Author Topic: Linguistics  (Read 42963 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: The importance of correct umlauts
« Reply #285 on: June 20, 2020, 05:39:53 AM »
Yep, thank you Vulpes! I keep losing that link, and again didn’t have it.  Mabby I should put a bookmark on it?
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #286 on: June 20, 2020, 03:28:06 PM »
No problem, and thanks for confirming the pronunciation thing, Jitter. I mostly use it to check individual words anyway!

Hm, now that I'm on actual vacation (as opposed to the vacations I normally end up taking where I might as well still be working) maybe I should go back to trying to learn Finnish! I kind of lost steam, what with having to figure out emergency remote teaching - exhausting - and having my sabbatical plans scuppered - disappointing. No trip to Finland (or anywhere else I'd been planning) so I lost enthusiasm... but I was enjoying it, so I should get going on it again. Maybe next sabbatical I can travel!
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #287 on: June 20, 2020, 05:42:23 PM »
Yep, thank you Vulpes! I keep losing that link, and again didn’t have it.  Mabby I should put a bookmark on it?

My list of bookmarks on dicitionaries and all sorts of things has been rapidly increasing ever since I started following SSSS, so here´s to one more  :'D

No problem, and thanks for confirming the pronunciation thing, Jitter. I mostly use it to check individual words anyway!

Hm, now that I'm on actual vacation (as opposed to the vacations I normally end up taking where I might as well still be working) maybe I should go back to trying to learn Finnish! I kind of lost steam, what with having to figure out emergency remote teaching - exhausting - and having my sabbatical plans scuppered - disappointing. No trip to Finland (or anywhere else I'd been planning) so I lost enthusiasm... but I was enjoying it, so I should get going on it again. Maybe next sabbatical I can travel!

Yeah, hope dies last! My family was also planning a short trip to Finland around witsun that got cancelled. Funnily enough that´s what actually brought me to start learning Finnish. If I can´t go there, at least I can do something.
Are you a teacher? If so, my sympathies! That entire home-schooling-thing was a gigantic chaos, it must have been a massive amount of work for you.
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #288 on: June 20, 2020, 07:16:43 PM »
Yeah, hope dies last! My family was also planning a short trip to Finland around witsun that got cancelled. Funnily enough that´s what actually brought me to start learning Finnish. If I can´t go there, at least I can do something.
Are you a teacher? If so, my sympathies! That entire home-schooling-thing was a gigantic chaos, it must have been a massive amount of work for you.

So a cancelled trip got you learning Finnish? Complete opposite here, although I was planning to be in Finland for a month or two, so learning a little before going did have a purpose - as a result, cancelling the trip made it harder to motivate myself to study. Not to mention how distracted I've been with the remote working thing.

I'm a university professor, so I got off lightly. The winter uni semester ended in mid-April, but schools just wrapped up recently. I had two weeks of emergency remote teaching and then exams. Since then it's just been adjusting to virtual meetings (so many meetings!) and dealing with a grad student thesis via email; my research kind of got parked for a bit. My cousin teaches grade 5, and was struggling to keep her weaker students with fewer home supports on track. At least I'm dealing with pretty independent young adults.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
Re: Linguistics
« Reply #289 on: November 04, 2020, 08:19:42 AM »
Well, I'm not sure if this is the right place, so if not please tell me and I will remove or post it in a more appropriate thread.

Today XKCD published this lovely "episode" about the true word for "bear". I believe it will be of interest (and it's fun!) :)

https://xkcd.com/2381/
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #290 on: November 04, 2020, 01:37:12 PM »
Well, I'm not sure if this is the right place, so if not please tell me and I will remove or post it in a more appropriate thread.

Today XKCD published this lovely "episode" about the true word for "bear". I believe it will be of interest (and it's fun!) :)

https://xkcd.com/2381/

Oh wow that is so cool! Thanks for sharing!!!
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Maglor

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #291 on: February 11, 2021, 11:23:32 AM »
A-a-and since I started to dig into ugorian mythology...

Native: Russian.
Fluent: English.
Understandable: Belorussian and Ukrainian.
A bit: French.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #292 on: January 27, 2024, 02:49:15 PM »
Not properly linguistics, but a funny way of comparing what different languages sound like. Here’s a video including clips in multiple languages from when Frodo puts on the One Ring and hears Sauron’s voice.

/>
No Finnish or Scandinavian languages, as we use subtitles rather than dubbing except for children’s programs and movies. I assume it’s the same for the Scandinavians, at least back when we used to buy (or rent!) dvd’s, the one sold in Finland also had subs in all Scandinavian languages.

I loke subtitles way better than dubbing but this video has a couple of examples of the by far worst solution too! A few of these are like read aloud subtitles where the English original sound plays in the background and then someone just translates in monotonous voice. It’s utterly ridiculous even in normal speech scenes, but here especially it just destroys the scene. Is anyone here (and still around) from somewhere that you are used to this way of providing translation?
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #293 on: January 28, 2024, 05:05:56 AM »
I loke subtitles way better than dubbing but this video has a couple of examples of the by far worst solution too! A few of these are like read aloud subtitles where the English original sound plays in the background and then someone just translates in monotonous voice. It’s utterly ridiculous even in normal speech scenes, but here especially it just destroys the scene.
In [former] Soviet Union [and its neighbors], apparatchik voice scarier than Sauron? :3

Is anyone here (and still around) from somewhere that you are used to this way of providing translation?
Not here ... gods, video snippets of politicians' speeches shown in the day's TV news here get a more empathic German voiceover!

My biggest pet peeve are bad translations, however. Worst offender (so far ...) being a sci-fi flick where they translated the punchline of "I'm like a graveyard ... I take anybody" literally. (Pro tip: There's not the faintest allusion to whatever "body" in the German version of "anybody" ("jede(n)"). And literally saying "jeden Körper" pretty much focuses the topic on corpses, rather than suggesting "yeah, OK, I'll team up with you" like in that scene.)

What I find interesting in the comparison video is that apparently not even all the dubbers had a "background noises" track to combine with the dubbing, though you would supposedly be able to pass that one to all dubbers alike. And ... is the Tamil (IIRC) version actually putting an entirely out-of-character background music "under" the dubbing?!?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #294 on: January 29, 2024, 03:28:10 AM »
I thought the Tamil version was handled like a Tamil movie, so yeah, music welling underneath.  I'm vaguely surprised it didn't circle back to being a full on musical like Tolkien (more-or-less) wrote it.  I'd get out the popcorn for the all-singing all-dancing Tamil version of Tom Bombadil, in a heartbeat!
The partial overlay in the Ukrainian version used the underlying English to make it sound eerily like Sauron was talking a bit in tongues, and kind of fitting, I thought. Perhaps in another scene (eg Pippin asking about second breakfast) the effect would have been more annoying.  But JoB is correct that the more monotonous dub style was very off-putting.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #295 on: January 29, 2024, 05:56:06 AM »
I'm vaguely surprised it didn't circle back to being a full on musical like Tolkien (more-or-less) wrote it.  I'd get out the popcorn for the all-singing all-dancing Tamil version of Tom Bombadil, in a heartbeat!
[semi-watched the re-airing of the Five Armies on TV last week]
[imagines The Battle happening in chorus line style]
[... not that the first moves of the elven troops were that far from it ...]
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15