Author Topic: Character Development: Lalli  (Read 65445 times)

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Character Development: Lalli
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2015, 06:34:31 PM »
I tend to see Lalli as the closest thing we have to a successor to Hannu in this comic. Or at least that several personality quirks that defined Hannu live on with Lalli.

I dunno. Maybe those are Finnish things.

I see Lalli and Emil as a kind of split of Hannu... I forget the general traits I thought that went into each though.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #136 on: April 15, 2015, 01:09:03 AM »
One day we will hear the story of what happened to Onni, Tuuri and Lalli's parents. Then we will know why Onni is so traumatized. Onni is damaged. Crying is not always a weakness but is the only thing left to relieve the stress when really you want to do something very violent and you restrain yourself for some reason.

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #137 on: April 15, 2015, 09:14:06 AM »
Might also give hints to why Lalli is the way he is. Perhaps whatever happened caused them all to go a tad "wonky".

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #138 on: April 15, 2015, 10:53:44 AM »
One day we will hear the story of what happened to Onni, Tuuri and Lalli's parents. Then we will know why Onni is so traumatized. Onni is damaged. Crying is not always a weakness but is the only thing left to relieve the stress when really you want to do something very violent and you restrain yourself for some reason.

I dunno, the only source we have on the "Onni is crying" part is Lalli, who apparently said it in jest. He does have a dramatic history of some sort but he seems remarkably cool if anything.

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2015, 11:15:34 AM »
I dunno, the only source we have on the "Onni is crying" part is Lalli, who apparently said it in jest. He does have a dramatic history of some sort but he seems remarkably cool if anything.

Well, Minna post on page 72:
Of course he can't join the main crew, he'd just be magic-blasting all the scary things into oblivion and where would the excitement be then, huh? Okay, that's a complete lie, the real reason is that he is ridiculously terrified of everything, and if he were forced to tag along he'd spend most of the time crying and being useless. True story. You'll see.
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #140 on: April 15, 2015, 03:29:44 PM »
I've searched, but failed to find it on the forum. Under the page 74 Minna gives a comment on Lalli's gun:

minnasundberg
He just uses his grandmother's old hunting rifle. x3
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #141 on: April 15, 2015, 03:42:19 PM »
I've searched, but failed to find it on the forum. Under the page 74 Minna gives a comment on Lalli's gun:
Great find, curiosity!  I NEVER knew that about Lalli's gun!  (It opens up speculation -- Lalli's grandmother was old enough to be alive pre-Rash?  Or did she inherit it from a Rash survivor?  But anyway.)
I hope one of the Wiki-crew will pick up on this nugget of lore.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2015, 07:47:51 PM »
I had found that one recently too. I wonder how many steps away from the boat Hotakainens Lalli is. Sigrun is 3 steps away from Aksel and Sigrun, but Lalli could be 4 or so steps away. Depends on the age people had kids in the generations.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2015, 10:03:31 AM »
I hope one of the Wiki-crew will pick up on this nugget of lore.
(The fact itself is already in the "trivia" section of Lallis page. ;) )
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #144 on: April 16, 2015, 08:02:32 PM »
I keep wondering if Minna is going to show us Lalli changing his behavior towards others as the time goes by, or if she is going to stick with the "catboy" behavior until the end. I mean, it could go both ways, since Lalli has so many quirks and manneirisms that would be quite difficult to get rid of, but, at the same time, this is the first time he is away from home and among so many strange people. This could make he go through some changes, perhaps turning him in a more sociable person.
Some old concept art that Minna posted showed Lalli and Emil working together, and Lalli was smiling, which I think demonstrates a changing of character for him. Or maybe that was before Minna had fully planned Lalli's personality?
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2015, 12:49:00 AM »
Well if you look at Lalli at beginning of chapter 2 and now he even looks different. He used to be a bit rounder and overall less cat-like.

I think once we start to get more intimate scenes we will see the more humane side of him rather than just the cat eyes spying on you under a blanket.t

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2015, 01:13:41 PM »
I think once we start to get more intimate scenes we will see the more humane side of him rather than just the cat eyes spying on you under a blanket.t

I don't know if you'd want to use that word given how many shippers there are on this forum  ;)
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2015, 07:58:28 AM »
Oh yeah... I didn't mean that you twisted minded people!  ;D

Honestly i don't see any shipping happening with Lalli, but if Minna decides otherwise all i can do is buckle up and get ready for the fan-art

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2015, 08:07:56 AM »
Oh yeah... I didn't mean that you twisted minded people!  ;D

Honestly i don't see any shipping happening with Lalli, but if Minna decides otherwise all i can do is buckle up and get ready for the fan-art
Harbourmaster Minna has already approved a fairly open shipping lanes policy so, yeah. Report at the quartermaster's office for safety blankets, brain bleach and lifejackets if required.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 08:33:16 AM by Fimbulvarg »

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2015, 08:30:47 AM »
I think i will just smuggle myself in a wooden box back to the troll infested woods to avoid that.