Author Topic: Ideas for new Boards  (Read 17961 times)

Yannick

Ideas for new Boards
« on: October 19, 2014, 12:34:11 PM »
Hi, here are some ideas I had. Boards are by example "Forum and Website Discussion" or "SSSS Board"
If you all could help me improve them by your comments...

A- Make a "Presentations Board", with a topic by new member who wish to briefly present themselves.
I know this kind of thing exist in many forums and I found it lacking here.
(in my opinion... it isn't mandatory)
I see some have begun here http://ssssforum.pcriot.com/index.php?topic=5.msg4706#msg4706
but it is best to have a specific zone to do it, as it might greatly increase in size with new members.

B- Make a "Other Languages Board" with a topic by language, for all the not-english readers who migth have something to say but cant speak enough of english for it, while they can read some of it.
(I don't think it is my case now, but it was few years ago)
I think it is best than to let other fans make other specifics fan-forums in other languages, as it would break the community.
Whatever is created by the spirit is more alive than matter. Charles Baudelaire 1867

:france: 99%  -  :uk: 70%  -   :spain: 30%

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: Ideas for new Boards
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 01:36:42 PM »
I really like this thread.  It might be a good place to discuss the placement of threads or something, in the future.

The presentations board sounds like a superb idea.  It would be a great place for people to get acquainted and be welcomed. 

The other languages board, I feel needs some discussing.  If anyone wants to weigh in on the topic, please do. 
Would it be a board with one thread for each language?  I can make a board with sub-boards inside of it, so that more regular threads can be made.  That would mean:

(With liberal use of google translate...)
- SSSS Board

- aRTD Board

- General Discussion Board

- Forum and Website Board

- Other Language Board
     > Française Board
          --> Par le vous SSSS?
          --> Catmobile thread
          --> Dernière la page
     >  Español Board
          --> Hablar Lalli
     > Norwegian Board
     > etc.   ...
Feel free to PM.

Yannick

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 01:52:16 PM »
Hum I am french so I can help for the french part, sorry I forgot to tell it  :)

And YES to your arrangement of the boards, with "Presentation" first
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 01:54:55 PM by Yannick »
Whatever is created by the spirit is more alive than matter. Charles Baudelaire 1867

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 02:12:26 PM »
I made a thread for the presentaion - it didn't exist already, did it? It's in the General Discussion Board.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 02:18:11 PM »
I made a thread for the presentaion - it didn't exist already, did it? It's in the General Discussion Board.
Nope, it's a new thing, now.  Thanks!
Feel free to PM.

Yannick

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 02:19:27 PM »
Well ... we were speaking of a Board > only the mod can create, not a Topic, that anyone can create!

But I like your message
On kind suggestion of someone whose name I always forget! Presentation board for the newbies to introduce themselves and thus take the first step in becoming veterans! Welcome to this wonderful community - and remember to respect you elders and your eldúr!*
*All references to SSSS, Emil, Icelandic, and certain Disqus comments are purely incidental.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 02:22:06 PM by Yannick »

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 02:26:20 PM »
Well ... we were speaking of a Board > only the mod can create, not a Topic, that anyone can create!

But I like your message
Oh, I was just going to make an introductions thread in the General Discussion Board 
I thought the new board was just going to be for the language boards (which I still want some people to give some opinions on; making a new board is a big deal).
Feel free to PM.

Yannick

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 02:39:39 PM »
http://forum.cineastes.com/presentation-membres-f4/
http://www.andlil.com/forum/presentation-des-membres.html

2 sites chosen by google with a "Presentations Board"
it allow other members to ask question to a new member without too much chaos

if A speak, then B, then C ask A, then D speak, the A reply C,...
it can be a little hard to find anything

making a new board is a big deal ??? > why? it is quite easy on other forums
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 02:41:52 PM by Yannick »

Nimphy

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 02:48:57 PM »
http://forum.cineastes.com/presentation-membres-f4/
http://www.andlil.com/forum/presentation-des-membres.html

2 sites chosen by google with a "Presentations Board"
it allow other members to ask question to a new member without too much chaos

if A speak, then B, then C ask A, then D speak, the A reply C,...
it can be a little hard to find anything

making a new board is a big deal ??? > why? it is quite easy on other forums
Actually, I like it as it is. Four boards are enough, not too many, not too few, one for each esigence. Introducing yourself is a short matter, to have a discussion there are the other threads - why have a new board that will just confuse everyone?

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 05:20:09 AM »
I also think four boards is enogh, but maybe this is something a poll could solve? What people would want?

I'm also not so sure about boards for other languages - what would be there to discuss? SSSS? Why not do that in english?
That would also require mods who know those languages... Just  in case, you know. (I am not against other mods, just... for every language..)

Nimphy

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 06:11:54 AM »
I also think four boards is enogh, but maybe this is something a poll could solve? What people would want?

I'm also not so sure about boards for other languages - what would be there to discuss? SSSS? Why not do that in english?
That would also require mods who know those languages... Just  in case, you know. (I am not against other mods, just... for every language..)

I also think new language boards would be superfluous - say, we have two or three native French speakers, one or two Italians, one or two Spanish speakers, couple of Russians, then Finns, Danes and Norwegian for the most. Do we really need that many boards just for a few people? If they read SSSS, I'd say they have a good grasping of the English language!

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 06:54:52 AM »
I also think new language boards would be superfluous - say, we have two or three native French speakers, one or two Italians, one or two Spanish speakers, couple of Russians, then Finns, Danes and Norwegian for the most. Do we really need that many boards just for a few people? If they read SSSS, I'd say they have a good grasping of the English language!

Yes, exatcly what I was thinking too.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 09:08:09 AM »

You could probably lump Danish, Norwegian and Swedish together in one board though. Might be interesting for all those who have expressed a desire to learn these languages if they want to practice.

Perhaps some kind of threshold should be used - as in "if 10 or more people request a thread for this and that non-English language it can be made".

Nimphy

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 09:21:00 AM »
You could probably lump Danish, Norwegian and Swedish together in one board though. Might be interesting for all those who have expressed a desire to learn these languages if they want to practice.

Perhaps some kind of threshold should be used - as in "if 10 or more people request a thread for this and that non-English language it can be made".

Looks like a good idea to me! Both, I mean.

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 03:25:13 PM »
I had an idea - the overall SSSS board seems to have two kinds of posts:

1. Creative stuff ABOUT the comic (art, music, poetry, etc)
2. Discussion about the world/characters etc

So, I was thinking, would it be OK if I made a thread (could also be stickied, maybe?) that would be kind of like an index of the  other threads? Like, it would just have links to useful threads organized by category...
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden: