opinion. I still think that admins should be listed as 'cleansers' or, alternatively, 'troll-slayers'.

How about exchanging 'peasant' with 'shepherd' in homage to Árni's ever-glorious ambition?

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 04:08:20 PM »
I actually think yours is the best suggestion until now, but that's just my opinion. I still think that admins should be listed as 'cleansers' or, alternatively, 'troll-slayers'.

How about exchanging 'peasant' with 'shepherd' in homage to Árni's ever-glorious ambition?

Heh, I'm fine with that! Thank you!

Hedge14

• Tähtikavaltaja
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 04:10:53 PM »
I like idea of changing pheasant to shepherd. It sound softer! However, quite many people have suggested pheasant already and it's probably more common job in SSSS.

Not sure what I feel about military terms. They would be pretty clear and they do connect to story... However, I'd like labels that have even more SSSS-feel. Sorry if criticize too much, even if I have no solutions of my own. :(

+1 to troll-slayers as admins.

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 04:15:19 PM »
I like idea of changing pheasant to shepherd. It sound softer! However, quite many people have suggested pheasant already and it's probably more common job in SSSS.

Not sure what I feel about military terms. They would be pretty clear and they do connect to story... However, I'd like labels that have even more SSSS-feel. Sorry if criticize too much, even if I have no solutions of my own. :(

+1 to troll-slayers as admins.

The reason why I chose those terms in particular is that every one of those positions is filled within the comic with someone - Lalli is a (night)scout, red-headed captain... is a captain, Taru is a strategist and Trond is a general. It also fits that they are in age order, from youngest to eldest.

Hedge14

• Tähtikavaltaja
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 04:45:11 PM »
You know, I like that youngest to oldest thing. I also do get that these positions appear in comic, but they are also used in real world as rankings so they do not have unique to SSSS feel to them. In other hand, for example "shepherd" is never term of ranking, so it kind of makes bigger impression.
I do agree that military terms do not rank team members like using sklad and mage or cleanser would. In that aspect I like them a lot. :)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 04:49:35 PM »

The reason why I chose those terms in particular is that every one of those positions is filled within the comic with someone - Lalli is a (night)scout, red-headed captain... is a captain, Taru is a strategist and Trond is a general. It also fits that they are in age order, from youngest to eldest.

So, going by the example of Trond, the highest level of forum user would be the retiree :P

I'm thinking the forum headline should probably be something like "The Stand Still, Stay Silent Fan Forum". It's the headline after all.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 05:21:14 PM »
WOW!  Lots of responses!  Coming back from work is going to be interesting this semester  :)  I'll try and respond to everyone's questions as best as I can.  I'll mull over the rank suggestions on my own for a while, but I quite like noako's idea.

Nimphy:  Yes, I can change groups around.  I just made a group for Skalds that can be requested.

Fimbulvarg and JoB: Yes, exactly 5 ranks, but I can change that all I want.  There's only one set of ranks, which applies globally; I can change how many posts it takes to get a rank up.
     Rank 1: 0-99 posts
     Rank 2: 100-249 posts
     Rank 3: 250-499 posts
     Rank 4: 500- 999 posts
     Rank 5: 1000+ posts

Logical Psycho:  I can't change the size of the emoticons, but I can look around the SMF site and try to find some new emoticons, which I know they have.  As for the font size, that should be changeable in the same part of the forum where I can change the font color.  I've found the place where I can change the font color, now it's just a matter of sorting through the forum's code (with the help of ctrl+F) to find the correct line of code.

Hopefully, I didn't leave anybody out!
Oh, and a quick P.S.:  We need some troll slayers, because I'm gone for most of the day, during weekdays, and I would like some help with the site.  I'm technically a student, but I'm doing a pseudo-internship right now, so work eats up most of my time. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 05:32:17 PM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.