About the Site > Website Help and Rules

Imgur Removing Inactive / NSFW Images

<< < (2/2)

JoB:

--- Quote from: wavewright62 on April 23, 2023, 06:11:03 AM ---I am massively concerned about this, from the 'stuff not to do' section:

--- Quote ---Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network.

--- End quote ---
Does that not explicitly ban all the images we host there for use on here?

--- End quote ---
Well, yes, it does. Already (i.e., already in their current ToS).
Spoiler: show
Assuming that "we" are bound to those ToS in the first place, that is. I never formally registered with them, and enforcing "click anything and you're bound to them" ToS here is nontrivial. But on the flip side, no ToS means that they could delete my (few) images without prior notice, too.

--- Quote from: wavewright62 on April 23, 2023, 06:11:03 AM ---And to be honest, are the alternative hosting platforms more trustworthy?

--- End quote ---
https://www.quora.com/Who-originally-suggested-that-if-youre-not-paying-for-the-product-you-are-the-product

Read: They may be, as long as you have a contract with an SLA.

--- Quote from: Keep Looking on April 23, 2023, 07:21:53 AM ---On the one hand, I don't know how they'd be able to determine that the images on Imgur from our users are being posted elsewhere

--- End quote ---
Looking at the Referer: header of an HTTP(S) request to see whether it's your website including the actual image is trivial, not to mention more modern methods. Circumventing such mechanisms is trivial in theory, but it does require a fair bit of infrastructure (setting up a web proxy, or using an altered browser).

Of course, because it is comparatively trivial and popular, Imgur would have a problem claiming that they never knew about the abuse happening ...

JoB:
Quick note to the DIYers: If you're not posting much imagery (via Imgur), using the forum's search function (fill in your own username before clicking "Search") seems to work quite well. If you find that you've been talking about Imgur a lot, rather than using it to post images, try appending ".com" to the search keyword.

(It's already too late for some, though ...)

thorny:

--- Quote ---don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network
--- End quote ---

What's it for, then? Just a storage space for one's private pics, maybe to be sent directly to friends and family?

moredhel:

--- Quote from: JoB on April 22, 2023, 06:33:47 PM ---... would it be possible to have the forum's DB systematically scanned for all links pointing to Imgur, to get an idea how much storage space we'd need to have for a while-the-clock-still-ticks backup?

--- End quote ---
If storage space is a problem and it is not so much a problem it is relatively slow and downtime can happen I could offer some space (a bit more than a TB is free here).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version