Author Topic: Character Development: Lalli  (Read 65443 times)

Crazybean

Re: Character Development: Lalli
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2015, 04:02:11 PM »
Lalli's emotional response to the cookie made me wonder if he's ever had treats like that before, that he could remember - if they just didn't have cookies in Keuruu (it seems like they'd be a luxury anyway) or if Lalli just never bothered to eat any (because he's supposedly a picky eater?).

The thought of there being no sweets in Keuruu makes post apocalyptic life in Finland even more bleak. Imagine little Lalli and Tuuri never experiencing the joy of candy. What a dark and grim future... If they do have them, I can't imagine how Lalli could not have been exposed to sweets at least once Even if he's a pickt eater . (Shame on you Onni for never giving your kiddies treats) Or maybe cookies are luxury goods in year 90 Finland.

My favourite theory is Lalli is perfectly normal  ;D He was just incarnated as the wrong species.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2015, 04:24:34 PM »
Fun fact:  Cats can't taste sweetness.  (As obligate carnivores, they don't need to eat anything sweet, like fruit, so they evolved lots of taste receptors for umami, the "rich, meaty" taste of protein, as well as for saltiness, but gradually lost the receptors for sweetness.)
So Lalli is not a Blessed Feline in at least one key respect!

I imagine there weren't a lot of sweets -- or spare calories of any kind -- growing up in Keuruu.  I picture life there as pretty austere and spartan: a combination of Europe immediately post-WWII, an Israeli kibbutz, and Communist China (minus the repression and Maoist cult of personality, of course). 

Even if there were candy, overprotective Onni probably wouldn't let his charges eat much.  Bad for their teeth, don't you know...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 04:30:18 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

SeaAngel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2015, 06:42:39 PM »
Fun fact:  Cats can't taste sweetness.  (As obligate carnivores, they don't need to eat anything sweet, like fruit, so they evolved lots of taste receptors for umami, the "rich, meaty" taste of protein, as well as for saltiness, but gradually lost the receptors for sweetness.)
So Lalli is not a Blessed Feline in at least one key respect!

Well there is always the possibility that Mikkel's cookies tasted aweful by human standards, but cats find them awesome! :P
Fluent:
OK:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2015, 06:50:36 PM »
I imagine there weren't a lot of sweets -- or spare calories of any kind -- growing up in Keuruu.  I picture life there as pretty austere and spartan: a combination of Europe immediately post-WWII, an Israeli kibbutz, and Communist China..
Perhaps he grew up with Mämmi. That would certainly explain his mirth when discovering cookies.

Varjohaltia

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2015, 07:02:20 PM »
Perhaps he grew up with Mämmi. That would certainly explain his mirth when discovering cookies.

...Mämmi is one of the things I miss from Finland. Add cream and sprinkle sugar on it, and it's tasty! That and proper rye bread. And candy. And cinnamon rolls. And... I'll stop now.
:finland: Fluent
:usa: Fluent
:germany: Understands
:sweden: Rudimentary
:japan: Horrible

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2015, 01:20:32 PM »
I was watching some videos on YouTube of Finnish sterotypes. It looks like Lalli would fit right in and that Tuuri is the weirdo. :D
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2015, 01:25:44 PM »
I was watching some videos on YouTube of Finnish sterotypes. It looks like Lalli would fit right in and that Tuuri is the weirdo. :D

To tell you the truth.... Yeah Lalli propably could live here without anyone caring one bit while Tuuri being just so excited about everything makes him standout compared to her cousin.

Hell i see quite a bit of myself in Lalli

UFOO9000

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • I'm Fluffy
  • Preferred pronouns: Don't care, have fun!
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2015, 02:53:16 AM »
For those going for the "lalli is a psychopath/sociopath" here is an infographic that pretty mush explains why he does not seem to be : http://fanatique.tumblr.com/post/108988346985/psychopath-vs-sociopath-infograophic
I <3 Cats, Chats, katter, neko, gato.
:canada: :france: :uk: :denmark: :spain: :japan:

I have this thing where I vanish for weeks and sometimes months. PM me and I'll be back for you~

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2015, 03:05:52 AM »
For those going for the "lalli is a psychopath/sociopath" here is an infographic that pretty mush explains why he does not seem to be : http://fanatique.tumblr.com/post/108988346985/psychopath-vs-sociopath-infograophic
Er, just FYI both terms are used A LOT MORE  in pop culture (especially crime shows) than actual psychological research. The terminology AFAIK was a lot more popular in the 70s/80s and kind of stuck around in the public consciousness while the scientific establishment moved away from it. Even then, it's poorly understood... So, I would take anything that claims to give definitive information like that with a grain of salt

Also, as with any other disorder, it's a combination of factors taken TOGETHER which persist over time. There's a looot of people who exhibit one or two of those traits, but that just makes them jerks and not people with psychiatric illnesses.

*takes off Psychology major hat*
carry on, folks.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Paul Ferris

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2015, 05:41:15 AM »
Correct. And there's a very thin line between narcissism and psychopathy. The most recent DSM threw out those terms altogether (I believe), replacing them with the much more sensible "antisocial personality disorder" *is studying psychology as a Year 12 elective subject*.
Learning: :denmark:
Can read and sort-of speak: :france:
Native: :australia:

UFOO9000

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • I'm Fluffy
  • Preferred pronouns: Don't care, have fun!
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2015, 02:09:53 PM »
I did not understand half of what you guys said... but I understand pop culture as changed the definitions of the words, but it is still good to go back to what they meant before trying to define what they are today. Good example would be that modern Sherlock Holmes is described as a high-functioning sociopath which makes him only matches the image I posted in some points. But it is something people can base themselves.

I think this makes certain that Lalli is not any of them (for now) as none of the description can apply to him.

And new terms are hard to remember... or which one is the more recent.
I <3 Cats, Chats, katter, neko, gato.
:canada: :france: :uk: :denmark: :spain: :japan:

I have this thing where I vanish for weeks and sometimes months. PM me and I'll be back for you~

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2015, 11:44:00 PM »
Also, running across things in my pursuit to learn Finnish:

"Finns shake hands more rarely than many other nationalities. It happens mainly in formal settings and official events. If you meet someone for the first time, it's good manners to shake hands, but friends very rarely shake hands. So don't be offended if your Finnish friends don't shake hands all the time!" http://venla.info/lesson-1-meeting-people.php
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

SeaAngel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2015, 02:01:16 AM »
Also, running across things in my pursuit to learn Finnish:

"Finns shake hands more rarely than many other nationalities. It happens mainly in formal settings and official events. If you meet someone for the first time, it's good manners to shake hands, but friends very rarely shake hands. So don't be offended if your Finnish friends don't shake hands all the time!" http://venla.info/lesson-1-meeting-people.php

Wait. What. In which nation a handshake is something that friends do?
I've NEVER done a handshake with ANY of my friends.
Fluent:
OK:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2015, 03:12:07 AM »
Wait. What. In which nation a handshake is something that friends do?
I've NEVER done a handshake with ANY of my friends.
Maybe it's an adult thing? I see men shake hands while greeting their friends and acquaintances all the time, (the really boisterous ones do hugs O___O) but it seems like something for...the older generation? If they're close friends, then the handshake might be a bit formal so they do a shoulder/arm-pat thing as they walk. (buuuuut, I'm no reliable source)
...None of which sounds like something the stereotypical Finn would be cool with if it happened without warning X'D
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

SeaAngel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2015, 05:15:15 AM »
Maybe it's an adult thing? I see men shake hands while greeting their friends and acquaintances all the time, (the really boisterous ones do hugs O___O) but it seems like something for...the older generation? If they're close friends, then the handshake might be a bit formal so they do a shoulder/arm-pat thing as they walk. (buuuuut, I'm no reliable source)
...None of which sounds like something the stereotypical Finn would be cool with if it happened without warning X'D

Acquaintances do handshakes here, yes. The same for older and/or not-so-familiar-relatives (or someone you REALLY want to show respect to). But friends hug, kiss on the cheeck or pat, no matter the age.

I don't think Tuuri would mind any handshakes, though. It just looked like Lalli has never noticed/done the whole handshake thing.
Fluent:
OK: