Author Topic: You in Year 90  (Read 33973 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: You in Year 90
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2018, 04:41:45 PM »
Given what I want to be irl, I’d probably be a skald, although I’d definitely wish I could be a scout. No idea whether or not I’d be immune...how does one speculate on that?

Many people pick 'immune' because it makes things so much easier if you desire to be a scout or explorer, or the kind of skald that wants to gather field data.  In addition, not too many people want to put themselves in a position of the angst & danger that the non-immune live under.  (I'm willing to bet few of the young people in the Forum have thought about the societal pressure for immune people to have children.)
In canon vast swathes of the population, especially in Iceland, are not immune and live their whole lives within safe area walls; some look at themselves and realise that they wouldn't really fancy running through the dark forest on a rainy day after all, and would much rather be baking bread in one of the safe settlements.   For the record, I no longer remember what I posted in this thread for myself & am too lazy to archive dig, but that would probably be me, working in a bakery or shop, likely non-immune.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2018, 02:52:39 PM »
Many people pick 'immune' because it makes things so much easier if you desire to be a scout or explorer, or the kind of skald that wants to gather field data.  In addition, not too many people want to put themselves in a position of the angst & danger that the non-immune live under.  (I'm willing to bet few of the young people in the Forum have thought about the societal pressure for immune people to have children.)
In canon vast swathes of the population, especially in Iceland, are not immune and live their whole lives within safe area walls; some look at themselves and realise that they wouldn't really fancy running through the dark forest on a rainy day after all, and would much rather be baking bread in one of the safe settlements.
I see, that makes a lot of sense. Yeah, I don’t think a lot of us youngsters considered the pressure to have kids either...I guess because we’re still in the stage/just coming out of the stage where people are mostly asking us “what do you want to be when you grow up?” instead of “So...when are you getting married/having kids ;)
I guess given my dad’s side’s health records, the likelihood that that they’d be immune is p low, so I’ll just go with not being immune either.

For the record, I no longer remember what I posted in this thread for myself & am too lazy to archive dig, but that would probably be me, working in a bakery or shop, likely non-immune.
Working in a bakery/shop post-rash honestly sounds really nice. Peaceful, hopefully!
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2018, 04:55:53 PM »
In this society, I imagine having kids (especially immune kids) is prized, but most people in the smaller settlements will have to juggle multiple roles.  Sadly, orphanages are likely a thing as well.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Kaino

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they
« Reply #123 on: September 06, 2018, 06:01:12 PM »
Being a scout would be wonderful. Imagine running around in the forest all day (or night) and actually being useful att the same time! And I would be able to work alone and away from other people. My biggest problem against that is that I'm having knee problems and can't run at all at the moment, but hey, maybe that could change. Also I'm using glasses, but as long as I don't have to read at a long distance it should be fine, I have no trouble recognizing movement and position, it's just the details that gets blurred.

Night scout sounds best when I think about it, as I like to stay inside when it's too sunny.

But yeah, I have a lot against me at the scout front it seems. I could also work with crafts, if I happen to not me immune. I imagine handmade things are more in demand then than now.

If I can choose where I get born I'd say Finland or Norway. Sweden seems fine I wouldn't like living in ignorance of magic. Even if I was born in Sweden I'd probably begin to believe in it sooner or later anyway, as I tend to question things a lot and being open to all possibilities.

If I happened to become a mage I would put a lot of effort into mastering that I think. And just doing research about it in general. Maybe I would do research even if I wasn't a mage myself haha.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 04:34:00 PM by Kaino »
Native: :sweden:
Fluent-ish: :uk:
Learning but on hold: :japan: :spain:
Learning: :finland:
Planning to learn: :iceland:
Want to learn: So many...

thecraneoverlord

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2018, 12:23:28 PM »
I'd be a finnish mage, but like, a really bad one.

I'd be like Emil, too empathic to be unaffected by all the suffering trolls.

JodyS

• Super-Newbie
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2018, 02:04:23 PM »
I'd probably be immune, because I've already got an immune system that won't quit, but it would be wasted on me since I'd prefer a safe, boring office job like Torbjörn's.
Native speaker: :usa:
Learning to read: :france:

Bhaskara

• Preferred pronouns: He/him
« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2018, 04:55:10 PM »
It would be a toss up between a carpenter and a skald.

I am a carpenter and I am somewhat of a history buff as well.

I’d probably not be immune, but who knows.
“What is an anarchist? One who, choosing, accepts the responsibility of choice.”
Ursula K. Le Guin

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2019, 11:37:50 AM »
Well... I think not immune as I interpret having a cat-allergy as such...
Otherwise, I think mage. I also like knitting so...
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

Reclaimer 549

• Super-Newbie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: They, Them
« Reply #128 on: February 06, 2019, 11:50:16 PM »
My Username here is reflective of what I think I'd be doing. Assuming similar levels of knowledge my job would be going into the silent world to salvage useful materials. Not information just raw materials. I personally know but will not explain in depth right now, what parts of a car are high carbon steel, thus good for forging blades, how to make various ummmmm "active" compounds, and the potential uses for expired gasoline.
Fluent: :usa:
Can understand some: :china:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2019, 04:00:05 AM »
All very useful information (says someone who has chef's knives made from leafsprings, and made a pair of matching swords out of the crossmember of a crane jib).
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2019, 02:47:14 PM »
My Username here is reflective of what I think I'd be doing. Assuming similar levels of knowledge my job would be going into the silent world to salvage useful materials. Not information just raw materials. I personally know but will not explain in depth right now, what parts of a car are high carbon steel, thus good for forging blades, how to make various ummmmm "active" compounds, and the potential uses for expired gasoline.

Hmmm... seems we're birds f a feather in that last regard. I wonder what 90 year old antifreeze might do to a troll.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Reclaimer 549

• Super-Newbie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2019, 11:10:47 PM »
Hmmm... seems we're birds f a feather in that last regard. I wonder what 90 year old antifreeze might do to a troll.

I personally wouldn't try it. Antifreeze's infinite shelf life would make it useful against beasts but due to the size of trolls and the environments they've been show to make their nests in I wouldn't have much faith in toxic chemicals.

Personally I prefer thermite, it's shockingly easy to make, and a 5 gallon bucket of it can burn through 4 floors of a building, and steel safes, and keep going. US embassies at one point used this as a emergency backup way to destroy critical documents in the event of an emergency.

Reclaimer 549

• Super-Newbie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2019, 11:14:46 PM »
All very useful information (says someone who has chef's knives made from leafsprings, and made a pair of matching swords out of the crossmember of a crane jib).

If you interesting in scrap metal forging there's a competitive blade forging show where they usually have to salvage steel from something. It's called Forged it Fire

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2019, 11:38:15 PM »
What country is it in? I'm in Australia.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Krillian

• Life's too short sometimes.
« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2019, 04:38:22 PM »
I'd probably be a scholar, researching and studying old-world lore, fascinated by the world and languages that existed prior to all of what happened, trying to imagine how it was before the plague. I'm already very fascinated by the past as it is, I love to learn new things about how our world used to function, the languages and philosophy, the old ethnicities and nations and their relations, so I'd feel right at home.
Native - :brazil:
Fluent - :usa: - :uk:
Can hold small talk - :spain:
Actively Learning - :france: ; :germany: ; :wales: ; :netherlands: